PDA

View Full Version : Capt'n Krivsky and Courage

Spitball
07-15-2006, 12:07 PM
It takes courage to take a chance. It especially takes courage if you take a chance in full public view and with the knowledge that your job and reputation will be seriously affected by its outcome. Krivsky showed great courage to pull off this trade.

We haven't seen this kind of courage since Bob Howsam traded two popular starters to division rival Houston for an undersized second baseman with the reputation of being a clubhouse lawyer, a journeyman third baseman, and three others who had yet to prove they were truly major leaguers. Most Reds fans felt Howsam received a very poor return for an elite power hitter (3 years average of 37 homeruns) and the reigning two time Gold Glove winning second baseman. It looked very much like (cough) Denis Menke would in effect replace Lee May in the line-up and the erratic Morgan would replace the reliable Helms in the line-up and at second base. The other guys appeared to be extra types who might help the team in minor ways.

Everyone knows the rest of the story, but the point is, it took courage. It took a great deal of courage in fact for Howsam to address the needs of a good team and act on those needs. It took courage because he knew that fan reaction would be negative to the trading of two popular starters. It took courage and it paid off because he improved the entire fiber of a good team and created a great team.

I'm not saying this trade was up there with the "Morgan trade", but Krivsky showed the same kind of courage that Howsam showed. There might be a fine line between courage and foolishness, but I like Krivsky's swashbuckling style.

BrooklynRedz
07-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Good post. After the initial shock and confusion of the trade wore off, I couldn't believe how excited I was. And still am. Our GM has a plan and I trust fully in that plan. It's been a very long time since I've felt that way about Reds management.

However, I'm confident the next move Krivsky makes will take even more courage. The only way I can really see this trade failing is if he doesn't follow it up with a move for reliable starter. And that's the move that will hurt a bit...certainly more than Kearns and Lopez.

RFS62
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Great post, Spitball.

:beerme:

Phil in BG
07-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Good post Spitball.... as usual. Krivsky had to know this would be unpopular with the fans. He had the guts to make the move regardless. I trust his knowledge of the team and of baseball. Let's hope it works out as planned.

RedsManRick
07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
There was a line Krivsky said which is appopro here. He said something like "you can't just sit around and wait for a better deal to come around. This was a deal we felt comfortable with, so we did it."

As the linebrink post shows, this wasn't the only deal Krivksy tried to make. Odds are, it wasn't close to his first choice. However, even if we only got 70 cents on the dollar in value, that 70 cents helps us where the dollar couldn't. At some point, you have to address your needs. O'Brien was so busy waiting for the perfect thing, that he wasted 2 years doing nothing.

While I would have loved to have seen a better, more impactful return, I would rather see us fail due to the wrong deals being made, rather than no deals being made at all. When you try, at least you have a chance. When you sit on your hands and wait for the perfect deal, you just get a sore ass.