PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

GAC
07-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Being one of the last to get rid of his 8-tracks, I am investigating getting XM radio. But I honestly know little about it.

I want something inexpensive and portable that I can use in both my home and car.

I have nothing in my home (stereo-wise) that is XM-ready. I did recently put a nice Pioneer stereo super-tuner CD system in my car. I'm assuming that it can be adapted to receive XM?

Once I get the euqipment, then I have to pay a monthly subscription price right? Around 12.95/month?

Is the XM lineup pretty much a set lineup (like cable TV)? Or would I be able to pick up radio stations such as WLW700?

I'd appreciate any input and assistance.

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2006, 07:20 AM
The XM lineup is a set lineup. They sometimes will add a station but it does not happen too often. Here is the current channel lineup:
http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number

The price is 12.95 a month for a subscription.

As far as a portable unit you can use in both your home and car I would recommend a Myfi which is a portable unit that comes with a home kit, car kit and you can also use it as just a portable unit with headphones.

Other cheap units include the Roady2, Skyfi2. With those depending on how they are sold you have to buy seperate home kits or car kits.

As far as hooking into your stereo I am not sure exactly what kind you have but these radios can play over an FM frequency in your car or if you have an AUX input they can be hooked up through that or through a cassette adapter.

A very good site for XM info is XM411.com. That site also includes a store which is probably the best place I have found to buy XM equipment. They have good prices and always ship items out quickly. You can also buy XM equipment at Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Walmart and others.

If you have any other questions let me know.

cumberlandreds
07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
I bought XM back in March. I have really liked it. I went cheap and got the Audiovox for the car. I was like you and didn't have anything XM ready for the home. So I bought a boombox. I bought all of this at Wal-Mart. The receiver and car kit was $49 and the boombox was $99. They offer nearly every kind of music you can think of. I like the 40's,60's,70's and 80's stations and the easy listening station on channel 78. Of course they all MLB games. This was the main reason I bought XM. It's great being able to listen to the Reds or anyone else when the game is being played. I will probably upgrade someday to their new receiver and MP3 player. IIRC it's about $300 now, so hopefully it will come down in price in the future. I think the $12.95 a month is well worth it and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

reds1869
07-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Is the XM lineup pretty much a set lineup (like cable TV)? Or would I be able to pick up radio stations such as WLW700?

It's a set lineup, but one of the stations is 700 WLW. :) I love my XM; I'm listening to Baseball This Morning as I type this. I have one of teh original Delphi receivers and it works just great. Whatever you get--even the cheapest kit--will be wonderful. My dad has a Roady and loves it.

GAC
07-20-2006, 08:26 AM
The XM lineup is a set lineup. They sometimes will add a station but it does not happen too often. Here is the current channel lineup:
http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number

The price is 12.95 a month for a subscription.

As far as a portable unit you can use in both your home and car I would recommend a Myfi which is a portable unit that comes with a home kit, car kit and you can also use it as just a portable unit with headphones.

Other cheap units include the Roady2, Skyfi2. With those depending on how they are sold you have to buy seperate home kits or car kits.

As far as hooking into your stereo I am not sure exactly what kind you have but these radios can play over an FM frequency in your car or if you have an AUX input they can be hooked up through that or through a cassette adapter.

A very good site for XM info is XM411.com. That site also includes a store which is probably the best place I have found to buy XM equipment. They have good prices and always ship items out quickly. You can also buy XM equipment at Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Walmart and others.

If you have any other questions let me know.

In my car I have the following Pioneer model....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RgdXkh0s3pw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130DEH2800

It looks like it is not adaptable for XM, so I'm probably SOL there.

How about recommendations on a portable home unit?

Would going the route that cumberland did above be the best route?

What is XM radio Online?

http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp

Probably not what I want if my main goal is to listen to Reds/baseball?

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 08:31 AM
It's the better of the two, an not just because of MLB. I have both (I know... I'm a geek). I love MLB, but I also love the SEC and Sirius has the SEC contract.

Get the XM... I have the Roady with the boom box and I also have it in my new truck.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe if you activate online, they wave the activation fee and it's only 9.95 a month. At least it was when I got my Roady this past Christmas.

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 08:31 AM
What is XM radio Online?

Only the music channels are available online.

GAC
07-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I bought XM back in March. I have really liked it. I went cheap and got the Audiovox for the car. I was like you and didn't have anything XM ready for the home. So I bought a boombox. I bought all of this at Wal-Mart. The receiver and car kit was $49 and the boombox was $99. They offer nearly every kind of music you can think of. I like the 40's,60's,70's and 80's stations and the easy listening station on channel 78. Of course they all MLB games. This was the main reason I bought XM. It's great being able to listen to the Reds or anyone else when the game is being played. I will probably upgrade someday to their new receiver and MP3 player. IIRC it's about $300 now, so hopefully it will come down in price in the future. I think the $12.95 a month is well worth it and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

That sounds right up my alley cumberland.

I'm assuming, since my car stereo system is not XM "capatible", and I therefore want to go with a home setup, I just need to get a receiver and Boombox with an auxilary jack?

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2006, 08:38 AM
In my car I have the following Pioneer model....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RgdXkh0s3pw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130DEH2800

It looks like it is not adaptable for XM, so I'm probably SOL there.

