PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half possibilities

UPRedsFan
07-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok, thinking positive now, what changes could happen from within to give the Reds a strong 2nd half?

Here are some possibilities:

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?)

Which of these are most likely and will have the biggest impact? I'd say Claussen and Belisle. What others did I leave out?

Redhook
07-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok, thinking positive now, what changes could happen from within to give the Reds a strong 2nd half?

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00 - Not counting on it, but it will be needed for the Reds to have a chance. Mays should be off the team shortly.

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy - I don't think he's consistent enough, unfortunately.

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey - Mercker is anything but reliable.

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy - Definite possibility if he stops tipping his pitches.

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi - He won't get those numbers for two reasons 1) He needs to play and Narron seems to be a moron when it comes to EE 2) EE is not quite ready to put up those numbers in 75+ games....I would like .280, 12hr and 40rbi

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half - Just stay healthy!

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?) - Weathers need to be honest with the organization. He's not the same.

Which of these are most likely and will have the biggest impact? I'd say Claussen and Belisle. What others did I leave out?

My responses are in bold.

Jpup
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00

that would be great. I would take a 4.50 ERA

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy

He'll have to pitch more than once a week to pitch well. He doesn't get enough opportunities IMO.

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey

That's possible, but I would prefer the Reds trade him for someone younger.

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy

There is no way he can pitch like he did in April and May for an entire season, but he's better than what he has shown in the last month or so.

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi

Narron will have to be let go before that will happen unless they move him to another posistion. I can't see Narron letting him play 3rd everyday.

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half

Let's hope.

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?)

Hopefully he'll get checked out over the next 3 days.

:beerme:

goreds2
07-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I would hope Paul Wilson could make some starts in August, September and hopefully October. ;)

His coming back is a VERY BIG KEY.

:wilson:

Gallen5862
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Grant Balfour hopefully will be able to help soon as well.

Redhook
07-10-2006, 06:52 AM
I would hope Paul Wilson could make some starts in August, September and hopefully October. ;)

If he's a very big key, we're in deep, deep trouble because it'd be a minor miracle if he helps this team this year.

goreds2
07-10-2006, 08:01 AM
If he's a very big key, we're in deep, deep trouble because it'd be a minor miracle if he helps this team this year.

"Friday (July 7th), right-hander Paul Wilson threw 94 pitches in six simulated innings. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Sunday in Cincinnati."

Krusty
07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Can't really count on Claussen especially after he got rocked in his first rehab assignment.

Balfour is a Dan O'Brien acquisition. Need I say more?

Paul Wilson? Burnt toast.

Make a deal for a setup man with either Scott Williamson, Joe Borowski or Roberto Hernandez coming to Cincy.

Acquire a fifth starter like Brad Radke, Mark Redman or even RHP Jon Leiber.

flyer85
07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
a 28 year old Balfour coming off multiple arm injuries is most likely nothing to get excited about. Same goes for Wilson. The odds are long for either player helping the Reds this season.

GridironGrace
07-10-2006, 02:01 PM
All i know is... no matter what all these guys do after the break, and no matter who's playing, or who's playing where.. we gotta get some wins in the 2nd half of July or come August we will be MIA, and a great first half goes down the drain.

we have ONE win in July......ONE.

16 Games left in July and most are vs the Brewers and Astros.

bounty37h
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I dont understand blaming Narron for EE not being able to field, or throw, a frickin baseball.

Roy Tucker
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I'll take #6 and #7. Possibly #3.

The rest is a big negatory unfortunately.

Jpup
07-10-2006, 02:52 PM

hello, DanO.;)

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I dont understand blaming Narron for EE not being able to field, or throw, a frickin baseball.
He field it better then the solid vet group;)

Handofdeath
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM

Paul Wilson is a 33 year old pitcher with a bad throwing shoulder. He has thrown over 180 innings in a season twice. He has also never won more than 11 games in a season. The season he did win 11 games he had a WHIP of 1.38 and had a 5.38 ERA after the All-Star break. Three complete games in a 153 career starts? Paul Wilson is no savior. Watching him pitch is like watching two kids play ball in the house. You know something is going to break, you just don't when and where.

schroomytunes
07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
We are gonna have to look outside of the organization if were gonna acquire any kind of help in the 2nd half. IMO, at Louisville we have nothing really able to count on. Out of all the responses I've read on this post I have to agree with Krusty's, we need to acquire some pitching, not lights out guys, but solid back of the rotation guys, or crafty former closer's. Our rotation is not that bad, we just need to be more consistant in the 4-5 spots. Of what's available out there on the market I would go after, and I'll try to put them in order of what I think will be the easiest for us to acquire:

Rotation-Mark Redman, Kip Wells, Kris Benson, Jon Leiber, Horacio Ramirez, Brad Radke, Kyle Lohse. Everyone else is probably too much $$$ for the production expected.

