PDA

View Full Version : Narron Speaks about Edwin! (Kinda)

reds44
07-19-2006, 08:50 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060719&content_id=1564877&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- It's a hitting skid with the kind of numbers that neither looked nor sounded good.
At least second baseman Brandon Phillips could say he felt good at the plate, even if he entered Wednesday's game with the Mets mired in a 1-for-30 slump, including 0-for-his-last 13.

"If I was always striking out and doing stupid stuff, I'd be mad," said Phillips, who has six strikeouts during the stretch. "That's why I'm not walking around ticked off."

Since July 7, Phillips' batting average has dipped from .319 to .290, and he was batting .151 for the month. Manager Jerry Narron has had no issue with Phillips' hitting plan. He has tried to use his quick bat to drive the ball the opposite way.

"In the game on Sunday, with the bases loaded, he hit the ball to right field and did what he wanted to do," Narron said. "He just missed it a little bit and didn't hit it quite far enough."

"I'm using the same approach. I'm just not getting any hits," said Phillips, who had one RBI in each of the previous two games. "I'm not going to change anything. I'm not striking out that much. I'm making contact, hitting the ball hard sometimes. All I'd do is take one hit. After I get that one, it'll go back on like I was doing earlier this season."

Because the 25-year-old is so strong defensively, there are no immediate plans to give him a break from the lineup.

"He went through the same thing earlier [this season] and came out of it," Narron said. "I believe he'll come out of it again."

Where's Encarnacion? Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion has had a low profile recently. He has started only two of the six games coming out of the All-Star break and has played in just four since returning from the disabled list on July 6.

Part of the reason has been Rich Aurilia, who entered Wednesday's start riding an 11-game hitting streak.

"It's hard to get him out of there," Narron said.

The club also has gotten stronger defense from Aurilia than from Encarnacion, who has committed 15 errors this season.

Narron planned to start Encarnacion in Thursday's game, with Aurilia possibly moving over to first base. There was no concern that Encarnacion might become stale spending so much time on the bench.

"Not really," Narron said. "Eddie comes out working hard and has been out here early taking ground balls. Eddie is going to be fine. It'll work out over the next couple of months, I'm sure of that."

Tough date: July 19 is one of only 12 calendar days between March 31 and Oct. 3 that center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. has not hit a home run during his career.

Get in line: Bronson Arroyo is scheduled to sign autographs on Saturday from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. ET at the Kroger Marketplace in Liberty Township at 7300 Yankee Road. A limit of 200 autograph tickets will be distributed beginning at 11:30 a.m.

Coming up: The Reds conclude their three-game series with the Mets on Thursday at 12:35 p.m. ET. Arroyo (9-6, 2.96 ERA) is scheduled to face left-hander Tom Glavine (11-3, 3.56 ERA).

At least he will be starting tomorrow.

pedro
07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
"Not really," Narron said. "Eddie comes out working hard and has been out here early taking ground balls. Eddie is going to be fine. It'll work out over the next couple of months, I'm sure of that."

translation: we're gonna suck every possible hit out of RA while he's hot and pump up his value as a 3B before we flip him.

reds44
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM

translation: we're gonna suck every possible hit out of RA while he's hot and pump up his value as a 3B before we flip him.
I found that comment interesting also.

I hope your translation is correct.

pedro
07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope your translation is correct.

Me too.

LoganBuck
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Rainbows and Unicorns........

KronoRed
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Lollypops? Cotton candy?

Marc D
07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
First we told ourselves its just to give EE extra rest before the break. He'll start again afterward.

Then it was that EE's ankle must still be sore even though we all saw the reports of him playing 8 games in 7 days in AAA.

Now its that the Reds FO is shining RA up for a trade even after Narron comes out and baisically says he prefers RA to EE.

Denial aint just a river in Egypt. EE is a sub untill they pry the specially printed "RA bats 4th and plays 3B" lineup cards Narron had printed up, from his cold dead fingers.

pedro
07-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I can believe in magic dragons if I want to.

Reds1
07-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Does no one see any value in RA? He seems to really get a bad rap. Solid defensive and can hit the HR like he did tonight. I love EE and he came in with a great PH tonight. I also want to see him more, but trading RA doesn't seem like something that will help our ballclub. I'm already worried we might have lost too much offense. RA could be very important to this team in a playoff run.

penantboundreds
07-20-2006, 12:52 AM
the best infield....aurillia(or when not hot freel) at second, phillips short, and ee third, aurillia and hatte still at 1st

Reds1
07-20-2006, 01:00 AM
the best infield....aurillia(or when not hot freel) at second, phillips short, and ee third, aurillia and hatte still at 1st

Not sure I agree. EE hasn't proved to me he is better then RA or Freel at 3B.
Not sure why Phillips isn't playing any SS, but they don't seem to want to touch him at 2B. Clayton has been fine. He's even given some good ab so far. We are 5-1 since the break. We had great Defense and RP tonight. I don't see any changes coming any time soon. NIght.

KronoRed
07-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Does no one see any value in RA?
When he's hot yes..but he like most hackers has a tendency to go ice cold for stretches, if someone offered some pitching I'd do that deal fast.

GAC
07-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Not sure I agree. EE hasn't proved to me he is better then RA or Freel at 3B.
Not sure why Phillips isn't playing any SS, but they don't seem to want to touch him at 2B. Clayton has been fine. He's even given some good ab so far. We are 5-1 since the break. We had great Defense and RP tonight. I don't see any changes coming any time soon. NIght.

Why try to fix it if it ain't broke?

The game of baseball is also a game of superstitions. If a player is playing hot - and RA has been - then what is the justification for taking him out of the lineup?

EE is not going anywhere. Krivksy is not that stupid IMO. They simply have decided to bring him along slower I guess. They certainly, IMO, are not gonna trade away an EE to go longterm with RA at 3B. I don't believe that for a second.

But Narron is simply riding the hot (and stable) hand right now. And I don't blame him while they are in it here in '06.

But I bet we see a different INF come the '07 season. ;)

GAC
07-20-2006, 07:10 AM
When he's hot yes..but he like most hackers has a tendency to go ice cold for stretches, if someone offered some pitching I'd do that deal fast.

In this current market, that would be one BIG "if". ;)

Ltlabner
07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
EE is not going anywhere. Krivksy is not that stupid IMO. They simply have decided to bring him along slower I guess. They certainly, IMO, are not gonna trade away an EE to go longterm with RA at 3B. I don't believe that for a second.

But Narron is simply riding the hot (and stable) hand right now. And I don't blame him while they are in it here in '06.

But I bet we see a different INF come the '07 season. ;)

If anything, I think the big trade was an endorsement of EE as a player that will be here a while. Which position is a different argument.

While he's had the same defensive issues as Lopez he's been out there every day practicing and working to get better. Lopez....is well.....in Washington.

While I would rather see EE there every night, if RA is producing then why not ride the hot hand?

KronoRed
07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
While I would rather see EE there every night, if RA is producing then why not ride the hot hand?
Well, to play the other side...Rich would be playing even if he wasn't hot, he's the starter.

reds44
07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
If anything, I think the big trade was an endorsement of EE as a player that will be here a while. Which position is a different argument.

While he's had the same defensive issues as Lopez he's been out there every day practicing and working to get better. Lopez....is well.....in Washington.

Edwin's hand is hotter then Rich's is right now.

SOLUTION: Play them both.

StillFunkyB
07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
I can believe in magic dragons if I want to.

"Are you a pot-head, Focker?" :)