PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Aurilia to Pads?

Joseph
07-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I labeled this as speculation because it's not really even a rumor at this juncture.

Word on the street [or is it the internet? I can't recall] is that the Padres are interested in a veteran third baseman and might be interested in someone like Aurilia. The talk mentioned AA catching prospect George Kottaras as the 'bait' they'd be willing to deal in such a trade. [Note this is not a rumor, just speculation on potential trading partners and the parts being available based on this writers opinions.]

Does anyone here believe Rich could even be shopped based on Narron's man love for him?

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Do the deal now.

RedsFanatic
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
That would be a deal you would have to make. Kottaras is a stud and it would get Edwin more at bats. I can't wait for the day that Rich is no longer our cleanup hitter.

ITHIKABAND
07-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Souns like they need the guy they had last year. Mr. Randa

dunner13
I like the idea of moving aurrilla for one of their relievers alot more. Like linebrink, of course not sure they would be interested in doing any deal like that.

Gallen5862
Do that deal very quickly.

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Word on the street [or is it the internet? I can't recall] is that the Padres are interested in a veteran third baseman

I was just looking at that the other day. The good thing is the Reds have a young kid to man the position and don't lose much by sending the veteran player over to San Diego to play 3rd. The vet should provide the Padres with a good righthanded bat and decent defense at 3rd.

I'm thinking if we offered, we might able to get Travis Chick and Justin Germano for our veteran 3rd baseman. They're both highly regarded prospects in the San Diego system. Should be worth a veteran corner infielder.

But, I might be wrong about that.

:evil:

RFS62
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
So, you trying for a new record in views?

:all_cohol

RedsManRick
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, Joe Randa = Germano and Eddie Guardado... Will Kevin Towers buy in to another overachieving Reds veteran 3B?

OnBaseMachine
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Kottaras for Aurilia? Sign me up.

Kottaras and Votto on the same team? Are the Reds cornering the Market on Canadiens?

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Kottaras and Votto on the same team? Are the Reds cornering the Market on Canadiens?
We want the Expos fan base

RedEye
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I was just looking at that the other day. The good thing is the Reds have a young kid to man the position and don't lose much by sending the veteran player over to San Diego to play 3rd. The vet should provide the Padres with a good righthanded bat and decent defense at 3rd.

I'm thinking if we offered, we might able to get Travis Chick and Justin Germano for our veteran 3rd baseman. They're both highly regarded prospects in the San Diego system. Should be worth a veteran corner infielder.

But, I might be wrong about that.

:evil:

I'll bet we could even get Germano and Eddie Guardado.

Wait a minute...

registerthis
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM

All 4 of them.

TOBTTReds
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
PLEASE DO THIS!!!!!

Thankfully Narron isn't the GM. Hopefully WK has brains (which he has proved so far). It would make my year if this happened. I don't care who we get back.

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2006, 04:27 PM
All 4 of them.

They're hoping for that 5th fan so they can finally take on the Marlins fanbase in a pickup basketball game.

TOBTTReds
All 4 of them.

It's 7 actually.

Gandalf the Red
Well, Joe Randa = Germano and Eddie Guardado... Will Kevin Towers buy in to another overachieving Reds veteran 3B?

Well, Rich is the better value, since the Pads would be getting the stylin' and profilin' as a free throw-in.

Red Leader
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I like the idea of moving aurrilla for one of their relievers alot more. Like linebrink, of course not sure they would be interested in doing any deal like that.

The Pads are gonig to hold Linebrink for a kings ransom. No way I'd pay what they are asking for him. Something like a top 10 AA SP, and a legit top 10 positional prospect.

That would mean Bailey and Votto for Linebrink. No thanks.

Joseph
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
So, you trying for a new record in views?

:all_cohol

Thats why it was labeled speculation and not rumor. It was not a 'how about we offer the Pads this deal?' like is often posted, it was based in some small modicum of truth, but not logic or inside information or the like.

I know nothing of Kottaras, he could be the next Bench or the next Corky Miller for all I know. Based on the responses I'm going to assume this is not all that likely, everyone seems to think its a no brainer. :)

redsmetz
07-12-2006, 04:30 PM

That's "Are the Reds cornering the Market on Candians, ay?"

