PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents in '07

HBP
07-14-2006, 11:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aku9j2Xfhq8EWca0CPMH8iY5nYcB?slug=jp-freeagents071406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Nothing too intriuging here. Iíve always liked Nomar, but heís an injury waiting to happen. Wonít be able to afford any of the top pitchers, but I could see Castellini wanting to make a run for Mulder. Gil Meche could be a possibility.

1) Daisuke Matsuzaka, SP, Seibu Lions (Japan)
2) Barry Zito, SP, Oakland Athletics
3) Alfonso Soriano, 2B/OF, Washington Nationals
4) Carlos Lee, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
5) Nomar Garciaparra, 1B, Los Angeles Dodgers
6) Jason Schmidt, SP, San Francisco Giants
7) Mike Mussina*, SP, Yankees
8) Torii Hunter*, OF, Minnesota Twins
9) Seung-Yeop Lee, OF, Yomiuri Giants (Japan)
10) Mark Mulder, SP, St. Louis Cardinals
11) Gary Sheffield*, OF, New York Yankees
12) Julio Lugo, SS, Tampa Bay Devil Rays
13) Gary Matthews Jr., OF, Texas Rangers
14) Cliff Floyd, OF, New York Mets
15) Barry Bonds, OF, San Francisco
16) Jason Marquis, SP, St. Louis
17) Kerry Wood*, SP, Chicago Cubs
18) Trot Nixon, OF, Boston Red Sox
19) Adam Eaton, SP, Texas
20) Bengie Molina*, C, Toronto Blue Jays
21) Frank Catalanotto, OF/IF, Toronto
22) Ted Lilly, SP, Toronto
23) Juan Pierre, OF, Chicago Cubs
24) Shea Hillenbrand, IF, Toronto
25) Eric Gagne*, RP, Los Angeles Dodgers
25a) Roger Clemens, SP, Houston Astros

A dozen potential bargains

1) Rod Barajas, C, Texas
2) Gil Meche, SP, Seattle
3) David Dellucci, OF, Philadelphia
4) Mark DeRosa, 2B/OF, Texas
5) Jose Guillen, OF, Washington
6) Scott Hatteberg, 1B, Cincinnati
7) Tomo Ohka, SP, Milwaukee
8) Dave Roberts, OF, San Diego
9) Javier Valentin, C, Cincinnati
10) Jeff Weaver, SP, St. Louis
11) Randy Wolf, SP, Philadelphia
12) Craig Wilson, 1B/OF, Pittsburgh

goreds2
07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Unless I missed it on the list, isn't Sean Casey a free agent next year? Word is, he would like to come back to Cincy.

corkedbat
07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Wonder what Sean would cost? Less than $2M? I'd rather re-sign Hatteberg if a stop-gap is needed until Votto's ready.

Razor Shines
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I wonder how much Zito would cost us? If we cleared LaRue's salary sometime before next year and with Lopez and Kearns gone we might have enough money to get him. And with Phillips most likely going to SS (I think) we would also need a 2nd baseman. And I also would rather have Hatteberg than Casey.

corkedbat
07-15-2006, 12:03 AM
We might not have a real shot at Zito, Schmidt or Mulder, but I'd still make a run at them, possibly Marquis or Eatonf from the next tier. Meche, maybe Wolf (not sure how he's done this year) from the bargain bin - wouldn't mind Craig Wilson for bench strength if the price is right

Newman4
07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
I wonder how much Zito would cost us?

I think the A.J.Burnett deal set the minimum these guys (Zito, Mulder and Schimdt) will ask: 4 years/ 44 million neighborhood.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of Zito in GABP, for some reason I just visualize his hanging, looping curve getting smacked out a lot, but he'd be worth a shot.:)

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
We might not have a real shot at Zito, Schmidt or Mulder, but I'd still make a run at them, possibly Marquis or Eatonf from the next tier. Meche, maybe Wolf (not sure how he's done this year) from the bargain bin - wouldn't mind Craig Wilson for bench strength if the price is right
I think Schmidt is too old to throw a lot of money at. Mulder is having a horrible year with an ERA over 6, but he has been injured. Zito is having a fairly good season with an ERA of 3.29 and a WHIP of 1.28. And he is the youngest of the three at only 28 so I figure he's got 5 or 6 good seasons left.

corkedbat
07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
As a matter of fact. you could probably sign Hat & Wilson for less than what Casey would consider a discounted price - maybe even have something left over for a 2B

I'd pay $11-12/per for Zito at the top of the rotation

RedsFanatic
07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Schimidt is the best pitcher on the market. IMO he is loads better than Zito. He is also a workhorse much like Harang.