How about recommendations on a portable home unit?

Would going the route that cumberland did above be the best route?

What is XM radio Online?

The kit he mentioned is one thing you can use. One thing I like about the Myfi is it comes with car kits and home kits. Currently they are selling that for $129 through that XM411 site. With home kits they come with antennas and you can hook them up and play them through your receiver at home. A lot of radios like the Audivox or the Skyfi and Roadys have boomboxes you can buy to use them with.

With your car stereo you will probably need to use the FM frequency in your car to play the XM. The car kits come with different mounting options you can put it on your dash or clip it on your vents.

XM radio online comes with your account. That allows you to listen to most of the XM stations on your computer. The online includes the music stations and some other stations. The live MLB games are not carried online.

GAC
07-20-2006, 08:40 AM
How about this one guys?

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9

All I would need then, for in the home, is to buy a boombox right? But the boombox has to be "XM ready".

I'm also looking at something like this to (if it would work)...

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1964

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
How about this one guys?

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9

All I would need then, for in the home, is to buy a boombox right?

That one looks like it comes with a home setup and you have to add a car setup. That one is one of older XM units. The new ones are much smaller. I would probably recommend against that one just because it is harder to find a good place to mount that one in your car because of its size. That one does not have a boombox.

This one on that site you were on has a car kit and a boombox for the Audiovox.

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2036

Also that connect and play antenna is only good for home use if you have a receiver that is already XM ready. Some of the newer home stereo systems come XM ready and you just need to add that antenna. That is really the only use for that would be if you had a receiver at home that was XM ready.

GAC
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
This one on that site you were on has a car kit and a boombox for the Audiovox.

Hey! Now I like that one - just for the boombox and being able to listen in my home.

But I don't think the car kit will work in either one of my cars because the systems are not XM Ready.

I have a 97 Mercury Sable with a stock cassette/CD player... and in my other car (which I drive mainly), I just put a new Pioneer system in (see my above post on that). And it too looks like it won't take XM or is XM Ready.

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey! Now I like that one - just for the boombox and being able to listen in my home.

But I don't think the car kit will work in either one of my cars because the systems are not XM Ready.

I have a 97 Mercury Sable with a stock cassette/CD player... and in my other car (which I drive mainly), I just put a new Pioneer system in (see my above post on that). And it too looks like it won't take XM.
With the Audiovox receiver, all you have to do is pick an FM frequency for your car stereo and match it up with the XM receiver and the XM comes out through your car stereo... that doesn't make much sense, does it???

EDIT: All you need is any FM stereo receiver.

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2006, 08:54 AM

I have a 97 Mercury Sable with a stock cassette/CD player... and in my other car (which I drive mainly), I just put a new Pioneer system in (see my above post on that). And it too looks like it won't take XM or is XM Ready.
You can play that in either car. The one with the cassette player you can use the cassette adapter that comes with the car kit. For the one with the Pioneer system the XM radio play through your FM. On the XM radios you pick a FM frequency like 97.9 for example then you set your Car radio to that FM frequency and the XM plays on that frequency.

GAC
07-20-2006, 08:58 AM
You can play that in either car. The one with the cassette player you can use the cassette adapter that comes with the car kit. For the one with the Pioneer system the XM radio play through your FM. On the XM radios you pick a FM frequency like 97.9 for example then you set your Car radio to that FM frequency and the XM plays on that frequency.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks alot for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

I live in a mid-sized town. We have a Super Walmarts, and they do carry XM Radio systems. I'm gonna go check them out (anxious to get one).

But if I can't get a deal there, I'll probably order the Audiovox listed above....

But I don't need the home kit with this one, right? The boombox fulfills that need? I just need to get the subscription once I make the purchase.

Thanks again!

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 09:01 AM
We have a Super Walmarts, and they do carry XM Radio systems.
Feed the Beast!!!

Reds Fanatic
07-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds good to me.

Thanks alot for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

I live in a mid-sized town. We have a Super Walmarts, and they do carry XM Radio systems. I'm gonna go check them out (anxious to get one).

But if I can't get a deal there, I'll probably order the Audiovox listed above....

But I don't need the home kit with this one?

Thanks again!

No won't need a home kit because that comes with the boombox. I just found an even better deal. You can get that whole set with the boombox for $99. This is that store from the XM411 site they are a good store that ships fast. Here is the link.

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receivers/jxr9-xb9-jxm90h-xm-radio-bundle-jensen-audiovox.html

GAC
07-20-2006, 09:28 AM
No won't need a home kit because that comes with the boombox. I just found an even better deal. You can get that whole set with the boombox for $99. This is that store from the XM411 site they are a good store that ships fast. Here is the link.

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receivers/jxr9-xb9-jxm90h-xm-radio-bundle-jensen-audiovox.html

Man Reds Fanatic!

I'm gonna have to add you to my Christmas card list! :lol:

Thanks alot!

GAC
07-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Feed the Beast!!!

Living in a small town, with not many options - we do every week to the tune of about $200 (groceries).

And the Beast is my 17 yr old son who will eat anything that doesn't move! :lol:

goreds2
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Man Reds Fanatic!

I'm gonna have to add you to my Christmas card list! :lol:

Thanks alot!