RedEye
07-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Maybe next off-season we could acquire Corey Koskie, play him in front of EdE for half the year, and then deal him to the Padres for two pitching prospects in July. Why not make this an annual tradition?

membengal
07-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Please. Please. Please. make. this. happen.

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.funnytimes.com/store/images/canada.jpg

RFS62
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Thats why it was labeled speculation and not rumor. It was not a 'how about we offer the Pads this deal?' like is often posted, it was based in some small modicum of truth, but not logic or inside information or the like.

Hey, I'm not knocking it. I'm just sitting here watching the meter spin and I predict a major game of telephone here.

Blue
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I'd just like to point out that there is no rumor of a trade of Rich Aurilia for George Kottaras. mlbtraderumors had a thread about the Pads looking for a third baseman, and Aurilia was brought up as a possible acquisition. The same thread said that the Pads were willing to to trade George Kottaras to get a 3B, but Aurilia and Kottaras weren't even mentioned in the same paragraph.

As Joseph said, its all speculation. Its speculation that the Pads could be interested in Aurilia to play 3B and that they may be willing to trade Kottaras for a 3B. The speculation was not, however, that the Pads would be willing to trade Kottaras for Aurilia. Were that the case, Wayne K would probably be trying to fill in a 25-man roster spot right about now.

reds44
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
No way Narron would stand for this.

I hope to God it happens though.

Ltlabner
07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Based on the responses I'm going to assume this is not all that likely, everyone seems to think its a no brainer

Or perhaps people's rabid desire to rid this fair city of the scourge that is RA is driving them to want to trade him as quickly as possible for whatever we could get.

That asside, I'd rather trade him (as part of a package) for someone that could help us now and the future, but if this (hypothetically) was the only trade available, and this catching kid truely was a stud then go for it. LaRue and Valentine only have a few more years in them, assuming they are even with the team by then. And as much as I like Ross, it's too early to anoint him king. So it would be good to have a stud catcher a few years away from the big time.

Blue
07-12-2006, 04:41 PM
No way Narron would stand for this.

I hope to God it happens though.

That scares me. Actually, what really scared me was when Bob Castellini said something like "I tell you what George (Grande) Aurilia is one of my favorites. He gets it done."

That sent a chill down my spine and dampered my hopes a bit. However, I think he'll pretty much let Krivsky do what he wants unless it involves adding a lot of payroll.

TOBTTReds
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
This is a cruel post for getting everyone's hopes up. Just imagining this is pure bliss.

bounty37h
07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
That would be a deal you would have to make. Kottaras is a stud and it would get Edwin more at bats. I can't wait for the day that Rich is no longer our cleanup hitter.

I cant wait for the day EE is a third baseman!

cincyinco
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
That scares me. Actually, what really scared me was when Bob Castellini said something like "I tell you what George (Grande) Aurilia is one of my favorites. He gets it done."

That sent a chill down my spine and dampered my hopes a bit. However, I think he'll pretty much let Krivsky do what he wants unless it involves adding a lot of payroll.

Didn't Bob Cast tell Dan'O he was one of his favorites before firing him 3 days later? :p:

Blue
07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Didn't Bob Cast tell Dan'O he was one of his favorites before firing him 3 days later? :p:

Saying "You're my favorite current GM of the Reds" isn't exactly a compliment.

Gallen5862
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
This trade would cause Narron to have a delimna. He loves Aurrilla but he also loves catchers.

flyer85
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
They might be interested but they wouldn't give up much.

RedEye
07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
What about switching Rich Aurilia to catcher? Then we could trade Ross, LaRue and Valentin to Florida for Willis, and Narron would still be happy.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I labeled this as speculation because it's not really even a rumor at this juncture.

Word on the street [or is it the internet? I can't recall] is that the Padres are interested in a veteran third baseman and might be interested in someone like Aurilia. The talk mentioned AA catching prospect George Kottaras as the 'bait' they'd be willing to deal in such a trade. [Note this is not a rumor, just speculation on potential trading partners and the parts being available based on this writers opinions.]

Does anyone here believe Rich could even be shopped based on Narron's man love for him?

they already tried that. Aurilia already played there and he stunk.

