PDA

View Full Version : Griffey for Captain.

Wheelhouse
07-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey, I just like the guy. We hear story after story of his hard work, support of his teammates, and caring about fans. The story tonight of him tossing the helmet to Freel to take a bow clinches it for me...

redsrule2500
07-23-2006, 04:08 AM
I'm gonna say no.

He's definetly a great guy, but I don't think he should be captain. Although I'm not in the Reds dugout and don't experience him with the rest of the team, so what do I know.

GAC
07-23-2006, 05:29 AM
No. I personally, from the things he has said in the past concerning this subject.... "I lead by example" ..... don't think he'd feel comfortable in the job.

This is a veteran who calls his Dad for advice. How can he give it when it's needed? ;)

You need someone who, at times, needs to come down on their team in that clubhouse when they see that play is lackluster, not inspired.... and at times individual players privately, as well as motivate rookies.

Just don't think he has the right disposition for it. Doesn't possess that boldness (when needed).

Don't think Dunn does either.

Both darn good ballplayers, but not "leaders of men" so to speak.

I really don't know who, right now, is qualified to carry that mantle at this moment. If (and I sai "if") we had to choose anyone, I'd say Arroyo just from what I've seen from some of his statements/actions this year.

dsmith421
07-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Most baseball teams don't have a captain. The Reds don't need one.

The obvious choice would, of course, be Ryan Freel, but whatever.

oneupper
07-23-2006, 06:23 AM
If that's what it takes to move Grif down to cleanup and into a corner OF, I'm for it.

RedLegSuperStar
07-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Most baseball teams don't have a captain. The Reds don't need one.

The obvious choice would, of course, be Ryan Freel, but whatever.

I don't think Freels off the field activities would speak for that.

GAC
07-23-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't think Freels off the field activities would speak for that.

Only if he buys the rounds. ;)

RBA
07-23-2006, 10:11 AM
The captain should be a veteran who knows how to play the game the right way. hmmm, who could that be? :D

TOBTTReds
07-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I would vote LaRue. But he can't be complaining about PT if he is. But he might get traded soon, so that wouldn't be good to name him a captain til after the deadline!

Heath
07-23-2006, 10:51 AM
I would vote LaRue. But he can't be complaining about PT if he is. But he might get traded soon, so that wouldn't be good to name him a captain til after the deadline!

I think LaRue already is the quasi-captain.

There's really no one currently on this team that can be a leader-type with senority and attitude and leadership. Maybe Guardado.

But, if recent news stories and rumors are correct - Castro's the captain of the infield defense. Guardado is the captain of relief pitching. Mercker is the captain of Practical Jokes. It's the just the older guys working with the newer guys.

I also voted no on Griffey. He's not a rah-rah leader.

I think Barry Larkin was a decent captain, but again it was a quiet leadership.

Pete Rose was captain of the BRM. That was more with words than example.

max venable
07-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Why do we need a captain? What does the "captain" do for a team that simply a player who's strong in leadership doesn't do?

I bet the players know who the "real captain" on the team is without having to have the team designate one. I've never understood the captain thing. Just play ball and lead by example.

Marc D
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
We only need a captain if he can make Mays and Milton walk the plank.

KronoRed
07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
We only need a captain if he can make Mays and Milton walk the plank.
Arr matey.

And some pillaging of another teams pitchers would be nice too :evil:

Unassisted
07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Make Eddie Guardado the captain. Just imagine team meetings being led by the most openly gung-ho veteran player Cincinnati has seen in years!

I vote Griffey for Treasurer and LaRue for Sergeant at Arms. ;)

FlyingPig
07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
When Jr. agrees to move to a corner outfield position or first base for the improvement of the team, then he's a captain in my eyes..till then..

no

oregonred
07-23-2006, 07:27 PM
KGJs forgettable Homestand: 5-36, 1 2B, 1HR, 4 BB (.225OBP, .250 SLG, .475 OPS homestand). One huge hit on Friday night for sure, but man is Junior in an awful funk (sub- .600 OPS for July). He's making Castro look like Pujols since Manos de Oro has returned.

For the season he's at .292 OBP (82 points below his career norm) and 70 pts below his career SLG%. Blech...

Somehow they still went 7-3 despite getting some simply awful production from their #3 man in the lineup.

Ken -- Wakeup call! It's late July, the club is in contentionneeds your bat during this important NL Central stretch. :)

GAC
07-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Pete Rose was captain of the BRM. That was more with words than example.

Pete was; but actually, due to their ethnic diversity, the BRM had three "captains", and the Red's FO, IMO, wanted it that way to help some of the younger players (bonding/communication).....

Pete Rose - whites
Perez - Latin American
Morgan - African American

redsrule2500
07-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Pete was; but actually, due to their ethnic diversity, the BRM had three "captains", and the Red's FO, IMO, wanted it that way to help some of the younger players (bonding/communication).....

Pete Rose - whites
Perez - Latin American
Morgan - African American

eh...what?!

wally post
07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
If that's what it takes to move Grif down to cleanup and into a corner OF, I'm for it.

Agreed.
I was thinking that Grif would have to volunteer for cleanup and corner OF - and then MAYBE he should be captain. Probably still not - he isn't that kind of leader in my opinion.

RedFanAlways1966
07-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Captains are for ice hockey & football. Baseball? Don't need it!

zombie-a-go-go
07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Obviously it should be Rich Aurilia. I mean, he has postseason experience and everything. This team needs a captain who's been there-done that and seen it all... who better than "The Vet?"

;)

GAC
07-24-2006, 09:50 AM
eh...what?!

It was actually a very smart move, or a situation "promoted" by the Red's FO. They didn't come out and say that they had three "captains" - when asked, the "title" was obviously Pete's. But the situation I posted above worked out very well for them in the clubhouse.

For example: who better to help out a young Latin American player - be a mentor/support - better then a veteran Latin American player?

And so on and so on.

The book "Cincinnati and the Big Red Machine" by Robert Harris "Hub" Walker, which was given to me awhile back by Heath himself, talks extensively about it. An excellent book IMO.

Look how Jose Rijo helped out in that area a few years back.

Clubhouses have their cliques too. ;)

Danny Serafini
07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I've always thought the whole captain concept was overrated, especially in hockey where they seem to live and die by it. Leaders will emerge, and the players will know who they are. You don't need a C sewn on a jersey to know who to listen to.

REDREAD
07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
After all the crap Larkin got for being captain, I don't want the Reds to ever have another captain again.

KronoRed
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Obviously it should be Rich Aurilia. I mean, he has postseason experience and everything. This team needs a captain who's been there-done that and seen it all... who better than "The Vet?"

;)
One man.

Juan Castro

GAC
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
One man.

Juan Castro

His Dad is the communist leader of a small island nation..... No thanks! ;)