GAC,

I have had XM Radio for 20 months and have enjoyed every day of it. 700WLW is offered on the XM radio lineup but they cannot broadcast the Reds or Bengals game on the WLW channel XM 173. It is great for the pre and post game shows which XM can broadcast. I record these almost daily on my XM MyFi in the event I cannot listen at the current time it is on.

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receivers/myfi-sa10113.html

Here is some information and questions you may have regarding WLW on XM:

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/XM173.html

As you know XM broadcasts all MLB games. One note is that only the home team broadcast is provided. Say the Reds are playing in St. Louis, you will hear the Cardinals broadcast team. If the Reds are at home, you will hear Marty and Steve. The HOMEPLATE station (XM175) is a 24/7 talk show even during the OFF-SEASON! Here is some information on that.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=175

Your XM radio you choose will wirelessly go through ANY FM stereo. All you do is program your XM receiver to an FM station then you tune your regular FM stereo to that assigned station number.

If you are not comfortable installing your XM radio in your car, Best Buy will do it for around $45. I had them install mine.

Please remember, indoors you normally cannot get a signal where ever you set it up. You will probably have to have the XM antenna facing south via a window. Sometimes, you may not need a window though.

For the beginner, you should probably take Reds Fanatic advice and buy the BUNDLE deal for $99. That is a great deal. If recording things is a high priority, the MyFi is a great device (I have two). As Reds Fanatic also said, the
XM411.com website is very good. XMFAN.com is also another very good site.

Good luck in your choce. Any question(s), please ask.

cumberlandreds
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
That sounds right up my alley cumberland.

I'm assuming, since my car stereo system is not XM "capatible", and I therefore want to go with a home setup, I just need to get a receiver and Boombox with an auxilary jack?

If you have an FM radio in your car and a cigarette lighter you are set. You just plug in the cradle to the cigarette lighter and tune your fm radio to the best frequency. Mine is 107.9. Your owners manual will tell what frequencies are best. Everything you need for the boombox comes with it. It can be battery operated or electric. FYI the Batteries don't last long so going the electric route is best. You can also use the Roady receiver in the boombox if decide to buy that type of receiver. I think the Roady is about the same price as the Audiovox.
Like others have said you can activate online cheaper and it only takes a few minutes to kick in. XM online only has music stations,no MLB games or talk radio. I haven't used it very much. Enjoy!

redsfanfalcon
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Have you guys noticed they have some ads on the music only channels now? I am a little disappointed about that...that was a big selling point to me, but I still like it.

goreds2
07-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Have you guys noticed they have some ads on the music only channels now? I am a little disappointed about that...that was a big selling point to me, but I still like it.

The ads are on the CLEAR CHANNEL music stations only (I think 6 of them). The Clear Channel stations will have a CM on your XM Receiver screen. There normally are only 2 minutes of commericals per hour. When I hear a commerical, I just grin to myself and go to another station.

six or seven years ago, Clear Channel invested around 75 million dollars to help start up XM radio. This was (I think) part of the agreement.

IslandRed
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
In some cases, when those Clear Channel-programmed channels added commercials, XM just added another similar ad-free channel.

RBA
07-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I got the TAO XM to go. It has vehcle and home kit. When I get a rental car, I justt a take the home kit antenna and put it on the dash. I don't even bother to mount the antenna outside. For most of the time I get a signal. Plus the XM2GO has a rechargeble battery that makes it portable. I can take it on walks, listen to the game while my kids are on amusement park ride, etc.

goreds2
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
In some cases, when those Clear Channel-programmed channels added commercials, XM just added another similar ad-free channel.

You are correct. :thumbup: (I forgot to mention that.)

goreds2
07-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I got the TAO XM to go. It has vehcle and home kit. When I get a rental car, I justt a take the home kit antenna and put it on the dash. I don't even bother to mount the antenna outside. For most of the time I get a signal. Plus the XM2GO has a rechargeble battery that makes it portable. I can take it on walks, listen to the game while my kids are on amusement park ride, etc.

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it. :)

deltachi8
07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
GAC - thanks for this topic.

Over the weekend, I did a friend a favor and drove her car to Texas (she has moved there) and got hooked on XM during the ride. I have ot some good ideas from this thread as well as some on slickdeals.com

Thanks everyone for your input.

goreds2
07-22-2006, 11:17 PM
With the Reds contending, it is also awesome to have XM to get immediate updates on scores and even listen to another game that has impact on the Reds lead in the wildcard etc.

XM also has receivers that has a scrolling scoreboard on whatever teams you want to set up.

You can also activate a stock ticker which I am sure Tracy Jones has.

StillFunkyB
07-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I have the Delphi RoadyXT.

I love it, however I think the music stations on Sirius are a bit better. The only problem with that is that baseball is not on Sirius. That has just been my observation.

I think what I am going to do is buy a Sirius radio as well, and just switch after baseball season is over. Sirius has that darn Foosball.

Rob Dicken
07-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I have the Delphi RoadyXT.

I love it, however I think the music stations on Sirius are a bit better. The only problem with that is that baseball is not on Sirius. That has just been my observation.

I think what I am going to do is buy a Sirius radio as well, and just switch after baseball season is over. Sirius has that darn Foosball.

