PDA

View Full Version : Boston observation

TeamCasey
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I was at Logan Airport this afternoon while the Sox were playing. You should have seen the crowds circled around TVs. People were getting off planes and staying in the airport to watch the game. The Sox came up in many meetings over the past few days. Everyone is just SO into baseball here.

Los Angeles business trips ....... little interest in baseball. It's all basketball talk there.

Cincinnati may be an old baseball town, but it has quiet, polite fans.

In Boston it's just such a phenomenon. It's like the whole town stops for a mini holiday when a game is on.

BTW, for you Bostonians .......... your traffic is a freaking nightmare! I don't know how you get through the big dig disaster. This morning there was an accident and a water main break on top of the normal construction and the big dig shut down. My cab had a hell of a time just getting the mile or so distance I needed.

Dom Heffner
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I went to Wrigley field one day and it was like watching a cult following.

They brought in little kids on school buses and they chanted these Cubs cheers the entire game.

I didn't know whether to be impressed or to be on the lookout for Malachai from Children of the Corn.

It was nuts. I was not used to seeing that type of devotion, and that team hasn't won anything in years.

Cincy was so different, though the fans get pretty geared up for Bengal games.

cincinnati chili
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
BTW, for you Bostonians .......... your traffic is a freaking nightmare! I don't know how you get through the big dig disaster. This morning there was an accident and a water main break on top of the normal construction and the big dig shut down. My cab had a hell of a time just getting the mile or so distance I needed.

I'm doing what I can to get out of Boston as soon as possible. I liked the city a lot more as a tourist than I do as a resident, especially in the winter. I avoid driving there as much as possible (using the subways), even though I've gotten pretty good at it.

I've actually heard from Boston natives that the big dig has made commuting a lot faster, esp. to the airport and north/south through the city. However, my biggest concern is that the big dig is unsafe. You probably heard about the woman that got smooshed by a concrete tile in the tunnel this month. I don't trust that the construction was done safely. And even if it was, it's a huge terrorist/natural disaster target. Make no mistake, what happened in New Orleans could happen in Boston. There is no evacuation plan.

But yes, the passion of the Red Sox fan is all too real. None of the Boston natives believe me when I say this, but I do believe that they'll eventually hit a slow cycle with attendance. It happens everywhere. It happened in the Bronx in the late 80's and early 90's. There are some very loyal fans, but the organization is also being aided by some bandwagoners. I realize that there isn't as much history in the organization, but I lived in Denver in the mid 90s when the Rockies were selling out every game for multiple seasons. Cleveland natives probably remember the same. The Sox will eventually hit a dry spot in 5-10 years similar to what we saw with the Indians.

gonelong
07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I've actually heard from Boston natives that the big dig has made commuting a lot faster, esp. to the airport and north/south through the city. However, my biggest concern is that the big dig is unsafe. You probably heard about the woman that got smooshed by a concrete tile in the tunnel this month. I don't trust that the construction was done safely. And even if it was, it's a huge terrorist/natural disaster target. Make no mistake, what happened in New Orleans could happen in Boston. There is no evacuation plan.

They shut it down today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_re_us/big_dig;_ylt=AuVmMyfNKPxW7b7veOXS5D6s0NUE;_ylu=X3o DMTA3OTB1amhuBHNlYwNtdHM-

M2
07-21-2006, 02:08 AM
There isn't a city in America that revolves around baseball even half as much as Boston.

chili may believe Boston will hit a slow cycle in terms of its passion for the game and maybe the team won't always sell out every contest, but as far as I'm aware the region's been on a baseball jag since 1967 that's seen very little in the way of letup.

As for the city, don't drive in Boston. It can't be stressed enough. The T goes to airport. Plus, as noted above, one of the tunnels out to the airport has been shut down because part of the roof collapsed (thanks Bechtel) so traffic's been nuts lately. Anyway, I don't want any part of a city that's the least bit car-friendly so that suits me just fine.

I'll disagree with the natural disaster target part of chili's post. Boston's far enough north that hurricanes burn out long before they get up here (partially because the water's a lot colder too). Hurricanes also have to cross over the Gulf Stream if they want to whack New England. We don't get earthquakes of any magnitude. We don't get much in way of tornadoes.

cincinnati chili
07-21-2006, 02:23 AM
M2:

Do you find credible the idea that a tidal wave will hit the Eastern seaboard from the Canary islands and other Atlantic islands?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5652141/

Some say its kooky science. I dunno. But if it's legit, I figure that being a lifelong resident of Boston or NYC is a risk I will forgo.

RosieRed
07-21-2006, 05:40 AM
I had to drive in Boston a few months ago.