Doc. Scott
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Aurilia for Kottaras would likely be a steal on par with V. Zambrano for Kazmir. Kottaras just played in the Futures Game and it's not like San Diego is set for life at catcher (Josh Bard has been great this year, but he's still platooning with Mike Piazza as the latter prepares to ride off into the sunset).

I can see Aurilia maybe going somewhere, but he already washed out of SD and the management there is the same.

boognish
07-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Beat me to it...

Aurilia .254/.331/.384 for SD in 2004 after they picked him up from Seattle (waivers). Towers would look foolish if he did this, as Aurilia was not offered a contract for the 2005 season, and the Reds signed him to a minor league deal.

I really don't think they'd be interested.

Marc D
07-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Narron giving the Arulia trade presser

http://www.wonkette.com/dukstir_crying_towel.jpg

Jpup
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Narron giving the Arulia trade presser

http://www.wonkette.com/dukstir_crying_towel.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 06:23 PM
I cant wait for the day EE is a third baseman!

Oppossing hitters are salavating at this also. The guy is a terrible third baseman. I would not be shocked if the Reds dealt Kearns and moved EE to the outfield.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Oppossing hitters are salavating at this also. The guy is a terrible third baseman. I would not be shocked if the Reds dealt Kearns and moved EE to the outfield.

:nono:

reds44
07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Narron is the only one that doesn't know he stinks. He is a below average hitter, and has the range of an egg.

schroomytunes
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
No way the Pads trade a top 10 prospect for Aurilia, nor will any team for that matter. He is a decent utility guy, but not solid, he may fetch a top 20 prospect but that's all

OnBaseMachine
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM

Barry Larkin and Concepcion were terrible fielders if we are going by your standards.

Big Klu
07-12-2006, 06:35 PM

Sauvez les Expos! :D

http://fotw.vexillum.com/images/c/ca-qc.gif

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Barry Larkin and Concepcion were terrible fielders if we are going by your standards.
They hustled

(just getting a jump on what will be said)

;)

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I think its obvious that Narron doesnt think much of EE's defense and thats probably why he is not playing on a regular basis. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt EE play outfield on his rehab assignment?

reds44
07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I think its obvious that Narron doesnt think much of EE's defense and thats probably why he is not playing on a regular basis. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt EE play outfield on his rehab assignment?
You are wrong, but he did play 1B.

mound_patrol
07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I also heard through grande and Welsh that EE played OF in one of his rehab assignments, but who knows with what those two say.

reds44
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I honestly don't care where Edwin plays as long as he is playing everyday. I prefer 3B, but I won't complain as long as he is in the starting 9.

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I do like his bat and think that he will be an above average player but his defense is just not up to par at third and if the Reds are planning on contending they cant have a circus act at third IMO.

jimbo
07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I do like his bat and think that he will be an above average player but his defense is just not up to par at third and if the Reds are planning on contending they cant have a circus act at third IMO.

Oh oh......I agree totally, but prepare to get flamed for saying anything negative about EE's defense.

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh oh......I agree totally, but prepare to get flamed for saying anything negative about EE's defense.
I have already heard about it. I dont know does defense matter at all?

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Sure it matters, but would you rather have EE with the best range on the team at 3rd getting to balls and having the potential to make a bad throw, or would you prefer Aurilia and Castro making reliable plays but only making them on balls hit right at them?

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Actually I think you take the steady guys making the reliable plays everyday of the week and twice on sundays.:thumbup:

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 08:11 PM
So you prefer lots of doubles down the line? ;)

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Most baseball people would agree with me:D

jimbo
07-12-2006, 08:14 PM

As opposed to giving the runner second base because the ball was thrown away at first?

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Most baseball people would agree with me:D

that doesn't make it right

I'll go with the guy who can flag down extra base hits, while making an error of some sort every 3.5 games. Especially if that guy is young, has a cannon, and works hard at improving himself in the field, like young Edwin.

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
As opposed to giving the runner second base because the ball was thrown away at first?
EE can make throws, Castro and Rich will never get more range:D

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Third base is more reaction than range IMO. I like EE as a player just not as a third baseman. If this team is planning on contending in the second half than they cant have a guy playing third that everytime its hit to him you hold your breath.