Good choice.

Other than the MLB channels, XM is pretty crap.

I've used both, and Sirius is the much better satellite radio, completely, hands down. Better music stations, talk shows (Howard Stern), and even Comedy is great.

And yes, FOOTBALL!!! :D

reds1869
07-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Other than the MLB channels, XM is pretty crap.

??? XM is great for news and talk. I use my own CDs/MP3s for music, so I'll admit I don't listen to the music channels much.

Yachtzee
07-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I love XM and enjoy the music channels, but I primarily listen to baseball and their coverage of the World Cup was excellent. I don't really care about Howard Stern. I lost interest in him after I got out of my early 20s. But I do wish they had football and more soccer coverage. They have the Big Ten for football and basketball as well. If they could just get baseball, football, and the English Premiership under one satellite umbrella, I would be in heaven.

Rob Dicken
07-23-2006, 01:37 PM
??? XM is great for news and talk. I use my own CDs/MP3s for music, so I'll admit I don't listen to the music channels much.

Really? Most of the talk stations I have heard on there, are on Sirius as well. From what I have experienced, XM has a lot of FM stations on there, as I believe 700wlw is on there as well. Most of these stations still carry over the advertisements....why pay a monthly fee for advertisements?

In all honesty, I would pay the $10-12 a month for Sirius, JUST for Howard Stern....but they have some of the best Entertainment channels (Blue Collar Comedy, Raw Dog Comedy, E!) and music channels (Jimmy Buffett even has his own channel) I have ever experienced (on both Satellite Radios).

XM is good for a certain aspect, as I mentioned....MLB.

reds1869
07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Really? Most of the talk stations I have heard on there, are on Sirius as well. From what I have experienced, XM has a lot of FM stations on there, as I believe 700wlw is on there as well. Most of these stations still carry over the advertisements....why pay a monthly fee for advertisements?

Most of them may also be on Sirius, but that doesn't mean XM is "crap." If you're like me and you've already invested in XM equipment and love the baseball coverage there is absolutely no reason to switch. As long as XM can keep BBC World Service, their current news/sports/talk lineup and MLB that is plenty for me to stay with them. I could care less about Howard Stern and I've never really listened to the music stations anyway (except for the fact that i love Frank's Place and the 40s on 40).

Rob Dicken
07-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Most of them may also be on Sirius, but that doesn't mean XM is "crap." If you're like me and you've already invested in XM equipment and love the baseball coverage there is absolutely no reason to switch. As long as XM can keep BBC World Service, their current news/sports/talk lineup and MLB that is plenty for me to stay with them. I could care less about Howard Stern and I've never really listened to the music stations anyway (except for the fact that i love Frank's Place and the 40s on 40).

I wasn't telling anyone to switch. Just giving my insight on the two brands....

My opinion is that it is crap, aside from it's Baseball coverage, on an entertainment and music aspect as opposed to XM. If you've already invested in it, and like you said, don't listen to the music stations and could care less about Howard Stern, then stick with what you got. If you want a more wide variety, switch to Sirius, it's well worth it.

deltachi8
07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I ordered my XM kit today through the link provided earlier. Since MLB is the MAIN reason I am doing this, Sirius wasnt a consideration.

$99 is a nice deal for the complete bundle!

Yachtzee
07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I ordered my XM kit today through the link provided earlier. Since MLB is the MAIN reason I am doing this, Sirius wasnt a consideration.

$99 is a nice deal for the complete bundle!

You will definitely enjoy the baseball coverage. :beerme:

Just an observation, but I get the impression that the whole Sirius v. XM debate is taking on a "Mac v. PC" air. I've noticed that the people my wife works with who have Sirius all swear by it and say its way better than XM. Most of them got in because of Stern. There is a whole "Sirius is way better than XM" vibe to them. The XM listeners I know are all pretty ambivalent toward Stern and got XM because it had baseball or else they just didn't like broadcast radio anymore. They tend to say that satellite radio is better than broadcast and have no strong feelings for or against Sirius. For me it was all about MLB as well. Whoever has MLB has me as a customer.

The only negative thing about Sirius that I've heard, other than "no baseball," is that Sirius has more reception problems than XM. I have zero experience with Sirius so I don't know personally, but I've heard they don't have the network of ground-based signal repeaters that XM has.

StillFunkyB
07-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I could care less about Howard Stern.

I do like WLW being on XM. Listening to it every so often.

I mostly listen to music, rock stations at that, and their rock station selections on XM are not all that great. I have heard Sirius, and liked what I heard better.

I think I am going to go with the half and half, as soon as baseball is over I will switch, then when baseball starts back up I will switch back.

Jpup
07-24-2006, 12:57 AM
I have the Delphi SkyFi2 with the car kit and the home kit. It's easy to take back and forth. I would recommend it highly.

jmcclain19
07-24-2006, 06:46 AM
I would tend to echo most of the comments here.

I own a Delphi SkyFi2 - I bought it with the car kit, and ended up purchasing the boom box for my office. I really haven't had any problems with it. By far my favorite feature has been the ability to pause live radio and play back songs. If you are on the road and want to hear again a song that played five songs ago (as long as you are on that same station) you can go back to it. If you get a business call while listening to an interview on MLB on XM, you can pause it, take the call, then unpause it and not miss a beat.

