PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum

Ltlabner
07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
My father and I toured the Reds HOF yesterday before the game. If you haven't been to it, it's worth the $5 extra (with game day ticket). They have tons of memrobelia and interactive displays that are pretty cool. It's well laid out, tastefully displayed and a great historical record of the team.

The absoulte highlight was that a bevy of HOF's were there for a meet and greet. No autographs but photos were encouraged. Unfortunatley we didn't have a camera and felt stupid.

Anyway, I met a host of players: Lee May, Browning, Gary Nolen (a favorite), Billingham, Cardenes, Perez, Griffey Sr. Conception, Nuxie (another thrill), Malone, and 4 or 5 others I can't think of right now. Shook hands, had a breif exchange and pleasantries. It was awesome! The only bummer was that Seaver, Bench and Foster weren't able to be there.

What struck me was that all the players had huge hands. Also, they were all very polite and friendly (except one) but just oozed confidence and security. Each looked you dead in the eye. Each had a firm handshake. Each stood ramrod strait. They made an impression just standing there shaking hands!

The absolute best part was seeing my father, who is 64, act like a kid in a candy store. His eyes twinkled as he told me about the few players I didn't know about. He just rattled off facts and figures like I've never seem him do before. He thanked each player for the memories and mentioned some specific play or game as he addresed them. "I remember that you did such and such at Ebits field", or whatever. He shared later that he's never met a ball player personally (and he's seen a lot of the classics play as he's been going to games since the late 40's) much less so many great players.

The whole game and the drive home we kept talking about classic baseball. He told me story after story and we kept going back to what happened before the game.

We were on cloud nine the whole time and it was a memory of my Father I'll cherish. Oh yea, the thrilling 9th inning win was pretty nice too!

redsfan30
07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Couldn't agree more about the Hall of Fame. If there's a better one in MLB (outside of Cooperstown) I'd sure like to see it.

I was there yesterday as well and can echo your sentiments of all the guys being as nice as could be. I was most impressed with Jack Billingham and Ken Griffey.

It was truely something special.

SteveJRogers
07-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Sweet. I'm hoping come 2009 my team can do the same with our new ballpark...

Currently the Hall of Fame is just the busts of HOFers in a display case, adorned only by the 1969 and 1986 World Championship trophies. Essentially its just a lobby for a pair of restaurants and souviner stand on the press box level (bar right next to the press hallway) Unlabeled pictures of the HOFers also adorn the walls (stinks if you are a kid asking your parent or whomever you're with and they have no clue who the person in the photo is) as well as mock up HOF plaques for Gary Carter (in Cooperstown as an Expo) and Bob Murphy (special plaque presented on Murph's retirement night) and a special Met rescue dog that was presented, I'm guessing in honor of the organization's help with the 9/11 tragedy (Shea was a triage center after the attacks)

Its nice as conversation pieces while waiting for your seat in the Diamond Club restaurants or a meeting place before heading to the seats, but as a HOF, :barf:

SteveJRogers
07-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Here is a photo from Yahoo Sports of today's inductions

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060716/capt.268dc48fbff249338bac08cc3f709ba4.rockies_reds _baseball_ohtu101.jpg

terminator
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Ltlabner --

No one seemed to notice my Sparky/Mays picture in the Mays thread, but I thought you would like this one I took at the Hall of Fame Opening Night.

UKFlounder
07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
What time does it open on game days?

Mutaman
07-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Jack billingham was really underated. I don't have his postseason sats but I bet they were pretty good. Oakland manager Dick Williams once said that during the A's playoff and series run during the 70's, Billingham was the best pitcher they faced.

Ltlabner
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Terminator, that's a great picture!

redsfanmia
07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I have been to Cooperstown and honestley think that the Reds hall of fame is way better.

Redsland
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
No one seemed to notice my Sparky/Mays picture in the Mays thread, but I thought you would like this one I took at the Hall of Fame Opening Night.
Great, great photo. Thanks for sharing.

:beerme:

Joseph
07-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I have been to Cooperstown and honestley think that the Reds hall of fame is way better.

MLB HoF director has called ours for suggestions, so he's said.

SteveJRogers
07-16-2006, 08:41 PM

Thats does it, I WANT ONE!

Heh, but seriously from what I've been led to believe at the new Yankee Stadium up the street from the current location, they are going to bring Monument Park over and whats left of the current shell will be a muesem. Not sure about the details there, hopefully it turns out well.