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Third base is more reaction than range IMO. I like EE as a player just not as a third baseman. If this team is planning on contending in the second half than they cant have a guy playing third that everytime its hit to him you hold your breath.

nor can they have the worst hitter in the lineup batting cleanup.

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Blue]that doesn't make it right

I'll go with the guy who can flag down extra base hits, while making an error of some sort every 3.5 games. Especially if that guy is young, has a cannon, and works hard at improving himself in the field, like young Edwin.[/QUOTE
Again playing third base is about reaction and really does it matter if he has a cannon if he is hitting the bull on one out of 7 throws. Since he has a good arm and is mobile then lets move him to the outfield.:thumbup:

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Rich isnt your prototypical cleanup hitter but come on now he is not the worst hitter in the lineup. That distinction goes to LaRue every time he plays.

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Rich isnt your prototypical cleanup hitter but come on now he is not the worst hitter in the lineup.

Who's worse? No one, unless Narron is having one of his weird notions and puts LaRue or Valentin in instead of Ross.

jimbo
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM

EE can make throws, where they are going to go is another thing. :duel:

redsfanmia
07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Who's worse? No one, unless Narron is having one of his weird notions and puts LaRue or Valentin in instead of Ross.

LaRue and honestly at this point Lopez. I really wish that Kearns could hit clean up but hey I am not the manager.

RedLegSuperStar
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
LaRue and honestly at this point Lopez. I really wish that Kearns could hit clean up but hey I am not the manager.

I was just about to post Lopez. Batting just a point better but Aurilia's offensive numbers(HR's and RBI's) are better then Lopez's and Aurilia has 25 less at bats.

jimbo
07-12-2006, 08:34 PM

The Reds are 3rd in the NL in runs scored. Offense is not the problem with this team, team defense and the bullpen are.

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM

Yeah, Lopez is having a down year, but he's still better than RA. RA is a platoon player. If he played 3B everyday his numbers would be much closer to his .673 OPS vs. righties than his overall .808 OPS. I'm fine with him batting low low low in the order and platooning with Hatteberg at 1B, but him as a regular 3B should be out of the question.

Marty and Joe
07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
http://www.funnytimes.com/store/images/canada.jpg

Even though I'm not Canadian...one of my favorite beer commercials ==> http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

:beerme:

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
The Reds are 3rd in the NL in runs scored. Offense is not the problem with this team, team defense and the bullpen are.

Yep, you're right. Problem is, the same 9 guys play offense and defense. Its mandated in the rulebook somewhere.

If you take EE, a superior offensive player out of the lineup and replace him with RA, who you claim is a superior defensive player, what have you accomplished?

NOTHING!!! Its still the same, you're just a little worse on offense and a little better on defense. Its a wash. And you let your 23-year old future star rot away on the bench or in AAA.

johngalt
07-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I really don't understand how people can write off Edwin as a defensive player when he's 23 years old and only a year into his major league career. Young players ALWAYS have problems with making throws. Always. You can look at everyone from Larkin to Jeter. I'd say they both turned into pretty damn good defenders. You know why? Because they could get to a crapload of balls that most other defenders wouldn't even attempt to go after.

Other people have said this, and I feel the same way. Edwin Encarnacion is a future Gold Glove third baseman. He's got the arm, the range, the reaction time, the athleticism...everything you look for in a plus defender. If he's still error-prone a year or two from now, then maybe it's time to look at a position change. But you don't just give up on a kid who has the combination of defensive and offensive potential that he has.

Blue
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Anyway, I'm going to step away from the computer now. I'm sure we'll start the same argument over again tonight or tomorrow. Someone's probably already arguing about it in another thread.

jimbo
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
If you take EE, a superior offensive player out of the lineup and replace him with RA, who you claim is a superior defensive player, what have you accomplished?

Where did I ever claim that RA is a superior defensive player? And I think it's a stretch to be calling EE a superior offensive player at this point. He still has some work to do. Someday maybe, but not yet.

Fact of the matter is, this team isn't going to accomplish much more than it already has if the defense continues to be this bad. I think past history has shown year in and year out that pitching and defense wins championships. Teams with high powered offenses come and go every year without winning much.

