PDA

View Full Version : Reds have a new problem

snowstorm
07-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Don't look now, but with tonight's win over St. Louis, Atlanta will be only 5 games behind the Reds for the wild card. Forget Houston, Milwaukee, San Fran, etc. I'm more worried about the Braves as they seem to be making their annual "run" towards the playoff, with no signs of slowing down.

goreds2
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Never count the Braves out. What a run the have had the last 14 years. They have my total respect.

We are going to win the division anyway. :thumbup:

Mario-Rijo
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Nah, not worried about Atl. St. Louis may be in 2nd place by the time this series is over. Or maybe not with the Mets on the way in.

Tommyjohn25
07-17-2006, 10:11 PM
As long as the Reds keep winning at a reasonable rate I'm not worried about the Braves, 5 1/2 games is quite a bit of ground to make up in the Wild Card.

macro
07-17-2006, 10:23 PM
They've got a lot of teams to jump over, but plenty of time to do it. I get the feeling that their run ends this year, though.

traderumor
07-17-2006, 10:34 PM
The Braves still have not solved their pitching problems, which makes a sustained 2nd half onslaught ala Houston over the last two years highly unlikely

UK Reds Fan
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
But the Braves have a bad division they get to play the majority of their games against...Phils, Marlins are just terrible and looking to get even worse by dumping Abreau, Lidle, Gordon, etc. Nationals are also looking to dump Soriano, Guillen, etc.. Only the Mets are looking to be a solid team.

Reds have Astros, Cards and Brewers who are only looking to improve their clubs not dismantle. Cubs, as bad as they are, aren't looking to jettison anyone off and have Lee back for 2nd half and whatever they can get from Prior. Outside of Pirates, there are no big breathers in the Central.

I am hoping the Braves lose moreso than Cards. We truly have a better shot at wildcard than Central title. Getting into the playoffs is all that matters, not how we get there.

KoryMac5
07-17-2006, 11:02 PM
If and when the Braves figure out there bullpen problems than I will start looking in the rearview mirror. If I was Atlanta I might just think about making a move to shore up that problem area.

MartyFan
07-17-2006, 11:08 PM
It sounds cliche but the only thing the Reds can do is win the games they are playing...everything else will have to take care of itself.

Danny Serafini
07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't have any real faith in the Braves getting back into the race. The corpse may be twitching right now, but it's still a corpse.

jnwohio
07-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I'll gladly take the Cards' loss tonite. They had a couple of games in hand to the Reds; and, now they have given one back. That makes 2 fewer games the Reds have to win in the future to catch them.

The Cards may make some moves which change things but right now I am not convinced they put a better team on the field than the Reds. It has been a while since the Reds played them but if my memory serves right, the Reds are currently 5-2 against them. The biggest asset the Cards have (over the Reds) is their experience and their expectation that they will succeed.

In that new small park tonite, Weaver sure had the look of a right handed Eric Milton from last year. They may not have solved anything by jettisoning Ponson for him.

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 01:42 AM
The loss of Leo Mazzone has hurt them already this season but I still don't believe that the Braves have felt the total pinch yet of his loss quite yet. That is going to come down to the last month of this season when they really need some pitching tweeks and such and they will not have that and that is when they will falter 'BIG TIME' and then really feel the pinch of losing Leo.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-18-2006, 02:00 AM
It sounds like Jorge Sosa will be available, last time he had a change of scenery. 2004 TB 4-7 5.53 era 2005 ATL 13-3 2.55 era
GOTTA BE BETTER THAN JOE MAYS.( I think almost any pitching trade suggestion is safe and free from bashing if you add the Joe Mays tag at the end)

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 02:28 AM
It sounds like Jorge Sosa will be available, last time he had a change of scenery. 2004 TB 4-7 5.53 era 2005 ATL 13-3 2.55 era
GOTTA BE BETTER THAN JOE MAYS.( I think almost any pitching trade suggestion is safe and free from bashing if you add the Joe Mays tag at the end)

Sosa isn't the first Jorge that I would prefer the Reds would get. I would much rather the Reds go after Jorge Julio if at all possible. Has anybody heard if Julio is even available?

CTA513
07-18-2006, 02:35 AM

Jorge Sosa in 2006: 3-10 with a 5.61 ERA
85 Innings, 103 Hits, 20 Homeruns, 31 Walks, 55 Strikeouts.

Id rather see the Reds try someone out from the minors then trade for someone whos getting pounded.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-18-2006, 02:50 AM
change of scenery was the key phrase here, numbers are much better than ELMER D SO I WANTED TO THROW IT OUT THERE, SOUNDS LIKE ATLS PRETTY DOWN ON HIM SO IF YOU CAN SWING IT CHEAP, I SAY ITS WORTH A THOUGHT. SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS, TYPING IN THE DARK AND IM FROM THE HUNT AND PECK SCHOOL OF TYPING.

snowstorm
07-18-2006, 03:19 AM
Jorge Sosa? Oh God No.

I'd rather keep Joe Mays. :scared:

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Jorge Sosa? Oh God No.

I'd rather keep Joe Mays. :scared:

WOW!!!! I never thought that I would ever hear those words uttered!!!!

Rocket_Fuel
07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
I'm not really concerned with Atlanta. They're on a run, but remember our 1998 team that was similar to Atlanta's? Rebuilding teams that got hot (I think the Reds won something like 8 games in a row and got within ab out 6 games of the Wild Card). Now while Atlanta is more experienced I think the Reds will be fine. I don't think Atlanta can keep this up. I look for St. Louis to shut them down the rest of the series.

smith288
07-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Sosa has a bat that would make up for Clayton or Castro though. ;)

princeton
07-18-2006, 08:51 AM
the deal with Nats addresses the Braves, because the Braves would never,ever pull a Krivsky to fix the bullpen. The market's officially too rich for them.