No bloody clue what my Mets are planning...

Where's Fred Wilpon's phone number! ;)

Redsland
07-16-2006, 08:49 PM
As well he should. It was created by one of the best, as I said at the time. Local treasure, Jack Rouse and Associates (http://www.jackrouse.com/index.cfm). (Be sure to check out their Volkswagen Autostadt the next time you're in Wolfsburg.)

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Ltlabner --

Hey terminator...would you mind, if you can remember or just happen to know go down that line and players and tell which one is who like going from left to right? Or if anybody else can do it?

terminator
07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I think I can remember most of them:

Bench, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion, Billingham, Carroll, Soto, unsure (I want to say Wayne Granger but I really am not sure), Maloney, Cardenas, Sam Crawford, O'Toole, Sparky.

redsfanmia
07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Joseph]MLB HoF director has called ours for suggestions, so he's said.[/QUOTE?]
He/she needs to, my impression of the MLB HOF was it was way too heavy on Yankee and Red Sox exhibits. It has some very cool stuff but there are more than just 2 teams in the history of MLB.

JEA
07-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Did anyone catch this story about Bench and Seaver?

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060717/SPT05/607170337/1035/SPT

By the time John Bench came to bat on the day in question, "I was throwing pretty well," recalled Terrific. "And I throw a pitch right here and he check-swings and the umpire rings him up. John turns around and goes, 'That's not a (gol darn) swing.' Next pitch I throw right here and he checks it and the umpire calls it a strike again. John is fuming.

"I know exactly what he's doing. Next pitch," Seaver said, holding his hand out as though he were petting a horse between the ears, "I throw one way up here and he (chops at it futilely) and says, "Now that's a swing!' I could have thrown it 14 feet high and he would have swung at it."

This description doesn't even do it justice. I saw the press conference replay, and to see Seaver re-enact it had me in stitches. :laugh:

TeamBoone
07-19-2006, 11:14 PM

Ok.... I absolutely LOVE the Reds Hall of Fame, but I soooooooooo disagree with this comment that I can't even explain it.

It is not even close the HOF in Cooperstown... not even close.

savafan
12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=pp&action=show&id=35302

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts: Rob Butcher, (513) 765-7090

Greg Rhodes, (513) 765-7920

MEDIA ADVISORY

At a 9:30 a.m. press conference tomorrow (Tuesday, December 19) at the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, executive director Greg Rhodes will announce plans for a major exhibit to recognize the achievements of Pete Rose, Major League Baseballís all-time hits leader.

Rose is scheduled to attend tomorrow morningís press conference.

Details of the exhibit will be announced at the press conference.

The Reds Hall of Fame and Museum will be closed to the public tomorrow until the conclusion of the press conference.

##

Rob Butcher

Director of Media Relations

CINCINNATI REDS

Great American Ball Park

100 Main Street

Cincinnati, OH 45202-4109

rbutcher@reds.com

Voice 513-765-7090

Fax 513-765-7180

http://www.reds.com/

savafan
12-18-2006, 02:17 PM
On the surface you might think meh, but this actually sounds like kinda a big deal.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061218/SPT04/312180022

The Reds Hall of Fame and Museum will announce a Pete Rose exhibit to recognize baseballís all-time hits leader, the Reds announced today.

This would mark the Redsí first official recognition of Rose since he was banned from baseball in 1989 for gambling.

Rose is scheduled to appear at a Tuesday morning press conference at the museum.

Details of the exhibit will be announced then.

The Reds and Major League Baseball have not allowed Rose to participate in any official team events, such as the opening of Great American Ball Park, the closing of Cinergy Field or the reunion of the Big Red Machine.

The team has not retired Roseís uniform number 14.

Baseball created a new rule that barred Rose -- and any other player banned from the game -- from the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

The museum will be closed to the public Tuesday morning until the conclusion of the press conference.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 02:18 PM
This would mark the Reds’ first official recognition of Rose since he was banned from baseball in 1989 for gambling.

Other then the wall of baseballs that represent his hits at the HOF.

Redsland
12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
And the rose garden outside.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 02:49 PM
And the rose garden outside.

And the Moe Howard Haircut special every 4th Saturday beneath the stairwell.

