traderumor
07-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Mike Maddux = Don Gullett Part Deaux?

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Nah..Maddux didn't have that good a career

Jpup
07-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Hoffman blew a save to the Braves a second ago. Andruw Jones got a hit from almost on his knees.

It was a good pitch, Jones is just a great hitter.

Phhhl
07-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Turnbow is on borrowed time as closer. If he had any idea where it was going at all, he would be unhittable. But, I don't think he'll ever have command and there is nowhere to go but down when you throw 99mph.

Getting Sheets and Ohka back could really make Milwaukee tough. I would say that team is a year away from being scary, but when the division leader has as many holes as St. Louis all bets are off. The Brewers could easily be the big pink elephant nobody wants to talk about sitting in the middle of October.

Jpup
07-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Hell of a game going in San Diego. Sosa blew the lead for the Braves and now it's tied 11-11, bottom 9, 2 outs. It's on TBS, btw.

Caseyfan21
07-15-2006, 01:50 AM
I was at the Brewers/D-Backs game tonight. I got some free tickets from a co-worker this morning so a friend and I decided to check it out. This was my 3rd D-Backs game and I've been meaning to put up some pictures of the park, just haven't had a ton of time or a good internet connection.

Turnbow, wow... Gonzalez hit that double off the right field wall that for all intents and purposes could have been a homer if it had enough height. Then, next pitch, gone. After the double I turned to an older D-Backs fan near me and said, "Man, I can just see Estrada cranking one out for the game winner."

First pitch, ballgame over. It was a very exciting atmosphere. My friend (Cubs fan) and I were both going nuts slapping high fives with fans around us. I've now seen a 13 inning game, a game the Mariners scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th to win by 1, and this game. Not a bad group of games thus far for me in Phoenix.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Turnbow is on borrowed time as closer. If he had any idea where it was going at all, he would be unhittable. But, I don't think he'll ever have command and there is nowhere to go but down when you throw 99mph.

Getting Sheets and Ohka back could really make Milwaukee tough. I would say that team is a year away from being scary, but when the division leader has as many holes as St. Louis all bets are off. The Brewers could easily be the big pink elephant nobody wants to talk about sitting in the middle of October.

I called the Turnbow explosion before a single pitch was thrown this season.

In a word, the guy got totally lucky last season. Flukesville.

traderumor
07-15-2006, 08:35 AM

In a word, the guy got totally lucky last season. Flukesville.Yup. Now he just looks like Joe Valentine or Alan Simpson.

Ltlabner
07-15-2006, 08:51 AM

That's ok...bullpen help grows on trees and can be had for cast-aways and garbage.... ;)

redsfan30
07-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Turnbow is turning quickly into reason enough to leave Homer Bailey right where he is. If all you have is a fastball, you're going to get hit....hard.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I have no idea why the Brewers are standing on ceremony by allowing Turnbow to handle one-run situations; Capellan should be throwing the innings in a pinch. Turnbow should be mopping up for a while.

NJReds
07-15-2006, 09:44 AM

In a word, the guy got totally lucky last season. Flukesville.

Danny Kolb revisited.

NJReds
07-15-2006, 09:45 AM

Yeah, but you say everyone is going to stink. You're bound to be right some of the time...:evil:

PuffyPig
07-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah, but you say everyone is going to stink. You're bound to be right some of the time...:evil:
That's unfair, becuase FCB has indicated that a number of players will do real well, as follows:

Jeff Francis (the world's best starter)
Cappelan and Shouse (the 2 best relievers in the Central)
Anyone on the Astros, especially Buchholz
Most anyone on the Cards

I think that's it.:laugh:

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 10:53 AM
That's unfair, becuase FCB has indicated that a number of players will do real well, as follows:

Most anyone on the Cards

Well, I disagree about the Cards.

But how far off base am I vis. the strength of that collective above? I'd give my eye-teeth for all those guys. We'd tiptoe to the Central championship with them on board.

PuffyPig
07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I disagree about the Cards.

But how far off base am I vis. the strength of that collective above? I'd give my eye-teeth for all those guys. We'd tiptoe to the Central championship with them on board.

Yes if we added Francis, Cappelan, Shouse, Clemens, Oswalt, Buchholz, Lidge, Qualls, Wheeler, Berkman, Ensberg, Huff, Biggio, et. al., it would make thinks easier.

Big Klu
07-15-2006, 12:30 PM

Most anyone on the Cards

I was at the game Thursday night, but maybe I don't remember things right....Wasn't Jeff Francis the guy who got outdueled by ERIC MILTON?! :eek: :p:

flyer85
07-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Turnbow is turning quickly into reason enough to leave Homer Bailey right where he is. If all you have is a fastball, you're going to get hit....hard.what it shows is that if you have no command of your fastball, your are going to get hit hard. Belt high pitches down the middle are pretty easy for major leaguers to hit.

WebScorpion
07-17-2006, 09:39 PM
what it shows is that if you have no command of your fastball, your are going to get hit hard. Belt high pitches down the middle are pretty easy for major leaguers to hit.

Even with command, if all you've got is a fastball Major League hitters will prove to you that every action has an equal and opposite reaction...in other words 98 mph fastballs make nice 110 mph home runs. I think that's a lesson Homer hasn't learned yet. He also needs to learn that eventually all pitchers lose velocity...they have until that time to learn how to 'pitch'.
Turnbow has now lost confidence in his own stuff, (like Coffey did,) you can tell by the way he's so tentative out there. He's constantly trying to work the corners and missing most of the time...he has quit going after hitters. He's nibbling and he doesn't have the command to be a nibbler. He needs out of that spot to save what's left of his confidence. It looks like Krivsky and Narron got COffey out before his head was overly damaged, so we're lucky.

Nugget
07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I was at the game Thursday night, but maybe I don't remember things right....Wasn't Jeff Francis the guy who got outdueled by ERIC MILTON?! :eek: :p:

On the same law of averages that FCB will be right sometime, Milton will outduel a pitcher sometime too;)