PDA

View Full Version : Willis to the Cards?

edabbs44
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
This would hurt. If Florida wants this much, Cincy never would have been in the mix.

The Cardinals message boards are lighting up, and with good reason: there is a legitimate Dontrelle Willis rumor making the rounds.

The thread was started by a respected Cards source who goes by the handle Hawg Wild. I can confirm that this guy has a track record of success. Colby Rasmus is a 19 year-old outfielder in high Class A. He was a first-round pick and is easily the team's best prospect now that Anthony Reyes is in the bigs. According to Rasmus's father:

"Colby just called me and said his agent told him of conversations the cardinals were having with the possibility of Colby and a three or four other Cardinal players going to Florida in return for Dontrelle Willis. Reyes and Colby were the only 2 players Colby was told about, he did not hear who the other 2/3 players were. His words to me, 'Man that sucks.'"

Then to quiet any doubters, St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz stepped in:

"I tried to drop a major hint in today's column....FLA wants Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan -- and that's not all. Probably one more... possibly their pick of the Cardinals' system."

The Cardinals need a big move; it looks like Walt Jocketty may package everything he's got to get D-Train.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

George Foster
07-21-2006, 12:15 AM
This would really hurt. With Kearns and Lopez now gone, there is not a package we could put together get Willis. I have been wanting Willis all season. I think Phillips, Bailey, and EE could have gotten Willis. But now, after the trade we could not afford to to this.

Krusty
07-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. I think the Fishes have every intentions of building their young rotation around Willis.

RedLegSuperStar
07-21-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. I think the Fishes have every intentions of building their young rotation around Willis.

I hope so..

Gainesville Red
07-21-2006, 12:32 AM

Personally, I hope they're trying to build their young team around Eric Milton or Rich Aurilia. A couple of solid vets for the young guys to learn how to play to game from.

(Is that too much to ask, should I not hold my breath?)

RedLegSuperStar
07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Personally, I hope they're trying to build their young team around Eric Milton or Rich Aurilia. A couple of solid vets for the young guys to learn how to play to game from.

(Is that too much to ask, should I not hold my breath?)

Maybe Royce Clayton, Jason LaRue, and Scott Hatteberg would be part of those plans as well?

Falls City Beer
07-21-2006, 12:50 AM
I like Jocketty's method: pimp some minor league sculch hard to put a MLB team on the field.

It's never not worked for the guy.

oregonred
This would really hurt. With Kearns and Lopez now gone, there is not a package we could put together get Willis. I have been wanting Willis all season. I think Phillips, Bailey, and EE could have gotten Willis. But now, after the trade we could not afford to to this.

Why not throw in Dunn while you are at it... No way I would trade those three for Willis...

Cards would be able to sign him to a LTC much easier than the Reds.

oregonred
I like Jocketty's method: pimp some minor league sculch hard to put a MLB team on the field.

It's never not worked for the guy.

Mulder, Mark

Falls City Beer
07-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Mulder, Mark

Eh. He's hurt. And he did a bang-up job last season, let's not forget.

He'll be back.

RedsIn07
07-21-2006, 01:05 AM

He'll be back.
And Dan Haren will probably out preform him.

oregonred
07-21-2006, 01:14 AM

He'll be back.

We'll see, he's really not been the same since before he started having hip issues in Oakland. He's been under a 5 K/9 IP and a 1.6K/BB since arriving in STL -- by some on this board those metrics would qualify him for DFA status... Put him behind the Reds defensive circus/limited range bunch and watch that ERA skyrocket even further

Cards have the luxury of being a large revenue team (thanks to the 3M+ they routinely pull in the gate). They can take a bigger chance on an impending mega-FA since it is almost 100% assured they take on no risk of retaining the prize. Plus they can go into the FA market and fill any critical gaps (which is 3/5s of their rotation these days).

Assuring the Reds could keep Willis, it makes trading a Bailey a lot less painful.

KronoRed
07-21-2006, 01:47 AM
They would be fools to turn down an offer of talent like that.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Reyes has better stuff than Willis, and makes several million dollars less per year.

Jpup
07-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Reyes has better stuff than Willis, and makes several million dollars less per year.

I know it's objective, but I just can't see anything resembling that.

SirFelixCat
07-21-2006, 03:32 AM
If I'm a Fish fan, I'm ALL over that. I'd love that trade. Hell, as a Reds fan, I like that. I really don't think Willis is the end-all-be-all that many on here think he is. Don't get me wrong, he makes the Cards better, sure. But at what cost? He improves their rotation, but by how much? Losing Reyes...isn't that damn near a wash?!?

Jpup
07-21-2006, 03:34 AM
If I'm a Fish fan, I'm ALL over that. I'd love that trade. Hell, as a Reds fan, I like that. I really don't think Willis is the end-all-be-all that many on here think he is. Don't get me wrong, he makes the Cards better, sure. But at what cost? He improves their rotation, but by how much? Losing Reyes...isn't that damn near a wash?!?

Reyes is not equal or even close to Willis. Willis was the runner up the Cy Young last season, he strikes a ton of guys out, what's not to like. He would be a great Red IMO.

