pedro
07-14-2006, 12:02 PM
That won't last.

Heath
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
OPS since joining Reds = .943

Just Sayin' ;)

It's a week sale on milk too at Kroger.

It will soon return to it's normal price.

Jpup
07-14-2006, 12:22 PM
So, do you guys think Castro will continue to play everyday or is Clayton going to get the spot? I would have to go with Castro since he is certainly playing the best right now.

princeton
07-14-2006, 12:26 PM
OPS since joining Reds = .943

Just Sayin' ;)

it's good to have Juan back just so that we can once again read posts such as these :beerme:

reds44
07-14-2006, 12:27 PM
So, do you guys think Castro will continue to play everyday or is Clayton going to get the spot? I would have to go with Castro since he is certainly playing the best right now.
What he is doing right now is a fluke, but you might as well play the hot hand until he cools off.

TOBTTReds
07-14-2006, 12:27 PM
That won't last.

You are brilliant Pedro.

I think you play who is hot. They are very similar hitters and right now Castro is hitting. Ride the train.

princeton
07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
You are brilliant Pedro.

I think you play who is hot. They are very similar hitters and right now Castro is hitting. Ride the train.

I like posts like this, too :devil:

flyer85
07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
So, do you guys think Castro will continue to play everyday or is Clayton going to get the spot? I would have to go with Castro since he is certainly playing the best right now.I have no idea what may happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see RA get the majority of starts at 3b and Clayton at SS. When Hatty goes into his swoon and Phillips and Ross regress to their mean the 2nd half offensive drop is likely to be precipitous.

Chip R
07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I have no idea what may happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see RA get the majority of starts at 3b and Clayton at SS. When Hatty goes into his swoon and Phillips and Ross regress to their mean the 2nd half offensive drop is likely to be precipitous.

I think you're right. I don't think we'll see much of Castro except as a defensive replacement for EE, a double switch situation or an ocassional start at 3rd against a tough lefty. I know that doesn't make much sense but in Narronland you can't have Mr. Hat face a lefty and so you put Aurilia there. And since runs will probably be at a premium, you want to have the Good Hands infield of Clayton and Castro so you don't give away runs with EE's arm. I don't think they got Clayton to platoon him with Castro no matter how hot he's been lately.

RedFanAlways1966
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
* The REDS scored 5 runs or less in 46 of their 89 games in the 1st half.
* The REDS averaged 4.22 runs per game in the month of May... a month that saw 14 QS, but a 6-8 record in those games. Only 1 blown save in those 14 QS games by the BP.

All of this with the 2nd worst fielding SS in the NL (Furcal)... whose offense does not justify his weak defensive ability at one of the most important defensive spots on a baseball team IMO.

The batting may suffer some w/out Lopez at SS... but the upgrade on defense should outweigh the slide in offense. It is not like Felipe is a "great" offensive guy anyhow. Can he be? Perhaps. But you will not win a lot of games by coughing up 3-4 runs every game in innings 7 through 9 either. Or giving up outs and giving away runs from the spot that needs to be defensively strong.

captainmorgan07
07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
* The REDS averaged 4.22 runs per game in the month of May... a month that saw 14 QS, but a 6-8 record in those games. Only 1 blown save in those 14 QS games by the BP.

All of this with the 2nd worst fielding SS in the NL (Furcal)... whose offense does not justify his weak defensive ability at one of the most important defensive spots on a baseball team IMO.

The batting may suffer some w/out Lopez at SS... but the upgrade on defense should outweigh the slide in offense. It is not like Felipe is a "great" offensive guy anyhow. Can he be? Perhaps. But you will not win a lot of games by coughing up 3-4 runs every game in innings 7 through 9 either. Or giving up outs and giving away runs from the spot that needs to be defensively strong.
i totally agree defense and pitching win championships the starters have held up there end the defense and bullpen sure as heck got better after that trade yesterday

RedsManRick
07-14-2006, 01:19 PM

I agree with the defensive upgrade idea in theory. The problem is that our current best defensive SS is playing 2B, followed by a guy in AAA. Royce Clayton and Juan Castro were both plus defenders 5 years ago and are now average on their good days. Offensively however, they are such crappy hitters that even if they were Ozzie Smith, Lopez would still be more valuable.

Danny Serafini
07-14-2006, 01:25 PM
That won't last.

It shouldn't, he should start to heat up any time now. :D

CTA513
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Castro is batting .343 and slugging .600 since joining the Reds.

Pujols better watch out.

;)

penantboundreds
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
the trade helps us if we put freel in at 2b phillips at ss and edwin 3b....then griffey dunn and deno with ross/larue catching .... aurillia and hatty at 1st

redsrule2500
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
the trade helps us if we put freel in at 2b phillips at ss and edwin 3b....then griffey dunn and deno with ross/larue catching .... aurillia and hatty at 1st

I wish.

KronoRed
07-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Castro is batting .343 and slugging .600 since joining the Reds.

Pujols better watch out.

;)
The pitchers aren't used to him yet ;)

Marc D
07-14-2006, 04:21 PM

I pointed to the May data to make a different point about this team a while back. Specifically they have been losing so long that its ingrained in them. I honestly feel that even if the pen is fixed, something else will fall apart.

Removing the offending mindset is why I was in favor of a complete top down gutting of the current team and why I'm fine with Felo and AK being gone. I just didn't mean for them to be given away.

PuffyPig
07-14-2006, 04:46 PM
No matter how good Castro is hitting, he's got a lifetime of poor hitting.He's not going to suddenly get it. Keep him on the bench as much as possible.

Clayton is a bad hitter, but he's not Castro bad.

