PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Hernadnez

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I saw ken rosenhtal write that the most logical trade for the reds is to get the Pittsburgh's Roberto Hernandez and i would like in the name of former red Elmer Dessens. Any thoughts?

redsupport
07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
dessens would help over the detritus we have

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
I saw ken rosenhtal write that the most logical trade for the reds is to get the Pittsburgh's Roberto Hernandez and i would like in the name of former red Elmer Dessens. Any thoughts?

I'd rather swallow an entire pouch of dip than acquire Dessens.

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Either one wouldnt cost much in prospects. Along wiht Eddie G would give 2 legit ppl in the 9th.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Either one wouldnt cost much in prospects. Along wiht Eddie G would give 2 legit ppl in the 9th.

I'm okay with picking up Hernandez; he'll still miss a bat or two. Dessens is clinging to MLB by his fingernails.

dabvu2498
07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes. Swallowing dip would only cause you to :barf: once.

Get Dessens: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Krusty
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
If Krivsky is going to add another reliever, Hernandez would be on top of my list. Next would be Cubs RHP Scott Williamson and Florida's RHP Joe Borowski.

captainmorgan07
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
If Krivsky is going to add another reliever, Hernandez would be on top of my list. Next would be Cubs RHP Scott Williamson and Florida's RHP Joe Borowski.
i agree

Danny Serafini
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Ick. Roberto Hernandez was always overrated back when he was a "star". I certainly don't want the 41 year old version of him.

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Roberto still hits mid 90 for an 41 year old and elemer has 3.80 era in the AL- so both would ok for the reds bullpen IMO.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Roberto still hits mid 90 for an 41 year old and elemer has 3.80 era in the AL- so both would ok for the reds bullpen IMO.

how about Burgos and/or Gobble from Kansas City? They both strike out a lot of guys.

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Both are up and coming Jimmy has been moved to the Starting Rotation- Gobble is another John Smiley minus the injury bug and Burgoies is Amando Bentiez clone.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Both are up and coming Jimmy has been moved to the Starting Rotation- Gobble is another John Smiley minus the injury bug and Burgoies is Amando Bentiez clone.

I imagine Moore will want to hold on to Gobble and Burgos.

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Keanrs for them might do the trick but you might even get Grineke and one of them for Kearns.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I imagine Moore will want to hold on to Gobble and Burgos.

Don't you think that Kansas City would like to have a young bat instead of one or both of them?

Royals Fan
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I know they give them and another player for Dunn- he would fit in with Gordon and Butler and Miere and others on the way up.

dunner13
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Ive heard mike gonzalez from the pirates as well. He would be great to get but hes young so I find it hard to believe they would trade him. They also have marte, and williamson would be nice to require. Wickman of the indians or mota as well. We need at least one more reliever for sure and guardaro has to turn his season around.

registerthis
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure why...he's got a sub-4.00 ERA, a good GB/FB ratio, and has only given up 3 HRs in 47+ IP. His WHIP of 1.38 isn't bad, and would be the best in our entire bullpen.

I think Dessens would be a decent pickup for this club, certainly not worthy of the consumption of an entire pouch of chewing tobacco.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I know they give them and another player for Dunn- he would fit in with Gordon and Butler and Miere and others on the way up.

The Royals having nothing even close in value to acquire Adam Dunn. nothing.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure why...he's got a sub-4.00 ERA, a good GB/FB ratio, and has only given up 3 HRs in 47+ IP. His WHIP of 1.38 isn't bad, and would be the best in our entire bullpen.

I think Dessens would be a decent pickup for this club, certainly not worthy of the consumption of an entire pouch of chewing tobacco.

he doesn't strike many out really.

TOBTTReds
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM

Not to knit-pick, but dip doesn't come in pouches, it comes in cans. Chewing tabacco comes in pouches. So maybe you wouldn't have to swallow anything but pride if we picked up Dessens. I say we should get him purely based on the fact that you say we shouldn't, you were right about Phillips;)

registerthis
07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
he doesn't strike many out really.

