PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Webb.. what if we could get him?

redsfan4445
07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I was thinking, if we could offer a package say a Claussen, Travis Wood and and 2 top relivers in AA, think they would bite? just curious..

KronoRed
07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
The NL west can be won by anyone, I'd think they would want a lot more..and guys who are ready now.

RedsManRick
07-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I think you would get laughed out the door and they'd never answer the phone again. Wood is a top 5 starter in the NL and hasn't even begun arbitration yet. We could call and offer them Dunn and Wood and they'd still need to think about it.

johngalt
07-16-2006, 06:44 PM
They would want someone viable to fill Webb's rotation spot along with a starting prospect in AAA or AA. Even that might not get it done.

alloverjr
07-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I'd start with Homer and go from there. If ever there was a pitcher designed to succeed in GABP, Webb is it.

Shaknb8k
07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Man an extreme groundball pitcher in Great American, from Ashland Kentucky, having as good of a season as anyone in baseball......that being said we dont have a chance to get him. I dont see a package we could put together to even have a chance.

oregonred
07-16-2006, 07:40 PM
I was thinking, if we could offer a package say a Claussen, Travis Wood and and 2 top relivers in AA, think they would bite? just curious..

They'd laugh so hard in Phoenix you could hear it from Tucson.

Minimum starting price would probably be Dunn + Bailey

Or alternatively, Harang + Bailey

redsfan4445
07-16-2006, 07:49 PM
i was just throwing a idea out their to build on... i dont understand why they want to trade Webb anyway? the way he keeps the ball down and is a huge groundball pitcher,, this is what this team needs... maybe a 3-way trade that could satisfy what they want as long as we can have Webb... just a idea...

captainmorgan07
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
diamondbacks still in it as i suspect they will be all summer or close to it in that terrible NL west so they'll be calling ppl about there players not ppl calling them about webb

RedLegSuperStar
07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
They'd laugh so hard in Phoenix you could hear it from Tucson.

Minimum starting price would probably be Dunn + Bailey

Or alternatively, Harang + Bailey

Shoot with the way Krivski dealt with Washinton the deal would have to look something like this:

DBacks: Brandon Webb, Tony Clark, Damion Easley, Luis Gonzalez

Reds: Adam Dunn, Homer Bailey, Travis Wood, Joey Votto, Ray Olmedo, and Cash

Virginia Beach Reds
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I met his agent at the DBACKS game in May. Nice guy.
No way to they send Webb anywhere. No way.

GAC
07-16-2006, 09:41 PM
As tight as the pitching market is - I strongly doubt it. You don't let a Webb without asking for very high dividends.

And after the Red's deal the other day - GMs are now scared to death of what they are gonna have to now pay for any type of pitching. ;)

Matt700wlw
07-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I proposed Dunn for Webb a couple years ago, and people thought I was crazy.

Maybe I am, but I may have been on to something... :)

KronoRed
07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
They would say no to that.

Matt700wlw
07-16-2006, 10:32 PM
They would say no to that.

Maybe now, but a couple years ago, Dunn made less money and they needed a bat.

If only Webb were a Free Agent...

Caveat Emperor
07-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Maybe now, but a couple years ago, Dunn made less money and they needed a bat.

If only Webb were a Free Agent...

If Webb were a free agent, the only difference would be we'd be lamenting lack of capital to sign him as opposed to lack of tradeable talent.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble on Webb, but it's not like he'd be pitching in front of a "pickin' machine" defense on the Cincinnati infield. Lots of ground balls are awesome -- lots of groundballs that go past a diving Royce Clayton, Edwin Encarnacion and Scott Hatteberg...not so awesome.

Nugget
07-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Also if you guys look at the inside information the Diamondbacks want a replacement starter, another pitcher and minor league talent for Webb. I just don't think the REDS can package something up. The Diamondbacks are willing to deal him but only if they get what they want in return.

Heath
07-16-2006, 11:46 PM
If major league service is still 6 years for an FA, Brandon's got 2 more years.

Add him to the wish list.

Patrick Bateman
07-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Would we trade Harang (at this time) for some propsects???

Of course not. So why would they trade Webb???

Falls City Beer
07-17-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't often use the word "impossible" when talking about baseball, but it would be impossible for the Reds to acquire Webb in the next several years.

KronoRed
07-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Well..if he tears his arm up or suddenly starts to suck we might have a shot ;)

Cooper
07-17-2006, 01:06 AM
uh...."impossible"....Team Clark stated in one of his posts that Webb was on the market....so it sounds as if it's very possible....?

KronoRed
07-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Pujols is probably "on the market" as well, for a team willing to trade everything plus a few limbs ;)

WVRed
07-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I don't often use the word "impossible" when talking about baseball, but it would be impossible for the Reds to acquire Webb in the next several years.

Not unless he prices himself out of Arizona and gives Cincinnati a home town discount.

Thats the only way impossible is possible.