I also bought my wife the Pioneer XM2Go, and I have to say while the unit is nicely thought out and the functions are all as advertised, the internal antenna is absolutely awful. You can not get it to work even inside a car unless you plug it into an external antenna. My wife has taken it out for walks with the dog and she loses signals walking in between apartment buildings. For a "handheld" device there really isn't anything handheld about it. It does come with both a home kit and a car kit included in the package, and you will need to use both.

But I really enjoy XM. My former roommate as well as my brother has Sirius - and they have loads of signal issues. My brother lives in the northeast and says a blow of the wind can cause him to lose signal and my former roommate's could never get a full clear signal no matter what radio station he tried to broadcast thru.

The new Commerical filled stations are a drag, but an avoidable one. I never thought I would enjoy paying for radio but now I'll never go back.

The MLB on XM is a great station, albeit one that is different than your average sports talk radio station. I enjoy it, but don't mistake that it tends to be sugar coat central - don't expect railing on players, shock jocks or any real sort of negativity. During the whole Barry Bonds saga it's been sunshine and lollipops from the broadcast crew about it, which can be way over the top and is really my one big gripe. But I'll take that over idiotic smack talk any day of the week, and XM has the full gammut (ESPN,Fox, Sporting News) of talk radio if you feel the need.

Also, know that the only non-commerical part is 90 percent of the music stations. That's a bit of a misnomer that XM doesn't come right out and say. All of the standard AM fare, as well as all the talk and sports channels have commericals, just like normal.

Rob Dicken
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
But I really enjoy XM. My former roommate as well as my brother has Sirius - and they have loads of signal issues. My brother lives in the northeast and says a blow of the wind can cause him to lose signal and my former roommate's could never get a full clear signal no matter what radio station he tried to broadcast thru.

Never had that kind of problem. I've found that going under bridges and even on covered bridges will knock out the signal....or going under the cover of a gas station will also do that, but that's even common with XM. It's all about how the Sirius radio is mounted, whether it's in the car, or even in the house....if you're in a house, trying to gain signal through concrete floors, don't count on a very good signal, or one at all. LOL

goreds2
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I also bought my wife the Pioneer XM2Go, and I have to say while the unit is nicely thought out and the functions are all as advertised, the internal antenna is absolutely awful. You can not get it to work even inside a car unless you plug it into an external antenna. My wife has taken it out for walks with the dog and she loses signals walking in between apartment buildings. For a "handheld" device there really isn't anything handheld about it. It does come with both a home kit and a car kit included in the package, and you will need to use both.

I have a set of these antenna headphones which should help your wife while taking walks.

http://www.myradiostore.us/antennas-cables/for-myfi-xm2go/for-myfi-direct/myfi-headset-antenna-sa10161.html

Reds Fanatic
07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Another thing that improves portable reception for the MYfi is this antenna. This is a better antenna than the one that comes packaged with the MYFI.

http://www.myradiostore.us/antennas-cables/for-myfi-xm2go/for-myfi-direct/clip-2-personal-myfi-xm2go-antenna.html

goreds2
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM

My wife has this SIRIUS unit. It is a nice BASIC receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/102-1490624-9866546?url=search-alias%3Delectronics-aps&field-keywords=sirius+visor

flyer85
07-24-2006, 12:54 PM
GAC,

I have a extra Delphi SkyFi receiver if you are interested in joining the XM world. Send me a PM.

goreds2
07-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Just a reminder that the Hall Of Fame ceramony is on ESPN radio (XM140).

2006 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

ESPN Radio - XM 140 - 1:30 PM - 4PM ET
XM Satellite Radio brings you the 2006 Induction Ceremony featuring Bruce Sutter. ESPN Radio anchors the coverage on XM 140.

goreds2
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
XM had added a new sports channel starting later this month:

Original XM Shows Hosted By Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Cal Ripken, Jr., Coach Mike Krzyzewski, James Carville and Luke Russert to Be Featured on ‘XM Sports Nation’ Channel

‘XM Sports Nation’ Lineup to Feature Popular Content from Sporting News Radio and Original XM Sports Programming, Including New Daily Sports News Show

XM today announced the launch of “XM Sports Nation,” (XMSN) a dedicated 24-hour sports news and talk channel. The programming lineup for XMSN (XM channel 143) will incorporate existing XM-produced series, including shows hosted by Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Cal Ripken, Jr., Coach Mike Krzyzewski, James Carville and Luke Russert. To complement XM’s original sports programming, XM Sports Nation will feature popular content from Sporting News Radio, including shows from Tim Brando, Tony Bruno and Troy Aikman, among others. The channel will debut on XM’s programming lineup August 28.

XM will add several new shows to the lineup, including “XMSN This Morning,” a daily show featuring the latest in sports news, highlights, interviews and scores from the world of professional and collegiate sports. The weekday program will be hosted by XM personality T.J. Rives, current host of the original XM program “College Football Coast-to-Coast.” In addition to “XMSN This Morning,” the 24-hour sports news channel also will feature original XM shows dedicated to collegiate sports, motorsports, fantasy sports and more.

