PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!!! A huge rumour involving D-Train to the Cardinals!!!

redsfan4445
07-21-2006, 05:02 AM
I just saw this on mlbtraderumours and the rumour looks legit!!

Cardinals Discussing Dontrelle Willis Trade
The Cardinals message boards are lighting up, and with good reason: there is a legitimate Dontrelle Willis rumor making the rounds.

The thread was started by a respected Cards source who goes by the handle Hawg Wild. I can confirm that this guy has a track record of success. Colby Rasmus is a 19 year-old outfielder in high Class A. He was a first-round pick and is easily the team's best prospect now that Anthony Reyes is in the bigs. According to Rasmus's father:

"Colby just called me and said his agent told him of conversations the cardinals were having with the possibility of Colby and a three or four other Cardinal players going to Florida in return for Dontrelle Willis. Reyes and Colby were the only 2 players Colby was told about, he did not hear who the other 2/3 players were. His words to me, 'Man that sucks.'"

Then to quiet any doubters, St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz stepped in:

"I tried to drop a major hint in today's column....FLA wants Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan -- and that's not all. Probably one more... possibly their pick of the Cardinals' system."

The Cardinals need a big move; it looks like Walt Jocketty may package everything he's got to get D-Train."

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 07:26 AM
I thought the Cards didn't have any spects that teams wanted. ;)

Hawg does have a good track record with this type of thing, but he even said that he doesn't think it will happen. He said the two teams are talking, and the Marlins asked for those players. I don't see Jocketty trading both Reyes and Rasmus for Willis. I'd hate to see either of those players go.

ChatterRed
07-21-2006, 07:59 AM
It won't matter. They'll trade the world and still lose to Detroit, the White Sox, Boston or the Yankees. St. Louis isn't built for the postseason. Willis is looking somewhat average this year, too.

It's fine with me if they mortgage the future. It won't be enough.

That opens the door for the Reds to dominate in the upcoming years!

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Even if the Cards don't get Willis, I fully expect them to make a move or two big enough to pull away from the rest of the Central.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Even if the Cards don't get Willis, I fully expect them to make a move or two big enough to pull away from the rest of the Central.

You may be right, but I just hope they don't trade Reyes, Wainwright, or Rasmus. Those are their biggest trading chips, but they are too good to give up on for a quick fix.

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 08:36 AM
You may be right, but I just hope they don't trade Reyes, Wainwright, or Rasmus. Those are their biggest trading chips, but they are too good to give up on for a quick fix.

Be happy Wayne isn't your GM, he'd trade them all for 2 relievers :laugh:

(I love Wayne, I think every other move he made was great.)

Jaycint
07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
As a Reds fan I'd love to see the Cards do this deal. I think Reyes has stud written all over him and in the long run will outperform Willis. Not to mention the Cards throwing in Rasmus as well.

FLA wants Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan -- and that's not all. Probably one more... possibly their pick of the Cardinals' system.

By the way I think we can safely say now that if that is the asking price then the Reds were probably never in the hunt. They probably would have wanted Bailey, Bruce and EE just to get talks started.

smith288
07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Cards should just hope to contend this year with what they have because once they make it to the playoffs...fuggetaboutit.

Its not worth the risk but if they do it...good for us. Willis is not dominant this year.

edabbs44
07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
OH NO!!!! Willis to the Cards?

http://www.trioplus.tv/mr_bill/images/set15.jpg

Brutus
07-21-2006, 10:05 AM
It would be a good deal. Willis is a terrrific pitcher, but from a Reds' viewpoint, I would almost say the Cardinals would be mortgaging an awful lot if that rumored deal is true. To give up Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan in the same trade is an awful lot for Willis, who is sometimes a little inconsistent.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Jocketty has stated that he is more interested in aquiring a corner outfielder than a pitcher. Perhaps it is Cabrera that the Cards are interested in aquiring. I wouldn't mind seeing Pujols, Cabrera, and Rolen hitting back to back to back. ;)

smith288
07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Jocketty has stated that he is more interested in aquiring a corner outfielder than a pitcher. Perhaps it is Cabrera that the Cards are interested in aquiring. I wouldn't mind seeing Pujols, Cabrera, and Rolen hitting back to back to back. ;)
Then you'd be in the Reds seat the last couple of years. Great offense, crappy pitching.

Not a winning strategy IMHO

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Then you'd be in the Reds seat the last couple of years. Great offense, crappy pitching.

