PDA

View Full Version : Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

WMR
07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I say yes. It would make the event much more interesting if they brought the truly best sluggers. Dunn, Wily Mo, Griff, BONDS (:eek: )

RedsManRick
07-09-2006, 06:51 PM
On BP Radio they said that Dunn was indeed invite to the HR Derby and he basically told them "hell no". They said that Dunn made a comment like "Playing in the HR derby when you aren't in the AS Game is like being asked to play football and then being told you're the holder."

KronoRed
07-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Holder :lol: :lol:

Jpup
07-09-2006, 08:00 PM
no. I echo Adam's sentiment.

Caveat Emperor
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
The Home Run Derby is moronic to begin with -- and then it's made borderline unwatchable by Chris Berman going "Back, Back, Back, Back...GONE!" on every home run.

You could make a great drinking game out of it, but that would actually necessitate WATCHING the Home Run derby.

Jpup
07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
The Home Run Derby is moronic to begin with -- and then it's made borderline unwatchable by Chris Berman going "Back, Back, Back, Back...GONE!" on every home run.

You could make a great drinking game out of it, but that would actually necessitate WATCHING the Home Run derby.

I like it.

anything to do with baseball and I'm all over it.

Spitball
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Didn't they have a nationality theme and Hee-Seop Choi, though not an all-star, participated representing South Korea?

Jpup
07-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Didn't they have a nationality theme and Hee-Seop Choi, though not an all-star, participated representing South Korea?

yes, last year. They aren't doing that this year. I'm glad.

Red in Chicago
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
the contest is entirely too long...several of the "biggest" names no longer participate and as jpup already stated, "back, back, back" is just plain sickening:thumbdown

Yachtzee
07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
The things I hate about HR Derby:

1. Chris Berman
2. The whole Century 21 "Win someone a house" game. If you're going give someone a free house, make them get out in the field and work for that house. Person who shags the most flies, wins.
3. Ballplayers in the dugout with with video cameras. I like my pro ballplayers to act like professionals and not like tourists. If you want to sit there with a video camera, sit in the stands like the rest of the fans. Exhibition or not. I just feel like they aren't taking it seriously. If the players aren't taking it seriously, then I can't.

Yachtzee
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
On BP Radio they said that Dunn was indeed invite to the HR Derby and he basically told them "hell no". They said that Dunn made a comment like "Playing in the HR derby when you aren't in the AS Game is like being asked to play football and then being told you're the holder."

Maybe if they made it worth his time. Winner gets a new bass boat.

redsrule2500
07-10-2006, 01:53 AM
No.

WMR
07-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Maybe if they made it worth his time. Winner gets a new bass boat.

Yachtzee I hope you're saving these one liners!! :laugh: :evil: :laugh:

The Baumer
07-10-2006, 06:00 AM
The things I hate about HR Derby:

1. Chris Berman
2. The whole Century 21 "Win someone a house" game. If you're going give someone a free house, make them get out in the field and work for that house. Person who shags the most flies, wins.
3. Ballplayers in the dugout with with video cameras. I like my pro ballplayers to act like professionals and not like tourists. If you want to sit there with a video camera, sit in the stands like the rest of the fans. Exhibition or not. I just feel like they aren't taking it seriously. If the players aren't taking it seriously, then I can't.

Besides #1 all of those sound a bit jaded/mean. The only way I can see your demands being warranted is if you owned season tickets to PNC park, then their business would be your business.

chicoruiz
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Okay, my plan to fix the Home Run Derby:

1. Two reps from each team: a current player and a recently retired "legend". The Reds, for example could be represented by Dunn and Eric Davis. Or Junior and his dad; how cool would that be?

2. Ten swings for each entrant, to determine six division champs.

3. A second round to determine the champions.

4. All players will wear mikes.

redsmetz
07-10-2006, 09:39 AM

1. Two reps from each team: a current player and a recently retired "legend". The Reds, for example could be represented by Dunn and Eric Davis. Or Junior and his dad; how cool would that be?

Great ideas and intriguing at that.

One take from my father-in-law out in Missouri. He was fretting all week while I was there that Albert Pujols would participate and hurt his back again. Pujols, probably wisely, opted out. I'm also concerned about guys messing with their batting stroke, but it's possible they do that in BP.

registerthis
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM

Hell, I can buy the house. What I'd love is for someone to pick up a lifetime's supply of the tax asssessments. That's where the true value is.

FlyingPig
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Good idea except the Pirates have no living "recently retired legends." All the legends that played there got out and retired somewhere else..Who would Bay play with? Bill Mazeroski?

:confused:

Stewie
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Good idea except the Pirates have no living "recently retired legends." All the legends that played there got out and retired somewhere else..Who would Bay play with? Bill Mazeroski?

Clearly someone is forgetting about Chico Lind. That's what could make it fun, to see an out of shape, mid-40s Chico Lind try and crank homers.

Mike LaValliere would also probably get the job done. Based on his appearance during his playing days, it might be fun to see what he looks like now that he has been out of the league for ten years.

I actually like the original idea, even if Chico and Spanky don't make the cut for the Pirates. The home run derby does have some potential, but in its current format it is simply too exhausting to follow. Chris Berman doesn't help, either.

Big Klu
07-10-2006, 09:43 PM

Their best bet would be Andy Van Slyke.

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I was just about to suggest Mr.Van Slyke

What do teams like the D-rays do? McGriff? ;)

Matt700wlw
07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
The 8 invites should be the top 4 guys on top of the HR leader list from each league.

If they turn it down, move on to the next guy on the list.

Then they need to shorten it so it doesn't take 3+ hours like it did last year.

Big Klu
07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I was just about to suggest Mr.Van Slyke

What do teams like the D-rays do? McGriff? ;)

Or maybe Wade Boggs or Jose Canseco. ;)

GAC
07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Isn't Dunn spending the break on Griffey's yacht with Jr? That's what I heard. ;)

So he has that option.... or listening to Berkman's assinine comments while guys see how far they can hit soft tosses thrown at them while the fans go "OOOOOH.... AHHHHHH" :lol:

The Hr derby, IMO, is a farce. I don't waste my time.

Big Klu
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I miss the old TV show Home Run Derby, with the stars from the 50's. I wish ESPN would still show it, instead of spelling bees, poker, and dominoes.

Matt700wlw
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
I miss the old TV show Home Run Derby, with the stars from the 50's. I wish ESPN would still show it, instead of spelling bees, poker, and dominoes.

Don't forget about Scrabble. :D

paintmered
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I can usually only tolerate about 15 minutes of the home run derby every year. I lasted about 20 minutes this year before I couldn't take it anymore.

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Scrabble is a sport???

Mrs.Krono rocks at Scrabble!

I married an athlete!!!! :D

TOBTTReds
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I know in the NBA they ask others to do the dunk contest. In his rookie year, LeBron was asked to do it even though he got snubbed from the game. He had the same response as Dunn, with out the football comment

GAC
07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Scrabble is a sport???

Mrs.Krono rocks at Scrabble!

I married an athlete!!!! :D

One also has to look at her opposition. She obviously plays in the NL Central. ;)