PDA

View Full Version : Rick Asadoorian?

pedro
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
from BP.com

Meanwhile, something interesting happened on July 5th. Outfielder Rick Asadoorian, a 1999 first-round pick who has turned into a journeyman, was put on the mound in an emergency stint. All he did was strike out five over two scoreless innings and touch 95 mph. It's worth another try, no?

princeton
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Homer Bailey's no stud. Southern League batters are just sissies.

Asadoorian's my boy-- worst princeton cyberdraftee ever

OnBaseMachine
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Hell yeah it's worth another try. Quite a few have made the transition from position player to pitcher and reach the majors: Trevor Hoffman, Brian Shackelford, Felix Rodriguez, Yhency Brazoban to name the easy ones. If his goal is to reach the majors then he should make the switch, Lord knows his bat will never get him to the bigs.

pedro
07-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Hell yeah it's worth another try. Quite a few have made the transition from position player to pitcher and reach the majors: Trevor Hoffman, Brian Shackelford, Felix Rodriguez, Yhency Brazoban to name the easy ones. If his goal is to reach the majors then he should make the switch, Lord knows his bat will never get him to the bigs.

Don't forget Liriano.

OnBaseMachine
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't forget Liriano.

Francisco?

I didn't know that.

pedro
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Francisco?

I didn't know that.

yup. that's why the Giants were willing to trade him, he was still undeveloped. turned out good for the twins though.

Joseph
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok, I'm making the assumption here that he's a Redleg farmhand?

pedro
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok, I'm making the assumption here that he's a Redleg farmhand?

yup. chattanooga.

dougdirt
07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, he is Joseph. Plays for Chattanooga.

princeton
07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
all that he knows about pitching is that he can't hit it

pedro
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM

then he doesn't have to unlearn anything the reds have taught him. :)

LincolnparkRed
07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
They should remind him that the opponents will not be waiting for strike 1 before they can swing.

Thanks DanO

15fan
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Asadoorian's my boy-- worst princeton cyberdraftee ever

It takes a big man to admit his mistakes.

Speaking of 99 draftees, Mike MacDougal returned from the DL to pitch a 1-2-3 9th inning on Sunday for a save in Detroit. :cool:

JaxRed
07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I'll ask tonight if they plan to pitch him again.

max venable
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Here's a quick story kinda related to what happened in Chattanooga:

A good friend of mine pitched in the Pirates' minor league system. A teammate of his was a light-hitting first baseman named Tim Wakefield. Wakefield had been screwing around with a knuckleball...and one day his team was getting pounded (my buddy said, "Probably I game that I (he) started)...and the manager says, "Hey Timmy, wanna throw some?" So Wakefield goes into the game in a mop-up role and lo-and-behold, nobody could hit his knuckler. And the rest is history.

My buddy's got some amazing stories from the minor leagues and the Cape Cod league. It's fun to talk with him about it.

Guacarock
07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Coutlangus, a lefthanded reliever who's doing quite well at Chattanooga, also made the transition from batter to pitcher. I believe he was a catcher before, although I could be wrong on that score.

RFS62
07-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Isn't that what Gibson said to McCarver one time when he came out to the mound uninvited?

LexingtonRedsFan
07-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I believe I remember listening to a former player on the radio (cant remember who), but he mentioned that if it up to him, every left hander who washed out as a hitter should be sent to extended spring training to see if they have the stuff as a pitcher. Although he is a right hander, I kind of thought that the Reds might have tried Mark Schramk (sp?) out as a pitcher. IIRC, didnt the reds draft him his junior year as a pitcher?

edabbs44
07-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Coutlangus, a lefthanded reliever who's doing quite well at Chattanooga, also made the transition from batter to pitcher. I believe he was a catcher before, although I could be wrong on that score.
Lefty catcher?

Ravenlord
07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
I believe I remember listening to a former player on the radio (cant remember who), but he mentioned that if it up to him, every left hander who washed out as a hitter should be sent to extended spring training to see if they have the stuff as a pitcher. Although he is a right hander, I kind of thought that the Reds might have tried Mark Schramk (sp?) out as a pitcher. IIRC, didnt the reds draft him his junior year as a pitcher?
Schramek was drafted as a RHP, but the braintrust decided he'd be a better 3B.

Guacarock
07-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Lefty catcher?

You got me. Coutlangus was never a catcher. The Milwaukee Brewers drafted him as an outfielder, and the SF Giants subsequently converted to him to being a relief pitcher instead.

princeton
07-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Schramek was drafted as a RHP, but the braintrust decided he'd be a better 3B.

no, he wasn't. There was a misprint in the original draft list. He was drafted as a 3Bman, and had never pitched to even a single batter in college.

I was the one that suggested that he'd never hit, but since he had a terrific arm, they should make the conversion anyway. I make the same suggestions about guys like Miguel Perez, Craig Tatum, Paul Janisch (who did pitch in college).

Ravenlord
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I make the same suggestions about guys like Miguel Perez, Craig Tatum, Paul Janisch (who did pitch in college).
and i don't think most people on this board would disagree with that...especially Perez.

but i do wonder why more teams don't do it?

Caveat Emperor
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
and i don't think most people on this board would disagree with that...especially Perez.

but i do wonder why more teams don't do it?

