PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds Web-Gem?

TOBTTReds
07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Coming up on SportCenter is an Edmonds highlight of a "diving" catch on the hill at Minute Maid. Can't wait to see it, I'm sure it was good, but I'm guessing he added some of his famous flair. Maybe a soccer dive in there.

reds44
07-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Coming up on SportCenter is an Edmonds highlight of a "diving" catch on the hill at Minute Maid. Can't wait to see it, I'm sure it was good, but I'm guessing he added some of his famous flair. Maybe a soccer dive in there.
He runs up the hill in CF in Houston and makes an over the shoulder catch while falling down. It was impressive.

TOBTTReds
07-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Three great plays I can think of today.

BP's double play
Zito behind the back play
Edmonds

Superdude
07-08-2006, 01:18 AM
It looked more like he made an over the shoulder catch and just tripped on that stupid hill. Nothing special...but BP! :eek:

KronoRed
07-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Good thing Grande didn't see it..he'd have passed out ;)

Jr's Boy
07-08-2006, 02:37 AM

RRTF

RBA
07-08-2006, 04:01 AM
I watched it in real time on Fox Sports Houston. It was a good play, but I didn't think it was great. The Astros broadcaster thought it was "the greatest play ever made on the hill" I thought it was an over the shoulder catch and than Edmonds fell down at the end.

jhiller21
07-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I still think Phillips' no-look flip to 2nd for the double play was better.

Edmonds made a very nice catch on that ridiculous hill in houston though :)

WMR
07-08-2006, 04:08 AM
I watched it in real time on Fox Sports Houston. It was a good play, but I didn't think it was great. The Astros broadcaster thought it was "the greatest play ever made on the hill" I thought it was an over the shoulder catch and than Edmonds fell down at the end.

Agreed.

What are the odds of George mentioning Edmonds' catch during the broadcast tomorrow?

Maybe a better question would be how many times he'll mention it...

MrCinatit
07-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Agreed.
What are the odds of George mentioning Edmonds' catch during the broadcast tomorrow?
Maybe a better question would be how many times he'll mention it...

I will guess at least 10 times.
Twice before the game.
Once during the first and the second inning each.
Three times when a pretty good play is made in the outfield ("That was good...but not as good as Edmonds' catch. Did you see that?")
Once when a pretty good play is made in the infield.
Twice while going over scores in the rest of the league. ("The Cards are doing terrible tonight...but did you see that play by Edmonds?").
Once more near the end of the game, in passing.

MATT IN CHAR NC
07-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I think that Edmonds caught the ball and fell down afterwards, just to get on SportsCenter.

RFS62
07-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I think that Edmonds caught the ball and fell down afterwards, just to get on SportsCenter.

Yep. Looked like the same old Soccer Flop Jim

Buckeye33
07-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Anyone have a link to Phillips DP play? I did not get a chance to see it last night.

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Anyone have a link to Phillips DP play? I did not get a chance to see it last night.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cin

MattyHo4Life
07-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Wow...I really can't believe you guys didn't think that was a great play by Edmonds last night. Few players would have caught that ball going up that stupid hill. He played it pefectly. The hatred for Edmonds over here is amazing.

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Wow...I really can't believe you guys didn't think that was a great play by Edmonds last night. Few players would have caught that ball going up that stupid hill. He played it pefectly. The hatred for Edmonds over here is amazing.

This is a Reds board... don't expect to come over here and find nothing but Cardinal butt kissing. It's not going to happen. Edmonds constantly takes bad routes on balls on purpose so that he can make a diving catch. Everyone knows about it.

RFS62
07-08-2006, 09:58 AM

So, Matty. Do you think there's nothing to Edmonds rep as a flopper?

We're all just imagining things?

BigRed75
07-08-2006, 10:14 AM
While it was a good catch, Jim Edmonds is still one of the biggest "hot dogs" to ever play the game. Remember the ball Junior hit that hhe "had" to jump up against the wall at Riverfront to catch to only have it bounce off his leg and Junior ends up with a game winning inside-the-park HR? Classic Jim "Show Off" Edmonds defense.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed how small Edmonds looks this year? I was always believed he was user of the juice and his dramtic decline in performance on the field and appearance further supports my suspicions.