Not a winning strategy IMHO

The Cardinals would still have their Ace though. The pitching wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be as bad as the Reds has been the last several years.

KoryMac5
07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Willis is not going anywhere this year. He is still fairly young and I can't see the Marlins who are already loaded with prospects dealing him for more prospects. I do imagine the Marlins will listen to offers and this is probably where that is coming from.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Willis is not going anywhere this year. He is still fairly young and I can't see the Marlins who are already loaded with prospects dealing him for more prospects. I do imagine the Marlins will listen to offers and this is probably where that is coming from.

I disagree. I think the Marlins would love to trade Willis for a package of great spects. OTOH, I don't see the Marlins dealing Cabrera for the reasons that you mentioned.

RBA
07-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Cardinals already have a stud pitcher: Jeff Weaver. They already soldved their rotation. :D :p: :devil: :laugh: :jump:

Brutus
07-21-2006, 10:39 AM
The Cardinals would still have their Ace though. The pitching wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be as bad as the Reds has been the last several years.

That's the understatement of the year, but no one on this board needs told the Reds pitching simply hasn't cut it.

That's a no-brainer, Matty. But as a Cards' fan, I would not think using the Reds' staff as a litmus test for the Cardinals is the most appropriate thing for a team trying to make a deep playoff run.

Your paradigm should be Boston, the Mets, the Yankees, the White Sox, etc. Not being greater than the Reds haha.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Your paradigm should be Boston, the Mets, the Yankees, the White Sox, etc. Not being greater than the Reds haha.

If you have a solution to make the Cardinals pitching staff as good as those teams, then I would love to hear it. My comment was simply that the Cardinals wouldn't have a horrible staff. The Cards have done well the years where they had an average rotation with Edmonds, Pujols, Rolen, and Renteria in the line-up.

Brutus
07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
If you have a solution to make the Cardinals pitching staff as good as those teams, then I would love to hear it. My comment was simply that the Cardinals wouldn't have a horrible staff. The Cards have done well the years where they had an average rotation with Edmonds, Pujols, Rolen, and Renteria in the line-up.

I don't think the Cardinals have a horrible staff... it's pitching like a horrible staff with four starters above 5.50, but I don't think it's actually as bad as it's performing. But I think Dontrelle Willis is a definite upgrade as a No. 2 starter. I can understand how you might not want to trade everyone in the organization to get him, but he would make the Cardinals' staff clearly better than they are at the moment.

Reyes may unfortunately have to go in that type of a deal. But a playoff rotation of Carpenter, Willis and then either Suppan, Marquis or Mulder (if he gets his act together) is more formidable than throwing Reyes out there as a rookie and expecting him to pitch like Willis might.

I admit I don't have a lot of solutions, but this thread offered up a solution and it was one that you didn't seem to take well to.

OnBaseMachine
07-21-2006, 11:13 AM

They are the only quality prospects the Cardinals have to trade.

Handofdeath
07-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I just saw this on mlbtraderumours and the rumour looks legit!!

Cardinals Discussing Dontrelle Willis Trade
The Cardinals message boards are lighting up, and with good reason: there is a legitimate Dontrelle Willis rumor making the rounds.

The thread was started by a respected Cards source who goes by the handle Hawg Wild. I can confirm that this guy has a track record of success. Colby Rasmus is a 19 year-old outfielder in high Class A. He was a first-round pick and is easily the team's best prospect now that Anthony Reyes is in the bigs. According to Rasmus's father:

"Colby just called me and said his agent told him of conversations the cardinals were having with the possibility of Colby and a three or four other Cardinal players going to Florida in return for Dontrelle Willis. Reyes and Colby were the only 2 players Colby was told about, he did not hear who the other 2/3 players were. His words to me, 'Man that sucks.'"

Then to quiet any doubters, St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz stepped in:

"I tried to drop a major hint in today's column....FLA wants Reyes, Rasmus and Duncan -- and that's not all. Probably one more... possibly their pick of the Cardinals' system."

The Cardinals need a big move; it looks like Walt Jocketty may package everything he's got to get D-Train."