“With play-by-play broadcasts of more than 5,000 sporting events each year, XM is clearly the satellite radio leader in sports programming. ‘XM Sports Nation’ will provide fans with a primary destination for general sports news, commentary and original XM programming, as well as complement the broad range of professional and collegiate sports programming XM currently offers,” said Eric Logan, executive vice president of programming for XM Satellite Radio.

Logan continued, “This new channel represents the next phase in building a strong, independent sports media brand for XM that leverages our original programming with established third-party content, providing XM with an efficient and flexible way to offer subscribers a compelling listening experience.”

“We are excited to be working with XM on this new project. Sporting News Radio’s great personalities will fit in perfectly with the original programming XM will be providing for their listeners,” said Shawn Pastor, senior vice president of business development for Sporting News Radio.

A complete programming schedule for XMSN, including show descriptions and times, is available online at http://www.xmradio.com/xmsn.

from http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/?p=56

cumberlandreds
08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
For you old folks like me XM has brought back America's Top 40 hosted by Casey Kasem on the 70's and 80's channels. They had a marathon weekend of his old shows this past weekend. It was great going back to hear some of the old shows and songs. Even though the dedications still seem as sappy now as they did then. I'm not sure when they will regulary scheduled. I could n't find it on their website.
I found a link to when it's on. Looks like 10pm Wednesday and Thursday and noon on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/?page_id=36

Rob Dicken
08-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Sirius has just added Nascar coverage to their lineup ;)

For all those Nascar fans out there. :thumbup:

IslandRed
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Old news, kind of. They outbid XM for NASCAR race rights starting next year.

deltachi8
08-08-2006, 04:07 PM

Not sure how many left hand turns i can pictur ein my mind whilst listening to such coverage.

Yachtzee
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Now if XM could just pick up the Premiership and/or Champions League...

dabvu2498
08-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Now if XM could just pick up the Premiership and/or Champions League...
They did cover all the World Cup action.

Yachtzee
08-08-2006, 11:53 PM

Yes they did, and I loved it. But now I've got the jones for top flight association football. I sent them an email telling them how much I enjoyed their coverage and that I'd like to hear more.

goreds2
08-09-2006, 12:01 AM
For you old folks like me XM has brought back America's Top 40 hosted by Casey Kasem on the 70's and 80's channels. They had a marathon weekend of his old shows this past weekend. It was great going back to hear some of the old shows and songs. Even though the dedications still seem as sappy now as they did then. I'm not sure when they will regulary scheduled. I could n't find it on their website.
I found a link to when it's on. Looks like 10pm Wednesday and Thursday and noon on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/?page_id=36

CASEY KASEM:

70s every Sat. at Noon ET & Weds. 10PM ET
80s every Sun. at 10AM ET & Thurs. 10PM ET

deltachi8
08-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Thats the great thing about satellite radio. It offers so much more choice. I dont give a rats behind about soccer or NASCAR, but i have so man other choices, its great. I cant tell you how crazy it use to make me when I would turn on the local sports station to NSACAR tonight or something lese I had no interest in.

Now I just flip on XM 175 and smile.

goreds2
08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Now I just flip on XM 175 and smile.

"MLB Home Plate is your source for all things baseball."

:beerme:

goreds2
08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
For those considering XM Radio for the Reds playoff drive:

This is a great deal on an XM radio. It records 5 hours of music programming and about 8 hours of talk/Reds games. It comes with the home and car kit. The car kit has the cassette adaptor which is better sound quality than setting it up with an FM frequency. There is also an extra car kit for $9.99.

This entire setup is only $49.99 at COMPUSA (pick up only). I paid $188 for my portable MyFi last September which was a good deal at the time.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=0&Ntt=tao&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=tao&Dx=mode%20matchall

www.xmradio.com (You also get the MUSIC channels online via your XM account.)

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=175

OldRightHander
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM

My van has a cassette player and I run the XM through the cassette deck. I have the roady and it came with one of those cassette adapters. You can also run it over an unused FM frequency which works fine in the house. You can run it through any radio that way, not just one that is "XM ready."

Hollcat
08-20-2006, 02:35 AM
I use my XM roady through the FM radio in the car. I don't have the unit or the antenna mounted I just toss the antenna on the dash and lay the receiver unit in the seat or console and when I drive a different car it's easy to move. I also realized that the signal will brodcast from the receiver to the FM radio a pretty good distance ( at least across my front yard). It does this well enough that I can place the unit on the dash of my car in the driveway and use an FM radio in the house near a window and tune it to the set XM frequency and it picks up the signal.
Like several others have mentioned since baseball is on XM,sirius was never an option to me. NFL would be nice but thats only one day a week, Nascar I like OK but I don't think I've ever been anywhere that you couldn't pick up the race on at least three different stations with a regular radio anyway. I didn't know that the SEC was on sirius, I was hoping XM would get that.
Basically I listen to only MLB homeplate, the comedy channel 150, Ron and Fex or O & A on 202 and maybe some 80's and 90's country or classic rock. Also of course the Reds and other NL games.