Newman4
07-08-2006, 10:19 AM

You're right most CF would have run back turned around and caught the ball as normal. Jimmy plays shallow and runs back, finds a christmas present fall out of the sky into his arms and then rolls around like a little kid throwing a tantrum so everyone will look at him. That act is getting old. By the way, I have a long standing record of Jim Edmonds hatred, so you shouldn't be amazed.

Newman4
07-08-2006, 10:23 AM

Or "soiled" himself. :devil:

traderumor
07-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow...I really can't believe you guys didn't think that was a great play by Edmonds last night. Few players would have caught that ball going up that stupid hill. He played it pefectly. The hatred for Edmonds over here is amazing.Yea, imagine a Reds board disliking another team's hot dog player. Oh, the humanity.

Tony Cloninger
07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Being from CA and knowning the Angels very well since the 70's......Edmonds, before his trade to STL, was not well liked at all in the clubhouse.

Not some rumor...or sour grapes "after the fact"

It was his "whatever" laid back attitude...to go along with some good self promoting and making the easy plays look harder than they were type drama.
A lot of players, and while this is scapegoating at it's finest, point to JE as 1 of the reasons the 1995 team seem to crawl up in a ball and die.

He took time off....especially down the strech....with some little boo-boos...that most of the players felt he should have played through in crunch time. Also more concerned about his stats ( but Pete Rose was accused of that a lot also)

RFS62
07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey Matty. I'm not piling on you.

I'd really love to hear what you'd say about this.

Is Edmonds reputation as a flopper valid or not?

lollipopcurve
07-08-2006, 10:39 AM
It was a good catch, but not a great one. He was nowhere near full speed as he closed on the ball and he fell because of the incline of the hill. He's made many, many better catches.

Jpup
07-08-2006, 10:39 AM
It was a good catch, but not what I would call great. The catches he made in 2004 at GABP were a whole lot better. If he wasn't so slow he could have made the catch much easier.

btw, I think Edmonds has nearly reached the end of the line. He is having the worse season he has had since his rookie year as an Angel.

Edmonds 2006 .265/.364/.447/.811 10 HR 45 RBI

While he is still a good player, he is no way the Jim Edmonds we have come to expect. He's 36, I think it's starting to catch up with him. All 3 of the Reds outfielders have had better seasons than Edmonds. He might have 1 more year in him, but it won't be long before he hangs them up.

max venable
07-08-2006, 10:47 AM
BP's DP was way more impressive.

Edmonds' catch was good but to me it also looked clumsy. I agree that the only thing that made it look "spectacular" was the fact that he fell down after making it.

OldXOhio
07-08-2006, 11:02 AM
You're right most CF would have run back turned around and caught the ball as normal.

Exactly. You can clearly see Edmonds slow up as he's tracking it down. Looks like it was more important to catch the ball over his shoulder rather than just chase it down.

What's equally amazing is ESPN included it in its Sportscenter "Not so ordinary" segment. What's not ordinary about Edmonds hot dog act? We've seen it for years now.

Tommyjohn25
07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Color me unimpressed. But then again I can't stand Jim Edmonds, so maybe I'm biased.

Razor Shines
07-08-2006, 12:00 PM

Edmonds' catch was good but to me it also looked clumsy. I agree that the only thing that made it look "spectacular" was the fact that he fell down after making it.

Well that and the fact that he caught it over the wrong shoulder. It looked to me that he could have easily gotten around and turned his left shoulder towards home plate and made a fairly routine catch. But catching the ball over the wrong shoulder or directly over your head is very difficult, and like someone else said earlier he took a horrible route to that ball. I would never want a little leaguer watch him and think that is how you're supposed to play the OF. "So make every thing look harder to win Gold Gloves?"

Jr's Boy
07-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I believe the fans on this board when it comes to Edmonds ''hot dog''style are sick of it.But the fact that a paid Reds broadcasters by the name of George Grande goes nuts over this guy everytime the wind blows his way only adds fuel to the fire.

MWM
07-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I just watched it and sorry Matty but it wasn't a routine catch and it was a fine play, but it fell short of "great" for me. And I think plenty of centerfielders make that play without the "need" to make it look like a great play. He fell AFTER the catch was made and took a bad route to the ball.

RFS62
07-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh Matty. I really like and respect you. And you watch Oscar Myer... uh, Edmonds more than all of us combined.

