PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to change the All Star Game

KoryMac5
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
You get to be the Commish on this one. I haven't watched the All Star Game in years and really don't care that it is on. What would you do as Commish to get more fans involved in watching this game.

I like the minor league format of the US vs. World

Thoughts and opinions welcome

goreds2
07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
There should be a DH in the game.

I think reserve players should be included where they would not play UNLESS it goes to EXTRA Innings. That way you could include a couple of extra catchers and pitchers. These would be the players that were "on the bubble" to be included in the game.

Reserve (extra inning) players could also include a top pinch hitter in the league or a player that can play different positions such as Ryan Freel.

:freel:

gonelong
07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
1) Make all interleague games immedietely follow the All-Star game.
2) The winning league of the All-Star game has its rules adoped for all Interleague games. (DH/no DH)

* The fans would be prodded to vote the best players from their league in.
* The players would take the game more seriously.
* The managers would take the game more seriously.
* No team would be materially disadvantaged.*
* It would restore a bit of the NL/AL rivalry.

*The AL teams might grouse a bit about their DH being forced to play the field or sit, but it'd only be for a few games and it would be league-wide.

GL

icehole3
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
500 Gs per player winner take all.

Red Leader
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
i agree with GoReds2, there should always be a DH in the All-Star game. There's no reason to send a pitcher up to bat with the potential to get hurt in an All-Star game.

In the event of a tie after 9 innings the following should take place (this idea is kind of a mix between World Cup PK's and college football).

The top of the 10th will start with the visiting team having a runner on 2nd and 1 out. The game then proceeds as normal. This is done to increase the chances of scoring (excitement for the fans), and to cut down on pitchers throwing a lot of pitches (good for the player). The home team, obviously follows suit with the same situation in the bottom of the 10th.

If it goes to the 11th, you put the runner on 3rd and 1 out to start the inning.

Using this format would allow the managers to use four starters for 2 IP each and then go to closers for the 9th and any extra innings. Closers are used to trying to prevent runs in these situations, so one side should prevail after 1 or 2 innings under this format.

savafan
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Is there a tie-breaker system in place for who would get home field advantage if the game ended in a tie again?

goreds2
07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
i agree with GoReds2, there should always be a DH in the All-Star game. There's no reason to send a pitcher up to bat with the potential to get hurt in an All-Star game.

In the event of a tie after 9 innings the following should take place (this idea is kind of a mix between World Cup PK's and college football).

The top of the 10th will start with the visiting team having a runner on 2nd and 1 out. The game then proceeds as normal. This is done to increase the chances of scoring (excitement for the fans), and to cut down on pitchers throwing a lot of pitches (good for the player). The home team, obviously follows suit with the same situation in the bottom of the 10th.

If it goes to the 11th, you put the runner on 3rd and 1 out to start the inning.

Using this format would allow the managers to use four starters for 2 IP each and then go to closers for the 9th and any extra innings. Closers are used to trying to prevent runs in these situations, so one side should prevail after 1 or 2 innings under this format.

Very interesting idea especially when you also reason that players have to catch flights to be at their teams destination. They don't want to be playing even an All Star game at 1AM.

redsupport
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I would have Stu Miller pitching during a hailstorm

RedsBaron
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
The All Star game is the one baseball game where the DH absolutely makes sense.

BuckWoody
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM

That is a pretty good idea. :thumbup:

We do that in softball. In extra innings, the person who made the last out in the previous inning starts off at 2nd base.

RANDY IN INDY
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Throwback uniforms, celebrating a particular year in baseball history. The uniforms would then be auctioned off for charity.

Do away with the Home Field advantage thing. Bad idea.

Make the living legends of the game more of a focus. Trot them out in uniform and celebrate their accomplishments. Make sure the generations know baseball's heroes.

Take the voting away from the fans, or give it only "so much" weight. Put the very best on the field each year and reward great play.

Cut down the Home-Run Derby. Way too long. By the finals, the players are sapped.

KoryMac5
07-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I love the idea about having the living legends take part in some aspect of the game. I for one would like to see a spot on each roster reserved for one player in each league who is still an active legend. Similiar to when Bench and Yaz played in the 83 All Star game I believe.

WVRedsFan
07-11-2006, 06:27 PM
First of all, I haven't watched the thing in so long, I really don't know how they do it anymore. My idea is to have it after the season, like the NFL does. You could have it in a Southern city or a domed stadium. Pick the best of the best as a whole season is played. And there's no risk of injury to a key player in the AS game during the season.

