PDA

View Full Version : Merck on the DL - elbow inflamation.

Matt700wlw
07-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Shacks' coming back for tomorrow

Falls City Beer
07-22-2006, 10:13 PM
That's REALLY bad news. Mercker was just getting himself ironed out. And Shack is in the top 5 worst relievers I've ever seen throw a pitch for the Reds.

Yes, he is this year's Marc Kroon Award winner.

captainmorgan07
07-22-2006, 10:13 PM
elbow inflamation for mercker i think what marty said

Joseph
07-22-2006, 10:37 PM
That's REALLY bad news. Mercker was just getting himself ironed out. And Shack is in the top 5 worst relievers I've ever seen throw a pitch for the Reds.

Yes, he is this year's Marc Kroon Award winner.

You don't think that if used properly he's a valuable LOOGY? Now its up to Narron to use him properly I admit, but still he's been solid in that role. He should NEVER EVER face a right hander, unless there are 4 lefties behind him.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2006, 10:41 PM
You don't think that if used properly he's a valuable LOOGY? Now its up to Narron to use him properly I admit, but still he's been solid in that role. He should NEVER EVER face a right hander, unless there are 4 lefties behind him.

I think all the LOOGY talk with Shackelford is a small-sample blip. I think he'll get raked from either side of the plate with enough exposure. All of his other numbers say he's just not good enough to put down MLB hitting.

I hope he only pitches mop-up.

KronoRed
07-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Not good.

RedLegSuperStar
07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
instead of bringing up Shack, why not move Mays to the bullpen where he actually had some success and bring up Phil Dumatrait and see who he can do in the rotation.

Joseph
07-22-2006, 11:08 PM
I think all the LOOGY talk with Shackelford is a small-sample blip. I think he'll get raked from either side of the plate with enough exposure. All of his other numbers say he's just not good enough to put down MLB hitting.

I hope he only pitches mop-up.

Fair enough, I can respect that opinion. :thumbup:

kheidg-
07-22-2006, 11:15 PM
instead of bringing up Shack, why not move Mays to the bullpen where he actually had some success and bring up Phil Dumatrait and see who he can do in the rotation.

While I wouldn't mind seeing Dumatrait, the ONLY place Mays should be put is on waivers. If he isn't released after his start tonight, I don't know how much confidence I have in Krivsky.

As far as Shakelford, FCB - I don't see how you could rate him in the bottom 5 reds relievers all time. He had a ERA around 2.50 last year. There is no way he is worse than Joe Mays, Esteban Yan, Rick White, or Chris Hammond.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2006, 11:23 PM
While I wouldn't mind seeing Dumatrait, the ONLY place Mays should be put is on waivers. If he isn't released after his start tonight, I don't know how much confidence I have in Krivsky.

As far as Shakelford, FCB - I don't see how you could rate him in the bottom 5 reds relievers all time. He had a ERA around 2.50 last year. There is no way he is worse than Joe Mays, Esteban Yan, Rick White, or Chris Hammond.

I said "top five that I have seen pitch." Not necessarily top 5 worst of all time. He just looks completely unequipped to do anything on the mound. Like a golem playing chess or something....

wheels
07-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I really, really, want to see Dumatrait up there with the big club.

Is it an arbitration clock thing?

What more does he need to do to earn a chance?

Falls City Beer
07-22-2006, 11:28 PM
What more does he need to do to earn a chance?

Be traded away and then reacquired by Wayne, so Wayne can say that Dumatrait was one of his acquisitions.

:devil:

traderumor
07-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Be traded away and then reacquired by Wayne, so Wayne can say that Dumatrait was one of his acquisitions.

:devil:Krivsky has shown no evidence of favoring his own acquisitions. The one's that have not worked out, he put an end too.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Krivsky has shown no evidence of favoring his own acquisitions. The one's that have not worked out, he put an end too.