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Schimidt is the best pitcher on the market. IMO he is loads better than Zito. He is also a workhorse much like Harang.
He may be the best pitcher on the market but for how many more years? He's 33 Zito is 28, Schmidt is probably going to ask for a long term contract. I suppose if he has the longevity of Roger Clemens then that would be ok, but I don't know how well he keeps himself in shape. And I don't think he is "loads" better than Zito.

RedsFanatic
07-15-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't think Zito is a #1 starter. He doesn't have good K numbers and his ERA the last few years has been in the very high 3 range. While Schmidt has been injury prone, when he is healthy he has overpowering stuff. I would offer JS 13 mill a year for 3 years at the most. Zito IMO should get a contract that owes a little more money than Milton got, even though I know someone will brake the bank on him.

toledodan
07-15-2006, 12:33 AM
He may be the best pitcher on the market but for how many more years? He's 33 Zito is 28, Schmidt is probably going to ask for a long term contract. I suppose if he has the longevity of Roger Clemens then that would be ok, but I don't know how well he keeps himself in shape. And I don't think he is "loads" better than Zito.

DETROIT TOOK A CHANCE ON KENNY ROGERS, WHY CAN'T WE WITH SCHMIDT? we are going to have a hard time getting a top of the line pitcher here unless we overpay. do i want to do that? hell no, but thats just reality. i laughed when detroit signed rogers and boy did they make look stupid.:p: 33 is still young for a pitcher so lets show them the money!

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 12:42 AM
DETROIT TOOK A CHANCE ON KENNY ROGERS, WHY CAN'T WE WITH SCHMIDT? we are going to have a hard time getting a top of the line pitcher here unless we overpay. do i want to do that? hell no, but thats just reality. i laughed when detroit signed rogers and boy did they make look stupid.:p: 33 is still young for a pitcher so lets show them the money!
Well don't feel stupid too soon. K Rog is historically a bad second half pitcher. Guess we'll have to wait and see. And I'm not saying we can't because I have no say whatsoever. And like I said Schmidt may have the longevity of Clemens, and if we did get Schmidt I would very excited about our chances next season.

Scrap Irony
07-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Assuming the Reds stand pat, I'd gamble on a couple great arms with injury question marks and one or two solid contributors in the pen. (I'm also assuming the Matsuzakas, Zitos, and Schmidts of the world will again bypass Cincinnati in favor of more money and prominence in other baseball towns.)

Intriguing Possibilities:
Mike Mussina
I figure he'll be overlooked this year, as his numbers are really, really solid. I know he's 38 and has pitched a ton of innings, but most teams will shy away because of those innings and years. Overpay a bit with either years or million and hope he can continue throwing the knuckle curve (and develop a knuckleball, perhaps?). If nothing else, he'd be an excellent man in the clubhouse, as he obviously knows how to pitch.

Randy Wolf: He's used to pitching in an unforgiving environment as a home park and is also an excellent example of a pitcher and not a thrower. He's hurt right now and a gamble, but better gamble on his elbow than Wood's or Mulder's rotator cuff.

Vincente Padilla: Another ex-Phil could be a good acquisition. He's got good stuff and has been decent with Texas this year. That's an extreme hitter's park, so he's used to that. He could be an outstanding #4.

Relievers are tougher. Baez will be available and I could see Krivsky go after him and his 97 mph fastball. Not a horrible option, though he shouldn't overpay.

Another option is to sign a couple starters and bring up a starter or two and convert someone to closer. Anyone else think Elizardo Ramirez would be an excellent closer? How about Milton?

Blue
07-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Anyone one know anything at all about that Japanese pitcher?

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 02:02 AM
No. I think we all saw in the WBC that none of them could compete in the bigs.

crazybob60
07-15-2006, 02:05 AM
I think two guys there that clearly fit Wayne's style in my opinion would be Mussina and Mulder and boy would I love getting those two. Imagine if he did do that and actually spent the money on them? Actually not afraid to spend money like they have been preaching. Can you imagine a rotation of Mussina, Mulder, Arroyo, Harang, and then the fifth spot of say Ramirez. Or possibly Bailey if he is ready, now that has me antsy!!!! Sure Mussina is a slight injury risk and getting older and with Mulder you are guaranteed at least probably 1 maybe 2 DL trips per year, but I would be very very VERY satisfied with that. Ok, maybe I should wake up from my dream now, huh?

crazybob60
07-15-2006, 02:07 AM

I don't see how it would be taking a chance with Schmidt. Really Schmidt is a top flight, notch pitcher in my book and when healthy is a top 5 SP in the league and even when not 100% is probably in the top 20. Very solid pitcher IMO.

buckeyenut
07-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Schmidt and the Japanese pitcher are the two my money would go to.