No, his K/9 is just a tad over 6--not great, but not terrible. But he doesn't walk many, either. The fact is, he's been a very serviceable reliever. If the Reds picked him up, he'd be the best addition to this bullpen staff by far this year.

Jr's Boy
07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Keanrs for them might do the trick but you might even get Grineke and one of them for Kearns.
Greinke is doing well in the minor's from what i've read.

Big Klu
07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Not to knit-pick, but dip doesn't come in pouches, it comes in cans. Chewing tabacco comes in pouches. So maybe you wouldn't have to swallow anything but pride if we picked up Dessens. I say we should get him purely based on the fact that you say we shouldn't, you were right about Phillips;)

Chew can also come in a plug. ;)

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Don't you think that Kansas City would like to have a young bat instead of one or both of them?

It's a good question. I don't know--they suck in all areas.

dabvu2498
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Not to knit-pick, but dip doesn't come in pouches
Skoal is actually making "pouches" of dip, similar to the old Skoal Bandits, I guess. I used to dip those behind the old catchers mask because they were mild enough that I could swallow the juice.

Just sayin'. ;)

Return to your regularly scheduled off-the-wall trade conversations.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM

He's middling--and with 47 innings already, that's a fairly steep load that's only going to get bigger coming over here--and the more exposure a guy like Dessens gets the more he's going to look like David Weathers.

He would be a status quo level move.

registerthis
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
He's middling--and with 47 innings already, that's a fairly steep load that's only going to get bigger coming over here--and the more exposure a guy like Dessens gets the more he's going to look like David Weathers.

He would be a status quo level move.

Yeah, but Dessens is a converted starter. He can handle an increased workload. If the Reds acquired him he'd become that long-sought-after middle relief guy who could help the Reds get to Coffey/Guardado.

I don't see how picking up a reliever with Dessen's numbers could do anything but help this club. He's not a savior by any means, but he likely fits the mold of the type of player the Reds will be targeting--sans some blockbuster Willis deal or something like that.

redsupport
07-12-2006, 01:42 PM
he is better than Yan, or Weathers, he reminds me of the great Ted Davidson

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but Dessens is a converted starter. He can handle an increased workload. If the Reds acquired him he'd become that long-sought-after middle relief guy who could help the Reds get to Coffey/Guardado.

I don't see how picking up a reliever with Dessen's numbers could do anything but help this club. He's not a savior by any means, but he likely fits the mold of the type of player the Reds will be targeting--sans some blockbuster Willis deal or something like that.

Guardado and Coffey are nothing to "get to." Guardado had a .900+ OPSA in the AL; and Coffey's sitting at a .790. Neither one is anything to rely upon. The Reds need two killers to push guys like Coffey and Guardado to MR and mop-up respectively. Dessens is just another MR with a bunch of innings--and I don't know if converted starters profile as more durable when you change completely their job description.

TOBTTReds
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Skoal is actually making "pouches" of dip, similar to the old Skoal Bandits, I guess. I used to dip those behind the old catchers mask because they were mild enough that I could swallow the juice.

Just sayin'. ;)

Return to your regularly scheduled off-the-wall trade conversations.

Haha, so you'd have no problem getting dessens?

dabvu2498
07-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Haha, so you'd have no problem getting dessens?
It all depends on what you give up.

Remember the first rule to making money on the real estate market: It's not the price you sell the property for, it's the price which you paid for the property that matters.

REDREAD
07-13-2006, 12:11 PM

KC is a bad match for us. Why would they want Kearns? Kearns is likely going to get a huge raise this winter and then be a free agent in 2 years (I think).
That's the kind of player the Royals dump, not the kind they acquire.

If you want to trade Kearns, you have to look for a team that is pretty good right now and has money. Not a perennial rebuilding team.