PDA

View Full Version : So you want a reliever? The Cubs have this Williamson guy.

M2
07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Sure he's always a pitch away from the DL, but the Cubs would probably be willing to move him for a neglible return.

He's just back from a DL stay with "right lateral epicondylitis" ... and, no, I have no idea what that is.

He's got some blah numbers - 4.38 ERA, 1.38 WHIP - but he's also got some intriguing numbers - 10.58 K/9, .628 OPS against.

It's going to take a number of bodies to change over the Reds bullpen. Heck, trade Tyler Pelland for him.

KronoRed
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Wonder if they would have taken Chick

reds44
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Go after Eyre and Howry.

RedLegSuperStar
07-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I hated to lose him.. unfortunatly for Williamson has been oft-injured. I'd think Chick and a PTBN would of gotten Williamson.

GAC
07-06-2006, 07:35 PM
We could send them Wom..... Oh wait! :evil:

flyer85
07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd rather have Wuertz

ochre
07-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Lateral epicondylitis
Injury to the lateral aspect of the elbow is the most common upper extremity tennis injury. Tennis elbow is generally caused by overuse of the extensor tendons of the forearm, particularly the extensor carpi radialis brevis. Commonly experienced by the amateur player, this injury is often a result of (1) a one-handed backhand with poor technique (the ball is hit with the front of the shoulder up and power generated from the forearm muscles), (2) a late forehand swing preparation with resulting wrist snap to bring the racquet head perpendicular to the ball, or (3) while serving, the ball is hit with full power and speed with wrist pronation (palm turned downward) and wrist snap which increases the stress on the already taught extensor tendons.http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/

Spitball
07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Go after Eyre and Howry.

I've been singing this song for a month or two. They signed these guys for a pennant run, but that isn't going to happen. Let us have 'em.

corkedbat
07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
If you had told me before the season that we were trying to deal LaRue (and even pick up some $$$), but he couldn't even bring a halfway-decent reliever (not even a closer) in return, I never would have believed you.

RFS62
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
If you had told me before the season that we were trying to deal LaRue (and even pick up some $$$), but he couldn't even bring a halfway-decent reliever (not even a closer) in return, I never would have believed you.

Probably wouldn't believe we'd be over .500 at the break either, would you?

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Narron's 3-catcher rotation has submarined Larue's value.

reds44
07-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Narron's 3-catcher rotation has submarined Larue's value.
No, LaRue being a bad baseball player has done that.

M2
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM

Whoa now, LaRue's had a lousy season at the plate, but he's been a good player for years and I wouldn't be surprised if he played his way into some good numbers if he got some regular reps.

oregonred
07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Probably wouldn't believe we'd be over .500 at the break either, would you?

Assuming we can find a win hiding somewhere in Hotlanta over the next 3 days.

Agree with M2 -- Larue would be ok if given reps. I still wanted him dealt in the offseason since he was a luxury on a pitching poor and cash constrained roster that couldn't be afforded a multiyear deal.

Chip R
07-07-2006, 12:56 AM
As much as I believe that Willie is an injury waiting to happen, I would take a chance on him. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Willie would be the best pitcher in our bullpen. I would also like to get Wuertz but he will probably be off limits once Big Dust is fired.

Johnny Footstool
07-07-2006, 12:59 AM

Wrong. Check his stats from the past three seasons. He's one of the best hitting and throwing catchers in baseball.

The point I was making (as M2 stated) was that with regular playing time, Larue would be hitting near his career norms. The goofy 3-catcher system has prevented him from getting into any kind of rhythm.

wheels
07-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Who do you give up to get Williamson?

How about cash, a Justin Germano type ML, and PTBNL?

Rojo
07-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Excellent idea. All we need is for that arm to hold out for app 30-40 crucial innings. 1000 flowers, baby.

Rojo
07-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Wrong. Check his stats from the past three seasons. He's one of the best hitting and throwing catchers in baseball.

The point I was making (as M2 stated) was that with regular playing time, Larue would be hitting near his career norms. The goofy 3-catcher system has prevented him from getting into any kind of rhythm.

We should trade for H.G. Wells, go back in time, then trade LaRue for Liriano and Nathan.

Seriously, I remember the Braves back in the eighties putting a lot of eggs in the catch basket - Jody Davis, Ozzie Virgil, Rick Cerone -- always picking up someone who'd had a decent season at the dish for a season or two. The lesson: don't get attached to a catcher, just grab a couple of cheap catch-and-throw guys and resign yourself to the fact there's never more than one or two good and durable catchers every generation.

Johnny Footstool
07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
We should trade for H.G. Wells, go back in time, then trade LaRue for Liriano and Nathan.

The Giants wanted a "proven winner" at the time. Pierzynski had played on a playoff team, thus was a "proven winner".

That will go down as one of the worst deals in history.

Tornon
07-07-2006, 01:38 AM
How about we give them Dumatrait & Pelland ? ;)

KronoRed
07-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Nah, overpaying ;)

Redsland
07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
No thanks.

Apparently his backhand mechanics aren't any better than his overhand. Plus his net game is terrible.

:)

gonelong
07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd sign on for Williamson, depending on what it would take to get him.

Normally I am against recycling former Reds, but I'll make an exception in this case given our bullpen woes.

GL

captainmorgan07
07-07-2006, 12:14 PM
i'll pass on scotty to many injuries heck of a red before not now

Hooligan
07-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Williamson is not worth all of that. If he could be had for something less, then maybe.

KronoRed
07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
i'll pass on scotty to many injuries heck of a red before not now
For the rest of the season and cheap I wouldn't mind it at all, if he gets hurt well then we didn't give up much for him.

REDREAD
07-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I think it's a great idea to roll the dice with Williamson. You're gambling he stays healthy. That's a lot better than gambling that a bad pitcher suddenly becomes good (Mays, Yan).

Falls City Beer
07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes to Williamson.

Falls City Beer
07-08-2006, 11:21 AM

If Ross goes down for an extended period, people are going to be thanking their stars that the Reds have Larue.

IslandRed
07-08-2006, 11:42 AM
The Giants wanted a "proven winner" at the time. Pierzynski had played on a playoff team, thus was a "proven winner".

That will go down as one of the worst deals in history.

The heck of it is, Pierzynski's a pretty good player and has continued to do his thing. Usually the historically bad deals involve a tank job of some sort.