This is good and bad news. First off, remember the thread last week about Willis going to the Reds? Didn't happen. Rumors are just that. I would love to hear from Team Clark about trades that were just a hair from being done but at the last second something happened to prevent it. The bad news is the Cards might get Willis. He has the talent to shut down any team out there. But the Cards are still weak in pitching. Why bring in Ponson if its not?
Except for Carpenter the pitching staff is this

Marquis 11-7 5.97 ERA
Suppan 6-5 5.52 ERA
When Mulder has been healthy 6-5 6.09 ERA
Ponson 4-4 5.23 ERA

The Reds are a good winning streak from taking this division now. Now if the Cardinals do get Willis, they will have totally decimated their farm system and that is very good for the Reds because in the end what the Cards have to show for it may not be much and they will have ZERO bargaining chips and the Reds will take the division in 2007 for sure.

DeadRedinCT
07-21-2006, 12:25 PM

(OT-Thread Hijack)

I was looking at Jason Marquis game log. Did he do something to Tony LaRussa? I saw he had starts where he gave 10+ ERs. Just wondering why TLR would leave I guy in to get pasted in several starts?

(/OT-Thread Hijack)

joshnky
07-21-2006, 12:37 PM
(OT-Thread Hijack)

I was looking at Jason Marquis game log. Did he do something to Tony LaRussa? I saw he had starts where he gave 10+ ERs. Just wondering why TLR would leave I guy in to get pasted in several starts?

(/OT-Thread Hijack)
I know that this past week and another time earlier in the season the bullpen was depleted both times due to short starts by the previous days pitcher. I don't know that its a good reason but that must be LaRussa's rationale.

RedFanAlways1966
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
I know that this past week and another time earlier in the season the bullpen was depleted both times due to short starts by the previous days pitcher. I don't know that its a good reason but that must be LaRussa's rationale.

1 word... EXACTLY! :)

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
They are the only quality prospects the Cardinals have to trade.

Which is why they shouldn't be traded.

OnBaseMachine
07-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Which is why they shouldn't be traded.

I would love to see the Cards trade Reyes, Rasmus, and Duncan for Willis. ;)

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I would love to see the Cards trade Reyes, Rasmus, and Duncan for Willis. ;)

Ha Ha... I bet you would. I would hate to see that happen.

Jr's Boy
07-21-2006, 02:08 PM
It's gonna take more than Willis to help the Cards thats for sure.Their offense is suspect,with out Pujols their like Samson with a buzzcut.

dabvu2498
07-21-2006, 02:16 PM
It's gonna take more than Willis to help the Cards thats for sure.Their offense is suspect,with out Pujols their like Samson with a buzzcut.
Samson still destroyed the temple.

Just sayin'. :D

Chip R
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Samson was scrappy.

dabvu2498
07-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Samson was scrappy.
And in the end he "played the game the right way." :D

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM

Margie shouldn't have made Samson get a haircut

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM

The Cards played over .500 without Pujols though.

Gandalf the Red
07-21-2006, 02:49 PM

Samson in the Philistine Temple: "I'm gonna give it my best shot. And Good Lord willin', things'll work out."

(Which they did. Kinda.)

Matt700wlw
07-21-2006, 03:32 PM
It won't matter. They'll trade the world and still lose to Detroit, the White Sox, Boston or the Yankees. St. Louis isn't built for the postseason. Willis is looking somewhat average this year, too.

They'd have to beat the Mets first, or the Reds when the Reds move past the Mets:D

Chip R
07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
And in the end he "played the game the right way." :D

Talk about someone who knew how to sacrifice. :eek:

dabvu2498
07-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Talk about someone who knew how to sacrifice. :eek:
Job, too.

Abraham was willing, but coach took down the sign and made him manager of his own franchise.

Rocket_Fuel
07-21-2006, 08:20 PM
As soon as a big rumor like this hits expect it NOT to happen.

Krusty
07-21-2006, 09:08 PM
If you're the Reds, would you part Claussen and Bailey for Willis?

RedEye
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM

You know, I do that trade. And I think if it crossed Wayne's desk, he would do it, too. I know everyone's talking about "Bailey this, Bailey that"--and the kid is potentially brilliant--but that's all he is right now: potential.

Willis would add instant credibility to the front of the Reds' rotation, and Willis-Harang-Arroyo would match-up pretty well with any team's front three. That's what it takes to go deep into the playoffs, and the Reds are already invested heavily in this season with the trade for Magic and Bray.

Yes, I think that's a trade the Reds do right away if it is offered. Claussen is just filler at this point; I hate to say it, but it's true. At least Aaron Boone didn't really turn into much either.

