PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the special on FoxNews tonight?

dabvu2498
07-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Did anyone check this out tonight? I'm wondering if it's worth staying up till midnight for?

From the Ballpark to the Battlefield: Baseball and World War II

Sunday, July 9 at 8 and 11 p.m. ET

Hosted by Oliver North

On the eve of the 2006 All-Star Game, FOX News presents a special edition of “War Stories.”

You’ll see how America’s national pastime — and the people who played it — helped boost the country’s morale and achieve victory in World War II. More than 500 major league players and 4,000 minor leaguers served in the military. Star players like Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Joe DiMaggio, and Warren Spahn traded one uniform for another.

“War Stories” sat down with some of baseball’s greatest legends to talk about those dark days. Hear how Hall of Famer and Cleveland Indian pitcher Bob Feller joined the Navy just two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, sacrificing four years of an already legendary career. “Mr. Red Sox,” Johnny Pesky, tells how he and “The Splendid Splinter,” Ted Williams, both joined the Navy on the same day. Pesky fondly remembers his and Williams’ adventures in flight school.

Hall of Famer Monte Irvin and ten-year major league veteran Morrie Martin both recount life in Europe during the Battle of the Bulge.

Hall of Fame announcers Ernie Harwell and Jerry Coleman talk about life in the Marine Corps. Coleman would also serve in Korea, making him the only major league player to see combat in two wars.

Boston Red Sox centerfielder Dominic DiMaggio talks about his fight to join the Navy and growing up in the shadow of his famous brother, “The Yankee Clipper,” Joe DiMaggio. And legendary New York Yankee and ten time World Series champion Yogi Berra recalls the monumental Normandy invasion in this inspiring “War Stories” special “From the Ballpark to the Battlefield: Baseball and World War II.”

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,201943,00.html

dman
07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
There's a good reason that Tom Brokaw considered people from this era to be the Greatest Generation. My salutations and thanks to all men and women from this era, and especially to those who served in WWII. Although I'm a veteran, I don't fell even remotely worthy of being called such in comparison with these folks.

RedsBaron
07-10-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm doing all this by memory, as my baseball books are currently boxed up, but I believe that Hank Greenberg had enlisted in the military, only to be discharged on Dec. 6, 1941; after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Greenberg immediately re-enlisted and served in the military until mid-1945. Greenberg was one of the first soldiers or sailors to then be discharged, and hit a HR to lead the Tigers to a season ending victory to win the AL pennant, with the Tigers then going on to win the World Series over the Cubs.
Warren Spahn was once accused by a manager of having "no guts," prompting Spahn to recall his combat service at places such as the Battle of the Bulge.
Ted Williams was accused of cowardice because he played the 1942 season before enlisting, even though plenty of other stars, such as Joe DiMaggio, also played in 1942 without facing such accusations. Ted ended up serving nearly five years in two different wars. While he saw no combat in WWII, he was John Glenn's wingman in the Korean War and was nearly shot down, crash landing his plane.
Bob Feller is a grumpy old man and has said much I disagree with, but I really respect his military service in WWII.

Rojo
07-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Coleman would also serve in Korea, making him the only major league player to see combat in two wars.

As RB mentioned Ted Williams served in both these wars as well. I'm utterly shocked that Fox News would get a fact wrong.

cumberlandreds
07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I just watched this as I recorded it last night. It was very good. I didn't know Jerry Coleman flew 57 combat missions. That was amazing to fly that many and survive. That generation was truly the Greatest. They paved the way for the type of lifestyle we have today. We could never thank them enough or be grateful enough to truly appreciate what all they did!

RedsBaron
07-10-2006, 09:17 PM
As RB mentioned Ted Williams served in both these wars as well. I'm utterly shocked that Fox News would get a fact wrong.
Actually Ted Williams didn't "see combat" in two wars. While Teddy Ballgame was in the military in both WW II and Korea, he only saw combat in the latter war. You may keep your faith in Fox News.;)
I just looked up Coleman by googling his name. He flew 57 combat missions in World War II and another 63 combat missions in the Korean War. However, I spent much of the time I read his internet bio laughing at all of the comments he has made as an announcer.
I've now looked up Williams. He never saw combat in WWII and was awaiting shipment overseas at the time of V-J Day. He did fly 39 combat missions in the Korean War.

cumberlandreds
07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Actually Ted Williams didn't "see combat" in two wars. While Teddy Ballgame was in the military in both WW II and Korea, he only saw combat in the latter war. You may keep your faith in Fox News.;)
I just looked up Coleman by googling his name. He flew 57 combat missions in World War II and another 63 combat missions in the Korean War. However, I spent much of the time I read his internet bio laughing at all of the comments he has made as an announcer.
I've now looked up Williams. He never saw combat in WWII and was awaiting shipment overseas at the time of V-J Day. He did fly 39 combat missions in the Korean War.

Coleman was the only MLB player to see combat in both wars according to this show.
Coleman's statement at the end of the the show was very typical of the men of this era. He said the Marines ruined his baseball playing career but being in the Marines was the best thing that ever happened to him. Very typical of nearly everyone from that generation.