PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lieberthal

redlegs7089
07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Not sure if this was posted yet, but i heard we were interested in him, and im confused isnt he a catcher and we have like 3 of them already, so why in the world would we even consider a guy like him. We need pitching and Ross is our guy!

Red Leader
07-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Not sure if this was posted yet, but i heard we were interested in him, and im confused isnt he a catcher and we have like 3 of them already, so why in the world would we even consider a guy like him. We need pitching and Ross is our guy!

I'd assume in any deal for Lieberthal we'd trade LaRue to the Phils and also get back a pitcher from the Phils.

At least, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
How many catchers can one team need? :dunno:

Red Leader
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Catchers are the smartest athletes in pro sports.

You can never have too many. ;)

flyer85
07-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Catchers are the smartest athletes in pro sports.Afterall, we have first hand examples of what excellent managers they make. :p:

KronoRed
07-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Bob Boone??? :D

Gandalf the Red
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Catchers are the smartest athletes in pro sports.

You can never have too many. ;)

Rumor has it Jason's been taking advantage of his bench-warming time to prepare for his upcoming "Jeopardy!" appearance.

Alex Trabek: "Wilson, Taft, and Fillmore."

JL: "Who are three people who haven't stolen my job."

flyer85
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Bob Boone??? :Damong others

Johnny Footstool
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Lieberthal is two years older than LaRue, has been in decline for the past three seasons, is a pending free agent, and is making $3.5 million more than LaRue this year. What's there to like about the deal?

flyer85
07-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Lieberthal is two years older than LaRue, has been in decline for the past three seasons, is a pending free agent, and is making $3.5 million more than LaRue this year. What's there to like about the deal?the part to like would be who else they would throw in the deal.

Red Leader
07-10-2006, 05:11 PM
the part to like would be who else they would throw in the deal.

and the fact that Jason LaRue's salary would be subtracted from the 2007 budget.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2006, 05:42 PM
and the fact that Jason LaRue's salary would be subtracted from the 2007 budget.

And that probably Ross is hurt far worse than they're letting on.

Remove the offense of both Ross and Encarnacion and this team will have trouble in the long run driving in runs from the right side of the plate.

Guacarock
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I could see the Reds offering Larue and a pitching prospect for Lieberthal and reliever Arthur Rhodes.

Why it works all-around: Phillies get a starting catcher for '07 and perhaps a pitcher who could help then or beyond. Reds get a RH bat and LH arm for the pennant drive, both signed to contracts ending this season.

Assuming deal happens around July 31 deadline, Reds would pick up $2.5 million in salary this season, while shedding $5.5 million off the books for '07.

Rhodes is the key to the deal. Which guy would we get? The one pitching for a .417 BAA and 9.95 ERA in home games, or the one pitching for a .167 BAA against and 1.72 ERA in away games?

What dramatic splits and what an enigma. Rhodes does have 16 holds, tied for fourth best in the NL. At the same time, the Phillies have to want to get rid of him, what with him complaining about how his teammates' lousy play has hurt his stats. If he doesn't like the Phillies' defense, he might really get riled up over the Reds. Then again, a change of scenery could lead him to just shut up and pitch.

dunner13
07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
From what i have read the phils would probably have to pay most of lieberthals salary. Of course if there taking back the highly overpaid larue then maybe they wouldnt pay any of lieberthals salary. I do like the idea of adding rhodes though.

flyer85
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I hope they are not interested in Rhodes. I think Mercker is likely to have a better 2nd half than Rhodes.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I hope they are not interested in Rhodes. I think Mercker is likely to have a better 2nd half than Rhodes.

I would take Rhodes over Mercker in a heartbeat. Rhodes keeps the ball in a very tiny park here in Philly (no HRs allowed this season). Yeah Rhodes's ERA is worse than Mercker's but Rhodes can still K people and keep the ball in the park; plus Arthur's OPSA, while still lame, is much better than Mercker's.

However, I'm not wild about either one. So Philly can keep Rhodes.

Johnny Footstool
07-12-2006, 09:27 AM

And nearly negated by the $7 million Lieberthal is making this season (half of which remains).

Redlegs23
07-12-2006, 10:22 AM
No way do I want Lieberthal. I still haven't forgiven him for getting his lucky shoestring tackle of Adam Dunn when he was charging the mound. I wanted badly to see Dunner break that pitcher in half. Can't remember who the pitcher was, but I don't think any pitcher would have much of a chance against Dunn. Screw you Lieberthal!

Red Leader
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Carlos Silva, ironically, now of the Twins, I believe.

And he's already been broken in half....

Highlifeman21
07-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Living in Philly, I would love nothing more than to see LaRue come here and us to get Lieberthal. Lieberthal seems to me to be a class act, and I think he could help our clubhouse, not to mention our pitchers. I believe he calls a pretty decent game.

LaRue has become Sean Casey to me... vastly overpaid for the lack of production.

It's a shame Lieberthal loves Philly, I can't imagine he'd let the trade happen.