MattyHo4Life
07-21-2006, 10:00 PM

Claussen and Bailey aren't comparable to Reyes, Rasmus, and Duncan.

fearofpopvol1
07-22-2006, 12:38 AM

I'd be hesitant. Willis is expensive and there would still be a lot of question marks for that 4th and 5th spot. If you thought it would be enough to get you to the world series? I think you do it. I'm not sure Willis would be enough to get this team to the world series.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I'd be hesitant. Willis is expensive and there would still be a lot of question marks for that 4th and 5th spot. If you thought it would be enough to get you to the world series? I think you do it. I'm not sure Willis would be enough to get this team to the world series.

Willis would definitely upgrade the rotation not only for the stretch run but for the next two years at least. I would be comfortable to go in the playoffs with a three-man rotation of Arroyo, Willis and Harang. Ramirez and Milton are just as good as several teams' rotations when it comes to number 4 and 5 starters.

The question is Bailey. Is he the next Josh Beckett or possibly a young Rogers Clemens? If he is projected to be and the Reds trade him only to see it bite them in the ass, then you'll feel like the Tigers did when they traded a young John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander.

That is reason why I don't envy Krivsky when he has to make these tough personnel decisions.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Claussen and Bailey aren't comparable to Reyes, Rasmus, and Duncan.

I'm quiet sure the Reds could spice up the deal. But is Reyes ace material like Bailey is being projected?

MattyHo4Life
07-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm quiet sure the Reds could spice up the deal. But is Reyes ace material like Bailey is being projected?

I believe he is. The reason I'm against this trade is that I believe Reyes can be as good as Willis is now. Unlike Bailey, Reyes is ready for the Majors now. Rasmus' projections are high, but he's a few years away from being ready for the Majors so his stock isn't nearly as high as Reyes'.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I believe he is. The reason I'm against this trade is that I believe Reyes can be as good as Willis is now. Unlike Bailey, Reyes is ready for the Majors now. Rasmus' projections are high, but he's a few years away from being ready for the Majors so his stock isn't nearly as high as Reyes'.

And if I'm the Reds, I pass on a Willis deal if it involves Bailey. I think this kid is the real deal and we will be kicking ourselves if he becomes a dominant ace for another club the next 10 years.

buckeyenut
07-22-2006, 05:32 PM
And if I'm the Reds, I pass on a Willis deal if it involves Bailey. I think this kid is the real deal and we will be kicking ourselves if he becomes a dominant ace for another club the next 10 years.

Fine. I could live with that. But if it is a Willis/Cabrera deal and you aren't willing to move Bailey, that is a mistake.

Cabrera is the real gem that MIGHT be an option from FLA. If you could team him and Dunn together for the next 10 years, you will never have to worry about offense.

fearofpopvol1
07-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Willis would definitely upgrade the rotation not only for the stretch run but for the next two years at least. I would be comfortable to go in the playoffs with a three-man rotation of Arroyo, Willis and Harang. Ramirez and Milton are just as good as several teams' rotations when it comes to number 4 and 5 starters.

It definitely would upgrade the rotation. No disagreement there. However, I think the only way you give up a top prospect like that is if you think you can go to the world series and have a shot at winning it. I just don't think the D-Train is enough to get us to that level, as improved as we'd be. I also think the high pricetag would have a negative impact on us for the next 2 seasons.

MattyHo4Life
07-22-2006, 08:26 PM

Bailey is a great prospect, but he is a long ways from being ready for the Majors isn't he? A lot of top pitching prospects have been derailed on their way to the Majors. With Willis, you know what you are getting. I don't think the same can be said of Bailey. You take a big risk with pitching prospects that have a lot of development left to go.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
The only possible reason I could see Krivsky trading Bailey is Willis will be around at least two or more seasons. Still you're talking about trading a pitching gem that scouts and front office people are raving about.

But if meant acquiring Willis and Cabrera for Claussen, Bailey, Encarncion and another pitcher like Dumtrait or Germano, that would be tough to swallow. I think we all will be kicking ourselves in the butt if the deal turns out to be another Bagwell for Larry Anderson trade or John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander trade.

redsmetz
07-23-2006, 08:32 AM
And the the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning suggests that the Cards are more interested in a hitter. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting analysis. Nice stat to start the article off viz. the Cards and Reds.

Cards Insider: Despite pitching woes, Cards are looking for hitter
By Joe Strauss
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
07/22/2006

LOS ANGELES — The Cardinals rank second in the National League in batting average, fifth in runs scored, second in on-base percentage and sixth in slugging percentage.

