PDA

View Full Version : Marty To Be Off A Few Days (Nuxie to fill in)

goreds2
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I heard on the Tracy Jones Show tonight that Marty will be off a few games after the All-Star break. It looks like Joe Nuxhall will "PINCH HIT" those games. Maybe he will change the Reds tide for the better. Tracy did not say how many games Marty B. will be off.

Besides "Rounding 3rd Heading For Home", my favorite Nuxhall line is when a pitcher bats he says, "If you swing the bat, you're dangerous". :thumbup:

dabvu2498
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Marty will be back after the Rockies series.

He and M. Lancaster discussed each other's vacation plans during the 2nd inning last night because there was nothing else to talk about. :dunno:

goreds2
07-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Marty will be back after the Rockies series.

He and M. Lancaster discussed each other's vacation plans during the 2nd inning last night because there was nothing else to talk about. :dunno:

Thanks for the information.

remdog
07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
What happened? Did he tear a rotator cuff patting himself on the back? :D

Rem

KronoRed
07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Steve and Joe :)

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
if memory serves the reds have lost every single game joe has broadcast over the last year or so

goreds2
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
if memory serves the reds have lost every single game joe has broadcast over the last year or so

I knew it was not so good concerning Joe's fill in record. Things even out.....

reds1869
07-10-2006, 09:22 AM

The Reds also play .200 ball when I go to GABP, but that's not my fault, right? :)

Sea Ray
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Marty's had this break planned for awhile.

Do most team's play by play guy take week off somewhere in the season or is Marty just a prima donna?

goreds2
07-10-2006, 12:31 PM

Do most team's play by play guy take week off somewhere in the season or is Marty just a prima donna?

I think Marty just did it to give Joe broadcast time. Marty does not want 3 people in the booth.

Heath
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
The Reds also play .200 ball when I go to GABP, but that's not my fault, right? :)

If that's the case, I'm undefeated this year home and away. BobbyC - call me :thumbup:

Sea Ray
07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Marty just did it to give Joe broadcast time. Marty does not want 3 people in the booth.

No one wants three in the booth. No, I think Marty wants the time off for golf. Despite what Steve Stewart says publically, he's really irritated that Joe won't go away and I can't blame him.

Matt700wlw
07-10-2006, 03:37 PM

John Allen also told Marty last year that if he would like to start taking some vaction time off, then go ahead. He'd never done it previously, so he decided to do it. He's earned it.

He likes taking his vacations during homestands because he still enjoys travelling to the different cities during the season.

Sea Ray
07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
John Allen also told Marty last year that if he would like to start taking some vaction time off, then go ahead. He'd never done it previously, so he decided to do it. He's earned it.

He likes taking his vacations during homestands because he still enjoys travelling to the different cities during the season.

Is this typical of other announcers Marty's age? Do most teams give their 60 something guys breaks from the 162 game season?

Matt700wlw
07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Is this typical of other announcers Marty's age? Do most teams give their 60 something guys breaks from the 162 game season?

I don't know.

Ltlabner
07-10-2006, 05:13 PM

Geez dude...if you don't like Marty why don't you just come out with it then? Do you not like the idea of him taking time off in the middle of the season?

Despite what Steve Stewart says publically, he's really irritated that Joe won't go away and I can't blame him.

You got any backup for this? I'd be currious to hear it because Steves been nothing but gracious and welcoming to Joe.

goreds2
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM

I don't think Vin Skully goes on the road with the Dodgers. (not 100% sure though)

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
He doesn't go east with them, he does the road games out west

If I'm not mistaken.

Unassisted
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
He likes taking his vacations during homestands because he still enjoys travelling to the different cities during the season.Marty probably likes the meal money and swank hotel service that comes with a road trip. (Will you be needing our turndown service tonight, sir? Let me hold that door for you, sir.) I would too. :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Marty probably likes the meal money and swank hotel service that comes with a road trip. (Will you be needing our turndown service tonight, sir? Let me hold that door for you, sir.) I would too. :thumbup:

Don't forget the golf. Can't blame the guy....perks are great!

Sea Ray
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
He doesn't go east with them, he does the road games out west

If I'm not mistaken.

I think Vin Scully doesn't go east of the Rockies. He is in his 80s too.

He's still the best, even as an octogenarian

goreds2
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
On WLW today, the Jones and Brennaman on Baseball segment said Marty will be back for the July 18th game.

Podcast at the bottom of this LINK:

http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast.html

Cedric
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I think Vin Scully doesn't go east of the Rockies. He is in his 80s too.

He's still the best, even as an octogenarian

You aint lyin. I remember in my younger days sneaking into the bar on Saturdays at the bowling alley and listening to Vin Scully on the national NBC game of the week. I got yelled at a few times from the family for missing my turn, but it was worth it.

Good stuff.

And don't even get me started on the idiocy of MLB and how they ruined game of the week on NBC. I was just a young pup, but I still can't believe how dumb they were.

Chip R
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM

In his latter days, Jack Buck only did home games for the Cards. I know Harry Carey didn't always travel with the Cubs after his heart attack. It is odd for an announcer to miss home games but it's Marty's decision.

goreds2
07-12-2006, 11:04 PM
WLW did not update their schedule today. Joe Nuxhall was on Andy Furman tonight. I caught the last 15 minutes.

goreds2
07-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Joe is doing a great job tonight. (GREAT MEMORIES :notworthy )

goreds2
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Joe Nuxhall even did the STAR OF THE GAME last night. Very good memories. :clap: