PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see A-Rods 3 throwin errors tonight

captainmorgan07
07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
the throws weren't even close he's having mental issues came up with the bases loaded 1 out and wiffed on a high fastball this man is the felipe lopez of third baseman he has 16 errors

Swampturkey
07-17-2006, 11:51 PM
He was getting showered with boos as well and left the game with a "sore foot". Yeah right.

Shaknb8k
07-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I never thought i would see Nick Green replace A-Rod.

captainmorgan07
07-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I never thought i would see Nick Green replace A-Rod.
me either nyc's finest fans have really got into his head

RBA
07-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Is it the Ghost of Steve Sax?

TOBTTReds
07-18-2006, 12:03 AM
the throws weren't even close he's having mental issues came up with the bases loaded 1 out and wiffed on a high fastball this man is the felipe lopez of third baseman he has 16 errors

Even though I love EdE, sounds like him.

savafan
07-18-2006, 01:20 AM
ARod needs out of NY, but it will probably not happen because no other team besides the Red Sox can afford his contract...and the Yanks won't send ARod to Boston.

KronoRed
07-18-2006, 02:21 AM
He deserves to suffer there :D

They could use a crafty vet to man 3rd ;)

Jpup
07-18-2006, 02:30 AM
I'd trade any player on the Reds for him, twice.

smith288
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd trade any player on the Reds for him, twice.
And we would need cash considerations of course...

RedFanAlways1966
07-18-2006, 08:45 AM
AROD is human? Wow... amazing! Sax, Sasser and Knoblauch were human too... but not $25mill/yr. human.

RFS62
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah, he makes about $69,000 a day, every day, 365 days a year.

NJReds
07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
ARod needs out of NY, but it will probably not happen because no other team besides the Red Sox can afford his contract...and the Yanks won't send ARod to Boston.

Not necessarily. The Rangers still contribute $10M/year to pay off that contract. He's basically in Bobby Abreu territory, salary wise, once that is factored in.

letsgojunior
07-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, he makes about $69,000 a day, every day, 365 days a year.

Would you have turned down that money if you were in his position?

I always find it somewhat funny that people expect these athletes, celebrities, actors to be superhumans in terms of turning down money, never going out, turning down the ladies, always playing unselfishly, etc., when I imagine most "normal" people can NEVER live up to that standard.

That's not to say I condone being excessively greedy or aspiring to be the next Wilt Chamberlin, however - if you got a job offer tomorrow for double or triple your current salary, would you take it? Would you expect people to subsequently slam you for looking out for your family and for the bottom line? Would you deserve to be slammed for those considerations?

I don't personally like A-Rod, but I absolutely don't question his decision to make $252 M - he should take it to the bank and make NO apologies for it.

RFS62
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Would you have turned down that money if you were in his position?

Who said anything about turning down that money?

Gainesville Red
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't personally like A-Rod, but I absolutely don't question his decision to make $252 M - he should take it to the bank and make NO apologies for it.

Why do you dislike him?

Krusty
07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Would you swap Dunn for A-Rod? The thinking here is you'll move him to shortstop come 2007 next to Encarncion at third. Phillips would be at shortstop and I could live with Hatteberg back at lst for one more season.

In the outfield, you shift Junior to LF. Denorfia and Freel would share center. You could trade or sign a B-type free agent to play rightfield.

Just something to chew on.

registerthis
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Why do you dislike him?

Why do you hate freedom?

registerthis
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Would you swap Dunn for A-Rod?

Yes, yes and yes. All other things--such as contracts--being equal, of course.

vaticanplum
07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
A-Rod has a no-trade clause. He is not going anywhere. He is a Gold Glove winner and last year's league MVP, which, even if you never get to see some of his great plays, should be enough to prove that for every boneheaded play he makes there are about a dozen spectacular ones. So often when he has an error or an "unclutch" play it's all over the web (mostly by, contrary to popular belief, non-Yankees fans), but I can't really remember a thread made this year on this board for one of his clutch hits or great catches.

