PDA

View Full Version : Yan designated, Bergolla sent down, Belisle on the DL

Matt700wlw
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
To make room on the roster for RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray and SS Royce Clayton, the Reds today designated for assignment RHP Esteban Yan, optioned to Louisville IF William Bergolla and placed RHP Matt Belisle on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 10, with a strained lower back.

Additionally, today the Reds claimed off waivers from the Nationals and optioned to Louisville OF Brandon Watson.

Watson started the season with the Nationals and appeared in 9 games…on 4/13 he was optioned to Class AAA New Orleans, where in 21 games he hit .305 with 11 runs, 13 RBI and 2 stolen bases…from 5/27-7/9 he was on New Orleans’ disabled list with a dislocated left shoulder.

Watson has 165 stolen bases in 8 minor league seasons. He is the godson of 2-time National League All-Star and Reds Hall of Famer OF Eric Davis.

registerthis
07-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I didn't realize Belisle was injured.

Or should I say "injured".

ochre
07-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Watson has 165 stolen bases in 8 minor league seasons. He is the godson of 2-time National League All-Star and Reds Hall of Famer OF Eric Davis.
Tom Lawless Fan will be geeked about this.

CrackerJack
07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Uh, what's up with Belisle? Wasn't he doing just fine since he came back?

That really stinks for the BP, which all of a sudden was starting to shape up nicely with the trade...

Benihana
why did we have to move three guys? what about kearns and lopez's roster spots?

dabvu2498
Mercker and Weathers still in Cincy. I'm not as happy at 3:30 on a Friday as I should be.

dabvu2498
07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Filled by Bergolla and Superman... errrr... Denorfia.

Joseph
07-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Yes, we subtract 2 guys and add 4; Deno, Bray, Majewski, & Clayton.

wheels
07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Tom Lawless Fan will be geeked about this.

:laugh:

Dunner44
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Who goes when we have to add the Lizard? My guess is Standridge gets sent back down. He looked okay for a while, but he still has control problems, which is why he fell out of favor of the old regime.

And then who knows what happens once Belisle is ready.... Merc or Weathers might go then, depending on performance.

VR
07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Mercker and Weathers still in Cincy. I'm not as happy at 3:30 on a Friday as I should be.

Is it Merck's 2.70 ERA or his 1.05 WHIP since the end of May that has you distressed? ;)

Brian
07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Huh, the Belisle thing is a little puzzling, though I figured a DL'd player would factor into today's moves. I just thought it might be Ross, even though he's supposed to be close. Either way, there are still more decisions to be made, Elizardo comes back to pitch on Sunday remember.

Dunner44
07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Huh, the Belisle thing is a little puzzling, though I figured a DL'd player would factor into today's moves. I just thought it might be Ross, even though he's supposed to be close. Either way, there are still more decisions to be made, Elizardo comes back to pitch on Sunday remember.

I posted this on another thread, but i'll repeat it here, because I just shocked myself with my crazy smarts.

Here's a thought. If Ross's injury lingers a few more days, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him DLed retroactive to the injury. That would clear room on the roster for the Lizard and give LaRue a few more games to prove himself to other teams that he has recovered from his knee/slump early in the season. Ross's injury was before the all star game, so his stay would only be a couple games before he could come back, but that may be enough to move LaRue.

Guacarock
07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
So we designate Yan for assignment after he comes over from the Angels and goes 15 innings for us, posting a 3.60 ERA and 1.33 WHIP.

And who do we replace him with? Majewski, whose 2006 stats with the Nationals -- 3.58 ERA, 1.34 WHIP -- are practically identical with Yan's during his brief stay with the Reds.

Admittedly, Yan is old and not as cheap or dependable as Majewski. Esteban's stats would certainly degenerate if he got used in as many situations as Majewski.

Even so, knowing that, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that our GM gave away two young, everyday studs for two modestly talented middle relievers from a last-place team, not even that team's best bullpen arms.

Was this highway robbery? A salary dump? A circle jerk? Or a vain, rash attempt by Krivsky to effect an extreme makeover of the team in his own image (a la some arrogant new Hollywood regime that's just taken over a studio and dumps the prior management's full slate of titles, never mind the financial repercusssions)?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bowden lift Yan off the waiver wire, and have him outpitch Majewski the balance of '06. Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound!

CTA513
07-14-2006, 04:13 PM
So we designate Yan for assignment after he comes over from the Angels and goes 15 innings for us, posting a 3.60 ERA and 1.33 WHIP.

And who do we replace him with? Majewski, whose 2006 stats with the Nationals -- 3.58 ERA, 1.34 WHIP -- are practically identical with Yan's during his brief stay with the Reds.

Admittedly, Yan is old and not as cheap or dependable as Majewski. Esteban's stats would certainly degenerate if he got used in as many situations as Majewski.

Even so, knowing that, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that our GM gave away two young, everyday studs for two modestly talented middle relievers from a last-place team, not even that team's best bullpen arms.

Was this highway robbery? A salary dump? A circle jerk? Or a vain, rash attempt by Krivsky to effect an extreme makeover of the team in his own image (a la some arrogant new Hollywood regime that's just taken over a studio and dumps the prior management's full slate of titles, never mind the financial repercusssions)?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bowden lift Yan off the waiver wire, and have him outpitch Majewski the balance of '06. Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound!

Yan has a 5.14 ERA for his career.
Majewski has a 3.27 ERA for his career.

Matt700wlw
07-14-2006, 04:16 PM
The fact that the Reds traded with Jim Bowden makes me feel better about it too....he has a history of screwing these things up.

:)

Royals Fan
07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Brandon Watson i think is Eric Daivis nephew, correct em if I am wrong.

cincy jacket
07-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Brandon Watson i think is Eric Daivis nephew, correct em if I am wrong.

