PDA

View Full Version : Tales From the Reds Dugout

keeganbrick
07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I dont normally read but I picked up Browning's book last week and it's great so far. I love all the short stories he has in every chapter.

Phhhl
07-16-2006, 10:33 PM
I've been meaning to get that. There were a lot of great Reds on those teams, including Tom himself. It takes me months to finish a book, and I have so many on my list. Currently, I'm trying to get through the excellent stuff Stephen Ambrose wrote on the subject of World War 2. I am 3/4ths through Citizen Soldier, and there is D-Day and Band of Brothers to go. I've also been meaning to get to 1776 by David McCullough. That's like five years of my time right there! I want to read about Ed Roush and the 1919 Reds too, especially since I lived for a while in his home town of Oakland City, Indiana. The post on this board panning some of the author's baseball-related accounts have shyed me away from that one, though.

Geez, I love to read. Technology has really interfered with it.

Mario-Rijo
07-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah I also intend on p/u Brownings book. I have p/u a couple of books lately that I have been meaning to read. Technology does seem to get in the way a bit at times.

Team Clark
07-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I have one that someone can have. The book is full of BS especially the "marijuana" part. Tom tells it one way when he tries to show off and another when he's trying to get a job. Other than that it's not bad as far as the stories that are true. Some of the other stuff is just made up as I have asked a lot of the people involved. Either way it is a fun read.

Redsland
07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I just finished it.

Mostly self-serving and sometimes transparently spun (the pot bust, the rooftop, the Freedom, etc.), but some good stories, nonetheless.

Bottom line: Borrow it. You can finish it during one plane ride.

tripleaaaron
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
i thoroughly enjoyed it, another good one, even though I am not a big Larussa fan is "3 nights in August" An inside look at the strategies involved in a 3 game series late in the season, written by same author of "Friday night lights, Buss Bissinger, highly recommended

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I found this book a very tough read. Although the 'stories' seemed to be some good ones, the way they were presented and also the grammar seemed to throw me for a loop. Was I the only one also that noticed quite a few grammar and spelling errors. I know it is a baseball book and all, but wouldn't you think the publisher or whoever is in charge of that would want that corrected to not make them look bad? Regardless it did give us some good insight and as posted earlier, some of his stories regarding the rooftop and the marijuana and other things seem to differ with the crowd he is telling it to.

JEA
07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I picked up the book a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hearing some of the background stories from the perfect game and the 90 world series was awesome as a Reds fan of the 1980s.

I've read some other 'Tales from the Dugout' books. They are what they are: fluff packaged in digestable nuggets. However, few of the Tales books are as complete and funny as Tom's. Bob Forsch's for example was an obvious rush job....with 14 point type and double spacing throughout. (I don't know how they can even call it a book)

What I appreciated most from Tom's volume was his decision not to tell-all and sell out his teammates, aside from a few rare instances. He embraces the concept of 'what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse.' It's just too bad that a certain poster on this forum who continually bashes Mr. Browning doesn't value the same concept. I guess it's an unwritten rule for a different generation.

Doc. Scott
07-18-2006, 07:08 PM
'what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse'.

This is an interesting euphemism for "lie", depending on who you believe.

JEA
07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
This is an interesting euphemism for "lie", depending on who you believe.

Yeah, when it comes to juicing and similar subjects, some players can use the concept as a shield to flat-out lie. Totally agree with you there.

However, I don't think players developed the mindset to protect a simple handful of unsavory souls. I think guys just saw a collective benefit of being able to act, talk, brag and argue in an environment away from the public eye. Certainly I wouldn't want my friends and co-workers publicly stating some of the off-color remarks and crude jokes I say in private conservations and relaxed environments.

The clubhouse's supposed to be like home. Players have enough to worry about without someone snitching about their private matters.

That's why I understand and appreciate the 'what's said in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse' rule most guys follow....aside from things like steroids (Bonds and co.) and stealing from teammates (remember good ol' Ruben Rivera?).