PDA

View Full Version : 14 Batters 11 Pitchers

RedLegSuperStar
07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I wonder if Wise heads to AAA While Elizardo comes up from single A. The Reds would have to do some shifting around. This team can't go into the 2nd half with 11 pitchers can they?

Cedric
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
They should. I doubt they will.

reds44
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
If Edwin doesn't start to the next few games, I fear it might be him.

And the sad thing is I am not joking. If Krvisky doesn't want Deno up here because he wouldn't get consistent at bats, why would he want Edwin?

I hope Edwin is starting tomorrow.

Jpup
07-12-2006, 09:48 PM
If Edwin doesn't start to the next few games, I fear it might be him.

And the sad thing is I am not joking. If Krvisky doesn't want Deno up here because he wouldn't get consistent at bats, why would he want Edwin?

I hope Edwin is starting tomorrow.

:deadhorse

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Why carry 12 pitchers when 3 of them are basically interchangeable "hope and pray" pitchers

Get an extra bat.

Kc61
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't expect a move until it is EZ's turn to start. Until then, bringing him up accomplishes nothing since he won't pitch anyway.

At that point, the Reds will have a decision to make. Perhaps someone goes on the DL. Or, they drop a pitcher and go with 11 pitchers. Or, they drop a bench player. I'm not sure it would be Wise -- they need extra outfielders, particularly since Freel plays other positions.

Hard to know what they plan. Don't expect EE to go down, but wouldn't be shocked.

Big Klu
07-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I am on record as saying 12 pitchers is too many. (In my opinion, it's two too many, but I am willing to compromise.) My optimum roster would have only 10 pitchers, but I am willing to go with 11. However, the powers that be seem to think that the clubs needs 12 pitchers. I don't see it, especially when one or two of them rarely see action, and a couple more are ineffective when they do pitch.

From what I understand, 12 pitchers is Jerry Narron's preference, and I disagree with him on this. I blame it on Narron's prior experience in the American League. In the AL, you only need 3-4 substitute position players because of the DH rule.

My preferred 25-man roster:
Starting Lineup (8):
1B Scott Hatteberg/Rich Aurilia (platoon)
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Felipe Lopez
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey, Jr.
RF Austin Kearns
C Dave Ross

Bench (6):
C Jason LaRue
C Javier Valentin
INF Rich Aurilia (or 1B Scott Hatteberg)
INF Juan Castro
INF/OF Ryan Freel
OF Dewayne Wise

If Ross goes on the DL, then Chris Denorfia takes his place on the roster.

Rotation (5):
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Elizardo Ramirez
Matt Belisle (It's time to see what he can do)
Eric Milton (If he continues to struggle, maybe switch him with Claussen)

Bullpen (6):
Eddie Guardado
Todd Coffey
Jason Standridge
Kent Mercker
Esteban Yan
Brandon Claussen

If both Milton and Claussen fail, then Justin Germano and/or Michael Gosling get a shot.