PDA

View Full Version : tough to stick with Jason Standridge's struggles

princeton
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
kudos to one Reds administration for picking him up and to a second for sticking with him. It wasn't easy but he's now pitching important innings. Now, for consistency

RedlegJake
07-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Good observation. Jason has filthy stuff if he can ever harness it game to game. Would have been easy for K to give up on him earlier.

SteelSD
07-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Do the kudos extend to the current administration Designating Standridge for Assignment in March?

Krivsky did give up on him.

Heath
07-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Do the kudos extend to the current administration Designating Standridge for Assignment in March?

Wouldn't you - designated him for assignment, that is?

He's got the ability - but not the consistancy.

SteelSD
07-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Wouldn't you - designated him for assignment, that is?

He's got the ability - but not the consistancy.

Yep, he'd have been gone. At this point, Standridge is a happy accident. He's a player the Reds didn't want and a player whom no one else wanted. I like happy accidents and teams need those every year to succeed. But happy accidents aren't an indication of management intelligence. If they were, then the Cardinals are the smartest team in baseball for picking up Josh Hancock after he was deemed to fat to play for the current administration.

Tornon
07-23-2006, 01:57 AM
then the Cardinals are the smartest team in baseball for picking up Josh Hancock after he was deemed to fat to play for the current administration.

Not too fat.. too insubordinate:thumbup:

GAC
07-23-2006, 05:32 AM

Wake-up call maybe as he see the "corpses" Krivsky has laid in his wake this season from the pitching corp?

We'll see.

I just wish he'd get that shovel back out and start digging Mays grave. I'll buy the marker. ;)

Reds1
07-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I thought he'd be gone after the trade and that 4 ER performance he did, BUT if he does we he does and with Eddie, the two new guys and Coffey we might end up with a pretty nice pen even if Merker is hurt. They still don't need to pitch Weathers every stinking game. :)

redsmetz
07-23-2006, 09:38 AM

I can't say, but perhaps they knew he'd clear waivers. IIRC he indicated he wanted to stay with the organization. Sometimes waivers are placed as a fairly decent bet.

StillFunkyB
07-23-2006, 09:39 AM
It's exactly what Team Clark said, the guy needed to grow some nads.

Hopefully this set has grown, and stays put.

RedlegNation
07-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Didn't Standridge have decent minor league numbers?

I always thought he was a good risk.

princeton
07-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Didn't Standridge have decent minor league numbers?

I always thought he was a good risk.

there's lots of good risks in the game, but you can't always keep those guys, especially when they're out of options. Reds' timing on getting Standridge in, keeping him, giving him proper minor league time, and putting him into a position of importance with good confidence has been impressive

Chip R
07-23-2006, 10:28 AM
He has also been fortunate that this bullpen has been so bad that he finally got a chance to show his stuff. No knock on Standridge but if guys like White and Hammonds and Burns and Yan were halfway decent and guys like Belisle and Mercker were not hurt, he would not even be a blip on the radar screen. But to his credit he has done well when called upon.

Patrick Bateman
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I think I was about the only one that liked Standridge all the way through.

When he was signed I had a "feeling" about him. Not really anything based on stats, but he's always had a great arm with the potential if he learned how to pitch. Even this year with his struggles I still thought he was pitching just fine.

I'm glad they stuck with him because this is one of the rare occasions that I turned out to be right.