PDA

View Full Version : When Dinosaurs Attack....

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Okay, so I'm watching the Fox game here: at my BIL's house--Cards v. Dodgers, and all the Dodger hitters do is hack, hack, hack. Doesn't matter if it's strike one, ball four, ball nine, doesn't matter. So far they've only put up one run against, frankly, a joke of a pitcher who doesn't have particularly good control today in Jeff Suppan. I realize they're like a game over .500, but that offense is pathetic--or at least what I'm seeing today.

Any theories?

PickOff
07-15-2006, 03:03 PM
They have the highest OBP in the NL and the second most runs scored.

Bad day?

Tornon
07-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Okay, so I'm watching the Fox game here: at my BIL's house--Cards v. Dodgers, and all the Dodger hitters do is hack, hack, hack. Doesn't matter if it's strike one, ball four, ball nine, doesn't matter. So far they've only put up one run against, frankly, a joke of a pitcher who doesn't have particularly good control today in Jeff Suppan. I realize they're like a game over .500, but that offense is pathetic--or at least what I'm seeing today.

Any theories?

If the worst pitcher in baseball can do it, it's possible Suppan can do it too

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Thought this was a Deno thread

;)

Big Klu
07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Thought this was a Deno thread

;)

No, that would be "When Denosaurs Attack". A Denosaur is kind of like Godzilla's bigger, tougher brother.

Here we see a Denosaur opening a can of whoop-ass on an electrical storm.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/FW_Godzilla_badass.jpg/320px-FW_Godzilla_badass.jpg

reds44
07-15-2006, 03:57 PM
They have the highest OBP in the NL and the second most runs scored.

Bad day?
Bad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLRfUZvR4Q&search=%20Pirates%20bad%20day) Day? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR_ylBt3zm8&search=%20Pirates%20bad%20day)

RedsMan3203
07-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Current Half Inning (last play on top)
Pujols intentionally walked.
Taguchi struck out swinging.

Did they finally learn from the other night?

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
It probably doesn't help that I'm only half watching the game.

And drunk as hell.

reds44
07-15-2006, 04:04 PM
It probably doesn't help that I'm only half watching the game.

And drunk as hell.
FCB it is only 4.

:eek:

RedsMan3203
07-15-2006, 04:05 PM
FCB it is only 4.

He misses Kearns. :D

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 04:06 PM
FCB it is only 4.

We're B-B-Qing.

But it's not like we have to drink after every Dodger swing-and-miss or anything.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:07 PM
But it's not like we have to drink after every Dodger swing-and-miss or anything.
That would be death ;)

Doc. Scott
07-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Did I just see Jonathan Broxton intentionally walk Albert Pujols with nobody on base and one out?

The word for that isn't suitable for a family board.

TheBigLebowski
07-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Chris Denorfia is so on fire that he has to pour McDonalds coffee on his lap to cool off.

reds44
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Chris Denorfia is so on fire that he has to pour McDonalds coffee on his lap to cool off.
Where the heck did that come from?

WVRedsFan
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
The Deno Line since returning to the big club:

AB - 9
R - 0
H - 2
RBI- 0
BB - 0
K - 2
LOB- 2
AVG- .222
OBP- .222

Let's hope he heats it up a bit and that's not from pouring hot coffee in his lap!

As a leadoff hitter, he stinks.

reds44
07-15-2006, 04:47 PM

AB - 9
R - 0
H - 2
RBI- 0
BB - 0
K - 2
LOB- 2
AVG- .222
OBP- .222

Let's hope he heats it up a bit and that's not from pouring hot coffee in his lap!

Wow.

He is a rookie, and he has only played in 2 games. Don't you think you should give him so more time before you say he 'stinks' as a leadoff hitter.

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Chris Denorfia once won $2 million in a blackjack game after showing 20, taking another card and receiving an ace. Shocked observers marveled that, no matter what the situation, all Chris Denorfia does is hit.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Where the heck did that come from?
Deno decides what threads he gets mentioned in

WVRedsFan
07-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow.

He is a rookie, and he has only played in 2 games. Don't you think you should give him so more time before you say he 'stinks' as a leadoff hitter.

Sure. Small sample size is sometimes misleading, but from the talk on this site about him for so long, I was expecting Superman and not Clark Kent. And for the two games he's played recently, the description fits.

No one wants him to be successful any more than me. Heck, I want Rich Aurilia and Royce Clayton, Juan Castro, everybody to be successful in a Reds uniform. Placing your hopes on a 26-year-old rookie and comparing him to some of the icons of baseball is a little much, don't you think?

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Did I just see Jonathan Broxton intentionally walk Albert Pujols with nobody on base and one out?

The word for that isn't suitable for a family board.

Honestly, why would you pitch to him? If I were an opposing manager, I'd find that Barry Bonds chart that someone had a while back and just use that whenever I faced Pujols. He's that dangerous of a hitter.

TheBigLebowski
07-15-2006, 07:08 PM
A Chris Denorfia fastball to the head is the preferred method of execution in 18 states.

REDREAD
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM

I know the guy is loved here, but I see him as a below average OF. He will improve from an OBP of .222 (obviously), but I think people just assume he'll walk right in and we'll see no dropoff from Kearns. They are mistaken.

smith288
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Yea, we all will be laughing about the days of yore when hopes were placed upon a 26 yr old rookie who is marginally better than Brady Clark.

Seriously, I never saw the reason for such manlove that I have seen about that guy here.

Ltlabner
07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
It's the same man love being heaped on Bailey also ;)

Besides, I'm not worried about the Dinosaurs attacking....Deno caused the extinction of the Dinosaurs in the first place.

Big Klu
07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I know the guy is loved here, but I see him as a below average OF. He will improve from an OBP of .222 (obviously), but I think people just assume he'll walk right in and we'll see no dropoff from Kearns. They are mistaken.

I'm not disagreeing with you (I think that Denorfia probably projects to be a fourth outfielder), but where did you get an OBP of .222? According to ESPN.com, Denorfia is hitting .318, with an OBP of .348.

realreds1
07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Denorfia told Nuxhall after the game Saturday night that he's never hit lead-off before. Said it was an adjustment he'd have to make.

Question: you have a rookie outfielder who's been recalled from AAA during a pennant race. Said rookie outfielder already has enormous pressure heaped upon him due to the trade and, well, he's in the major leagues and expected to produce. So, why bat him lead-off... especially if he's not used to batting lead-off?