PDA

View Full Version : Fidel Castro dead?

Benihana
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Rumor circulating around the trading floor right now (2:10 PM EST)

Reds4Life
07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Nothing on the news about it.

max venable
07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
http://www.uncoveror.com/castro.htm

Duh....he's been dead since '81.

ochre
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Actually, I think Krivsky just traded Kearns for him.

Heath
07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
'
Wrong Castro.

You Dolt.

:D

GAC
07-11-2006, 08:30 PM
'
Wrong Castro.

You Dolt.

:D

Yeah - Fidel can hit! ;)

MrCinatit
07-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Everyone knows Fidel has been dead since the mid-1960s - a robot has long ago taken his place.
No. Wait. That was Paul McCartney.

SunDeck
07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Beni,
What's the effect of the rumor on trading?

Benny-Distefano
07-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Everyone knows Fidel has been dead since the mid-1960s - a robot has long ago taken his place.
No. Wait. That was Paul McCartney.

Fidel was the walrus. :D

redsmetz
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.uncoveror.com/castro.htm

Duh....he's been dead since '81.

Either him or Francisco Franco. With with SNL News on that one.

Matt700wlw
07-13-2006, 03:27 PM

Wasn't he a pitcher back in the day?

:)

Heath
07-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Wasn't he a pitcher back in the day?

:)

In the Reds' system nonetheless - ironically enough.

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
In the Reds' system nonetheless - ironically enough.
Actually, that is incorrect:

Yale professor Roberto González Echevarría noted in his history of Cuban baseball:

I have written a book that I hope will correct some of the views Americans and others have of Cuban baseball. To me, the most vexing example of how lightly and condescendingly the history of Latin baseball is dealt with in the United States involves a story about Fidel Castro that I would like to set straight here once and for all. Every time I mentioned that I was writing a book about Cuban baseball, the first thing Americans said had to do with Fidel's (which is how we Cubans call him, never "Castro") alleged prowess in the sport, and the irony that, had he been signed by the Senators or the Giants, there would have been no Cuban Revolution. The whole thing is a fabrication by an American journalist whose name is now lost, and it is never told in Cuba because everyone would know it to be false. Let it be known here that Fidel Castro was never scouted by any major-league team, and is not known to have enjoyed the kind of success in baseball that could have brought a scout's attention to him. In a country where sports coverage was broad and thorough, in a city such as Havana with a half-dozen major newspapers (plus dozens of minor ones) and with organized leagues at all levels, there is no record that Fidel Castro ever played, much less starred, on any team. No one has produced even one team picture with Fidel Castro in it. I have found the box score of an intramural game played between the Law and the Business Schools at the University of Havana where a certain F. Castro pitched and lost, 5-4, in late November 1946; this is likely to be the only published box score in which the future dictator appears (El Mundo, November 28, 1946). Cubans know that Fidel Castro was no ballplayer, though he dressed himself in the uniform of a spurious, tongue-in-cheek team called Barbudos (Bearded Ones) after he came to power in 1959 and played a few exhibition games. There was no doubt then about his making any team in Cuba. Given a whole country to toy with, Fidel Castro realized the dream of most middle-aged Cuban men by pulling on a uniform and "playing" a few innings.

He was also supposedly a Senator and a Yankee as well as a Red. Never happened.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Fidel was the walrus. :D

Coo-Coo-Cacho

RedsBaron
07-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Since he is a professed communist, the "Reds" certainly should have been Fidel Castro's team.;)

MrCinatit
07-15-2006, 07:43 AM
I will look for the book later, if I still have it in my collection.
A long time ago, I had a book which was a collection of rather amusing and entertaining stories, fictional and nonfictional.
One of the nonfiction stories told of an ex-major leaguer who was playing in Cuba during the mid-1950s. I cannot recall the name of the player.
IIRC, there was a collection of Marxist rebels in the stadium - one of them being Castro.
In the middle of the game, Castro emerged from the stands and took the ball from the Cuban pitcher. I cannot remember what happened - but I do know the other player was less than impressed with Castro's "stuff."
Sorry for the vagueness, but it has been about 25 years since I've read this story, so details are more than a little sketchy.

reds1869
07-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Since he is a professed communist, the "Reds" certainly should have been Fidel Castro's team.;)

Believe it or not the Reds have a big following in Cuba, though they obviously don't get to see too many games. This dates back to the deadball era when several of the most popular Cubans played for Cincinnati. They were among the first legitimate stars Cuba had exported to America. Their presence resulted in a huge following for the Reds, particularly in Havana and what is modern day Cienfuegos. In fact there is a phrase still in usage in Cuba that roughly translates to "our beloved Cincy."

Rocket_Fuel
07-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Did Fidel really exist, that's the real question. . .