I'm not advocating benching EE entirely or making RA the everyday third baseman. I'm not really sure what the answer actually is. I think Freel plays a pretty good 3B and I would have no problem with him getting the majority of the starts there. What to do with EE? I don't know, maybe try him at 1B. I just have to seriously question playing a young third baseman everyday who is committing a high number of errors while the team is in contention. This team will still score a sufficient amount of runs with or without his bat.

Blue
07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Where did I ever claim that RA is a superior defensive player? And I think it's a stretch to be calling EE a superior offensive player at this point. He still has some work to do. Someday maybe, but not yet.

Fact of the matter is, this team isn't going to accomplish much more than it already has if the defense continues to be this bad. I think past history has shown year in and year out that pitching and defense wins championships. Teams with high powered offenses come and go every year without winning much.

I'm not advocating benching EE entirely or making RA the everyday third baseman. I'm not really sure what the answer actually is. I think Freel plays a pretty good 3B and I would have no problem with him getting the majority of the starts there. What to do with EE? I don't know, maybe try him at 1B. I just have to seriously question playing a young third baseman everyday who is committing a high number of errors while the team is in contention. This team will still score a sufficient amount of runs with or without his bat.

I was calling RA and EE superior in relation to each other.

And pitching and defense don't win without adequate offense. Just like offense doesn't win anything without adequate pitching and defense. I really hate the pitching and defense line, because it seems to be oblivious to the fact that the same players who play defense also have to play offense. You win by having a better combination of offense, pitching, and defense than the other team.

jimbo
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
And pitching and defense don't win without adequate offense.

Did you catch last year's World Series? The Astros were at the bottom of the NL in about every offensive category. They got where they did with their pitching and solid defense.

Blue
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Did you catch last year's World Series? The Astros were at the bottom of the NL in about every offensive category. They got where they did with their pitching and solid defense.

Their offensive numbers were held down by a poor first half. Second half numbers were much better. That's when they came out of no where to win the wild card. They still snuck in through the doggy door to beat a superior Cardinals team in the NLCS.

Then they faced the White Sox, who swept them because they had offense to go along with pitching and defense.

Can't you see that no matter how many runs you give up because of crappy pitching and defense, you can always win if you score more than you give up? At the same time, you'll always win if you have a crappy offense that scores 2 runs a game if you can hold the other team to 1!

jimbo
07-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Their offensive numbers were held down by a poor first half. Second half numbers were much better. That's when they came out of no where to win the wild card. They still snuck in through the doggy door to beat a superior Cardinals team in the NLCS.

Then they faced the White Sox, who swept them because they had offense to go along with pitching and defense.

Can't you see that no matter how many runs you give up because of crappy pitching and defense, you can always win if you score more than you give up? At the same time, you'll always win if you have a crappy offense that scores 2 runs a game if you can hold the other team to 1!

I agree a nice balance is the best option, but if I have my choice of having a team full of good pitching and defense with mediocre offense as opposed to the opposite, I always take the pitching. If you take a good hard look at the past WS champions, they all have great pitching. And you will find many of them with mediocre to average offenses.

You'll never convince me that the Astros got there last season with their offense. Whether or not their second half offense was better, their pitching is what got them there.

Blue
07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
The Astros weren't a good team until their offense came around in the second half. Sure, they had great pitching, but it didn't get them anywhere until the offense starting scoring runs.

If your great pitching and defense allow only 500 runs on the season, and your offense scores 600, you'll win quite a few games.

If my great offense scores 1000 runs on the season and my pitching and defense allow 800, I'll win more.

jimbo
07-13-2006, 12:53 AM
The Astros weren't a good team until their offense came around in the second half. Sure, they had great pitching, but it didn't get them anywhere until the offense starting scoring runs.

If your great pitching and defense allow only 500 runs on the season, and your offense scores 600, you'll win quite a few games.

If my great offense scores 1000 runs on the season and my pitching and defense allow 800, I'll win more.

I don't care if their offense was better in the second half or not. They still was at the bottom of the league in almost every offensive category. The Reds led the NL last year in runs scored, but it didn't get them anywhere. Why? Because their pitching sucked. How do you think the Braves won so many consecutive conference championships? Pitching!!!! Their position lineup changed every year, but they kept their pitching core intact.

I give up man. You take your high powered offensive team and I'll take my pitching and defense oriented team everyday of the week and on Sunday.