Take the vote away from the fans and let the players decide. I know that they took it from the fans in 1956 (?) because Reds fans nearly elected their whole team to the starting lineup, but it seems a lot of good players are left off the team these days.

Take away the home field advantage stuff. That's Mickey Mouse.

Use the DH. It makes sense.

fisch11
07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Make utility player a position to vote on. It's the only time the Ryan Freel's of the game are hindered for being TOO talented.

GAC
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Take the voting away from the fans. It's not as much an All-Star game as it has become a Fan Favorites game.

goreds2
07-11-2006, 10:16 PM
There should be a DH in the game.

I think reserve players should be included where they would not play UNLESS it goes to EXTRA Innings. That way you could include a couple of extra catchers and pitchers. These would be the players that were "on the bubble" to be included in the game.

Reserve (extra inning) players could also include a top pinch hitter in the league or a player that can play different positions such as Ryan Freel.

:freel:

Now that I am watching the game, I do not think the DH issue is that big because upon bringing in a new picher, there usually is a DOUBLE SWITCH.

edabbs44
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Burns, White and Hammond throw for the HR Derby. But the catch is they have to try. You wanna talk about fireworks...

Falls City Beer
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Live sharks.

Gainesville Red
07-11-2006, 10:21 PM
What would I do to change the All-Star Game?

GR get's lifetime seats behind homeplate. (And 1st class plane tickets to get there)

paintmered
07-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Live sharks.

Oooh! Now that would get me to watch.

KronoRed
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Abolish interleague play so the game means something

Let the fans keep voting but have a committee established to remove players who really shouldn't be there, have the same committee also select the backups, don't allow the manager to have a say.

No DH, it's not real baseball ;)

HumnHilghtFreel
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
It's not a change to the All-Star game, but the Home Run Derby. I was watching 1st and 10 today(I hate that show, but I was skimming and caught the conversation) and I think it was Woody Paige who suggested using aluminum bats in the Derby. I think that could be a neat spice to the game, but instead of using them the whole time, maybe pick up an aluminum bat once you get to your 9th out, which would also likely boost the charity #'s as long as Century 21 is doing the money ball promo.

zombie-a-go-go
07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Strippers in the outfield.

LexingtonRedleg
07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
we MUST get rid of the current system. It is the most flawed rule in all of sports. Ozzie had something to coach for last night, and Garner did not. I guess Garner and the 'Stros could still get to the playoffs/World Series, but you could tell Ozzie really wanted to win. Sure, he was having a good time, but he was serious on winning. The All-Star game should be fun, everyone should play, because it is for the fans, voted by the fans.

LexingtonRedleg
07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
It's not a change to the All-Star game, but the Home Run Derby. I was watching 1st and 10 today(I hate that show, but I was skimming and caught the conversation) and I think it was Woody Paige who suggested using aluminum bats in the Derby. I think that could be a neat spice to the game, but instead of using them the whole time, maybe pick up an aluminum bat once you get to your 9th out, which would also likely boost the charity #'s as long as Century 21 is doing the money ball promo.
I thought of this too, but didn't hear it on TV. That would be fun. We'd see 600 foot homers!

RFS62
07-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Throwback uniforms, celebrating a particular year in baseball history. The uniforms would then be auctioned off for charity.

Do away with the Home Field advantage thing. Bad idea.

Make the living legends of the game more of a focus. Trot them out in uniform and celebrate their accomplishments. Make sure the generations know baseball's heroes.

Take the voting away from the fans, or give it only "so much" weight. Put the very best on the field each year and reward great play.

Cut down the Home-Run Derby. Way too long. By the finals, the players are sapped.

Wow, great suggestions.

Celebrate the history with past stars and uniforms.

:beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
07-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Wow, great suggestions.

Celebrate the history with past stars and uniforms.

:beerme:

And regarding the uniforms, make sure that they are authentic in detail and not the cheap replicas that Majestic has been throwing out there for the "throwback" games.

The biggest problem with using throwback jerseys is that there are quite a few teams that were not represented in yesteryear. Sounds like a good reason to contract a few teams.;)

Gainesville Red
07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Poor Devil Rays.

Danny Serafini
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Other than the obvious stuff like dumping the home field advantage thing and the fan voting, I think I'd allow free substitution. That way the backups could get their at bat or time in the field in the middle innings, but if the game was on the line later on you could get your studs back out there to decide it.