So, I ask again. In your opinion, is there anything to his rep as a flopper?

VR
07-08-2006, 01:35 PM

BP and JC. The turn he made was a piece of art....instead of watching BP, watch JC's set up and ridiculous transfer to barely nab the runner. FL doesn't make that play, nor does any average SS. :thumbup:

Joseph
07-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Edmonds belongs in NY. His play is the only thing that matches the over hype of the Big Apple media.

Both of them are overdone and unecessary.

RANDY IN INDY
07-08-2006, 03:40 PM

After seeing the catch, I would have to agree with my son.

max venable
07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
BP and JC. The turn he made was a piece of art....instead of watching BP, watch JC's set up and ridiculous transfer to barely nab the runner. FL doesn't make that play, nor does any average SS. :thumbup:
Agreed.

reds44
07-08-2006, 04:33 PM
But Castro is overrated as a defender.
:rolleyes:

MattyHo4Life
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Yea, imagine a Reds board disliking another team's hot dog player. Oh, the humanity.

I just don't expect that hatred from Reds fanbs. I expect it from Cubs fans regardless of the reason... they hate every player on every opposing team. As a Cards fan, I've never had a hatred for Griffey, and I never bashed him when he made great plays.

MattyHo4Life
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I believe the fans on this board when it comes to Edmonds ''hot dog''style are sick of it.But the fact that a paid Reds broadcasters by the name of George Grande goes nuts over this guy everytime the wind blows his way only adds fuel to the fire.

I understand that completely. I guess I'm of the mindset that a broadcaster should be (or at least act like) a homer for that team. I see nothing wrong with that. As a fan of that team, I'd be upset if it seemed like one of "my" broadcasters was rooting for another team.

Buckeye33
07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I just don't expect that hatred from Reds fanbs. I expect it from Cubs fans regardless of the reason... they hate every player on every opposing team. As a Cards fan, I've never had a hatred for Griffey, and I never bashed him when he made great plays.

There is a reason people hate Edmonds. People would hate Edmonds even if he wasn't a Card. That he is, just makes it a lot easier. He is a selfish, hot dog player. Most people do not like that type of player.

It seems to be widely known that Edmonds takes bad jumps or slows down on balls to make sure he can make a highlight reel catch.

If Griffey was ever that type of player, people would hate him too.

You never see people that really hate Rolen, Eckstein, Pujols (maybe a little jealous) because they are down to earth good ball players. Edmonds is not.

RFS62
07-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Rolen and Pujols are two of my favorite players.

I don't hate ANY Cardinals just because they're Cardinals.

I do dislike Edmonds flopping, and it wouldn't matter where he played.

MattyHo4Life
07-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Oh Matty. I really like and respect you. And you watch Oscar Myer... uh, Edmonds more than all of us combined.

So, I ask again. In your opinion, is there anything to his rep as a flopper?

I know I have a different viewpoint of Edmonds than a lot of Cards fans. Most ofthe Cards fans that I've talked to don't see the hot dog attitude of Jimmy. I see it... he just reminds me of the typical california boy stereotype. I would probably be annoyed with his cockyness if he wasn't on my team, but I wouldn't hate him. Of course it would be nice if all ballplayers were like Scott Rolen, but they aren't. Although, I don't think he intentionally tries to make catches look more difficult than they are just to get on the highlight reel. Like most people that are really good at what they do, he makes a lot of catches look easier than they really are.

Buckeye33
07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Like most people that are really good at what they do, he makes a lot of catches look easier than they really are.

Or, he makes easier catches look harder than they are. That would be up to opinion of course.

Joseph
07-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Or, he makes easier catches look harder than they are. That would be up to opinion of course.

That, I believe, is the opinion most have of him.

As a lot of others have sad MattyMo, it's not Cardinal hate/bashing, we all [mostly] respect Pujols, and Rolen, and Eckstein etal, it's just Edmonds.

ochre
07-08-2006, 05:39 PM
we also remember the ESPN hack-job on Griffey when he first came to Cincy. While beating up on the 'surly' Griffey they were always sure to present Edmonds as teh wholesome alternative to the evil Griffey, usually accompanied by a highlight clip of Edmonds visibly slowing down so as to time his dive precisely. Perhaps the fog of time has made it seem worse than it was, but I really don't think it has. Of course, that is more of an endictment against the ESPN marmalade. Sweet and bitter wrapped in one made for TV junk journalism morsel, served on toast, that aggrandizes things so the average fan 'understands' things the ESPN way. That is to say, those that ESPN sees as evil are evil beyond comprehension; Those that are virtuous are so in perpetuity.