Jpup
07-13-2006, 01:02 AM
I don't care if their offense was better in the second half or not. They still was at the bottom of the league in almost every offensive category. The Reds led the NL last year in runs scored, but it didn't get them anywhere. Why? Because their pitching sucked. How do you think the Braves won so many consecutive conference championships? Pitching!!!! Their position lineup changed every year, but they kept their pitching core intact.

I give up man. You take your high powered offensive team and I'll take my pitching and defense oriented team everyday of the week and on Sunday.

conference?:lol:

jimbo
07-13-2006, 01:04 AM
conference?:lol:

Division......so sorry. Glad I was able to give you a good laugh.

Blue
07-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Yeah, okay. You keep your cliche and I'll keep my logic.

jimbo
07-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, okay. You keep your cliche and I'll keep my logic.

LOL, ok.....if that's what you call it.

cumberlandreds
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Division......so sorry. Glad I was able to give you a good laugh.
That's Ok. When I saw the title of the thread I thought Aurilia was going try his hand at football.:laugh:

bounty37h
07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I honestly don't care where Edwin plays as long as he is playing everyday. I prefer 3B, but I won't complain as long as he is in the starting 9.

Too bad we dont have DH, he doesnt belong on a major league field with glove on hand.

bounty37h
07-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Does it matter, it turns into two bases anyways when EE throws it in the stands....

bounty37h
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Not 100% accurate, but I know what you mean. Offensive consistancy is a huge problem though, how many games have we racked up the runs, then get shut down a couple games offensively.

ochre
07-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Not 100% accurate, but I know what you mean. Offensive consistancy is a huge problem though, how many games have we racked up the runs, then get shut down a couple games offensively.
amazingly, that happens to nearly every team in baseball.

westofyou
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Too bad we dont have DH, he doesnt belong on a major league field with glove on hand.
Yeah, even though most of his E's are throwing.:rolleyes:

Heath
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Does it matter, it turns into two bases anyways when EE throws it in the stands....

yep, when it's second and third and two out, and RA misses one to his glove side to score two, while EdE can make that play and 9 times out of 10 throw him out, I'd take that chance every day and twice on Sunday.

To call Rich Aurilia a major league fielding third baseman is spotty at best. I'd rather have the Statue of Liberty at third. Any discussion of "discipline" of EdE since he can't supposively throw in concepts of sending him to AAA or benching is absolutely short-sighted and ludicrious.

I'd personally like to see EdE in the outfield. The gun on his arm in a corner position would be interesting.

But I'd rather put him at 3rd, leave him there and grow with the kid.

:deadhorse:

westofyou
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
But I'd rather put him at 3rd, leave him there and grow with the kid.

You mean young players make errors?

Wow!!!!

Someone should do a study.

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
To call Rich Aurilia a major league fielding third baseman is spotty at best. I'd rather have the Statue of Liberty at third.
I know they're imperfect, but do we have zone ratings available to compare theses two at 3rd base???

CincyReds2003
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Here is a source that I found on this speculation...
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/07/index.html

Padres Looking For A Third Baseman
Tom Krasovic, a writer for the San Diego Union-Tribune, mentioned all sorts of options for the Padres' third base problem in his article yesterday. The Padres have gotten an offensive line of .227/.266/.330 out of Vinny Castilla, Geoff Blum, and Mark Bellhorn at third base. And that truly is offensive. Krasovic says that GM Kevin Towers has shown interest in Bill Hall, Corey Koskie, Wilson Betemit, and Andy Marte. He also mentioned that Towers was not interested in Aaron Boone and names Morgan Ensberg as a slight possibility. Aramis Ramirez cannot be had.

Krasovic goes on to indicate that any deal with Milwaukee will have to wait as they assess their playoff chances, and that the Indians are likely to view Marte as a future building block. Personally, I think the Braves will want Betemit around for the next few seasons and the Astros can't afford to lose Ensberg, who has an OPS of .890. But Towers has to do something doesn't he?

I decided to compile a nifty spreadsheet of all the trades Towers has made since 2001. Go ahead - Download san_diego_padres_towers.xls. From this compilation I learned a few things about Towers's favorite trading partners. He works well with Brian Cashman and the Yankees, albeit on mostly minor deals (5 trades since 2001). Towers also gets along well with Bill Bavasi and the Mariners - they've made four trades since 2001. He's also made plenty of trades with the Red Sox, whether the GM was Mike Port, Theo Epstein, or the College of GMs.

