PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate lineup (all-MLB)

dabvu2498
07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
With Mariano Rivera picking up save #400 and solidifing himself as the arguably the greatest closer of all-time, I don't think there's anyone who would pick another closer to finish a game for them with it all on the line.

So, we started thinking at today's ballgame, if you were playing one game for all the marbles and could pick a lineup of today's players to face the "Cosmic All-Stars" (Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Walter Johnson, etc.), what would your lineup be? (With no DH)

Here's mine:

1. Ichiro -- RF (Need a leadoff guy... he's the obvious choice)
2. Jeter -- SS (Any argument here???)
3. Pujols -- LF (Can I get an Amen???)
4. Ortiz -- 1B (He has to be in this lineup somewhere)
5. ARod -- 3B (I was torn between him and Cabrera, one day, it will be David Wright)
6. Beltran -- CF (I thought about Jr., Andruw Jones and even J. Damon as a leadoff possibility)
7. Posada -- C (Sometime soon, this will be Joe Mauer's spot)
8. Biggio -- 2B (Tough one here... Biggio is the most proven of the options)
9. Roger Clemens (Several good choices here as well, but I'll stick with the Rocket)
Closer -- Rivera (Easiest choice in the group)

I'm not sure this group could compete with an "All-Time All-Star" team, but I'd pay to see it.

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Your 2B needs to be Chase Utley.

dabvu2498
07-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Your 2B needs to be Chase Utley.
I thought about that. I chose Biggio's almost 12,000 career plate appearances over Utley's 1465.

Any other changes???

gitrdunn44
07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
I would put Soriano in at 2nd. Bad D but he makes up for it with the bat. Maybe Vlad in right and Beltran to the leadoff spot?

Johnny Footstool
07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
I thought about that. I chose Biggio's almost 12,000 career plate appearances over Utley's 1465.

Any other changes???

Right, but it's a "right now" scenario, isn't it?

terminator
07-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, there's no way the best of ONE generation could compete with the best of MANY generations.

If you're going for the "greatest right now at this moment" then you would take Mauer or Martinez over Posada and you'd take quite a few over Biggio. The rest are definitely good choices.

If you're going with "best career players who happen to be active now" then Griffey would definitely need to be in CF.

Also, maybe Rick White in the bullpen. The Reds did give up on him pretty early, ya know? :laugh: