PDA

View Full Version : ChipR - Cincinnati Buckeyes

GAC
07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Many of you may know that we have another multi-talented individual on this forum (besides me ;) ).

One of our resident mods, Chip, plays 2B/pitches for a traditional 1869 baseball team, based out of Cincy, called the Cincinnati Buckeyes.

They travelled up my way today to play a local team, the Champion City Reapers, outside of West Liberty, Ohio.

The Buckeyes won pretty 13-4.

I took my 10 yr old son Samuel down to watch, and we also met up with the ever lovely Kitty Duran.

It was a beautiful day, and we all really enjoyed ourselves immensely watching how they played baseball in the mid 19th century.

I also was very impressed with the knowledge the players on each team had concerning the rules, customs, and how some of today's baseball terminology came into existence. It was a very educational experience.

If anyone ever has a chance to go to one of these games, they will not regret it one bit.

I'm pretty sure this is the website....

http://www.vbba.org/members/cincibuckeyes.html

Chipster was definitely in form. Everyone has a nickname. Kitty said that Chip's is Leadfoot. I kept calling him Leadbelly! :lol:

But running the bases Kitty and I decided that we now know what happened to Dante Bichette! :lol:

But he does play a smart 2B. ;)

Here are some pics....

KronoRed
07-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Chip looks scrappy :clap:

KittyDuran
07-09-2006, 09:59 PM
And here is Chip and GAC!

GAC
07-09-2006, 10:02 PM
That was Chip with his victory stoggie. ;)

KronoRed
07-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Coca-Cola product placement :D

GAC
07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
There was also Christian Moerlein. ;)

Johnny Vander m
07-09-2006, 10:07 PM
They can't afford gloves GAC?

GAC
07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
They can't afford gloves GAC?

They didn't play with gloves then. ;)

Johnny Vander m
07-09-2006, 10:13 PM
They didn't play with gloves then. ;)

Oh ok, I knew Chip was old but didn't realize just how old. Could he still run to the base,,,,in case they walked him?

Chip R
07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
You should know that, Wetzel. You were around in 1869. :lol:

GAC and his #2 son actually took some swings after the game today off one of our guys. GAC kept trying to hit sac flies. ;)

After the game we went over to where GAC is building his new house. It is really starting to come together and it is looking great. Hopefully the family will be in their new house sometime next month. :)

GAC
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh ok, I knew Chip was old but didn't realize just how old. Could he still run to the base,,,,in case they walked him?

I don't think you could walk then.... which really killed most player's OB%! :lol:

I think the rule was - the pitcher had to make a pitch hittable for the batter. It was a gentleman's game. ;)

Other rules....

If caught on the first bounce, the player was out

You over ran 1B at your own risk. If you did, you could be tagged out.

They had a cowbell behind homeplate, so that when a runner scored/crossed home he'd ring the bell that a run had scored.

The "umps" could ask fans for their verdict on certain close plays. If the fans said they were safe/out, then that was the decision made.

Some of the baseball lingo came from nautical terms, from men who were recently released from the war.... on deck, in the hold

BCubb2003
07-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Coca-Cola wasn't invented for another 17 years. And the Sabre-metricians had real sabres.

Johnny Vander m
07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
You should know that, Wetzel. You were around in 1869. :lol:

GAC and his #2 son actually took some swings after the game today off one of our guys. GAC kept trying to hit sac flies. ;)

After the game we went over to where GAC is building his new house. It is really starting to come together and it is looking great. Hopefully the family will be in their new house sometime next month. :)

But Chip, I was only 5 years old at the time and was another 2 years before we got TV. Then I went into the Navy before we could afford an antenna.
Cut me some slack Jack. Waite Hoyte Sr never said anything about them not wearing gloves.

Tornon
07-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Other rules....

If caught on the first bounce, the player was out

You over ran 1B at your own risk. If you did, you could be tagged out.

They had a cowbell behind homeplate, so that when a runner scored/crossed home he'd ring the bell that a run had scored.

The "umps" could ask fans for their verdict on certain close plays. If the fans said they were safe/out, then that was the decision made.

Some of the baseball lingo came from nautical terms, from men who were recently released from the war.... on deck, in the hold

I've seen some of the Columbus Muffins games, I thought it was pretty funny how the players had to pay the umpire right then & there if they used profanity

KittyDuran
07-09-2006, 10:37 PM
One of the Reapers came to play wearing shorts (which of course, are non-regulation) and it was explained that he was involved in a carriage accident and half his pants came off... The umpire also asked the crowd, and especially us ladies, if we were offended by the display...:D

KittyDuran
07-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Base Ball Rules of 1860

From the Rules and Regulations of the Game of Base Ball Adopted by the National Association of Base Ball Players March 14, 1860