As much as Lopez is a better hitter than Clayton, Clayton is as much better than Castro.

Our best option is Freel at 2nd, and Phillips at SS.

But Phillips/Clayton is much , much better than Castro/Phillips.

zombie-a-go-go
07-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Wasn't it 04 when Castro was tearing the cover off the ball in the first few months of the season?

Didn't last then, won't last now.

Marc D
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Wasn't it 04 when Castro was tearing the cover off the ball in the first few months of the season?

Didn't last then, won't last now.

Yep.

Buddy of mine was 1 under after 3 holes the other day. Still shot 100. He'd be the first to tell you its because he just isn't a very good golfer.

GAC
07-14-2006, 05:28 PM
That won't last.

You just jinxed him pedro! :D

GAC
07-14-2006, 05:32 PM

When I read this (option) I just want to break down and sob uncontrollably.

http://www.punjabkesari.com/health/health_files/crying.jpg

I've firmly convinced myself that this "situation" is only to get us through this year, and that BP will be our SS in '07.

I hope so..... or I'm going to have to have my tear ducts replaced.

Red in Chicago
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
i don't think anyone is suggesting that castro is the official shortstop of the future here...but come on, the guy's hitting a ton right now, if only for a short time...go with the hot hand...enjoy it while it lasts...see david ross...many here wondered why he was playing and all he kept doing was hitting...castro's playing time isn't really holding anyone back at this point in time...

harangatang
07-14-2006, 06:48 PM
The thing I always noticed about Catro was even though he is a BAD hitter once in a while he would go on a tear and show some pop in his bat too. One of these tears offensively was what got him on at Minnesota as he tore up the last part of the season with the Reds. But I guess even the worst hitters get lucky every now and then.

Raisor
07-14-2006, 07:17 PM
That +900 OPS Castro has has boosted his season OPS to 634.

ooooooohhhhhhhh goody.

GAC
07-14-2006, 08:53 PM
That +900 OPS Castro has has boosted his season OPS to 634.

ooooooohhhhhhhh goody.

The sky's the limit baby! :lol:

CougarQuest
07-14-2006, 09:52 PM
That won't last.
You really think it will get better?
:devil:

IslandRed
07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
I wonder if Castro's long for the roster once he stops impersonating a real hitter. With Clayton replacing Lopez, our defensive-caddy duties are reduced, particularly with Aurilia still around to take too much PT from Encarnacion. If Brendan Harris can play acceptable defense around the infield as I read in one of those articles, his better bat may land him the utility-infielder job before long.

GAC
07-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Mabe Chambliss has fixed Castro? :evil:

princeton
07-15-2006, 07:32 AM
sigh.

the thing is that if you wait for Castro's numbers to drop to career norms before you've benched him, then you've allowed the guy to go hitless in 50 atbats

we've done that before. He's very capable.

why do we have both Castro and Clayton, BTW? Aren't they the same player?

RedFanAlways1966
07-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Shortstop... defense 1st, offense 2nd. SS defense doesn't do much for fantasy league types, but sure goes a looooonnnnnnggggg way on the playing field.

Not saying Castro is the answer. But I am saying that Felipe's glove was not the answer either. And let us not be fooled... Felipe IS NOT a force offensively. He is pretty good offensively (better than Clayton & Castro). But I think it needs to be stated that Felipe Lopez is not a superstar on the offense... not even close. His future? Maybe he will be an offensive force. But will he ever play consistently on defense? I would not bet money on it. I am the type who likes a solid glove at what many would say is the most important posiiton on the field from a defensive perspective.

Weaknesses for the 2006 REDS... left-side infield defense & relief pitching. Got to give to get. The REDS did. Will it work out? Not sure, but the Dan O'Brien & Carl Lindner method of doing nothing was a method that made me ill.

SteelSD
07-15-2006, 11:46 AM
sigh.

the thing is that if you wait for Castro's numbers to drop to career norms before you've benched him, then you've allowed the guy to go hitless in 50 atbats

Very well said.

Red in Chicago
07-15-2006, 12:14 PM
sigh.

you simply ride the wave while he's hot...if he struggles after 4 or 5 games
(16 -20 at bats) in a row, you sit him back down on the bench and let royce take over...

the ball that royce misplayed in yesterday's game, couldn't have been easier to handle unless you physically put it in his glove for him...

players get hot and players get cold...castro's "hot" by his standards...let him play for now...

Big Klu
07-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I would not be surprised to see Juan Castro become a coach in the Reds organization (either with the big club or at the minor-league level) when he retires. He truly likes the Reds, and the front office likes him, and he seems to have a good relationship with the younger Latino players.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 03:56 PM
his better bat may land him the utility-infielder job before long.
His bat this year has been awful, in limited time of course, but combined with his other shots in the majors I don't think he gets a real shot on the roster before next season

princeton
07-15-2006, 08:25 PM
you simply ride the wave while he's hot...if he struggles after 4 or 5 games
(16 -20 at bats) in a row, you sit him back down on the bench...

that's 16-20 atbats that you don't get back.

he's lousy. He only plays if someone's tired.

very tired

Chip R
07-17-2006, 12:33 AM

Not to mention 4 to 5 games.

KronoRed
07-17-2006, 01:26 AM

he's lousy. He only plays if someone's tired.

very tired
I'd say coma.

redsmetz
07-17-2006, 06:24 AM
the ball that royce misplayed in yesterday's game, couldn't have been easier to handle unless you physically put it in his glove for him...

I found Maj's comment about that play interesting. I was at the game on Friday and thought like you did. But Maj (sorry can't spell the whole name) said there was a tremendous amount of spin on that ball and he knew it would be trouble.

I'll cut him a break on that one.