He did in fact foul a pitch off his foot last night, left the game early, and is getting it x-rayed today. If his foot isn't to blame for his errors, so be it. He plays 162+ games a year; he's bound to have a mistake now and then. The money argument is ludicrous when applied to mistakes. By this logic, Joe Crede, another well-known defensive player who plays the same position in the same league but makes significantly less money than A-Rod, is entitled to let some balls get by him because he's not getting paid enough to catch them.

I've posted this before, but this is a great article about the way the public perception of A-Rod is heavily skewed at times...not all about A-Rod, but a very good read about perception and journalism in general:

http://nomaas.org/sportsguydecline.html

Gainesville Red
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Why do you hate freedom?

So I'm not aloud to ask the guy a question?

Some freedom.

Unassisted
07-18-2006, 11:20 AM
<us in 20 years>

You know something, kids? Senator Rodriguez used to be a baseball player! In fact, I remember this one game where he had three throwing errors...

</us in 20 years>

Cyclone792
07-18-2006, 11:40 AM
<us in 20 years>

You know something, kids? Senator Rodriguez used to be a baseball player! In fact, I remember this one game where he had three throwing errors...

</us in 20 years>

Let's take it a step further:

<us in 20 years>

Random Fan: Wow, Alex Rodriguez was an amazing player. I just looked up his career stats, and he's one of the greatest players of all-time! All I remember from his playing days was that big contract, all those errors, and he always seemed to strike out when it mattered.

Me: You must have been concentrating on all the negatives like 99 percent of the baseball world did with Alex.

</us in 20 years>

All players have bad games and a bad stretch of games, even the greatest.

Ted Williams played in one World Series, and his performance in it was rather forgettable. That still doesn't mean that he's not the greatest hitter that ever lived.

Alex Rodriguez will have his bad days, but in the end, it still doesn't mean that he wouldn't already be among the game's 25-30 greatest players even if he never played another baseball game in his life.

Fullboat
07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
A-Rod is a SS he should switch with that other guy Jeter something.I don't think that will cause any problems.:devil:

registerthis
07-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Some freedom.

I was kidding...just seemed like the question to ask, that's all.

vaticanplum
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
A-Rod is a SS he should switch with that other guy Jeter something.I don't think that will cause any problems.:devil:

This Yankees team would probably look pretty different if I was running it, but I have to say that I have really grown to enjoy watching A-Rod at third base. He's a natural shortstop, but his skills in the hot corner have developed to the point that I think he's almost equaled his shortstop skills at this point...and given what I feel is a bigger dearth at third than short throughout baseball, in a way he looks even more impressive to me there.

smith288
07-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Some freedom.
You are letting the terrorists win.

<yes, this is sarcasm>

Gainesville Red
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I was kidding...just seemed like the question to ask, that's all.

My bad, my bad.

I meant to put a little wink, smile guy at the end.

Not trying to fight.

This guy ;)

Roy Tucker
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I truly hope its his foot that caused a temporary problem and all will be well.

If he's developing a Steve Sax-sized case of the yips, the Yankees have a Really Big Problem.

Highlifeman21
07-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Steve Phillips said the same thing on the Herd on ESPN Radio today. He said Arod would never realize his full potential while wearing pinstripes. Said that Arod needed out of NYC yesterday.

Gainesville Red
07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
the Yankees have a Really Big Problem.

I wish no ill will toward A-Rod, but the Yanks having a really big problem would not hurt my feelings at all.

reds44
07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
They should bench him at start Rich.

vaticanplum
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Steve Phillips said the same thing on the Herd on ESPN Radio today. He said Arod would never realize his full potential while wearing pinstripes. Said that Arod needed out of NYC yesterday.

Steve Phillips, if you'll forgive me, is full of crap. It's kind of hard for me to imagine that even A-Rod has much more potential than he displayed last year. His numbers this year are very good, not quite up to his monster 2005, but he's traditionally been better in the second half anyway.

It's just that every foible of his is splashed across the papers these days, and people who are only halfway paying attention know only that about him. So far in 2006 he's batting .284 with 20 home runs, 68 RBIs. He's hardly a problem, especially with a currently watered-down team that badly needs him.

Matt700wlw
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Why do you dislike him?

Great player.........outstanding player......

Until the pressure's on.

vaticanplum
07-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Great player.........outstanding player......