They had scored eight fewer runs in two fewer games than the Cincinnati Reds through Friday.

Entering Saturday night's game against their recent foil, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Cardinals ranked ninth in team ERA, 14th in strikeouts and 13th in home runs allowed. Among potential playoff teams, the New York Mets and all the National League West clubs carried ERAs that were superior to the mark posted by the Redbirds, who also carried a nominal plus-270 strikeout-walk differential. Only four teams offer lower differentials; the San Diego Padres lead the league at plus-392.

In the last three weeks the Cardinals have:

* Optioned Brad Thompson, who was good for 40 appearances and an opponents' batting average of .227 in less than five months last season.

* Released Sidney Ponson after he offered two quality starts in his last three appearances.

* Promoted righthander Josh Kinney to a bullpen that now includes three rookies.

* Briefly shut down lefthanded reliever Randy Flores because of a stressed elbow. Flores had surgery in October for removal of a bone spur. The club says the two are unrelated.

* Acquired Jeff Weaver after the Los Angeles Angels designated him for assignment. The Angels were prepared to eat the remainder of his $8.3 million contract after he started 3-10.

* Adjusted their rotation to give rookie Anthony Reyes two additional days off after his July 16 win over the Dodgers. Reyes was scheduled to face the Dodgers on Saturday night but will instead go in Monday's series opener against the Colorado Rockies.

Almost two-thirds through the schedule, the Cardinals have yet to offer a consistent pitching look. Yet publicly, at least, their emphasis remains on acquiring another hitter.

Said hitting coach Hal McRae: "I think it's more a question of availability. It's probably easier to get a hitter compared to a pitcher. You can't get it if it's not there."

McRae admits his hitters could be doing better this season. ("I like our hitters. But we could be scoring more earlier," he said.) Yet a perception exists within some corners of the organization and the clubhouse that an "impact" move for a pitcher may be more beneficial than a full press for a hitter.

Weaver entered Saturday night's start with an overall 6.60 ERA. Barring an abrupt reversal of performance, he is holding Mark Mulder's spot in the rotation until the lefthander returns from shoulder problems sometime next month.

General manager Walt Jocketty recently theorized Mulder's return to health would equal a trade. But that won't be confirmed until after the deadline passes July 31. Implicit is a need for Jeff Suppan or Jason Marquis to become more consistent. Suppan's last two outings are encouraging.

Jocketty last week said, "Our primary focus is to acquire a bat if possible. That hasn't changed."

But things have a way of changing in the days preceding the deadline. Jocketty adamantly denied suggestions he would part with Bud Smith as part of the July 2002 deal for Scott Rolen.

When the deal was done, the lefthander Smith, utility starter Placido Polanco and reliever Mike Timlin were shipped to Philadelphia for the all-star third baseman.

Jocketty later explained the deal could not have happened without involving Smith, who quickly vanished because of shoulder and elbow problems and can now be found hurling for the independent Long Beach Armada.

Things change, indeed.

"You have to ask yourself: Who do we want to beat?" one team member asked. "Are we thinking about the division? We can probably handle that. Or are we looking past the league? Then the answer may be different."

Poker playing becomes an art form at this time. The Cardinals have closely followed the Phillies, believed by many to be the catalyst for next week's madness. Outfielders Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell and David Dellucci are intriguing. However, their pitching stable includes Cory Lidle, John Lieber and lefthanded relievers Arthur Rhodes and Rheal Cormier.

The Cardinals have pondered Lieber before when they've quietly conceded that the club lacks a weapon similar to Steve Kline and Ray King when at their best.

The Minnesota Twins may be willing to part with Kyle Lohse while the Cardinals' long-standing interest in Washington Nationals pitcher Livan Hernandez apparently has cooled.

The Marlins insist that Dontrelle Willis isn't available, much the same way Jocketty maintains he won't part with either of his talented righthanded rookies, Reyes or Adam Wainwright.

So it is interesting that the Cardinals have made far more noise about acquiring another bat, preferably a lefthanded one, than pitching help for the stretch drive.

One club member recently described this year's offense as "deceptive," maintaining that this year's edition has been less opportunistic. McRae agrees that production has been more concentrated within the lineup.