MattyHo4Life
07-08-2006, 05:41 PM
It seems to be widely known that Edmonds takes bad jumps or slows down on balls to make sure he can make a highlight reel catch.

It is widely suspected by Reds fans that he does that more than fans of any other team. I've visited many team forums, and I've never seen this type of hatred towards Edmonds. Reds fans think that Edmonds slows down to make the highlights, but I haven't heard that from more than just a handfull of fans from other teams.

ochre
07-08-2006, 05:44 PM
It is widely suspected by Reds fans that he does that more than fans of any other team. I've visited many team forums, and I've never seen this type of hatred towards Edmonds. Reds fans think that Edmonds slows down to make the highlights, but I haven't heard that from more than just a handfull of fans from other teams.
We under go careful indoctrination here to guarantee hive behavior...

:)

BigRed75
07-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Please don't compare Griffey to Edmonds...that's like comparing a steak to a hamburger. While Griffey might be losing a step, he never has and never will hot dog it in the field as he has too much respect for the game. He plays it like it should be played.

For the record, Jim Edmonds could play for the Reds and I would still hate him. It has nothing to do with him being a Cardinal.

max venable
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I think Matty's at least a little right about Reds fans disliking Edmonds more than other teams' fans. And part of the reason is because of what ochre said. Back when the Reds traded for Griffey, man, we were so stoked to have him in Cincinnati...we were certain that with Griff, Bichette, Larkin, Casey and the gang we were primed for a WS run (especially considering how good the Reds were in 1999). As we all know, it didn't turn out so good. Griffey was downright awful for the first half of the season...and the Reds were losing...in the meantime, the Cards were winning and their new CF, Edmonds, was hitting HRs and winning gold gloves. And Reds fans got jealous. Griffey came in with more hype and at more expense than Edmonds did and it ticked us off that he was doing better. And we never really got over it.

Do I think Edmonds hotdogs? Absolutely. But he's also a great player. And we love to hate the Cardinals.

WMR
07-08-2006, 06:23 PM
we also remember the ESPN hack-job on Griffey when he first came to Cincy. While beating up on the 'surly' Griffey they were always sure to present Edmonds as teh wholesome alternative to the evil Griffey, usually accompanied by a highlight clip of Edmonds visibly slowing down so as to time his dive precisely. Perhaps the fog of time has made it seem worse than it was, but I really don't think it has. Of course, that is more of an endictment against the ESPN marmalade. Sweet and bitter wrapped in one made for TV junk journalism morsel, served on toast, that aggrandizes things so the average fan 'understands' things the ESPN way. That is to say, those that ESPN sees as evil are evil beyond comprehension; Those that are virtuous are so in perpetuity.

:clap:

Fury thy name is Ochre!!

:clap:

MWM
07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the whole "Griffy called ESPN to complain about Jim Edmonds highlights." That was the genesis of the anti-Edmonds campaign in Cincinnati. That whole story was a bunch of BS without an ounce of truth to it. And Cards fans ran with it and still bring it up to this day when talking about Griffey. And Matty, I've been to your board and up until he hit his 500th in St. Louis, there was always TONS of Junior hatred there, almost (but not quite) to the level of Edmonds hatred here. And it was usually about him being a spoiled whiner with a bad attitude, which is completely contradictory to Junior's current image in the game.

RFS62
07-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I know I have a different viewpoint of Edmonds than a lot of Cards fans. Most ofthe Cards fans that I've talked to don't see the hot dog attitude of Jimmy. I see it... he just reminds me of the typical california boy stereotype. I would probably be annoyed with his cockyness if he wasn't on my team, but I wouldn't hate him. Of course it would be nice if all ballplayers were like Scott Rolen, but they aren't. Although, I don't think he intentionally tries to make catches look more difficult than they are just to get on the highlight reel. Like most people that are really good at what they do, he makes a lot of catches look easier than they really are.

Thanks for the response Matty. I hope you don't think I was calling you out, because that wasn't my intent. I did, however, want to know what the premier Cardinal fan who visits our site thinks about all this, and that is you.