Until the pressure's on.

I'm going to post this article one more time in hopes that somebody, anybody, will read it, and then I will shut up for awhile...

KronoRed
07-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Would you swap Dunn for A-Rod?
Sure, if they are paying for him, otherwise we'd become a 1 man team and never get anywhere, 25 mill..that's JR+Dunn+Milton

That's a lot of payroll.

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Why do you dislike him?

The Cooler?

Let's see:

1] He chose the huge money grab over going with a contender. I have a hard time respecting anyone, athlete or not, who chooses money over happiness...this is especially true when we're talking about taking $250MM versus $180MM or so.

2] Once he got tired of not being on a contender, he whined his way out of Texas. "Gee, I got my $250MM, but now I wanna force my way to a team that is guaranteed to win with or without me."

3] I don't like anyone who is as image concious as he is. Take a stand on something for crying out loud! Who cares what the fans think, or the media, or anyone else? Grab a backbone, you clown!

4] He's never won. He's supposed to be the best player in baseball, and his teams are always better after he leaves or before he arrives.

5] Stop letting Scott Boras run your life just because he's your agent.

6] He reminds me way too much of Kobe Bryant. **This is a corollary of point 3. I find both Kobe & A-Rod to be skin deep, insincere, selfish players who lack substance and priorities...my 2 least favorite athletes in all of pro sports. Spin control -- if this is your top priority, you better be really good at it...good enough to convince the majority of the people. If not, you get called out for it. Instead of doing or saying what he believes to be the right thing, he wonders what everybody else is going to think is the right thing. Grow a pair, Nancy.

Curt Shilling, on the other hand, is an athlete I really respect. I disagree with a lot of what Curt Schilling says -- a lot. But he's well-informed, well-articulated and intelligent...and he takes a stand on most issues. I believe A-Rod is the antithesis. I don't respect anything about him.

Maybe I'm too hard on the guy, but he just rubs me the wrong way...and if he wore a Reds uniform, I'd root for him.

IslandRed
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
1] He chose the huge money grab over going with a contender.

I see that thrown around a lot, and I just don't think it holds water. When Rodriguez went to Texas, they had won three of the previous five AL West titles, and his signing was just part of Tom Hicks' spree that pushed the Ranger payroll over $100 million. In the end, the team wasn't very good because the money thrown at pitchers was largely thrown away, but when it was time for A-Rod to decide, they sure looked like a team that was trying to win.

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm going to post this article one more time in hopes that somebody, anybody, will read it, and then I will shut up for awhile...

What is this, the literary arm of the Yankee Whiners of America? Christ, that was an awful read. I shook myself awake 8 times to get through it, and everytime I awoke to find more whining and boo-hooing. Just a horrid screed all-around.

...Capped off by this self-possessed piece of pedantry:

Ah, projection at itís finest. Red Sox fans hate A-Rod, so they want Yankee fans to as well. The problem is, not one informed fan I know hates the guy. Heís a Yankee, one of the top three players in the entire sport, and well-mannered. To hate him would be the product of either immense stupidity and/or jealousy.

If you made the wise move and skimmed through this jeremiad, I'll sum it up for you in one sentence: "Yankees hack thinks Bill Simmons is an all out hoot EXCEPT when he pokes fun of beloved A-Rod."

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I see that thrown around a lot, and I just don't think it holds water. When Rodriguez went to Texas, they had won three of the previous five AL West titles, and his signing was just part of Tom Hicks' spree that pushed the Ranger payroll over $100 million. In the end, the team wasn't very good because the money thrown at pitchers was largely thrown away, but when it was time for A-Rod to decide, they sure looked like a team that was trying to win.

He sure stuck around, didn't he?

If he was so smitten with the Rangers and their chances of contending, why did he whine his way out of there rather than using his tremendous talent to help carry the team to contention?

IslandRed
07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
He sure stuck around, didn't he?

If he was so smitten with the Rangers and their chances of contending, why did he whine his way out of there rather than using his tremendous talent to help carry the team to contention?