KoryMac5
08-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Got XM radio for my father in law as a gift to help him along in his battle with cancer as he was laid up at home for many months. He loved the technology and being able to listen to a variety of news, music, talk, and sports. When he passed away in Febuary he bestowed the XM on me and I have cherished being able to listen to the Reds. Brought back old memories of waiting for it to get dark so I could try and bring WLW's signal in and listen to Marty and Joe. With XM signal is crystal clear. Between Sirius and XM you can't go wrong with either choose based on what you like to listen to. I would however be a bit concerned about Sirius and their financial stability. Their bidding seems to have gotten them well into the red even tough subscriptions continue to rise. Hopefully XM and Sirius merge and we can have the best of both worlds.

goreds2
09-16-2006, 06:42 PM
As I am writing this, Pete Rose is being interviewed on XM Radio (XM165). The show is called Costas On The Radio.

goreds2
09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
To those with XM radio and can record, these games are on XM175 the next two mornings. I am guessing it will be the LA and Okland broadcast teams since usually it is the home teams broadcast on XM. :(

September 25
3AM-6AM 1995 NLDS Game 1 Cincinnati at Los Angeles

September 26
3AM-6AM 1990 World Series Game 4 Cincinnati @ Oakland

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/xm_feature.jsp?ch=175&id=790

fadetoblack2880
09-24-2006, 09:59 PM
I've had an XM subscription for about three years now and love it. I've got a Roady XT in my car but plan on taking it out as soon as I decide to get a car kit for my Inno. The Inno's a bit pricey but so far I've found it to be worth it. And the fact that there is a baseball only station 24/7 is great. And when you do get it, check out Opie and Anthony on 202. They're hilarious.

goreds2
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
If anyone is interested and thinks we still have a slim shot, here are the channels the Cards and Astros play on tonight. (9/25/06)

09/25/2006 Astros @ Phillies 7:05PM ET XM 184

9/25/2006 White Sox @ Indians 7:05PM ET XM 177
Red Sox @ Blue Jays 7:07PM ET XM 179
Red Sox @ Blue Jays (español) 7:07PM ET XM 190
Nationals @ Mets 7:10PM ET XM 185
Yankees @ Devil Rays 7:15PM ET XM 176
Royals @ Twins 8:10PM ET XM 180

Padres @ Cardinals 8:10PM ET XM 187

Athletics @ Mariners 10:05PM ET XM 181
Rangers @ Angels 10:05PM ET XM 182
Diamondbacks @ Giants 10:15PM ET XM 189
Diamondbacks @ Giants (español) 10:15PM ET XM 190

goreds2
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
This weeks Playoff Schedule on XM:

10/3/2006
Athletics @ Twins 1:00PM ET XM 176
Athletics @ Twins 1:00PM ET XM 188
Cardinals @ Padres 4:00PM ET XM 189
Cardinals @ Padres 4:00PM ET XM 183
Tigers @ Yankees (español) 8:00PM ET XM 190
Tigers @ Yankees 8:00PM ET XM 177
Tigers @ Yankees 8:00PM ET XM 188

10/4/2006
Athletics @ Twins 1:00PM ET XM 188
Athletics @ Twins 1:00PM ET XM 176
Dodgers @ Mets 4:00PM ET XM 189
Dodgers @ Mets 4:00PM ET XM 184
Tigers @ Yankees (español) 8:00PM ET XM 190
Tigers @ Yankees 8:00PM ET XM 177
Tigers @ Yankees 8:00PM ET XM 188

10/5/2006
Cardinals @ Padres 4:00PM ET XM 188
Cardinals @ Padres 4:00PM ET XM 183
Dodgers @ Mets (español) 8:00PM ET XM 190
Dodgers @ Mets 8:00PM ET XM 184
Dodgers @ Mets 8:00PM ET XM 189

10/6/2006
Twins @ Athletics 4:00PM ET XM 188
Twins @ Athletics 4:00PM ET XM 176
Yankees @ Tigers (español) 8:00PM ET XM 190
Yankees @ Tigers 8:00PM ET XM 189
Yankees @ Tigers 8:00PM ET XM 177

goreds2
11-06-2006, 08:18 PM
A new baseball show on XM175:

XM 175: Baseball Confidential: Every Thursday 6pm With Encores

Baseball Confidential: David Ortiz
Thursday, November 9 - 6 PM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175

In the style of Artist Confidential, XM presents Baseball Confidential, a series of one-on-one interviews held in front of a live studio audience with players, managers, and legendary broadcasters who will share their stories off the field and outside the broadcast booth. Baseball Confidential will feature a new guest every week: David Ortiz, Ernie Harwell, Cal Ripken Jr., Tommy Lasorda, Jon Miller, and more. Listen to the stories you won't want to miss on Baseball Confidential!

This week, meet David Ortiz. From his roots in the Dominican Republic to his career in the Majors, Ortiz recalls the first game he went to with his uncle as well as the time he won the 2004 World Series.