You've got a lot of friends here, and a lot of people who respect your opinion. A lot of us count on you to be as impartial as any fan really can, because that's how you've always been in the past, IMO.

Personally, as much as I like and respect you, I think you're in denial. He's a hot dog flopper. A very talented hot dog flopper, but an Oscar Myer all the way. With extra mustard.

Pardon me, but could you please pass the Grey Poupon?

RANDY IN INDY
07-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Edmonds is the "hot dog Du Jour."

Redsland
07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
He's a hot dog flopper. A very talented hot dog flopper, but an Oscar Myer all the way. With extra mustard.
You're blind.

That's a smoked sausage.

Mmmmmmmm. :beerme:

RFS62
07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Jimmy's sweet ride

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/blackplatter/strange-vehicle-Oscar-Mayer-mobile.jpg

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2006, 11:43 PM

Well, I've heard Pirates and Cubs broadcasters say the same thing, among other fans. Everyone knows about his drama act. It's a shame that a great guy like Scott Rolen has to play in the same organization as drama queen Edmonds, HGH Pujols, and "the best team didn't win" LaRussa.

As you can see, I hate just about everything about the Cardinals organization.:D

dabvu2498
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
When I lived in Boston pre-2004, I realized Yankee-Envy was ugly.

I did not expect Cardinal-Envy to be this bad.

RANDY IN INDY
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
A hot dog is a hot dog, any way you look at it.

MATT IN CHAR NC
07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Edmonds is the "hot dog Du Jour."
I agree with my dad:beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Just noticed Matt's post. Pretty evident there is no love loss in our household for Edmonds.

We have a couple of kids on our baseball team that like to do the Edmonds flop. You get one kid making a diving catch, and every time the ball is hit, another kid is hitting the ground trying to make an easy play look spectacular. My rule as a coach is to catch every ball possible while staying on your feet. Diving as a last resort. Young kids like to stay on the ground, milking it for all it's worth, while the baserunners keep running like a merry go round. I try to praise them for getting to the ball quickly and catching it upright. Try to make the hard plays look easy.

Phhhl
07-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Edmonds has put up big numbers over his career and has been a great player. But, he is also insufferably irritating for reasons mentioned here.

His skills are obviously eroding, but that is not unexpected at his age. As one of only three hitters in that lineup that causes pitchers any concern, I definately see the Cardinals eroding with him.

I hate the Cardinals just for being Cardinals. I wouldn't expect a Reds fan to feel any different. Same goes for Cubs, Astros, Brewers and Pirates. I respect the great players on those teams, but they are the enemy.

MattyHo4Life
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I hate the Cardinals just for being Cardinals. I wouldn't expect a Reds fan to feel any different. Same goes for Cubs, Astros, Brewers and Pirates. I respect the great players on those teams, but they are the enemy.

So as a Cards fan.. I should hate the Reds?

RANDY IN INDY
07-10-2006, 08:10 PM

You will, Matty, only when and if the Reds get very good again. I remember a lot of folks that hated the Big Red Machine.

RFS62
07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Honestly, I don't hate the Cardinals. I never have.

In fact, I love their history and tradition and what they've meant to baseball over the years. I'm dead serious.

I don't have to hate the Cardinals to love the Reds.

But I loathe hot dog flopping like I truly believe Oscar Edmonds has made a career out of. And it's so unnecessary, he's such a great player without the theatrics.

So, if he's gonna flop, I'm gonna call shennagians every time I see it, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Cardinals, I promise.

max venable
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
We all would be honored to have you hate the Reds. :D

MattyHo4Life
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM
We all would be honored to have you hate the Reds. :D

You make a good point Max. I've been posting over here for years, but never felt as much hatred towards the Cardinals until now. I guess it's because the Reds are actaully a good team this year, and fans feel that they must hate the competition. I don't know, but I guess that is it. I don't hate the Reds and I never will, unless they start acting like the Cubs do. The only team that I hate is the Cubs. Cubs fans are the only fans that I dislike, and that is because they act like jerks.

ochre
07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
You make a good point Max. I've been posting over here for years, but never felt as much hatred towards the Cardinals until now. I guess it's because the Reds are actaully a good team this year, and fans feel that they must hate the competition. I don't know, but I guess that is it. I don't hate the Reds and I never will, unless they start acting like the Cubs do. The only team that I hate is the Cubs. Cubs fans are the only fans that I dislike, and that is because they act like jerks.
I think most of that is crystallized by the fact that Grande continues to be a wholesale cardinal fan-boi. There is also the tendency to continue writing the cardinals off as collectively washed up, only to have them come out and lead the pack again. Of course it doesn't hurt to follow a team that has basically, over the last month or so, had the NL central lead served up on a platter (as the reds have with the cards recent struggles), only to squander it by playing poorly.

westofyou
07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I don't have to hate the Cardinals to love the Reds.

