PDA

View Full Version : Reds Tried to Get Linebrink

dunner13
07-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Rotoworld.com says that the reds offered kearns for Scott linebrink of the padres and the padres said no. Makes you think that maybe kearns and lopez didnt have as much value as we thought.

jimbo
07-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I think it's a combination of exactly what you are saying along with the current status of the market for above average relievers.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Nice target, Wayne.

He's been on my radar for a while, too.

Brian
07-15-2006, 12:35 PM
If true, this further justifies the trade for a team that's trying to win this year. I've not made a ton of posts here, but all of the ones in regards to this trade have been reminding the trade haters that you have to consider the market, not just the players involved.

Spitball
07-15-2006, 01:19 PM
The market has changed. Middle relievers are no longer failed number five starters but important components to winning teams. I think it is fair to say that quality pitchers that are capable of controlling the middle innings are more difficult to develop than corner outfielders.

pedro
07-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Nice target, Wayne.

He's been on my radar for a while, too.

he's on my fantasy team.

good pitcher.

EKURed
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I definitely think this was a trade made to win THIS year. But, it also gives the Reds ALOT of payroll flexibility if they are line to make another deal right at the deadline or if they are looking to add one or two free agents in the offseason.

ChatterRed
07-15-2006, 02:09 PM
It just goes to show that the possibly the only GM duped into trading for Kearns was BOWDEN, THE BOY WONDER.

What a tool.

Royals Fan
07-15-2006, 02:50 PM
if this rumor was true this shows how high the price Relief pitching is and possibile closers 2. The San Diego Union reports an rumor that was rejected was Scot Linerbrink for Austin Kearns, the Padres say no deal. Makes you wonder if Wayne did the best he could in this trade market.

ochre
07-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Yep, and with gas prices where they are I'm not rushing out to buy and original Hummer.

Royals Fan
07-15-2006, 03:07 PM
this show me if you got good and solid pitching- u dont trade it away unless you get everything u asked for in any deal and then you still might not do it cause pitching and along with Defensive get you in the playoffs every year besides hitting can be found anywhere and pitching cant be.

ochre
07-15-2006, 03:10 PM
If hitting could be found everywhere the Astros would have won the central last year wire-to-wire.

there is more demand for pitching in this offense heavy generation, but let's not pretend that every offensive player is from Lake Woe-be-gone.

Hubba
07-15-2006, 03:25 PM
How was he duped?
It just goes to show that the possibly the only GM duped into trading for Kearns was BOWDEN, THE BOY WONDER.

What a tool.

Eric_Davis
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Rotoworld.com says that the reds offered kearns for Scott linebrink of the padres and the padres said no. Makes you think that maybe kearns and lopez didnt have as much value as we thought.

If you watched last night's 15-12 Braves/Padres game, you know why they didn't trade away a pitcher for a hitter.

Linebrink's been outstanding the last three years for the Padres.

Reds Nd2
07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
he's on my fantasy team.

good pitcher.

What are the categories? I had him, but he didn't seem to be much help since he wasn't a closer.

pedro
07-15-2006, 05:30 PM
What are the categories? I had him, but he didn't seem to be much help since he wasn't a closer.

IP, HR, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

Falls City Beer
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
What's strange is that of all the teams out there who could afford to give up a Linebrink for a Kearns, it's the Padres. They absolutely have to have more offense. Good crap their offense is bad. Oh well, if they don't make the postseason, they've got no one to blame but themselves. :devil:

Redsland
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Rotoworld.com says that the reds offered kearns for Scott linebrink of the padres and the padres said no.
I used to think that if Kearns could stay healthy, he could be Brian Giles.

Unfortunately, the Padres already have Brian Giles. And now he's an expensive and unproductive 35 year old. Plus, Kearns doesn't appear likely to reach that ceiling any time soon.

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Why would a team in the thick of a division race give up its stud setup man for an outfielder? Of course the Padres turned the deal down.

I doubt Kearns would have netted Scot Shields or Justin Duchscherer either. No one said he would have.