Mays?

wheels
07-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Maybe Wayne's got a deal lined up for a starter. Maybe Mays is just taking up space until that guy arrives.

Maybe.

RedsMan3203
07-22-2006, 11:43 PM
just maybe....

KronoRed
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe I'm Batman :evil:

Krusty
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Shackelford will be brought in to face one or two lefty batters and that will be it. Expect Bray to have his role expanded while Mercker is out.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Shackelford will be brought in to face one or two lefty batters and that will be it. Expect Bray to have his role expanded while Mercker is out.

Hey, I'm all in favor of Shack getting as little exposure to MLB hitting as possible.

traderumor
07-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Mays?
Nah, he may have gotten picked up because of their days with Minny, but he is kept around because Krivsky has shown little confidence in minor leaguers as replacements when nothing else is available. His only two completely horrible outings have been his last two, the others, he was not completely awful. Like I said in the game thread, I can't imagine Germano doing any worse, and he seems to be first in line for a 5th starter out of the minors. I just don't think Mays is kept primarily due to a personal bias.

traderumor
07-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey, I'm all in favor of Shack getting as little exposure to MLB hitting as possible.Shack really doesn't deserve the whipping boy du jour you're laying on him either. He did a really good job last year and has put up LOOGY numbers this year. Narron now realizes that, or at least gave lip service to it.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Shack really doesn't deserve the whipping boy du jour you're laying on him either. He did a really good job last year and has put up LOOGY numbers this year. Narron now realizes that, or at least gave lip service to it.

All I can say is we'll see.

What I saw I detested. I suppose the legal stuff may have impacted his performance, but what I saw was brutally discouraging--everything up in the zone to both lefties and righties.

Henry Clay
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Like I said in the game thread, I can't imagine Germano doing any worse, and he seems to be first in line for a 5th starter out of the minors.

I can see the arguments about Germano being mediocre in terms of stuff, but I tend to agree that he SHOULD be in line to take Mays' spot. I don't understand why he wasn't in line to take that spot for today's start. Was anyone surprised with Mays' line for tonight? As for Shackleford for Mercker, I see nothing surprising there, as well. Shackleford is the next lefthanded reliever in system. As for predicting his success, I think it will depend on his role. Given his trackrecord against LH batters, if Narron limits him to LOOGY duty, he should be fine, especially with Bray available. I'm far more worried about the 5th starter spot than I am with Shackleford replacing Mercker.

Heath
07-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Shack really doesn't deserve the whipping boy du jour you're laying on him either. He did a really good job last year and has put up LOOGY numbers this year. Narron now realizes that, or at least gave lip service to it.

Yep, and Shack had a good 2005. Maybe its mechanics, or mental, or myspace.com issues that have clouded his 2006 performance, but he's a great LOOGY that could pitch an inning if there was a righty in between two lefties.

Ironically enough he came to the Reds in the Jeff Austin deal.

Interesting.

kheidg-
07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
All I can say is we'll see.

What I saw I detested. I suppose the legal stuff may have impacted his performance, but what I saw was brutally discouraging--everything up in the zone to both lefties and righties.

He's pitched 11 innings in the majors this year. I don't think he'll be lights out, but he should be okay.

Ltlabner
07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
FCB: Be traded away and then reacquired by Wayne, so Wayne can say that Dumatrait was one of his acquisitions.

Traderumor: Krivsky has shown no evidence of favoring his own acquisitions. The one's that have not worked out, he put an end too.

FCB: Mays?

So FCB now that Kriv has DFA'd Mays and Yan, both of which were his guys, are you sticking to your notion that Kriv can't let go of "his" guys ?

Falls City Beer
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
So FCB now that Kriv has DFA'd Mays and Yan, both of which were his guys, are you sticking to your notion that Kriv can't let go of "his" guys ?

Good for Wayne. Now who is Mays' replacement?

kheidg-
07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Good for Wayne. Now who is Mays' replacement?

Does that really matter, IT'S NOT MAYS.