Encores:

Friday, 11/10 - 9 PM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Saturday, 11/11 - 9 AM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Sunday, 11/12 - 11 AM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Sunday, 11/12 - 8 AM and 11 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143
Monday, 11/13 - 3 PM and 7 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143
Tuesday, 11/14 - 7 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelguide.xmc?ch=175

goreds2
11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
If anyone is thinking about getting XM Radio for Christmas, this is a great deal. (It records over 5 hours of XM Content)

$89.98

http://store.xmfanstore.com/taoxm2go.html

Remember, it has a 24/7 baseball channel plus all MLB Home broadcasts. (If the Reds play in Houston, you get Houston's broadcast team)

OldRightHander
12-02-2006, 09:09 PM
If anyone is thinking about getting XM Radio for Christmas, this is a great deal. (It records over 5 hours of XM Content)

$89.98

http://store.xmfanstore.com/taoxm2go.html

Remember, it has a 24/7 baseball channel plus all MLB Home broadcasts. (If the Reds play in Houston, you get Houston's broadcast team)

That's the one I have. It's pretty nice except that the display is a bit dim on sunny days. The recording feature is nice though.

goreds2
12-07-2006, 12:06 PM
A new baseball show on XM175:

XM 175: Baseball Confidential: Every Thursday 6pm With Encores

Baseball Confidential: David Ortiz
Thursday, November 9 - 6 PM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175

In the style of Artist Confidential, XM presents Baseball Confidential, a series of one-on-one interviews held in front of a live studio audience with players, managers, and legendary broadcasters who will share their stories off the field and outside the broadcast booth. Baseball Confidential will feature a new guest every week: David Ortiz, Ernie Harwell, Cal Ripken Jr., Tommy Lasorda, Jon Miller, and more. Listen to the stories you won't want to miss on Baseball Confidential!

This week, meet David Ortiz. From his roots in the Dominican Republic to his career in the Majors, Ortiz recalls the first game he went to with his uncle as well as the time he won the 2004 World Series.

Encores:

Friday, 11/10 - 9 PM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Saturday, 11/11 - 9 AM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Sunday, 11/12 - 11 AM ET on MLB Home Plate - XM 175
Sunday, 11/12 - 8 AM and 11 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143
Monday, 11/13 - 3 PM and 7 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143
Tuesday, 11/14 - 7 PM ET on XM Sports Nation - XM 143

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelguide.xmc?ch=175

Tonight (12/7/06), Cal Ripken Jr. is the guest.

goreds2
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
This Week on XM:

1/10/07:

Reds Hot Stove League on XM 173 (WLW) 6:05 PM - 7PM.

Games Below on XM175:

January 13
3-6AM ET: Replay of Radio Broadcast of the1979 NLCS Game 2 Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

January 19
3-6AM ET: 1990 World Series Game 4 Cincinnati @ Oakland (Oakland broadcast)

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/features/mlb-classicgames.xmc

goreds2
03-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I have been LOVING this new channel since launched yesterday. :beerme:

Sirius XM Radio announced today that it will launch “Simon & Garfunkel Radio,” the commercial-free music channel featuring music and rare interviews celebrating the release of the critically-acclaimed and generation-defining album*Bridge Over Troubled Water: *40th Anniversary Edition.

“Simon & Garfunkel Radio” will launch on*Friday, March 4*at*6:00 pm ET*and will run through*Friday, March 18*on Sirius channel 113 and XM channel 38.

The limited-run channel will feature music spanning*Paul Simon*and*Art Garfunkel’s careers, including music from the duo’s Grammy Award-winning catalog as well as solo music from both iconic artists. Listeners will hear*Paul Simon*and*Art Garfunkel*discuss*Bridge Over Troubled Water: *40th Anniversary Edition, scheduled to be released on*March 8, as well as the original historic recording sessions, the duo’s famous performance in*Central Park, and the music that influenced them, including some of their earliest recordings together as Tom & Jerry.

“Simon & Garfunkel’s music still resonates today; they are living legends and cultural icons,” said*Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM. “Our channel will play their hits as well as the rarities, providing a full musical picture of these important artists. It’s the kind of wonderful, deep and comprehensive look at artists that only SiriusXM can provide.”

Simon & Garfunkel’s*Bridge Over Troubled Water: 40th Anniversary Edition, thedeluxe DVD+CD set, includes the original 11-song album plus the duo’s never-before-commercially-available*“Songs Of America” CBS*television special from 1969 on DVD. The DVD will also include*The Harmony Game: The Making of Bridge Over Troubled Water,*a newly-created documentary on*Bridge Over Troubled Water featuring new interviews with*Paul Simon*and*Art Garfunkel.

The channel will also be available on SiriusXM Internet Radio on Limited Engagements, and through the SiriusXM App for the Apple iPhone, iPod touch and several BlackBerry and Android-powered smartphone devices starting*Friday, March 4*for an extended period.

“Simon & Garfunkel Radio” is the latest example of SiriusXM’s original artist-branded channels dedicated to iconic musicians. In addition to its current lineup of*Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Radio, Elvis Radio and Radio Margaritaville,SiriusXM has previously offered channels such as “Paul McCartney’s*Band on the Run Radio,” “Elton!,” “The Who Channel,” “Mandatory Metallica,” “Paul McCartney’s Fireman Radio,” “Rolling Stones Radio,” “AC/DC Radio,” “Led Zeppelin Radio,” “Miles Davis Radio,” “The Spectrum of*John Mellencamp,” “Radio R.E.M.,” “Coldplay Nation,” “ABBA Radio,” “Jay-Z Nation,” “Garth Brooks Radio” and “Duran Duran*’s Red Carpet Radio.”

For more information on Simon & Garfunkel, visit*www.simonandgarfunkel.com