PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Magic Number Thread

jmcclain19
07-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Ready for this boys and girls?

Here we are, nearing the two month mark remaining on the season, and the Reds are chasing the Cards for the Central Division Lead.

Just thought this would be as good a place as any to keep track of St. Louis' magic number.

Remember - everytime Cincinnati (or the 2nd place team should the Reds get overtaken) loses OR the Cardinals win, the number goes down.

That formula is as follows (For those keeping score at home)
Total Number of games - Wins by the 1st place team - Losses by the 2nd place team + 1

That would mean that thru the games finished on July 19th

162 - 53 - 45 + 1 = 65 with 67 games to go

WVRedsFan
07-20-2006, 02:49 AM

Here we are, nearing the two month mark remaining on the season, and the Reds are chasing the Cards for the Central Division Lead.

Just thought this would be as good a place as any to keep track of St. Louis' magic number.

Remember - everytime Cincinnati (or the 2nd place team should the Reds get overtaken) loses OR the Cardinals win, the number goes down.

Total Number of games - Wins by the 1st place team - Losses by the 2nd place team + 1

162 - 53 - 45 + 1 = 68 with 67 games to go

Nothing more disgusting than discussing a magic number for the Cardinals in July. Come on, Jmclain. You related to George Grande?????:evil:

Nugget
07-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Why don't we start a magic number for the REDS?

Tornon
07-20-2006, 02:53 AM

162 - 53 - 45 + 1 = 68 with 67 games to go

I think you need to re-check your math there.. shouldn't their magic # be 65?

KronoRed
07-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Why don't we start a magic number for the REDS?
We need to get to 1st place for starters :D

jmcclain19
07-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I think you need to re-check your math there.. shouldn't their magic # be 65?

Ha - you would be correct sir. There is a "it's takes a real engineer to screw up an easy math problem" joke in there somewhere.

Swampturkey
07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
As a Cardinals fan, I kinda like this thread. ;)

smith288
07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
This is a jinx thread.

BOO!

OldXOhio
07-20-2006, 03:25 PM
As a Cardinals fan, I kinda like this thread. ;)

Isn't this thread something that's done on the Cardinals board every year, a tradition of sorts?

KronoRed
07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
This is a jinx thread.

BOO!
On them :devil:

RBA
07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
This thread takes Redszone into a Defeatist Attitude. I don't like it. :thumbdown

smith288
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
This thread takes Redszone into a Defeatist Attitude. I don't like it. :thumbdown
Alrighty...

jmcclain19
07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Some of the reactions in this thread are HILARIOUS

There is no such thing as a "Magic Number" to the wildcard. Not until all three division slots are clinched. And given the NL West that could be during Game 162 of the season. Thus, the Reds are chasing the Cards, with the hope that when the chase ends, if they haven't passed the Cardinals, they happen to be the best team remaining. There is nothing defeatest or rooting for the Cards in watching that. Some Reds fans will want to know as the season winds down what else needs to be done to win the Division. I happen to be one of those fans.

But hey to each his own. If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and not pay any attention to what other teams in the division are doing, please feel free to pass over this thread in the future.

StillFunkyB
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
This is a jinx thread.

BOO-YAA GRANDMA!

I fixed that for ya! ;)

Eric_Davis
07-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I've never advocated a thread to be closed, but I do on this one.

Just know I'll be wearing my REDS cap in St. Louis during the Mid-August series.

For good measure I'm bringing a "REDSZONE" sign to the Wednesday and Thursday games. (I'll probably not be close enough to be on TV,...behind home plate, 2nd deck.

Swampturkey
07-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I've never advocated a thread to be closed, but I do on this one.

Just know I'll be wearing my REDS cap in St. Louis during the Mid-August series.

What section you going to be in? I have season tickets in the upper upper upper deck, first base side, but at least it's in the park. ;)

As to the person who asked about us having a thread like this on the Cards board every year...we do when we have a large lead in the division in early September but we've never had one before August!

oregonred
07-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Lock it, at least until August 17th.

Reds play the Cards 7 times from Aug 7-17th. Let's hope the prior '06 seasonal head to head beatings continue and that the boys are within decent range when the fun begins.

Eric_Davis
07-21-2006, 06:47 PM
What section you going to be in? I have season tickets in the upper upper upper deck, first base side, but at least it's in the park. ;)

As to the person who asked about us having a thread like this on the Cards board every year...we do when we have a large lead in the division in early September but we've never had one before August!

Wednesday, 8/16's game I'll be in Sec. 349, Row 6, Seat 17, and in
Thursday's 8/17 game, I'll be in Sec. 348, Row 6, Seat 19.

boobhat
07-21-2006, 07:01 PM
i hate the cardinals and jim edmonds

remdog
07-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Personally, I think this thread should have been started on opening day. Heck it's never too early for 'magic numbers' for other teams, right? (Sarcasm all over the place.) Heck, let's start a first game of the World Series thread, or maybe an opening of ST '07 thread.....:thumbdown

Rem

wheels
07-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Dudes, I'm down with it.

This could start a winning streak.

Let's keep it alive.