Four seasons of watching a pitching staff that was Reds-bad can make a guy's eye wander. But for what it's worth, the move to Texas didn't bother me, the leveraging of himself to Boston or New York did. And it's not about the money, it's the general principle of, "if you don't want to get stuck somewhere forever, don't sign a contract for that long."

RFS62
07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
ARod went to Texas for the money. I've got no problem with that, but call it what it is. An offer too good to refuse.

Of course, he always said the politically correct thing, like he believes they're going to build a winner. But he didn't go there thinking about winning. He went there for the long green.

And as soon as he got tired of getting pounded, he helped orchestrate his departure. Can't blame him for wanting out, but he's a hypocrite if he says he went to Texas for anything other than the biggest pile 'o cash any baseball player has ever seen.

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Four seasons of watching a pitching staff that was Reds-bad can make a guy's eye wander. But for what it's worth, the move to Texas didn't bother me, the leveraging of himself to Boston or New York did. And it's not about the money, it's the general principle of, "if you don't want to get stuck somewhere forever, don't sign a contract for that long."

Back when A-Rod chose Texas b/c Tom Hicks showed him a really cool video of future studs like Carlos Pena and Jason Romano, maybe they hid the DVD with the pitching staff's highlights?

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
ARod went to Texas for the money. I've got no problem with that, but call it what it is. An offer too good to refuse.

I know, I know. But $180 million, guaranteed contention, and playing for the organization you REALLY would have preferred to play for -- why wasn't that an offer too good to refuse?

$180MM for 10 years. Enough is enough, right?

I'm not a Gordon Gecko guy. Greed will get you in the end. You wanted the $250MM, so you placed the recognition of being the highest paid player in sports above happiness and winning. You reap what you sow. I'd rather be a millionaire winner than a millionaire loser.

RFS62
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
I know, I know. But $180 million, guaranteed contention, and playing for the organization you REALLY would have preferred to play for -- why wasn't that an offer too good to refuse?

$180MM for 10 years. Enough is enough, right?

I'm not a Gordon Gecko guy. Greed will get you in the end. You wanted the $250MM, so you placed the recognition of being the highest paid player in sports above happiness and winning. You reap what you sow. I'd rather be a millionaire winner than a millionaire loser.

Yeah, I agree. I'm sure the players union had something to say about it too.

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm sure the players union had something to say about it too.

Yeah, I've often wondered how much of a factor that is. I remember being completely & utterly taken aback when I heard that the union stepped in and gave McGwire a hard time when he gave STL a discount. And I was surprised again with the A-Rod to Boston failed trade.

I've been in a union. I understand their purpose and their (sometimes) usefulness.

And I would have told them to shove it if I were McGwire or A-Rod.

vaticanplum
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM
What is this, the literary arm of the Yankee Whiners of America? Christ, that was an awful read. I shook myself awake 8 times to get through it, and everytime I awoke to find more whining and boo-hooing. Just a horrid screed all-around.

:laugh: Well, I admit it was verbose and one-sided, but it does present the facts that everyone overlooks with A-Rod, most pointedly the comparison between A-Rod and Ortiz in the clutch, and A-rod's general postseason stats.

I disagree with a lot of your assessment of him personally, but that's a hard thing to argue because it's all perception. Basically, a baseball player -- or anyone I don't know personally -- has to do A LOT to make me dislike him as a person, generally either really terrible behavior on the field or a really inappropriate comment off the field. This is because I simply can't hope to understand their motivations or their lives. How do we know that A-Rod chose money over happiness, ie. how do we have any idea how happy he really was in Seattle? Obviously, he wasn't blindly delighted enough for it to keep him there; if he believed flat-out that money was going to make him happier, well then, it's not a decision I'd choose to make, I hope, but it's a decision a lot of people I know and respect would probably make (as someone pointed out earlier in the thread). It's not inherently immoral and it's utterly his choice.