Ltlabner
12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I would have thought MLB would have had something to say about "approving" this exibit. I figured they let the wall of baseball slide but anything more would draw their ire.

Of course, maybe it did and BCast said to jump in a lake.

Joseph
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I would have thought MLB would have had something to say about "approving" this exibit. I figured they let the wall of baseball slide but anything more would draw their ire.

Of course, maybe it did and BCast said to jump in a lake.

Or maybe the Reds Hall Of Fame isn't subject to MLB approval when doing an exhibit.

Or maybe MLB WAS asked and they said 'Sure, why not?'

Ltlabner
12-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Or maybe the Reds Hall Of Fame isn't subject to MLB approval when doing an exhibit.

Certinally other reasonable possibilities.

Falls City Beer
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
More sizzle.

savafan
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM

I would think this is the case, and why it has taken this long. Especially considering Pete will be at the press conference. Could this be the beginning of the wall keeping Pete out of baseball starting to crumble, with Bud set to retire in 2009?

westofyou
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM
More sizzle.

And thus more pee on the fire.

Falls City Beer
12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
I thought the Reds canned Rob Butcher.

savafan
12-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Not yet, but it wouldn't make me mad if they did...just sayin', I've dealt with the guy on a couple occasions...

Joseph
12-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Didn't he just win the 'Best PR Person in Baseball' award. I'm being serious in asking that, not facetious at all. not saying I like or dislike the guy, I don't know him at all.

dabvu2498
12-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Didn't he just win the 'Best PR Person in Baseball' award. I'm being serious in asking that, not facetious at all. not saying I like or dislike the guy, I don't know him at all.

Yes he did.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061204&content_id=1750428&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

savafan
12-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Yes he did.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061204&content_id=1750428&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Maybe I just got him on bad days.

TRF
12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know if this is sizzle or not. Other than Cincinnati Reds fans, honestly i don't think people care that much. Rose is still living in 1988, thinking he might have a WS contender on his hands.

But to Reds fans, those still living in the era of Pete's haircut, this is a big deal. It's recognition of one of THE faces of the Reds. These people buy tickets too ya know. Promotion, any promotion that brings the press running to talk about the Reds is good.

Maybe this move means nothing, but it's better than nothing by virtue of the fact that we are discussing it. And it will be discussed by thousands more tomorrow.

Edd Roush
12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I've met Rob and when I did, he was a tremendous individual. I met him during the beginning of the '04 season when he visited Moeller's newspaper staff, and I came away impressed. Perhaps it was because he was the first individual I met from the front office or perhaps he was just a good guy. He seems to be knowledgable and to get rid of him just to get rid of the old regime doesn't make much sense to me. He isn't very involved with the actual baseball side of things at all.

Cyclone792
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I would think this is the case, and why it has taken this long. Especially considering Pete will be at the press conference. Could this be the beginning of the wall keeping Pete out of baseball starting to crumble, with Bud set to retire in 2009?

Joe Jackson's been banned for 86 years now, and there's a vast amount of fans who believe they have enough evidence showing that Jackson wasn't guilty, was wrongly punished, and that he should be reinstated. Still, after 86 years, Joe Jackson waits. It's likely he'll continue waiting.

Pete Rose won't be any different than Joe Jackson. It'd be shocking if he's ever reinstated or elected to the Hall of Fame, and it'd be even more shocking if any of that happens during our lifetime.

Redsland
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Marc's blog confirms that the team asked for MLB's blessing on this and got it. MLB's position is that displays recognizing Pete's place in team history are okay.

Also, Pete is sick and will not be attending, contrary to reports.

WVJulz
12-18-2006, 09:01 PM
And the Moe Howard Haircut special every 4th Saturday beneath the stairwell.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :laugh: Granted, he's not sporting the look now, but he did have THE worst do in baseball at one time. Other than Reggie Smith. : )
Thanks for the visual and the chuckle!
Julz whobelievesPeteshouldbeenshrinedatCooperstown

redsfanfalcon
12-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Marc's blog confirms that the team asked for MLB's blessing on this and got it. MLB's position is that displays recognizing Pete's place in team history are okay.

Pete is sick, but he will be there at the opening in March, per a buddy of mine who works at the HOF.

macro
12-19-2006, 01:30 AM
...Rose is still living in 1988, thinking he might have a WS contender on his hands.

