PDA

View Full Version : Three moves I'd explore if I were the Reds GM to win now.

TRF
07-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Pick 3 moves, designed to help the Reds win now. No stocking for the future. Assume ownership want to make a run this year.

Eric Milton + 2M this year, and 2M next year for Jon Rauch. JimBo will ask for Dunn of course, but Milton and Cash could do the trick.
Phil Dumatrait/Justin Germano and Calvin Medlock for Scott Williamson. Cubs are done and the pitching injuries are mounting in Wrigleyville.
Some combination of EE, Kearns, Cueto, Pelland, Olmedo for Willis. Offer the whole package if you can get Cabrerra too.These deals help all teams involved. Now you are the GM.

What are your three deals?

RANDY IN INDY
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I would want no part of Scott Williamson.

lollipopcurve
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I would want no part of Scott Williamson.

Certainly not for any prospect who has a chance of helping the Reds, much less two prospects.

flyer85
07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
If I go to the Cubs I would ask for Wuertz.

No way the Nats trade Rauch for Milton even if the Reds picked up all of the Milton $$. Rauch is simply the better pitcher as this point and it really isn't close.

TRF
07-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I see the point of the thread has been missed. These are three moves I make. Now you make three moves.

And Germano isn't going to help the Reds unless it involves a trade.

registerthis
07-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Jon Rauch I am very interested in, dunno if the Nats would want Milton, though. They'll be in rebuilding mode very shortly. Then again, it's JimBo--who knows?

Scott Williamson I'd be fine with, but I don't think we'd need to offer two prospects to get him. Offer Germano for him and see if the Cubbies bite.

I'm not as concerned about getting Willis, but I wouldn't turn him away, either. If the Reds could obtain him without giving away the farm, then fine.

As far as other pitchers I would go after, I think I'd be inquiring about Sabathia or, to not aim as high, Cliff Lee from Cleveland. Someone mentioned Elmer Dessens from K.C. could be had for not much, and I agree. Also, the Cubbies have some BP arms that could certainly help the reds, I'd be exploring those opportunities as well.

Doc. Scott
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Agreed on Wuertz. More upside and probably cheaper than Williamson... although maybe not. The way Wuertz has been jerked up and down between AAA and the majors suggests he comes fairly inexpensively.

Although I doubt the classic-scouting Cubs would be interested in Germano or Medlock, frankly. They might like Dumatrait. If we offered Pelland I bet we could get Williamson or Wuertz fairly easily (not suggesting we actually do that).

flyer85
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I suggested the Reds go get Rauch when he fell out of favor with the ChiSox in the summer of 2004. He would be a nice addition but it is hard to see how the Reds/Nats fit as trading partners.

On the original thought I think at a minimum the Reds needs to add 1 decent starter and reliever. There are a lot of ways to potentially go about it but in the end you need to find a dance partner that isn't too demanding.

registerthis
07-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I suggested the Reds go get Rauch when he fell out of favor with the ChiSox in the summer of 2004. He would be a nice addition but it is hard to see how the Reds/Nats fit as trading partners.

On the original thought I think at a minimum the Reds needs to add 1 decent starter and reliever. There are a lot of ways to potentially go about it but in the end you need to find a dance partner that isn't too demanding.

The Nats need a dependable shortstop. Desperately. So sending Lopez their way is a possibility. Problem is, aside from Rauch, the Nats don't have much that the Reds would want or that the Nats would be willing to trade.

Spitball
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Reds trade Felipe Lopez, Eric Milton, Justin Germano, and Joey Votto to Baltimore.

Baltimore sends Miguel Tejada, Daniel Cabrera, and Chris Britton to Cincinnati.

TRF
07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Reds trade Felipe Lopez, Eric Milton, Justin Germano, and Joey Votto to Baltimore.

Baltimore sends Miguel Tejada, Daniel Cabrera, and Chris Britton to Cincinnati.

Tejada is a downgrade defensively at SS from Lopez. Once he was decent, but no more. I certainly don't give up Votto for him, even to win now.

pedro
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Tejada is a downgrade defensively at SS from Lopez. Once he was decent, but no more. I certainly don't give up Votto for him, even to win now.

Nobody starting at SS in the majors is a defensive downgrade from Lopez IMO.

I haven't seen Tejada play this year but judging it based on his stats this year vs. his career stats they appear to be very similar. Plus they are better than Lopez'.

TRF
07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I keep hearing he's not got the range he used to, plus he's a supposed cancer in their clubhouse. Not sure if he's worth the effort.

pedro
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I keep hearing he's not got the range he used to, plus he's a supposed cancer in their clubhouse. Not sure if he's worth the effort.