As to him being too image-conscious -- that I agree with, but I see it coming from a place of trying to live up to everyone's expectations and being what everyone wants him to be -- being a perfectionist, in a way, which by all accounts he is. I've said all along that the second he lets that go, he will be the ballplayer he is meant to be. But until then, I can't fault him for it, because I believe it comes from a place of good intentions and holes in self-confidence. There's no way I can be convinced that Curt Schilling isn't image-conscious; he just goes about it in a complete opposite way. I don't think he happens to be well-informed about everything he talks about, actually quite the opposite -- I think he'll spout off about anything just to hear himself talk and get a reaction (also looking for validation, but in a different way). Now, I do rather dislike Curt Schlling for this, but I respect the guts he has as a ballplayer. But Schilling's also got, what, almost ten years on A-Rod. Rodriguez will develop those guts, I believe, and he is bound to be part of a championship team at some point. And those two things are likely to go hand-in-hand.

Crash Davis
07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I disagree with a lot of your assessment of him personally, but that's a hard thing to argue because it's all perception. Basically, a baseball player -- or anyone I don't know personally -- has to do A LOT to make me dislike him as a person, generally either really terrible behavior on the field or a really inappropriate comment off the field. This is because I simply can't hope to understand their motivations or their lives. How do we know that A-Rod chose money over happiness, ie. how do we have any idea how happy he really was in Seattle? Obviously, he wasn't blindly delighted enough for it to keep him there; if he believed flat-out that money was going to make him happier, well then, it's not a decision I'd choose to make, I hope, but it's a decision a lot of people I know and respect would probably make (as someone pointed out earlier in the thread). It's not inherently immoral and it's utterly his choice.

I don't care about him turning his back on Seattle. I don't blame a player for leaving one team if he weighs all the options and considers another team to be a better fit. What I'm saying is that it looks like to me like he wanted to play for the Yankees or Red Sox all along, and he took the cold hard cash instead...whether Boras was the engine that made that go, or the union, or A-Rod's greed, or A-Rod's need for recognition, or all of them, I don't know. It was probably a combination.

As far as what behavior, whether considered immoral or not, makes us not like an athlete, we all have our unique values -- right? Pete Rose is a creep, but he didn't bother me as a player. Barry Bonds is a complete arse, but he doesn't really bother me. But A-Rod's actions have given me a picture of a greedy and image-driven hot-house flower...the exact opposite of what I'd want in a teammate.

As to him being too image-conscious -- that I agree with, but I see it coming from a place of trying to live up to everyone's expectations and being what everyone wants him to be -- being a perfectionist, in a way, which by all accounts he is. I've said all along that the second he lets that go, he will be the ballplayer he is meant to be. But until then, I can't fault him for it, because I believe it comes from a place of good intentions and holes in self-confidence. There's no way I can be convinced that Curt Schilling isn't image-conscious; he just goes about it in a complete opposite way. I don't think he happens to be well-informed about everything he talks about, actually quite the opposite -- I think he'll spout off about anything just to hear himself talk and get a reaction (also looking for validation, but in a different way). Now, I do rather dislike Curt Schlling for this, but I respect the guts he has as a ballplayer. But Schilling's also got, what, almost ten years on A-Rod. Rodriguez will develop those guts, I believe, and he is bound to be part of a championship team at some point. And those two things are likely to go hand-in-hand.

He may well be a perfectionist. But I think it's because he can't stand to not be liked. If he would stop taking a poll before every public statement he delivered, he'd be liked a lot more. I don't like my ballplayers to double as politicians and spin-doctors.

A-Rod just turns me off a lot more than Barry Bonds with steroids, or Ozzie Guillen not being politically correct, or Brett Myers and his domestic problems, or Meltdown Milton Bradley, or Ryan Freel's drinking problem, or Jeff Kent being a jerk. I'm not asking anyone to fall in line behind my values. What I am saying is that my values are valid, and I know there are a lot of other fans who dislike A-Rod for the same reasons...only to have it labeled jealousy or ignorance.

WMR
07-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Let me just say this about this thread: Crash Davis is on FIYAHHHH!!! ;)

Crash Davis
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Similar to Hunter S. Thompson with Richard Nixon and Watergate, let the record show that I kicked this man well before he was down.

Falls City Beer
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
What this thread proves is the folly in not voting in captainmorgan07gottalilcapninyou.

RedEye
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
What this thread proves is the folly in not voting in captainmorgan07gottalilcapninyou.

Man. I was really confused when I started reading this thread. Should have looked at the date first.