PDA

View Full Version : How Can You Not Like Junior

RedLegSuperStar
07-17-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/reds/reds.php?story=dispatch/2006/07/17/20060717-C5-00.html

Griffey handles his many bats with loving care
Monday, July 17, 2006
Jim Massie
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI — Ken Griffey Jr. retrieved three new maple bats from the storage area in the Reds’ clubhouse yesterday and carried them to his locker for closer inspection.

He autographed two and set them aside before beginning to tape the handle of the third for use in the game against the Colorado Rockies.

Since bats really do grow on trees, Griffey harvests a forest every season.

"Usually I order a dozen at a time," he said. "At the beginning of the year, I order maybe four dozen to start."

Most never see a game, at least in Griffey’s hands.

"I give away a lot for charities and fund-raisers," he said. "Some of the guys in here want to use them and players on other teams want them, too. I go through a whole lot of bats. But I buy my own."

While Griffey was speaking, Jason LaRue walked up and asked him whether he had autographed a promised bat for a charity event in Texas. Griffey handed him one of the freshly autographed ones and sorted through his locker for another to sign for the son of Rockies pitcher Ray King.

Asked how many hits he might be giving away with each, Griffey smiled.

"I look to see what I’m signing," he said. "I look at the grain. I know the ones I’m going to use."

Thank You Junior!

Phil in BG
07-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for sharing this article. Junior is the greatest.

KronoRed
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Cool stuff from JR :)

redsfan30
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
He's simply the best and it's going to be a very sad day when he no longer puts on a Cincinnati Reds uniform.

princeton
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
While Griffey was speaking, Jason LaRue walked up and asked him whether he had autographed a promised bat for a charity event in Texas. Griffey handed him one of the freshly autographed ones and sorted through his locker for another to sign for the son of Rockies pitcher Ray King.

sit on Austin Kearns and you still get a bat?

Spitball
07-18-2006, 09:13 AM

sit on Austin Kearns and you still get a bat?

No, his son does.

princeton
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
No, his son does.

sins of the father

CrackerJack
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll gladly trade good guy charitable stuff for better offensive production. :)

This team does and will need it.

TRF
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Juniors offense is fine. His charitable stuff just adds to his greatness in a sport shrouded in controversy, and dipped in personal selfishness.

Junior is the Anti-Bonds.

Hap
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Juniors offense is fine. His charitable stuff just adds to his greatness in a sport shrouded in controversy, and dipped in personal selfishness.

Junior is the Anti-Bonds.

So, why does ESPiN constantly bash Junior? Oh, wait.......because he IS the Anti-Bonds.....

redsfan30
07-18-2006, 10:13 AM
So, why does ESPiN constantly bash Junior? Oh, wait.......because he IS the Anti-Bonds.....
Other than Jim Rome, who are you talking about?

redsrule2500
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Cool article.