The assumption is the new bat would fit in left field, where John Rodriguez, So Taguchi, Chris Duncan, John Gall, Scott Spiezio, Hector Luna, Larry Bigbie, Timo Perez and Juan Encarnacion have teamed for a whopping 31 RBIs. Duncan, however, has recently seized control of the position - at least against righthanded pitching. The rookie's playing time has increased to the point where some within the clubhouse wonder if the club is preparing to move Rodriguez.

One realist pondered the hitter-pitcher question and offered succinctly, "I think we'll take both."

MattyHo4Life
07-23-2006, 08:38 AM
And the the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning suggests that the Cards are more interested in a hitter. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting analysis. Nice stat to start the article off viz. the Cards and Reds.

Jocketty had said a few days ago that he is more interested obtaining a hitter now that they have Weaver.

WVRed
07-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Jocketty had said a few days ago that he is more interested obtaining a hitter now that they have Weaver.

How's Weaver working out?:)

redsmetz
07-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Here's last night's synopsis:

Albert Pujols gave Jeff Weaver enough support with one swing, hitting a two-run homer in the third inning. Jim Edmonds and Chris Duncan also went deep, and Weaver enjoyed his return to Southern California, holding his ex-team to one run in 5 2/3 frames.

In his one other outing with the Cards, he got batted around a good bit - 4IP, 8 hits, 6 ER. Perhaps Dave Duncan has found something and helped him fix it.

Edit additon: It's certainly possible that he was pumped facing the Dodgers.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Here's last night's synopsis:

In his one other outing with the Cards, he got batted around a good bit - 4IP, 8 hits, 6 ER. Perhaps Dave Duncan has found something and helped him fix it.

Edit additon: It's certainly possible that he was pumped facing the Dodgers.

I don't think Duncan's taught Weaver anything; I think what you saw last night is several Dodger hitters in the process of regressing to their norms--Martin and Ethier, specifically. The Dodgers just aren't very good, and their offense is overrated.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd be very frustrated if we traded Bailey and a few other players for Willis.

I love Willis, don't get me wrong. But I don't think we have a snowball's chance of getting far in the post-season this year. So I don't think we should risk the very bright future for a "now" trade.

KoryMac5
07-23-2006, 11:01 PM
From ESPN via Miami

The Florida Marlins say they aren't looking to make any deals before the trade deadline, and that's fine with Dontrelle Willis.

The Marlins' ace was the subject of frequent trade speculation earlier this season, but a surprising midseason surge has left the team less inclined to cut payroll.

"I really believe that we're done trading for the year," manager Joe Girardi said Sunday. "We like the club we've got. I think the only way we trade someone is if someone blows us away."

Rumors always heat up as the July 31 trade deadline nears. But speculation has cooled regarding Willis, who is 5-1 since starting the season 1-6.

"I don't hear about myself anymore," Willis said. "I don't think they want me anymore. When I was 1-6, everybody wanted me. Now I've battled back and I don't hear anything. Nobody wants me anymore, but I'm happy where I'm at."

Willis pitched six innings without getting a decision Sunday in a 5-4 win over Pittsburgh. Widely projected to lose at least 100 games this season, the Marlins are 34-21 since May 22.

I don't think Willis is going anywhere. They have a good young team down their why continue to rebuild year after year when you already have a good solid core.

MattyHo4Life
07-24-2006, 12:04 AM
How's Weaver working out?:)

I'm happy with Weaver so far. His first outing with the Cards came after not pitching for several weeks. His second outing was pretty good. Not bad for a guy that we gave up very little to get.

crazybob60
07-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Even if we made the deal for Willis involving Bailey, do you think we would be doing it to get Willis to pitch with us, or would we be doing it you think in a Yanks -- Sox sort of way so that the Cards don't get him, I would hate to find out we did it for the later. Also, all the talk involving Bailey could be very true and yes we would be kicking ourselves later, but in return we could be kicking ourselves later if he doesn't turn out to be all this hype we are talking about and then we would be making comments like "remember when we could have gotten Willis and maybe even Willis and Cabrera for him?" and be upset bout that, but that is what makes the game fun, huh? I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another hype-type player like in the early 90's when the Yankees had Brien Taylor, that was the guy I am thinking of, right?

Jpup
07-24-2006, 12:12 AM
The Cards are chasing Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu. St. Louis' Assisstant GM was in Philly tonight scouting both. I'm not sure what the Cards have that would land Bobby Abreu unless Philly just wants a pure salary dump.

Jon Lieber is also available.