PDA

View Full Version : Why we love Brandon Phillips

reds44
07-07-2006, 11:52 PM
ATLANTA -- In addition to that rather amazing play he made, which he claims to practice in BP all the time, this was Phillips' summation of why you can't give up early. Hang with him here:

"Youíve got to keep on playing. Itís a funny game, and nothingís over until you celebrate at the end. Some people say the fat lady sings, but fat ladies donít sing all the time. It could be a pretty girl singing. I donít care what kind of girl it is, as long as weíre on the winning side."
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KronoRed
07-08-2006, 01:27 AM
If this baseball thing doesn't work out he has a future on the stand up circuit ;)

GAC
07-08-2006, 06:25 AM
He's a regular Chapelle (and always smiling).

He is my favorite Red right now; but I have always had a preference for 2Bman. ;)

Chip R
07-08-2006, 08:18 AM
He's a regular Chapelle (and always smiling).

He is my favorite Red right now; but I have always had a preference for 2Bman. ;)

I seem to remember another great fielding 2nd baseman for the Reds who smiled a lot and was beloved for his defense. Unfortunately, when it came time for him to start making big money, he was not smiling any longer and his play suffered. Now he is out of baseball. Hopefully Brandon will turn out better than Pokey did.

Redsland
07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I think Brandon would say that sometimes the Pokey sings, and sometimes it doesn't matter whether the Pokey sings at Redsfest, or in Boston, or Colorado, or Pittsburgh. All that matters is that whenever the Pokey sings, you don't ask him about his contract. Or put him at the shortstop position he begged to play for all those years. But whatever he sings, I think Brandon would say he doesn't know the words. He just wants pretty girls to sing it too. And win and stuff.

:rockband:

Johnny Footstool
07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
I think Brandon would say that sometimes the Pokey sings, and sometimes it doesn't matter whether the Pokey sings at Redsfest, or in Boston, or Colorado, or Pittsburgh. All that matters is that whenever the Pokey sings, you don't ask him about his contract. Or put him at the shortstop position he begged to play for all those years. But whatever he sings, I think Brandon would say he doesn't know the words. He just wants pretty girls to sing it too. And win and stuff.

:rockband:

Indubitibalallyity.

GAC
07-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I seem to remember another great fielding 2nd baseman for the Reds who smiled a lot and was beloved for his defense. Unfortunately, when it came time for him to start making big money, he was not smiling any longer and his play suffered. Now he is out of baseball. Hopefully Brandon will turn out better than Pokey did.

Yeah, but I don't think Pokey was ever know for his offensive potential.... BP is.

And the reason Pokey is out of BB was due to personal problems outside of baseball that got the best of him in the end.

So far, I don't see that with BP (now, or in the past), and IMO, Phillips could very easily have an attitude when being jerked around by the Indians.

Chip R
07-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah, but I don't think Pokey was ever know for his offensive potential.... BP is.

And the reason Pokey is out of BB was due to personal problems outside of baseball that got the best of him in the end.

So far, I don't see that with BP (now, or in the past), and IMO, Phillips could very easily have an attitude when being jerked around by the Indians.

I am not saying the two are twins but there are some similarities there. Pokey was acceptable when he was hitting .250 and playing great defense. He was a golden child that wore his hat crooked and kids loved him. When the opportunity came to make big money, he could not handle it.

Now along comes Brandon Phillips. Great defense and he hits well too. Whether this year is a fluke is hard to say. But I see some similarities there. I am certainly not going to anoint Brandon as the next Joe Morgan anytime soon.

KronoRed
07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Pokey hit .285 once and was going to be an allstar ;)