PDA

View Full Version : Does Kearns/Lopez trade = dollars for FA's?

reds77
07-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Obviously Kearns and Lopez aren't going to bring in record contracts; however, I do believe both were in line for significantly larger deals, no? Thus, does the Reds freeing up their potential 2007 salaries and beyond allow the organization to sign some big name free agents at season's end? If yes, who are some potential targets for the Reds?

bellhead
07-15-2006, 11:52 AM
definately, it gives Wayne more room in the offseason. Kearnsy and Lopez if I'm correct would have made more next year. The new regime has made it clear pitching is the number one priority. The goals of the new regime this year are to inspire fan interest enough to get the fans interested again. Then in the offseason strengthen the pitching enough to make a serious run at the playoffs. Also Deno at AAA had paid his dues and should fill in nicely for Kearns. The SS trade of Lopez leaves me stratching my head unless his errors wore out his welcome here.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Absolutely.

EKURed
07-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I think it comes down to that Krivsky and ownership did not believe that Kearns and Lopez were $5 million ball players, which both will at least be next year. They will both get BIG raises next year through arbitration. Can't argue with them on that point...

ChatterRed
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
They both looked good last night in their debuts.

NOT.

Big Klu
07-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I think the Reds might be active in this offseason's free-agent market. It will be expensive to land a good (#1 or #2 quality) starting pitcher on the open market, but Bob Castellini seems to be willing to spend money. I would not be surprised if the Reds sign someone pretty decent this winter.

Handofdeath
07-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Maybe it's just me but I feel like when the Reds traded Kearns it was like they traded Juan Encarnacion. Maybe Kearns numbers are a little better but there is really not that much of a difference. Good solid numbers and a team would be lucky to have them but still nothing spectacular.

ChatterRed
07-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Denorfia has alot of energy. He is fast and made a bullet of a throw to the shortstop from right field last night that held a runner from advancing. It was a frozen rope throw. I was impressed with his effort last night.

terminator
07-15-2006, 04:08 PM
I think that's a huge part of it. They should save about $10MM next year paying Phillips (or someone else) and Denorfia instead of Lopez and Kearns.

So, in 6 months when this becomes Kearns and Lopez for two decent middle relievers PLUS Zito, Mulder or Schmidt, the deal will look downright brilliant.

redsfaninAK
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Hopefully the FO will use this extra money and sign a pitcher we already have in the fold in Aaron Harang to a long term deal.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
They both looked good last night in their debuts.

NOT.
Guys we got back didn't look so hot either ;)

Handofdeath
07-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I think that's a huge part of it. They should save about $10MM next year paying Phillips (or someone else) and Denorfia instead of Lopez and Kearns.

So, in 6 months when this becomes Kearns and Lopez for two decent middle relievers PLUS Zito, Mulder or Schmidt, the deal will look downright brilliant.

Exactly. People are upset because the Reds traded a barely above average outfielder who it turns out has been a clubhouse distraction and a one season offensive wonder at shortstop who can't field and got two very good relievers to shore up the league's worst relief pitching staff. One of those may be the Reds future closer. That's not even counting the others they got in the trade. The money will be there for another pitcher next year. Imagine this. Aaron Harang, who is having a great season, could be the Reds #3 starter next year. I'm excited by that.

joshnky
07-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Obviously Kearns and Lopez aren't going to bring in record contracts; however, I do believe both were in line for significantly larger deals, no? Thus, does the Reds freeing up their potential 2007 salaries and beyond allow the organization to sign some big name free agents at season's end? If yes, who are some potential targets for the Reds?

The flaw in this reasoning is the assumption that the Reds will operate with an increased payroll next year. Next year our payroll was due to shoot up due to Kearns and Lopez (I'm sure there are others players arb. eligible as well) so this deal doesn't really free up money so much as prevent a dramatic payroll increase.

In past regimes this would stirctly be a salary dump but Castellini has given different impressions. Hopefully, he'll increase payroll by the 10-15 mill we need to shore up the pitching.

Matt700wlw
07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
definately, it gives Wayne more room in the offseason. Kearnsy and Lopez if I'm correct would have made more next year. The new regime has made it clear pitching is the number one priority. The goals of the new regime this year are to inspire fan interest enough to get the fans interested again. Then in the offseason strengthen the pitching enough to make a serious run at the playoffs.

It's nice, isn't it? :)

Matt700wlw
07-15-2006, 07:02 PM
The flaw in this reasoning is the assumption that the Reds will operate with an increased payroll next year. Next year our payroll was due to shoot up due to Kearns and Lopez (I'm sure there are others players arb. eligible as well) so this deal doesn't really free up money so much as prevent a dramatic payroll increase.

In past regimes this would stirctly be a salary dump but Castellini has given different impressions. Hopefully, he'll increase payroll by the 10-15 mill we need to shore up the pitching.

I think Castellini will do whatever it takes.

lollipopcurve
07-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I think $ in 07 and 08 are a huge part of the equation. Harang must be signed, and I think it is fairly likely they'll add another solid starter before the beginning of 07. In order for those things to happen, they need $ and they need to be able to show off a decent bullpen. It would be very difficult to entice commitments from SPs with a horrible pen.

This trade is the steering wheel jerking the ship around. People are disoriented, seasick. The direction the team is headed in is not as evident now as it will be in 8-9 months, but I have a feeling people will feel a whole lot better in the spring of 07.

MaineRed
07-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I think having a guy to step in for Austin went a long way in making this deal. Denorfia got to a ball late in the game last night that Austin doesn't even come close to getting. This will allow Griffey to play a step or two more to Dunn's side which makes that side better (more range) as well. This trade really helps the defense. And Denorfia is expected to hit and reek havoc on the bases as well. Plus he will come a lot cheaper.

The same things can be said about Freel when he plays D. He covers a lot more ground than Kearns and he can fly when he gets on base. Plus he is no slouch with the bat. Its not like the replacements for Kearns only play D. These aren't two Juan Castro's. They just don't hit for power.

I would expect the money saved would go back into the club in the near future. Locking Harrang up would be a good place to use it.