Towers's only swap with Dave Littlefield of the Pirates took place a year ago, when he acquired Dave Ross. However, you do have to wonder if Towers will simply replicate his move from last year: add Joe Randa. Randa represents only a modest upgrade over the current third basemen, however, and he was lousy with the Padres last year.

Given the Boston connection, Towers could pursue the resurgent Mike Lowell. The 32 year-old makes $9MM this year and another $9MM in '07, but he is hitting .307/.359/.516 for Boston. Epstein could find catching prospect George Kottaras to his liking - Kottaras is hitting .276/.394/.451 for San Diego's Double A affiliate. Ben Johnson could be expendable and any team would love to have righty Cesar Carrillo.

Towers acquired Rich Aurilia two years ago, and he could be a useful addition again if acquired from the Reds. Aurilia is slugging .488 on the season. Another low-tier option could be Tony Graffanino of the Royals, who has played 26 games at third this year.

Super long shot: Adrian Beltre. In an April interview with this website, Seattle Post-Intelligencer columnist John Hickey indicated that Beltre could be available if anyone would take a chunk of his contract. And I already mentioned that Towers likes working with Bavasi. On the other hand, Beltre's been awful this season and the Padres don't typically trade for huge contracts.

I think Towers will make some sort of move, even if it's far too late to actually make a difference. I expect something of the Aurilia/Graffanino flavor based on past history.

jimbo
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
You mean young players make errors?

Wow!!!!

Someone should do a study.

I for one, understand what you are saying. I realize EE is going to have his growing pains. I question giving him the time to grow when the team is fighting for a playoff spot. If the team was strong overall defensively, it wouldn't be such an issue. The Reds main concern right now is winning, not developing a third baseman.

westofyou
07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I for one, understand what you are saying. I realize EE is going to have his growing pains. I question giving him the time to grow when the team is fighting for a playoff spot. If the team was strong overall defensively, it wouldn't be such an issue. The Reds main concern right now is winning, not developing a third baseman.
That's a valid point, and it's the one the Reds are taking now. But I also think that deep down they know that they won't be fighting for much later on and that's when EE will get his chance to sink or swim.

Young guys have to fail at this level to really get a grip on what they can do, the Reds have the worst 3rd base history of the teams that have ben around prior to expansion, it would be best if they don't cut bait too soon on EE.

If Lopez was Larkin then I suspect EE would have less of a probelm... but if wishes were horses we'd all be riding.

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
That's a valid point, and it's the one the Reds are taking now. But I also think that deep down they know that they won't be fighting for much later on and that's when EE will get his chance to sink or swim.

Young guys have to fail at this level to really get a grip on what they can do, the Reds have the worst 3rd base history of the teams that have ben around prior to expansion, it would be best if they don't cut bait too soon on EE.

If Lopez was Larkin then I suspect EE would have less of a probelm... but if wishes were horses we'd all be riding.
Yup... Narron didn't have any problem playing EE most every day in the 2nd half of last year, did he?

Last year, not even close to contending.
This year, maybe a bit different.

If they fall out of contention and EE's not playing 90% of the time, I'll question it.

Rob Dicken
07-13-2006, 12:34 PM
I have no problem with trading Rich Aurilia. But trading him for ANOTHER catcher?

We need relief folks, and if it comes down to trading him for a catcher, I'd rather keep Aurilia.

Without him or Freel to fill in the line-up due to injuries to main starters, this Reds team really wouldn't have the quality hitting it would. The starters are the main part of the offense, but without quality bench players, this offense still wouldn't be as good IMO.

LoganBuck
07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I read all this. I want my 5 minutes back!

Heath
07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Here is a source that I found on this speculation...
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/07/index.html

Padres Looking For A Third Baseman
Krasovic says that GM Kevin Towers has shown interest in Bill Hall, Corey Koskie, Wilson Betemit, and Andy Marte.

anything to get rid of Bill Hall, Reds Killer, out of the NL Central is good enough for me.

Heath
07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I read all this. I want my 5 minutes back!

Have Krono validate your parking.