I didn't so much mind the traffic, though it was pretty bad. But I've driven in NYC, Chicago and L.A. recently too, so I think I'm just immune. (And even though Cincy isn't huge, the traffic here can be phenomenal.) What was bad was getting lost. That was interesting. But on the plus side, I got to see Harvard when I hadn't planned on it!

I didn't like driving in the tunnel(s) though, at all.

TeamCasey
07-21-2006, 06:30 AM
I took taxis everywhere. It's so easy. You blink your eyes and *poof*, a taxi appears. We walked the first night, but that 90+ temperature was brutal.

My hotel overlooked the tunnel that M2 is talking about. It seems to have quite the political history. (I love talking to cabbies.)

StillFunkyB
07-21-2006, 08:15 AM
I went to Yankee stadium a couple weeks ago (the game where Jason Johnson plunked Posada etc...)

The atmosphere there was something I hadn't really seen in a long time, and there were alot, I mean ALOT of people there EARLY. Alot of people talking to the players, and watching BP etc..

RedFanAlways1966
07-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Boston has the most red-light offenders when driving. Once that light turns red you can expect at least three more cars to go through the red light. :eek:

RFS62
07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I always felt like Boston has the most aggressive drivers I've ever seen, even compared to NY, Philly, LA and Miami.

M2
07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
M2:

Do you find credible the idea that a tidal wave will hit the Eastern seaboard from the Canary islands and other Atlantic islands?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5652141/

Some say its kooky science. I dunno. But if it's legit, I figure that being a lifelong resident of Boston or NYC is a risk I will forgo.

Got to be honest with you, I'm not spending any time worrying about cataclysmic destruction. If that's going to happen, then Boston's no more dangerous than any other spot along the Atlantic. The entire state of New Jersey disappears in that scenario.

Could happen in the Pacific too. A meteor could hit the earth. There's not a spot on the planet where you're ever absolutely safe from some sort of massive disaster.

M2
07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I always felt like Boston has the most aggressive drivers I've ever seen, even compared to NY, Philly, LA and Miami.

IMO drivers in New York are more aggressive, but they're less chaotic. It's probably the difference between a city a with a nice grid layout and one with paved cowpaths.

RFS62
07-21-2006, 11:06 AM
IMO drivers in New York are more aggressive, but they're less chaotic. It's probably the difference between a city a with a nice grid layout and one with paved cowpaths.

Immediately after 9-11 a friend of mine from Canada tried to drive through Manhattan. He took 8 and a half hours to get 4 miles.

They chewed him up and spit him out.

He just didn't have the sensibilities to force his way through the gridlock, and even the hot dog vendors were using him.

15fan
07-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Mrs. fan works for a property development company. She does some initial legwork on deals/projects to see if they make financial sense.

They're always buying & selling things. But I've noticed she's been making more trips to Boston lately. While they've been pulling out of other parts of the country, Boston seems to be a full-steam-ahead type of market.

M2
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Mrs. fan works for a property development company. She does some initial legwork on deals/projects to see if they make financial sense.

They're always buying & selling things. But I've noticed she's been making more trips to Boston lately. While they've been pulling out of other parts of the country, Boston seems to be a full-steam-ahead type of market.

The real estate market around here has been so hot for the past decade that people are starting to think it will never stop. It's made the cost of housing full-tilt insane.

M2
07-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Immediately after 9-11 a friend of mine from Canada tried to drive through Manhattan. He took 8 and a half hours to get 4 miles.

They chewed him up and spit him out.

He just didn't have the sensibilities to force his way through the gridlock, and even the hot dog vendors were using him.

First person to the spot wins. Don't make any eye contact.

westofyou
07-21-2006, 12:01 PM
The real estate market around here has been so hot for the past decade that people are starting to think it will never stop. It's made the cost of housing full-tilt insane.
Try the bay area... from Gilroy to Santa Rosa - San Francisco to Tracy.

700 square foot beach houses (1/2 a mile from the beach) built for summer rentals in the 50's going for 750K.

reds1869
07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
My sister in Boston walks or takes the T everywhere. She keeps her car parked at a relative's house in the suburbs. You're right, the traffic is nightmarish.

WebScorpion
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
It's not just Boston, it's all of New England. I went to a little sports bar in Portsmouth, New Hampshire called the Sports Page...they had 54 widescreen plasma displays. The Red Sox game was on every one...we asked if they could show another game on one of the screens near us and the waiter said he'd check with the manager and then never returned. Eventually we got the manager and she said they couldn't change the channel until the Red Sox game was over. :eek: They should have called it the Sox Page...we never went back. :thumbdown

Roy Tucker
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
The key to driving in Boston (or any other city for that matter) is *never* make eye contact and make the other guy brake.

The roundabouts are fun too.

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
The key to driving in Boston (or any other city for that matter) is *never* make eye contact and make the other guy brake.

Same rules apply if you're a pedestrian, especially in Cambridge.