Bullpen-Elmer Dessens, Damaso Marte, Joe Borowski, Jon Grabow, Latroy Hawkins, Will Ohman, Scott Williamson.

I would try to do 1 of 2 package deals for the above guys, I would offer prospects or fringe players(belisle,standridge etc.) to land 2 guys. We need a reliever and a starter IMO to make a serious run at the DIvision. So here's my take:

Option 1: MArk Redman and Elmer Dessens
Option 2: Kip Wells and Damaso Marte

BEETTLEBUG
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Can't really count on Claussen especially after he got rocked in his first rehab assignment.

Balfour is a Dan O'Brien acquisition. Need I say more?

Paul Wilson? Burnt toast.

Make a deal for a setup man with either Scott Williamson, Joe Borowski or Roberto Hernandez coming to Cincy.

Acquire a fifth starter like Brad Radke, Mark Redman or even RHP Jon Leiber.

He maybe an OB pickup but Special K knows him from TWINS.

BEETTLEBUG
07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
We are gonna have to look outside of the organization if were gonna acquire any kind of help in the 2nd half. IMO, at Louisville we have nothing really able to count on. Out of all the responses I've read on this post I have to agree with Krusty's, we need to acquire some pitching, not lights out guys, but solid back of the rotation guys, or crafty former closer's. Our rotation is not that bad, we just need to be more consistant in the 4-5 spots. Of what's available out there on the market I would go after, and I'll try to put them in order of what I think will be the easiest for us to acquire:

Rotation-Mark Redman, Kip Wells, Kris Benson, Jon Leiber, Horacio Ramirez, Brad Radke, Kyle Lohse. Everyone else is probably too much $$$ for the production expected.

Bullpen-Elmer Dessens, Damaso Marte, Joe Borowski, Jon Grabow, Latroy Hawkins, Will Ohman, Scott Williamson.

I would try to do 1 of 2 package deals for the above guys, I would offer prospects or fringe players(belisle,standridge etc.) to land 2 guys. We need a reliever and a starter IMO to make a serious run at the DIvision. So here's my take:

Option 1: MArk Redman and Elmer Dessens
Option 2: Kip Wells and Damaso Marte

I would like either option. Which do you think is the better of the two. They would get the other one.

schroomytunes
07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
If I had to choose I take the KC package, its more of what we need, although I like Marte and I think Wells will come around, but by taking Wells we give up less prospects because he's coming back from surgery.

forfreelin04
07-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I would like either option. Which do you think is the better of the two. They would get the other one.

I don't this has been mentioned, but keep in mind this trading deadline is a competition. It's not as if Kriv can just pick who he wants instantly throw an offer on the table and see it through. They are a boatload of other teams espcially in our own division vying for similar help. I dont think Redman Dessens or Wells and Marte become Reds without us giving up something of good value to the current Reds team ala Dunn or blue chip prospects ala Bailey Bruce Votto. However the question arises would you rather trade a blue chip or a proven current Red? Personally, I would go with a proven Red because I don't see Dunn, Lopez, or Kearns driving themselves to be regulars at the All Star Games a year from now.

Which bring up an interesting side note. Off the top of my head I do not know how many HR's Dunn has at this point but I know he is well on pace to hit 50 if not 55. 50 Home Runs is a number which puts Dunn in a coveted place. I say keep Dunn until the season is over and especially if we tank or even sputter to a .500 season. Then in the off season hatch a blockbuster with an AL team that would like to build around him as their DH. I feel that after a 50 HR season, he alone would put an end to our horrific pitching woes for years to come. Just a thought.

RedEye
07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
For some reason I have this sinking feeling that Kriv will go out and trade for two reliable relievers. Not that this is bad in itself, but I also have the feeling that the starters will turn back into pumpkins and tip the pitching scales in the other direction, the one that we are more familiar with in recent years: good bullpen, no starting pitching. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Sorry to be a pessimist, that's just the feeling I have right now after so many disappointing games before the break.

Blue
07-11-2006, 01:56 AM
I think Krivsky knows that we need a stud starting pitcher. We'll see if he can come up with one.

However, its not as if trading for two reliable relievers would be a bad thing even if this team doesn't make it to the postseason. The free agent market coming up is pretty terrible, and if you want to sign a good reliever, it'll cost you a draft pick. So, if by trading for a reliever you can sign them in the postseason without giving up a draft pick, you've improved the team for next year as well.

I really think Krivsky knows what he's doing. We'll see if he's able to put something together in what appears to be a quiet trading season.