HotCorner
07-15-2006, 07:20 AM

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2005/08/mlb_deep_2006_f.html

dunner13
07-15-2006, 10:55 AM
If mulder is healthy by then he would be a great pickup. Adam Eaton would also be really nice. I would love to get schmidt right now. Trade for him and let him lead us to the division title then sign him to a 2 yr 18 million deal in the offseason.

HBP
07-15-2006, 01:07 PM
If mulder is healthy by then he would be a great pickup. Adam Eaton would also be really nice. I would love to get schmidt right now. Trade for him and let him lead us to the division title then sign him to a 2 yr 18 million deal in the offseason.

It would be great to get him, but it won't happen. The Giants are likely gong to get some pretty good offers for him. The Reds just don't have the ammo, unless Bruce and Bailey were involved, and it's just not worth it for a pitcher who could be a rental. Also, I'm guessing Schmidt will demand 3-4 years at $12-13 million.

cincyinco
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Mulder is a ground ball pitcher, but has been plauged with shoulder issues.. which I shy away from. The Japanese guy throws the mythical "gyroball" - he's very young. He'd have to be posted, so it would be costly just to even entertain the ability to offer him a contract(i.e you have to "bid" millions for the right to negotiate with him.. see ichiro). Zito is an option, but he's got a west coast bias i believe. The Moose stays in NY I bet. Eaton is another injury waiting to happen.. the guy is always hurt.

Marquis is a solid pitcher, nothing special, but he's average. Thats something I wouldn't dismiss, as we need average and above pitchers on this squad. Lilly would also be intriguing in that respect.

Oxilon
07-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I know Mulder, Zito, and Schmidt are the sexy targets, but all of them would command mucho dinero. Instead, we could probably get Adam Eaton for a pretty cheap contract. He's missed all of this season with an injury, but he had a pretty decent 2005 season. He's a ground ball pitcher, and while he's not exactly a strikeout pitcher, he doesn't allow many walks too.

Get him for a relatively cheap contract, and he could be a good bang for your buck. Add him to a rotation with Arroyo and Harang, our pitching staff becomes even more respectable.

marcshoe
07-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't think Zito is a #1 starter. He doesn't have good K numbers and his ERA the last few years has been in the very high 3 range. While Schmidt has been injury prone, when he is healthy he has overpowering stuff. I would offer JS 13 mill a year for 3 years at the most. Zito IMO should get a contract that owes a little more money than Milton got, even though I know someone will brake the bank on him.

Didn't I hear the other day that Zito had fired his agent and hired Sata...I mean, Boras?

If so, it sounds as if he's going for the gold.

jmcclain19
07-16-2006, 05:46 AM
Zito is a year younger than Burnett, and has a Cy Young collecting dust on his mantle.

I'd say for him and Boras Burnett's contract will be a starting point in negotiations this winter.

What actually worries me a little about this coming off season is the real possibility of a big jump in baseball salary "inflation".

Peter McGowan came out today and hinted that Barry Bonds days as a Giant are over. He's got a huge stadium to pay for - and a history of overpaying for medicore pitching. Who's to say that San Fran won't come up guns ablazin' with the free'd up Bonds money ($22+ Mil) and overspend on a few of those guys. Supposedly the Blue Jays still have money to burn. If they get a taste of a wild card hunt they could easily throw more money at a Zito type, especially after having pitching issues this year. The Dodgers were big players last year, and will have Eric Gagne's money to spend, even after paying someone else to take Odalis Perez's last contract year. Clemens won't be back with the Astros and Petitte's deal is up so, so that's another $30+ mil in the pot that could be spent on pitching. The Cubs will want to spend big after this season's disaster. And what will George Steinbrenner do when the Yanks crash out again?

I know everyone is doing the simple math of X(Reds 2006 salary load) - Y(Albatrosses shed for 2007) = Z($ for free agents) with the obvious result of Z being => Big time free agents.

But the very real possibility exists for a perfect storm for yet another massive salary jump in 2007. After several years of flat-lining thanks to the A-Rod/Kevin Brown/Darren Dreifort knee jerk, Major League Baseball is on an upturn again, and upturn's pose bad news for mid level clubs fighting for free agents like the Reds.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but Reds fans shouldn't get their hopes too high about big time signings.

Jpup
07-16-2006, 09:59 AM
David Dellucci.