Interesting, I had never heard that. Just last year they were touting him as Captain Rah Rah.

Maybe he doesn't like to lose.

If he's lost range it's not really showing up in the stats yet. Either way, Lopez has no range period and that has been verified by both statistics and observation.

TRF
07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but that can be rectified by switching him and BP. Lopez would have plus range at 2B, and Phillips is a freak.

Has a lot to do with rumors about his supplement use i think. Mostly I bet he just wants out. Plus his contract isn't worth his production. at least IMO.

flyer85
07-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Baltimore sends Miguel Tejada, Daniel Cabrera, and Chris Britton to Cincinnati.that deal does nothing to address the Reds main problem(Cabrera has potential but has been awful to this point in the season).

flyer85
07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Nobody starting at SS in the majors is a defensive downgrade from Lopez IMO.unfortunately that may well be the case.

Washington may be one of the few teams who actually would view Felipe as a starting SS for them but they don't have much to deal at this point.

ramp101
07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Some combination of EE, Kearns, Cueto, Pelland, Olmedo for Willis. Offer the whole package if you can get Cabrerra too.These deals help all teams involved. Now you are the GM.
Marlins have a 3b in Miguel Cabrera, and both players are unavailable at this time.

And if you think you could get Cabs without ATLEAST putting Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce in the trade, you have got to be kidding me

Ltlabner
07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
How much has The Kriv's success on previous moves going to hurt him in the future? In other words, after the steals of Arroyo, Hatteburg, Phillips and Ross are other GM's going to be even more supsicious of Kriv's offers that they might have already been? The other GM would think..."hum, what am I missing" when Kriv enquirers about a particular player. Or worse in an effort to avoid being "skunked" themselves, are even more demanding of what they get in a trade.

TRF
07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Marlins have a 3b in Miguel Cabrera, and both players are unavailable at this time.

And if you think you could get Cabs without ATLEAST putting Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce in the trade, you have got to be kidding me

Bailey AND Bruce? Along with the others I mentioned?

Not a chance.

Kearns, Cueto and Pelland for Willis is a steal for the Marlins. Pelland may end up in the bullpen, but 23 yr old lefties that throw 95+ are worth waiting around for. Cueto was dominating the Midwest League, and while he's adjusting to the Florida State League, his K rate is doing just fine. Kearns you know about.

You can keep Cabrera. He's cheap, and a good fit for you as long as you can keep him.

ramp101
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Bailey AND Bruce? Along with the others I mentioned?

Not a chance.

Kearns, Cueto and Pelland for Willis is a steal for the Marlins. Pelland may end up in the bullpen, but 23 yr old lefties that throw 95+ are worth waiting around for. Cueto was dominating the Midwest League, and while he's adjusting to the Florida State League, his K rate is doing just fine. Kearns you know about.

You can keep Cabrera. He's cheap, and a good fit for you as long as you can keep him.
How is trading a 24 year old with a 52-34 career record and a 3.39era, not to mention a world series ring, for Austin Kearns(a man who cant stay healthy the for the life him), Tyler Pelland(who has severe control problems) and Johnny Cueto(who I actually like) a steal for the Marlins?

Im not trying to sound like an ass, I just would like to know how that is a real good deal for the Fish

harangatang
07-13-2006, 07:42 PM
How is trading a 24 year old with a 52-34 career record and a 3.39era, not to mention a world series ring, for Austin Kearns(a man who cant stay healthy the for the life him), Tyler Pelland(who has severe control problems) and Johnny Cueto(who I actually like) a steal for the Marlins?

Im not trying to sound like an ass, I just would like to know how that is a real good deal for the Fi****'s because fans tend to over value their own players, potential isn't everything.

REDREAD
07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Eric Milton + 2M this year, and 2M next year for Jon Rauch. JimBo will ask for Dunn of course, but Milton and Cash could do the trick.

So, you're the one responsible for having the Reds talk to Washington? :angry: :laugh:

redsrule2500
07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
So, you're the one responsible for having the Reds talk to Washington? :angry: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TRF
07-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Im not trying to sound like an ass, I just would like to know how that is a real good deal for the Fish

I forgot about this thread with the "big trade".

Seeing as how D-Train is in a 4 year devline in K rate, and his OPSA is steadily rising, yeah... I think it would have been a steal. JMO.

KronoRed
07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd take Williamson as long as it was dirt cheap and we wern't on the hook past this season.

Krusty
07-20-2006, 08:46 AM
This is the deal I make:

Reds trade Claussen, LaRue, Germano and Dumtrait to Philadelphia for RHP Lieber, catcher Lieberthal and outfielder Delucci.