But to Reds fans, those still living in the era of Pete's haircut, this is a big deal. ...

http://www.evergreendaze.com/discreetimages/uncle_rico.jpg

EDIT: By the way, for those unfamiliar with Napoleon Dynamite's uncle Rico, I don't mean to say that his hair resembles Pete's. Uncle Rico was stuck in 1982, so reading TRF's post reminded me of him.

:)

Chip R
12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Pete is sick, but he will be there at the opening in March, per a buddy of mine who works at the HOF.

If they pay him enough. ;)

tsj017
12-19-2006, 03:08 PM
A Pete Rose exhibit at the Reds HOF? It's a sure-fire way to lure fans down to the ballpark . . . without actually having to, you know, improve the team.

It's the Power of Tradition!

Team Clark
12-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I've met Rob and when I did, he was a tremendous individual. I met him during the beginning of the '04 season when he visited Moeller's newspaper staff, and I came away impressed. Perhaps it was because he was the first individual I met from the front office or perhaps he was just a good guy. He seems to be knowledgable and to get rid of him just to get rid of the old regime doesn't make much sense to me. He isn't very involved with the actual baseball side of things at all.

Rob can be very charming. :evil: In all honesty, this is the first positive thing I have ever heard about Rob. At least now I can not say that "I've never heard one good thing about Rob Butcher". Maybe he is changing his ways... I hope so.

Handofdeath
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM

He must have a horse running that day at River Downs Race Track. :devil:

gonelong
12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Rob can be very charming. :evil: In all honesty, this is the first positive thing I have ever heard about Rob. At least now I can not say that "I've never heard one good thing about Rob Butcher". Maybe he is changing his ways... I hope so.

You are grinding that axe down to the handle. :laugh:

I don't know Rob Butcher from Adam. He may be a great man, he may be a complete buttwipe.

Rob Butcher, Director of Media Relations for the Cincinnati Reds, has been named the 2006 winner of the Robert O. Fishel Award for Public Relations Excellence.

Butcher has worked for Major League Baseball at each of the last nine All-Star Games and World Series. In March 2006, he served as the press officer for Team USA at the inaugural World Baseball Classic.

Somebody obviously likes the guy well enough.

GL

Team Clark
12-19-2006, 10:18 PM
You are grinding that axe down to the handle. :laugh:

I don't know Rob Butcher from Adam. He may be a great man, he may be a complete buttwipe.

Somebody obviously likes the guy well enough.

GL

Handle? Haaandle? The "handle" was ground into bits two years ago. :laugh: :laugh: I was working on remnant neutrons.

In all seriousness I am happy for him. Maybe all the spankings he received in the last few years has led him to a better path. I'm not even kidding. I hope he has turned the corner. If he has he could live up to his award. :thumbup:

TeamBoone
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Nice article from a travel site:

5/11/2007
Reds hit a home run with Hall of Fame museum

It's been a while since the Cincinnati Reds set the baseball world afire -- the team's last National League pennant came in 1990. Yet the team's Hall of Fame museum is unmatched and is a top-notch tourist attraction. Cincinnati also has an unmatched history as far as the entire spectrum of baseball is concerned: The Cincinnati Red Stockings emerged as baseball's first team of professional ballplayers in 1869. The team's record that year was 57-0, obviously a mark no other team has matched.

The team's Hall of Fame, which also includes a museum, is at the entrance to the Reds' ultra-modern Great American Ballpark, built in 2003. It combines high-tech elements with nostalgic reminders of the Reds' historic past. At the main gates, fans are greeted by mosaic murals of the 1869 Red Stockings as well as the famed Big Red Machine, the 1975 World Championship team that had a host of stars, including one of the game's best hitters -- Pete Rose, who turned into one of the game's most controversial figures with his gambling habits.

The park itself, named after the Cincy-based Great American Insurance Group, is downtown, similar to other new stadiums in other big-league cities. It's a class act with such special features as more than the usual number of field level seats, one of baseball's biggest video scoreboards and smokestacks that "explode" with fireworks after a Reds' home run or victory.

Back to the Hall of Fame. It's a $10 million community effort, its spokesman told us during a recent visit, with the helping hands of fans, players, collectors and countless others donating or loaning items crucial to the team's long history. Former stars Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench loaned their Golden Glove and Most Valuable Player awards, while one fan donated a rare panoramic photo of 1912's opening day at Crosley Field, which serves as a backdrop to the Hall of Fame's plaques gallery.