Yep, I wa sat the game that Edmonds made that catch against LaRue and it was the best catch I'ves seen in 35 years.

I can say it and still watch the Reds without feeling envy.

RANDY IN INDY
07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't hate the Cardinals, like say, I did the Dodgers in the 70's. (By the way, I still don't like the bums) I do, however, think a good rivalry is a wonderful thing for a baseball team, and its fans. The Cardinals tradition, as RFS62 pointed out earlier, is one of the richest in baseball. When I was a kid, my favorite team, after the Reds was the Cardinals. (I think I was attracted to "red" teams) I totally respect what the Cardinals have done in the last few years, as well as throughout their history.

With that said, I would love to see a Reds/Cardinals rivalry that approached the proportions of the Reds/Dodgers rivalry in the 70's. It's something that has been missing from the Reds since the division switch. Do I think it will happen? It's really hard to say, but I kinda doubt it. Baseball in the 70's was a special time for the Reds, and that probably will never be captured again, in my lifetime. Special players, special rivalries, and a tradition of winning. We can only hope that the Reds and Cardinals or some other team in the division can approach that kind of thing. It would be special and I would love to see it.

gonelong
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't know, but I guess that is it. I don't hate the Reds and I never will, unless they start acting like the Cubs do. The only team that I hate is the Cubs. Cubs fans are the only fans that I dislike, and that is because they act like jerks.

Let the Reds put a nice 5-6 year run of dominance on the Cards, complete with chest thumping and taunting by Reds fans and a mild dislike might form over time. :)

GL

MattyHo4Life
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I think most of that is crystallized by the fact that Grande continues to be a wholesale cardinal fan-boi.

Once again, I totally understand how Reds fans would be upset with Grande. I woner why he isn't still broadcasting for the Cardinals.

As far as a rivalry between the Reds and Cardinals... I would love to see that. It won't happen unless the Reds can remain competetive for years to come. The Cardinals and Astros seem to have a mini rivalry only because the Astros have been competetive for the last several years. It can' match the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry though... not even close.

MattyHo4Life
07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Let the Reds put a nice 5-6 year run of dominance on the Cards, complete with chest thumping and taunting by Reds fans and a mild dislike might form over time. :)

GL

I never did that.

gonelong
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
I never did that.

I know full well that you didn't, but I am sure you can point out a few guys on your home team forum that would/do. We have our share here that would do the same.

GL

RANDY IN INDY
07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Once again, I totally understand how Reds fans would be upset with Grande. I woner why he isn't still broadcasting for the Cardinals.

As far as a rivalry between the Reds and Cardinals... I would love to see that. It won't happen unless the Reds can remain competetive for years to come. The Cardinals and Astros seem to have a mini rivalry only because the Astros have been competetive for the last several years. It can' match the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry though... not even close.

The Cardinals will have to remain competitive, as well, Matty. There is no guarantee that will happen either.

MattyHo4Life
07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
The Cardinals will have to remain competitive, as well, Matty. There is no guarantee that will happen either.

That is true... nothing is guaranteed in baseball.

max venable
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
4 pages of posts on a Jim Edmonds web-gem thread...amazing.

Big Klu
07-11-2006, 03:47 PM
We under go careful indoctrination here to guarantee hive behavior...

:)

Buzzzz-buzzzzzzz-buzzz-buzzzzzzzz. ;)

And I wouldn't call Jim Edmonds, a.k.a "The Jim Brown of Baseball", a hot dog.

(I prefer the term, "wiener"! :D )

OldXOhio
07-11-2006, 04:15 PM
4 pages of posts on a Jim Edmonds web-gem thread...amazing.

Hmmm, did Jim Edmonds have a web-gem? Hadn't noticed.