PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Of The Caribbean 2

dman
07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
OK, it's been a week since it's release, so I know plenty of us have seen it. My thoughts: Disappointed sums it up most. I was really bummed that Jack Sparrow's humor that was so evident in the first movie didn't seem to be in this one. This movie seemed to have a far more and at times too serious of a plot, after what we saw in the first. I really didn't like Elizabeth's character in this one, and most of all I hated the way this one ended. After being so pumped up for this flick, I was very let down by it, which is what I was afraid would happen.

Also, it seem as though Jack's character took a backseat to Elizabeth and Will in this movie.

pahster
07-14-2006, 11:51 PM
It was ok. We'll be able to judge it better after the third film is released.

The three-way swordfight on the beach was priceless.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Like the Back to The Future movies I think 3 will make 2 seem better, they apparently are 1 big story unlike the first that was more stand alone

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Jack didn't say savvy near enough.

MWM
07-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Horrible movie. Just awful in almost every respect. What happened to Jack Sparrow. Was he even in this movie?

RedsBaron
07-15-2006, 06:56 AM
I was bored by it. The film was too long, and nothing much happened that I would want to remember. I was very disappointed, since I enjoyed the first Pirates film.

reds1869
07-15-2006, 08:30 AM
I seem to be one of the few around here who liked it. I think you have to take it for what it is: The first half of a really long two part movie. I liked The Black Pearl better but enjoyed this one as well. And for those that think it's too long: you're baseball fans, for Pete's sake! :)

Edit: Critics seem to be split down the middle on this as well. I think it's all in what you were looking for. If you were looking for originality, duh, it's a sequel. If you were looking for more of the same, I'm glad you didn't quite get it. You can pop in the DVD of #1 for that. I'm a bad judge though, as I enjoy most every movie I see, even technically bad ones.

Rob Dicken
07-15-2006, 08:55 AM
I seem to be one of the few around here who liked it. I think you have to take it for what it is: The first half of a really long two part movie. I liked The Black Pearl better but enjoyed this one as well. And for those that think it's too long: you're baseball fans, for Pete's sake! :)

Edit: Critics seem to be split down the middle on this as well. I think it's all in what you were looking for. If you were looking for originality, duh, it's a sequel. If you were looking for more of the same, I'm glad you didn't quite get it. You can pop in the DVD of #1 for that. I'm a bad judge though, as I enjoy most every movie I see, even technically bad ones.

Yeah, I thought it was a great movie. The special effects were great, a more serious plot which didn't bother me really at all (getting too humorous on action shows can become quite annoying), and the ending leaves room for more on the next movie.

Not as good as Superman's new movie, but I gotta give Johnny Depp props, it was still REALLY good.

dman
07-15-2006, 04:10 PM
but I gotta give Johnny Depp props, it was still REALLY good.
I have no problem giving Depp his props, but they gave him such a limited role compared to the Black Pearl

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Would seem he's going to be the main player in the 3rd movie

I want that dumb monkey dropped into the abyss though

macro
07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
I went to this movie just because we were looking for something to do. I didn't really want to see it, didn't see the first one, and never cared much about pirates.

I absolutely loved the movie, cannot wait to see the first one, and have been gobbling up the History Channel's documentaries on pirates all week, and plan to do more reading about them on the Web in the coming days.

dieselman44
07-15-2006, 11:30 PM
great action, long movie, solves nothing. the only problem i had was it was hard to understand what that black chick was saying.

Highlifeman21
07-15-2006, 11:37 PM
The 2nd installment sets up perfectly Pirates version 3.0.

In 1, they introduced Bootstrap and D. Jones.

In 2, they ran with that intro.

2 seemed to be very predictable to me, unfortunately. I was waiting for Barbosa to return the entire movie, and finally at the end he did. It was predictable at the very beginning of this movie that Norrington would have a prominent role in 2 and the later to be released 3.0.

I actually thought 2 went way too far out of its way to try to be funny. I thought this about Jack, Will and Elizabeth. Hell, even Norrington got a comedic role at times in this.

On its own, 2 I didn't think was all that great, but obviously sets up well for 3.0. Compared to 1, I pick 1 everyday of the week, and maybe watch 2 on a leap year, but all in all, it wasn't horrible, but rather entertaining.

wojo1025
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
http://askaninja.com/node/1175

Pretty accurate movie review

bucksfan
07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought it was a good movie, but not as good as the 1st one. Jack did seem to be "missing" somewhat.

It was a bit long for me, as I can tend to go to sleep in movie theaters anyway! ;)

Still, a good movie by my standards (whatever they are).

StillFunkyB
07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Jack didn't say savvy near enough.

Substitued with Beastie! ;)

I enjoyed the film. I actually like the bit with the monkey, especially when Capt. Jack says "Where is that monkey, I want to shoot something".