The ball is pitched underhanded from anywhere behind the pitcher's line.
The batsman must stand on or straddle a line through home plate.
The pitcher must deliver the ball as requested by the batsman, who holds out the bat to indicate where the ball is to be sent.
Pitches are not judged as balls or strikes, but the umpire may call a strike if the batsman persists in not swinging at well-pitched balls.
The ball is judged fair or foul according to where it first touches the ground (people, structures, and trees don't count as the ground).
Articles of clothing such as a hat or mittens may not be used to catch a ball.
An out is declared if
►a hit ball is caught on the fly or the first bound, including foul ticks to the catcher.
►a batsman misses swinging at three pitched balls and the third strike is caught by the catcher on the fly or first bound. It the catcher misses the pitch, the umpire will declare the ball to be fair and the batsman must make his run to first base.
►a ball arrives in the hands of a baseman whose foot is upon the base prior to a base runner who is required to make that base.
►a ball in the hands of an adversary touches a base runner not safely on his base.
►a base runner does not return to his original base before a caught fly ball reaches the same base.
►a base runner overruns any base and is touched by the ball in the hands of an adversary.
A base runner may not advance on any foul ball and must return to his original base. He may be tagged out if not there after the ball has been settled in the hands of the pitcher.
A base runner may advance at his own risk on a fair ball caught on the bound.
A base runner may advance after a fair fly ball is caught provided he has tagged his most recent base after the ball is in the hands of the fielder.
A base runner must run for the next base if the ball is hit, and the force remains on even if an out is made behind the advancing runner.

Rule Differences Between Base Ball and Baseball (1860s vs 2000s)

One Bounder - Until 1864 the batsman was out if the ball was caught one bound. However baserunners are not forced to run on a one-bounder and the force play is off in such a situation.
Force Plays -The force play stays on even if the first out is made behind the runner.
Fair Fouls - Balls are considered fair if they first hit the ground in fair territory. Skilled strikers will intentionally hit in fair territory and then spin into foul.
Foul Balls and the Runner - No runner can advance on a foul ball and the ball becomes alive when the pitcher touches it. The runner can be put out if he is late returning to the base.
Stealing Bases and Sliding - Bases may only be pilfered when a muff occurs by the behind who does not field the pitch on the first hop or fly. There is no sliding.
Gloves, Bats and Balls - Gloves were not used until the 1880s. Broken fingers are not rare. Bats were made of any type wood but ash was the most popular. The 1860 ball was slightly softer larger, heavier and than the modern ball. The ball began the games hard but softened as game proceeds as only one per game was used.
Team Striking Order - Team striking first is determined by Stone Toss.
Vintage Vocabulary
Striker = Batter
Hurler = Pitcher
Behind = Catcher
Leg it = Run!
Crank = Fan
Huzzah! = Hurrah
Ballist = Ball Player
Daisy Cutter = Ground Ball
Sky Ball = Pop Up
Mascot = Bat Boy
Foul Tick = Foul Ball
Dead = Out
Muff = Error
Good Ginger = Nice Hustle
Stone Toss = Coin Flip

Red Leader
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
No pitchers mound? No body armor? No infield dirt?

Man, baseball was ugly in its infancy.

Huzzah!

KittyDuran
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Huzzah!
Huzzah!
Huzzah!
:beerme:

StillFunkyB
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Chip looks scrappy :clap:

He's a "veteran presence", that "know's how to play the game". :thumbup:

gm
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
May I presume that Moises Alou would not be welcome in your league?

Manly men harden their hands through vigorous, manual labor

(no "rubbing" allowed)

GAC
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Crank = fan.

Man, does that ever seem appropriate.

You bunch of cranks you! :lol:

I liked it when the hitter tried to drive the ball straight down into the ground fair right in front of homeplate so that it touched fair, but then went foul. It was still considered a fair ball.

It seemed to me that it would take more talent, and be harder to do that, then to just swing away Merle? ;)

gm
07-11-2006, 07:04 PM
An out is declared if
►a hit ball is caught on the fly or the first bound, including foul ticks to the catcher.

Any Jim Edmunds wanna-bes in this league? (you know, the kind of hot dog that would slow down, wait for a fly ball to bounce then dive to make the catch?) :evil:

Chip R
07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Any Jim Edmunds wanna-bes in this league? (you know, the kind of hot dog that would slow down, wait for a fly ball to bounce then dive to make the catch?) :evil:

I do not think anyone is that good but there is one guy on this one team who does handsprings on the side of the field if his team does well or he scores a run or something. That is something that is frowned upon. I think they are from Illinois and no one from around here will play them. We have a big festival every Labor Day weekend in Columbus where teams from all over come and play and that is the only time teams from around here will play them.

vaticanplum
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I think they are from Illinois and no one from around here will play them. We have a big festival every Labor Day weekend in Columbus where teams from all over come and play and that is the only time teams from around here will play them.

We should adopt this philosophy with the Cubs.

Great photos, thanks for posting them.

Heath
07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Looks like fun. That's something that i'd like to do at somepoint, but I'm busy enough right now the way it is.

Looks like a good day for some "Town Ball".

Chip R
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Looks like a good day for some "Town Ball".

Town Ball, huh? Now that's old school. :)

Heath
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Town Ball, huh? Now that's old school. :)

had to comment on your Rep, Chip. 888? are you into poker now?

GAC
07-13-2006, 06:16 AM
had to comment on your Rep, Chip. 888? are you into poker now?

That's the # for the anti-mod... a charismatic figure who will rise and bequile the masses at Redszone with signs and wonders, while behind the scenes his nefarious plan is for total forum control.

We're still trying to figure out who his sidekick the "false prophet" is. :evil:

Heath
07-13-2006, 09:37 AM
That's the # for the anti-mod... a charismatic figure who will rise and bequile the masses at Redszone with signs and wonders, while behind the scenes his nefarious plan is for total forum control.

We're still trying to figure out who his sidekick the "false prophet" is. :evil:

Raisor. I mean, look at the face. :D

(countdown for Puffy-commence posting in 3....2....)