He is the godson of Davis I think I read somewhere.

Royals Fan
07-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I saw earlier this year- has some speed but and play good D in center field.

Guacarock
07-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Yan has a 5.14 ERA for his career.
Majewski has a 3.27 ERA for his career.

Career stats mean next to nothing when you're discussing relievers. There are very few who are consistent year in and year out. Most run hot and cold, all over the map, up one year, down the next.

My point isn't that Yan is a better long-range option than Majewski. It's that Yan could conceivably end '06 with a better WHIP and ERA than Majewski. And if that does happen, especially if it happens with Yan wearing a Nationals uniform, wouldn't there be a certain edge of irony in that?

GOREDSGO32
07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Um Yan had an extremely high ERA with the Angels THIS year also. At least with the fools gold stats in the NL maybe some dumb GM will take a look at him and trade for him.

Gallen5862
07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...2/c1396823.jsp
Notes: Pressure getting to Watson
04/12/2006 8:30 PM ET
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINTON -- During Spring Training, Nationals leadoff hitter Brandon Watson outplayed outfielder Ryan Church by batting .308 and stealing a team-high eight bases. Watson made the Opening Day roster, while Church was sent down to Triple-A New Orleans.
But so far this season, Watson has been nowhere near the player who impressed manager Frank Robinson and surprised general manager Jim Bowden. Entering Wednesday's action, Watson was 4-for-23 with no runs scored. He is not working the count, and he's swinging at everything. It hasn't helped that pitchers are throwing first-pitch strikes.

"I know I can hit. I have to take my time and relax and not put so much pressure on myself. I have to make sure I do the little things I'm supposed to do to be successful," Watson said. "The pitchers are coming at me and, basically, I'll be hitting 0-2 every time. When I'm swinging, I put the ball in play most of the time. I want to be sure I'm swinging at strikes."

How much rope Robinson is going to give Watson remains to be seen, but the Nationals have to start winning, and Watson has to start producing in order for him to stay in the lineup.

"One thing he has to start doing -- he has to start being productive. He has to," Robinson said. "He can't keep going 0-for-3, 0-for-4, 0-for-4, 1-for-4, that type of thing at the top of the lineup. Because if you look up most of the time, [Jose] Vidro, [batting second], is hitting with nobody on.

"Watson has an idea at the plate, but he is fighting for his life in the short period of time he's at the big-league level. He wants to be successful, he wants to help this team win ballgames. He is probably trying a little too hard right now."

Thinking about the arms: If Robinson had his way, none of his relievers would pitch against the Mets on Wednesday, because they have been overworked. They have already pitched a combined 29 2/3 innings.

The Nationals need their starters to go deep in games. Entering Wednesday, none of the Nationals starters has gone seven innings or deeper.

Injury report: Shortstop Cristian Guzman, on the disabled list with a tear in his right shoulder, threw across the diamond 15 times during batting practice on Wednesday and didn't feel any pain. It was the first time that Guzman did such an exercise since learning of the injury last month. Head athletic trainer Tim Abraham said that Guzman will continue to throw across the diamond to increase his strength. Guzman had already taken batting practice without feeling any pain.

"I'm feeling better. I'm feeling strong," Guzman said.

Catcher/first baseman Robert Fick, on the disabled list after minor surgery in his right elbow, took light batting practice for the second time in less than a week, and he didn't feel any pain. Fick did say, however, that he felt a little soreness in his right shoulder after not throwing in a long time.

"My elbow feels great," Fick said. "I have a little soreness from just throwing. It's natural."

Fick said that he hopes to start playing in a Minor League games by the end of the week.

Reliever Mike Stanton was not available for Wednesday's game because of the flu.

Stats of the day: Entering Wednesday's action, the Nationals' bullpen is 1-1 with a 5.76 ERA, no saves, 20 walks and 18 strikeouts.

Did you know? Daryle Ward's pinch-hit solo home run on Monday against the Astros was the franchise's first extra-inning home run since Wallace Johnson went deep against Giants left-hander Atlee Hammaker on May 20, 1990.

Coming up: The Nationals return to Robert F. Kennedy Stadium to play the Mets on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. ET.

Livan Hernandez will get the start for Washington, while Victor Zambrano will take the hill for New York.

Hernandez will face Mets for the second time this season. On April 3, he gave up three runs in six innings as New York won, 3-2.

In his last outing, Hernandez had one bad inning that almost proved to be costly. The Astros scored five runs in the first inning, highlighted by Lance Berkman's two-run home run. Hernandez settled down, giving up one run in the next five innings, and the Nationals won the game, 12-8.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Gallen5862
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
We can look at this as a trade of Yan for Brandon Watson. This way we dfa Yan and make 40 man roster room to claim Watson and send him to AAA. The Reds still have a chance to trade Yan.

fisch11
07-14-2006, 06:38 PM
This makes sense. Standridge probably goes down for Elizardo....and Mays DFA for Claussen possibly?

GOREDSGO32
07-14-2006, 06:49 PM
New rotation: Wilson, who will be up soon .. Milton, Mays, Claussen, Balfour. DFA Harang and Arroyo please.

Rob Dicken
07-14-2006, 08:46 PM
New rotation: Wilson, who will be up soon .. Milton, Mays, Claussen, Balfour. DFA Harang and Arroyo please.

You better be kidding.....:eek:

Razor Shines
07-14-2006, 11:49 PM
At least that's consistent, DFA'ing Harang and Arroyo is about as likely as Wilson being in the rotation this year.

crazybob60
07-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Wow...Belisle didn't last that long before going back on the DL, kinda sad for him about that, seems like a really nice guy when I briefly met him and Estaban Yan, what a short stay, we barely knew ye.

crazybob60
07-15-2006, 01:25 AM

Oh my goodness, please lord no....