PDA

View Full Version : Selig Considers Barring All Star Pitchers From Pitching Before ASG

Razor Shines
07-13-2006, 01:06 PM
From the New York Times:
Considering the importance Commissioner Bud Selig has placed on the All-Star Game, giving home-field advantage in the World Series to the champion of the league that wins the game, he was asked yesterday if it was time to institute a rule barring All-Star pitchers from pitching for their teams right before the game.

Its something we ought to think about, Selig said. I believe that. A moment later he added, Yes, we ought to seriously think about that and do it this winter.

What a stupid idea. Now the ASG is more important than the regular season? Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Reds move their rotation around to get Arroyo another start before the ASG? I haven't liked Selig before but this is getting ridiculous. Why don't we have all All Star players sit out the week before the ASG? We don't want them getting hurt in those meaningless games. How about instead of the ASG deciding home field advantage, just make the winner of the ASG the winner of the world series. Then there's no reason to even play the world series. In fact you'd only have to have the playoffs in one league (the AL this year).

I think it's obvious that Selig wants to be replaced. He couldn't seriously think this is a good idea.

RedsManRick
07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Make the AS Break 4 days, with the game on Wednesday. Futures game on Monday, HR Derby & Skill competition (Tom Emasnky video style OF throw to a trash can!). Problem solved.

boognish
07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Or 5 days...anything but an injunction by Big Bud telling teams what they are and aren't allowed to do with their personnel.

jimbo
07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
That's got to be the most asinine thing I've heard Selig suggest yet. Telling teams when they can use their pitchers........yeah, great idea.

Always Red
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
It just shows you how great of a game baseball actually is...not even Commissioner Bud Selig can ruin it, despite all of his efforts!

tripleaaaron
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
lets just make it a week, have skills competition, have a rookie vs sophmore game, home run derby, pitching competition, futures game, world vs USA game, hall of fame game, a celebrity softball game (fast and slow pitch), a little league plays with the pros game, and a backyard baseball style finale w/ whoever has a better record over the entire all-star week (points standing style) get home field advantage, and whoever wins the individual title gets to automatically play in the world- series whether his team makes it or not

tsj017
07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
It just shows you how great of a game baseball actually is...not even Commissioner Bud Selig can ruin it, despite all of his efforts!

Amen.

Bud makes the likes of Happy Chandler and Bowie Kuhn look good.

cumberlandreds
07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Please retire Mr. Selig and go back to selling used cars.:rolleyes:

KronoRed
07-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Horrible idea, fire this man now.

RBA
07-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Get rid of the All-Star game during the season. Let all the players have 3 full days off to spend with their families or in the case of Adam Dunn, Griffey's family. ;)

Have the all-star game in Honolulu on Veteran's Day.

flyer85
07-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Bud is "dumber than a bag of hammers" :oops:

anyone know which movie the quote was from?

killuminati35
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't understand why everybody thinks it is so important to make the All-Star game mean something. If the players and managers don't want to take it seriously then that is their fault. Maybe if they got a salary bonus to win the game they would actually care.:rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
That's got to be the most asinine thing I've heard Selig suggest yet. Telling teams when they can use their pitchers........yeah, great idea.

Good ol' Bud.

redsfan30
07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of in my life.

dougflynn23
07-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Make the AS Break 4 days, with the game on Wednesday. Futures game on Monday, HR Derby & Skill competition (Tom Emasnky video style OF throw to a trash can!). Problem solved. :eek: I don't think the skills competition is coming back after Barry Larkin tore an elbow ligament in 1989 after participating in a throwing drill.

KySteveH
07-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Bud is "dumber than a bag of hammers" :oops:

anyone know which movie the quote was from?

O Brother, Where Art Thou...but I don't know if it was in a movie before that.

KronoRed
07-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I think Bud is still mad about this picture
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-07-14-inside-selig.jpg