Rose, baseball's hit king, is significantly represented throughout the facility, although he may never be named to baseball's national shrine at Cooperstown, N.Y., because of his gambling habits. A major focus on Rose's exploits at Cincinnati is a 30-foot-tall "wall of balls" containing 4,256 baseballs, each representing one of his record number of hits. Another feature of the Reds' hall is the number of interconnective exhibits, attractive to all ages. The "Play Ball" gallery is tops. You start with an instructional video from past Reds greats, then continue by leaping to make a catch, stepping into the batter's box and trying to catch up to a fastball, throwing off a regulation mound to a strike zone 60 feet away, then going to a broadcast booth to call a play-by-play of a famous moment of Reds' history.

The Reds opened the museum in September 2004. The team is only one of a handful of major league clubs with facilities dedicated to its history and best players. There are a few -- St. Louis, Atlanta and Baltimore -- that recently expanded their museums. But we're told they don't hold a candle to the one in Cincinnati, which boasts 16,000 square feet of space and attracts some 100,000 fans a year.
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=21&a=293909

peterose00
05-12-2007, 05:44 PM
It is a great place -- the best of its type in all of baseball. Greg Rhodes deserves much of the credit for that. He "owned" this project and saw to it that it was done at a world class level.

Chip R
05-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Greg has done a tremendous job with the place. Hopefully his successor will do just as well.

SteveJRogers
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Haven't been to it (never traveled much outside the East Coast corridor) but from on-line images I'd say it has to rank up there.

I've been to three:

The Braves in Turner Field which is quite good, doesn't have plaques or anything, but nice pics of all of the Brave HOFers (including the Braves days in both Boston (even going back to the 1800's) and Milwaukee as well as a display of lockers representing the Divisional Championship streak.

Monument Park in Yankee Stadium, I'm sure they'll improve upon it in the new Stadium, and make it more of a musem rather than bunch of Monuments/Plaques and retired number plaques, but there are few goosebump inducing things in sports that being able to stroll through that part of Yankee Stadium.

The worse probably in all of baseball though has to be the Mets HOF display in the Diamond Club Lobby in Shea Stadium.

A) No easy access or signs pointing towards it at all

B) There are busts of the Met HOFers but nothing describing WHY they are HOFers. For example, why is this man in the Mets HOF?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/SteveJRogers/Mets%20Hall%20of%20Fame/MetsHallofFameBustsWilliamShea3.jpg

The NY attorney who was influential in bringing NL baseball back to NY, a lifelong part of the Met family and the guy the ballpark was named for, but is any of that info listed alongside William Shea's bust? No.

C) There are also pictures of the HOFers along the wall of the lobby, but there are no labels on any of them, so that means if someone asks who they are the person who was asked had better know the right answer

For example:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/SteveJRogers/Mets%20Hall%20of%20Fame/MetsHallofFameCleonJones.jpg
"Hey Dad, who is that?" "Well son...I'm not quite sure? Ed Charles maybe?" The correct answer is Cleon Jones, but the Mets are clearly banking on the fact that everyone who strolls through the lobby of the Diamond Club would know who Cleon Jones is and why he is considered an all-time great Met.

I really hope there is much change in this area in Citi Field come 2009!

Mr.MojoRisin
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I need to get up there this summer, is the Pete Rose exhibit still up?

TeamBoone
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I need to get up there this summer, is the Pete Rose exhibit still up?

Yup. I think it's going to be there all summer, but am not 100% sure about that.

peterose00
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Yup. I think it's going to be there all summer, but am not 100% sure about that.

yes, unless Pete says or does something really stupid

SteveJRogers
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
BTW, anyone know where I can find images of the plaques in the Reds HOF? Or if there are any plans for an up-to-date baseball (or postcard ala Cooperstown's yellow background set) card set of the Reds HOFers?

Chip R
05-13-2007, 09:11 PM
yes, unless Pete says or does something really stupid

What are the odds of that happening? ;)

The exhibit will be up till next spring.

dougflynn23
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
:) I'm a member and love it, but you can hear crickets chirping between October-February. Many members have suggested a "Hot Stove" speakers circuit where former Reds/baseball writers, etc come in for Q&A or presentations, book signings, etc. I hope the new director has a record of success on the marketing & promotional side.