PDA

View Full Version : Ross or Larue to Giants?

savafan
07-16-2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4059198

By Andrew Baggarly, STAFF WRITER

SAN FRANCISCO Do you trust Eliezer Alfonzo to catch a playoff game?

It's a hypothetical question, but it's one the Giants must ask now that Mike Matheny could miss the rest of this season because of ongoing post-concussion symptoms.

Giants manager Felipe Alou admitted that Matheny's return is "50-50, and that's the best I can say."

Though general manager Brian Sabean said last week that he was not pursuing a catcher, there is a feeling within the clubhouse that the Giants need to acquire a veteran presence behind the plate for the stretch run, when experience matters most.

The problem is the supply of available catchers. The Cincinnati Reds could move David Ross or Jason LaRue. The Chicago Cubs have Henry Blanco, and the Kansas City Royals have Paul Bako. Toby Hall is unhappy since the Los Angeles Dodgers acquired him from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

But none of those is a significant upgrade, and Alfonzo's bat is another incentive to keep him in the lineup.

While Alfonzo has done a good job following the veteran pitchers, he has had a tougher time calling games with the young relievers who lack experience.

And he missed several signs in the series last weekend at Dodger Stadium not a huge surprise for a 10-year minor-leaguer who bounced through five organizations and hadn't played more than four games above Class A entering last season.

"I'm not going to (say) it's comfortable because the guy we lost is a Gold Glove guy," Alou said. "We're doing OK. We're surviving, let's put it that way."

Backup Todd Greene cannot take on a larger role. Alou said Greene is limited to starting when Noah Lowry or Jamey Wright pitches because the catcher is still battling a sore shoulder. Lowry, a left-hander, keeps runners close, and Wright has one of the league's best pickoff moves.

The Giants also must look long-term at the catching situation, because it's impossible to tell how Matheny will react when he sustains another foul tip, assuming he resumes his career.

Matheny is guaranteed $2.25 million next year, and the Giants hold a $4 million option for 2008 that has a $2 million buyout.

Dunner44
07-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, what could they offer for LaRue? Because I would love to unload Jason, and he has proved he is out of his slump with an above .300 batting average in the last few weeks.

fisch11
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm glad to see LaRue hitting better lately. His value needs to improve if we are to get anything out of a trade with him.

Blue
07-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm glad to see LaRue hitting better lately. His value needs to improve if we are to get anything out of a trade with him.

That's why I say we should trade Dave Ross. His value is as high as it has ever been and the team we trade him to could control him for several years. I think Ross + a prospect could maybe bring back something worthwhile. LaRue will just bring back some C level prospect.

fisch11
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
That's why I say we should trade Dave Ross. His value is as high as it has ever been and the team we trade him to could control him for several years. I think Ross + a prospect could maybe bring back something worthwhile. LaRue will just bring back some C level prospect.

True. But I'd rather have a strong hitting catcher in the stretch run for the playoffs than a prospect in Louisville.

keeganbrick
07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
There is no way the Reds are trading Ross. Valentine's value isnt bad as a switch hitting catcher that is better from the left side.

savafan
07-17-2006, 12:11 AM
There is no way the Reds are trading Ross. Valentine's value isnt bad as a switch hitting catcher that is better from the left side.

Too bad Valentine is pitching in the Astros organization. ;)

kheidg-
07-17-2006, 12:12 AM

I too wouldn't be against trading Ross if we got a decent return for him. LaRue doesn't figure to return much until he at least keeps hitting until the deadline.

keeganbrick
07-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Too bad Valentine is pitching in the Astros organization. ;)
Valentin :)

BuckeyeRed27
07-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Why do we want to help the Giants? They are the next closest team in the wild card race.

keeganbrick
07-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Why do we want to help the Giants? They are the next closest team in the wild card race.
Well I'm sure they would be helping us too in someway.

Nugget
07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
The issue with the Giants is that they don't have anything that could help us.

MWM
07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Good idea. Sabean has a nice track record of trading for catchers.

thatcoolguy_22
07-17-2006, 02:52 AM
i love lamp

Royals Fan
07-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Ross for Lance Niekro sent to triple a today or Jesus Sanchez or Kevin Corriea or Brad Hennseey the young arms in the pen.