Homer, Deno, and fodder for Dontrelle Willis. I would be all over it.

WVRed
07-21-2006, 07:24 AM

He'll be back.

Daric Barton is looking pretty good too.

Jocketty got hosed in that deal.

Phhhl
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I've seen Reyes pitch a couple of times. He has decent stuff, but he's no Dontrelle Willis. He'd probably do just fine pitching in Miami's ballpark, but so would a lot of pitchers. To call Willis for Reyes a "wash"... well, I just can't agree with that at all.

I really don't see any glaring needs for the Marlins, which is strange to say about a team who is struggling in the standings. They're going to be good again very soon, and I don't understand why they wouldn't just hold on to Willis and Cabrera until they make their next run.

ramp101
07-21-2006, 11:50 AM
I've seen Reyes pitch a couple of times. He has decent stuff, but he's no Dontrelle Willis. He'd probably do just fine pitching in Miami's ballpark, but so would a lot of pitchers. To call Willis for Reyes a "wash"... well, I just can't agree with that at all.

I really don't see any glaring needs for the Marlins, which is strange to say about a team who is struggling in the standings. They're going to be good again very soon, and I don't understand why they wouldn't just hold on to Willis and Cabrera until they make their next run.
CF and a catcher for the future.... other than that, they're set for the next 10 years

Chip R
07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
CF and a catcher for the future.... other than that, they're set for the next 10 years

Or until they are arbitration eligible. ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
If this happens, I'll go with St. Louis over Detroit in 7.

Even if it doesn't, I got a weird feeling that St. Louis gets theirs this year and wins it all.

They are due and anything can happen once you get in the playoffs.

Red Leader
07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Reyes is not equal or even close to Willis. Willis was the runner up the Cy Young last season, he strikes a ton of guys out, what's not to like. He would be a great Red IMO.

Homer, Deno, and fodder for Dontrelle Willis. I would be all over it.

No, he doesn't. His K rates have been on the decline for years now. Dontrelle Willis is not worth more than a teams single best pitching prospect, IMO. Dontrelle for Bailey, fine (I wouldn't do it, but it could be argued it's a fair trade). Dontrelle for Bailey +, no way. The Cards would be heavily overpaying if this rumor is true.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
No, he doesn't. His K rates have been on the decline for years now. Dontrelle Willis is not worth more than a teams single best pitching prospect, IMO. Dontrelle for Bailey, fine (I wouldn't do it, but it could be argued it's a fair trade). Dontrelle for Bailey +, no way. The Cards would be heavily overpaying if this rumor is true.

I agree completely. I wouldn't mind the Cards getting Willis, but it would take more than I would like for them to give up, so no thanks. Reyes is too good, young, and cheap to trade for Willis. Not to mention both Duncan and Rasmus being included in the deal.

PuffyPig
07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I hope the Cards trade Reyes plus those others for Willis. Will it make the Cards better this year? Sure it will, but it will weaken them considerably next year and beyond.

ramp101
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
yuck... I absolutely hate this trade idea

Id much rather DTrain go to LAA, LA or AZ

Matt700wlw
07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Please god no.

If they get Willis, any hope of winning the Central will pretty much go bye bye.

Matt700wlw
07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
yuck... I absolutely hate this trade idea

Id much rather DTrain go to LAA, LA or AZ

or cincy

KronoRed
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Please god no.

If they get Willis, any hope of winning the Central will pretty much go bye bye.
We should aim for the WC anyway.

Matt700wlw
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
We should aim for the WC anyway.

True...but right now, there's still a shot.

KronoRed
07-21-2006, 05:02 PM
or cincy
EE, Votto, Bailey, Deno, Bruce and Stubbs please :devil:

GAC
07-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Jeff Weaver has worked out well for them. ;)

SirFelixCat
07-22-2006, 07:17 PM

This is what I was alluding to in an earlier post. You summed it up well...ty and I agree 100%.

Swampturkey
07-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Jeff Weaver has worked out well for them. ;)

Hey, I didn't want the Cards to get him (actually was mad when Jocketty did) but he got us a win tonight and only gave up one run while doing it.

RBA
07-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey, I didn't want the Cards to get him (actually was mad when Jocketty did) but he got us a win tonight and only gave up one run while doing it.

He got off lucky tonight. He was hit hard the first few innings, but the Dodgers couldn't execute when they needed to. Hopefully his performance tonight in pitcher friendly Dodger Stadium will give the Cards false hope and they don't make any other moves for pitching.

Swampturkey
07-23-2006, 02:16 AM
We don't have false hopes with Weaver. I'm stunned he pitched this well and fully expect him to blow up in his next outting, but for tonight anyway, he gave us another win.

WVRed
07-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, the Cardinals have had the best track record with reclamation projects.

Carpenter, Chris.

Best of luck.:)

Matt700wlw
07-23-2006, 02:05 PM
We don't have false hopes with Weaver. I'm stunned he pitched this well and fully expect him to blow up in his next outting, but for tonight anyway, he gave us another win.

Damn him! :)