Likely because the resources (namely: innings to pitch and coaches to instruct) are too finite to make it worthwhile.

jmcclain19
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Likely because the resources (namely: innings to pitch and coaches to instruct) are too finite to make it worthwhile.

Player desire has a lot to do with that too.

I know some players, not all but some, think there is a stigma to being a pitcher and just won't have anything to do with it. You hear that a lot about two way guys coming out of high school and college. An occasional player will pipe up that opinion, that he has no intention of being a professional pitcher, even if that is where his best career path lies.

Witness Exhibit A - Mark Schramek.

Caveat Emperor
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM

I know some players, not all but some, think there is a stigma to being a pitcher and just won't have anything to do with it. You hear that a lot about two way guys coming out of high school and college. An occasional player will pipe up that opinion, that he has no intention of being a professional pitcher, even if that is where his best career path lies.

I always begged my coach to put me in to pitch, but he always wanted me at first base or third base. I finally got in an inning in little league and the first pitch I threw was behind the guy. I struck out the side after getting the jitters out. :laugh:

Doc. Scott
07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
no, he wasn't. There was a misprint in the original draft list. He was drafted as a 3Bman, and had never pitched to even a single batter in college.

I was the one that suggested that he'd never hit, but since he had a terrific arm, they should make the conversion anyway. I make the same suggestions about guys like Miguel Perez, Craig Tatum, Paul Janisch (who did pitch in college).

Schramek was drafted in 2001 as a pitcher and 2002 as a 3B.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Mark-Schramek.shtml

When I first was hearing talk about Schramek being tried as a pitcher, I could have sworn I found something that said the Reds had picked Mark as a pitcher out of HS and then again later as a 3B, but now I can't find that. And the Baseball Cube is usually right about draft stuff, if not with other things.

Ravenlord
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM

in that case, i have to question the drive of any player who refuses to pitch (or hit) if that's their best career path.

Doc. Scott
07-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Here's the thing: the Reds keep acquiring convert-ees like Brian Shackleford, German Melendez (who was flipped from C to P by Houston, I think, and then signed and released by the Reds in April) and Coutlangus, but I haven't seen them attempt one themselves since the days of Glenn Sutko.

I can't help but think other organizations would think more about trying a conversion with a Mark Schramek or Rick Asadoorian, but instead we get Schramek released and Asadoorian back in CF, hitting .244.

The Royals love to try conversions. Their latest attempt is Mike Stodolka (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Mike-Stodolka.shtml), a LHP-turned-1B who was the fourth player picked back in 2000.

JaxRed
07-19-2006, 07:52 PM
So last night, I'm talking to someone from Chattanooga in position to know the Asadorian situaion. I asked if they were going to talk about Asadorian pitching again, and he said they'd discuss it. I asked if it was as impressive in person as it was in the box score and said "Oh Yeah".

When I said he should switch as a career move, what I inferred from the answer is that they have had the talk with Rick, but he desn't want to try it yet.

princeton
07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Schramek was drafted in 2001 as a pitcher and 2002 as a 3B.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Mark-Schramek.shtml

When I first was hearing talk about Schramek being tried as a pitcher, I could have sworn I found something that said the Reds had picked Mark as a pitcher out of HS and then again later as a 3B, but now I can't find that. And the Baseball Cube is usually right about draft stuff, if not with other things.

right, and that was a misprint. IIRC, someone even asked Schramek about it, and he said that he'd never pitched. His college stats back that up

Reds announced that he had the best college bat in that draft

CTA513
08-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Asadoorian just pitched an inning for the Lookouts in a 14-1 game.

1 Inning, 1 Hit, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 1 K

Gallen5862
08-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Asadoorian needs to start being converted to a pitcher. Let him play as a position player during the days he doesn't pitch. Players do that all the time in High School and Legion ball and in College.

Spitball
08-06-2006, 01:39 AM
My dad was an engineer at GE and we lived in Cincinnati for a couple of years in the mid sixties. Its a long story, but sometimes we were back in Cincy, and we always attended Reds' games when we were in town.

Anyway, it was a Sunday in 1967 and my dad and I were sitting in box seats along the third base line near the Reds' bullpen at Crosley Field during a double header against the San Fransico Giants. After the first game, the outfielders were taking flies in the outfield when Art Shamsky runs out of the dugout to the right of me. He sprints towards fellow outfielder Mel Queen, puts his hands on his shoulders, and obviously says something to him. Queen looks shocked and then sprints toward the dugout. Next thing I know, Mel Queen, the outfielder, is warming up in the Reds' bullpen right in front of me. He obviously was a last minute emergency replacement for the scheduled starter, and dang if he didn't pitch an incredible game. I don't remember if it was a complete game, but he shut the Giants out for at least seven or eight innings. I remember Tommy Harper robbing Willie Mays by climbing on that small concrete wall in right and leaping against the chain link fence in front of the moon (sun) deck. I've been to many, many games but that was one of the most memorable.

Queen went on to win 14 games that year as a starter but suffered arm problems after that year. I know he went to the angels at some point and has served as a pitching coach. I remember a frequently told story by announcers about his dad, who was a big league pitcher, once being thrown out at first by a right fielder after lining an apparent single to right.