PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Rumor??

RedLegSuperStar
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/072106redsnotesweb.html?UrAuth=%60N^NUOaNUUbTTUWUX UWUZTZUbUWU\UcUZU%60U^UcTYWYWZV

Catch this one

Until catcher David Ross comes off the disabled list, probably Sunday, the Reds aren't interested in talking trade concerning catcher Jason LaRue.

There was talk the Reds and Colorado Rockies might put together a deal that wsould send LaRue to the Rockies for left-handed relief pitcher Ray King. The Rockies, though, say they plan to call up a catcher from their minor-league system and the Reds are not interested in King, a guy who has made a career out of retiring the Reds, wherever he pitched.

With Ross out, the Reds have two catchers, but that didn't prevent manager Jerry Narron from using catcher Javier Valentin as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning Wednesday, then again in the eighth inning Thursday.

So, if LaRue had been injured or ejected, who would catch?

"Ryan Freel," said Narron. "And Chris Denorfia, who hasn't caught, said he would do it." And, of course, Scott Hatteberg was a catcher with the Boston Red Sox.

Freel hasn't caught, either, but said he wants to add it to his resume and Denorfia said, "I might have caught once or twice in Little League but that would be it. But, yes, I'd strap on the gear."

Why not do this deal? You have Valentin and Ross is nearing a return. The Hat has been a catcher and im sure he would spot catch a game, maybe two till Ross returned. If not recall Perez till Ross got healthy. LaRue I think is set to make 5.2 Million next season and the Reds want to keep him over getting Ray King?? LaRue came up big in the rain delay game against the Mets but I think you got to make that move. Narron wouldn't like it just because King eats probably more times a day then he throws pitches.. I thought that was the reaso we dealt Kearns and Lopez to give us some payroll flexibility heading into the dealine/offseason and this move would shore up another spot in the bullpen.. are Weathers or Standridge better than King?

top6
07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
why in the heck would freel and denorfia catch when we have someone who was an actual major league catcher on the roster? that's really dumb.

Joseph
07-21-2006, 04:38 PM
When does it stop being payroll flexibility and become a 'fire sale'?

Tornon
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM

When the guys you get back are not intended to help you this year, or if you get "nothing" in return

Joseph
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
When the guys you get back are not intended to help you this year, or if you get "nothing" in return

So when you deal for Ray King then?

HotCorner
07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Anyone find it ironic that the Reds could land King just after getting rid of Kearns?

Crash Davis
07-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Why not do this deal?

On the Rockies end, they have a serious catching prospect hitting .450 in AAA and knocking hard on the door. Torrealba is a decent back-up. Jason LaRue would just be added payroll to them.

VR
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
LaRue has shown a wee bit of life, but if you can find anyone to take on that salary next year, do it.

He has declined into a mistake hitter only. If he doesn't get ahead in the count, he's usually toast. His mechanics have actually deteriorated since Bob Boone got a hold of him and convinced him offense wasn't needed from a catcher. Much like his former teammate Aaron Boone, he has got pull-itis, thus resulting in a continual stream of 6 hoppers to the 3rd sacker on pitches that are 6 inches outside.

As he dives into the plate and takes a pitch (the non-intentional inflator of his hbp's), he has to catch himself from falling over, like he had walked up to a 100 foot cliff and peered over, only to jump back in sheer terror. The worst footwork in the box since Hal Morris, only Hal had good enough hitting prowess to compensate.

I really wish the best for Jason, as he's been a solid producer over the years. With his new contract, it's time for him to move on. I really think he can recover some of what he's lost in a new uniform.

PuffyPig
07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I really badly slumping Larue is better than BurgerKing.

boobhat
07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
trade him for corky miller

StillFunkyB
07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't care if Kearns is gone.

I would not be happy with Ray King being on this team.

backbencher
07-21-2006, 05:40 PM
princeton wanted something "bigger than Kyle Lohse."

Krivsky tries to answer.

Joseph
07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't care if Kearns is gone.

I would not be happy with Ray King being on this team.

Daaaaaa Reds.

Thats my thoughts exactly. If Ray King is the answer, I'm afraid of the question.

KronoRed
07-21-2006, 05:57 PM
trade him for corky miller
Nah, trade EE for Miller..we need 4 catchers

corkedbat
07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
If a really good deal comes around for LaRue, bring up Sardinha or Perez to backup Javy for a couple of days until Ross returns - no Biggie.

edabbs44
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Great point...unless it is a garage sale of everything DanO and Jimbo left behind.

Hubba
07-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Is LaRue not right handed? If so how does he hit an out side pitch to third?
LaRue has shown a wee bit of life, but if you can find anyone to take on that salary next year, do it.

He has declined into a mistake hitter only. If he doesn't get ahead in the count, he's usually toast. His mechanics have actually deteriorated since Bob Boone got a hold of him and convinced him offense wasn't needed from a catcher. Much like his former teammate Aaron Boone, he has got pull-itis, thus resulting in a continual stream of 6 hoppers to the 3rd sacker on pitches that are 6 inches outside.

As he dives into the plate and takes a pitch (the non-intentional inflator of his hbp's), he has to catch himself from falling over, like he had walked up to a 100 foot cliff and peered over, only to jump back in sheer terror. The worst footwork in the box since Hal Morris, only Hal had good enough hitting prowess to compensate.

I really wish the best for Jason, as he's been a solid producer over the years. With his new contract, it's time for him to move on. I really think he can recover some of what he's lost in a new uniform.

pahster
07-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Is LaRue not right handed? If so how does he hit an out side pitch to third?

He swings too early. I do it in the cage all too often.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-22-2006, 01:44 PM
I watch plenty of Rockies games out here and Ray King is not someone we would want in our bullpen. He is imminently responsible for a lot of Colorado's current meltdown and is more of an arsonist than a fireman. At times it looks as if he would walk Royce Clayton standing up there with a whiffle-ball bat. Not someone the Reds need.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Isn't Ray King rumored to go to Boston for Julian Tavarez?