PDA

View Full Version : What About Joe Mays?

bunter
07-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Now that Krivsky has moved to updgrade the bullpen in trying to win this year, he now needs to address the issue of a fifth starter? I don't see how he can say on one hand that they traded away two everyday players to get the help they needed to win this year and then send Joe Mays out to pitch again. I just hope Joe Mays isn't Krivsky's Anderson Machado.

goreds2
07-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I can't see Mr. Mays starting anytime soon. (fingers crossed):pray:

bunter
07-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I can't see Mr. Mays starting anytime soon. (fingers crossed):pray:
I hope you're right, they have a day off Monday and will probably skip him and throw Milton again on Tuesday, but by next weekend they'll need a fifth starter. I know that Claussen is eligible to come off the DL but I'm not sure how close he is - not that I'm relying on him for anything either.

goreds2
07-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I hope you're right, they have a day off Monday and will probably skip him and throw Milton again on Tuesday, but by next weekend they'll need a fifth starter. I know that Claussen is eligible to come off the DL but I'm not sure how close he is - not that I'm relying on him for anything either.

Since we now have a DEEPER bullpen, we can afford a 5th starter to go only 5 or so innings. I don't think Mays can do this. Hopefully, Claussen can at least do this.

MaineRed
07-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I think Kriv has shown he will do what he can to upgrade the club.

And Reds fans have shown they will complain about those moves. Even when they continue to work. Hatty, Ross, Phillips and Arroyo. 4-4 with two homers, a triple and a double and the next time he come up people are expecting a 3 pitch strikeout.

It is the same with Mays. Kriv is not throwing Mays out there because he wants to lose or because he is delusional. He knew the guy, knew he had success in the past and figured since we don't have a lot of assets to acquire an upgrade, he was worth a shot.

Look at what has happened to others who have not performed, especially pitchers. Based on that, why be all paranoid about Mays? I won't say he will never pitch again for the Reds but it should be quite obvious the leash is EXTREMELY short at this point. I know, I know, the leash was used up a long time ago. But where are the otehr options?

The Reds have Wilson and Clausen and what else? Is there anyone in AAA who could come up? I wouldn't expect any sort of trade as it would take Dunn to get what we really need. Unless we want someone like Ponson. And look who just signed him. Every team has 5th starter trouble. Well most teams anyway. Of course we should be trying to get it fixed. But it just is not that easy. The Cards cut a guy and the Yankees. THE YANKEES sign him. That should tell you something.

I hope the day comes when we don't have to have retreads trotting out to the mound once (or more) every five days but until Kriv has a chance to build up the farm system and develop some of his own pitchers, I can't blame him for our 5th starter woes. The Reds had Joe Mays (Jimmy Haynes) as their ace not too long ago. And our current GM did wonders with that Arroyo trade so now we only have serious worries once every five days instead of twice every five days.

We're in win now mode but patience is still required. The Reds now have two just below ace types. Milton has turned it around. The Reds found the Lizard this season. We're about 50% better off this year than we were last in terms of starters and yet we still have a joke like Joe Mays in our rotation at this point.

Besides, I think Kriv wants another Arroyo, not just a minor upgrade over Mays. Mitlon or El Lizard as the fifth starter. That should be the real goal.