PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Reds!

schroomytunes
07-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Well with more money available to us next year I was trying to figure out what our team could look like next year, with the addition of several key free agents. I'm not going overboard on these as we never land the big guys, but we should be ok next year. Here goes:

Starters: Arroyo, Harang, TED LILLY, Lizard, Milton

Bullpen: EDDIE GUARDADO, Coffey, Bray, Majewski, Standridge, Claussen, DAVID RISKE

Outfield: Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia

Infield: EE, Phillips, ADAM KENNEDY, SCOTT HATTEBERG

Catcher: Larue

Backups: Freel, Ross, Aurilia, JUAN CASTRO, Wise

I think we will be able to retain guys like Guardado, Castro, and Hatteberg pretty easily, but I think a Ted Lilly and David Riske help bolster the pitching staff to form a strong unit. IMO I think Kennedy provides us solid infield play at 2nd base.

Jpup
07-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Well with more money available to us next year I was trying to figure out what our team could look like next year, with the addition of several key free agents. I'm not going overboard on these as we never land the big guys, but we should be ok next year. Here goes:

Starters: Arroyo, Harang, TED LILLY, Lizard, Milton

Bullpen: EDDIE GUARDADO, Coffey, Bray, Majewski, Standridge, Claussen, DAVID RISKE

Outfield: Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia

Infield: EE, Phillips, ADAM KENNEDY, SCOTT HATTEBERG

Catcher: Larue

Backups: Freel, Ross, Aurilia, JUAN CASTRO, Wise

I think we will be able to retain guys like Guardado, Castro, and Hatteberg pretty easily, but I think a Ted Lilly and David Riske help bolster the pitching staff to form a strong unit. IMO I think Kennedy provides us solid infield play at 2nd base.

Why would you want to keep Castro and acquire Kennedy when you certainly have better options inside the organization?

RedLegSuperStar
07-24-2006, 08:48 AM
I think Votto has proven himself in the minors to get at least a shot at 1st. If Hat would re-sign for the same amount and wouldn't mind sharing time at 1st then ok.

edabbs44
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Votto has proven himself in the minors to get at least a shot at 1st. If Hat would re-sign for the same amount and wouldn't mind sharing time at 1st then ok.
Only problem there is they are both lefties. A righty would look better as a backup.

registerthis
07-24-2006, 10:18 AM

The kind of year he's having, he'd certainly command more than $750,000 on the market.

corkedbat
07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking there's a good chance that Tyler Pelland is the second lefty (along with Bray) out of the pen by the trade deadline next year (if not out of ST) - Claussen could be the third if he can't regain his starting spot or isn't used as a deal sweetner. Every Day Eddie's done a fine job so far, but I'm hoping they come up with a better longer range RH Closer solution before ST

I could see a seven-man pen of:

Belisle or Standridge or Shafer
Claussen or Schackleford
Coffey
Pelland
Majewski
Bray
(Closer Acquisition)

OldXOhio
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
My guess is next year's roster will not include both Milton and Claussen again.

corkedbat
07-24-2006, 01:52 PM
My guess is next year's roster will not include both Milton and Claussen again.

The ideal situation would be for Junior and Milton to finish failry strong this year and allow Krivsky to find an AL contender who needs a DH and clubhouse figure willing to take Junior for anything decent in return, asa well as a team with a pitcher's ballpark willing to take Milton. I'd even be willing to pay half of their salaries to save half. In reality though, I'd be ecstatic if we can move just one for anything of any value.

It's nothing personal against Junior, it's just that I think with the Kearns/Lopez deal there are no major pieces to be dealt that will being any real return and moving one or both of those contracts might allow us to be competitive in the free agent market.

Considering that we probably don't have much to trade, I'd like to see us land a name starter and at least one bat in free agency.

I'd love to see a deal something like LaRue, Freel and Claussen dealt for something. A 1B like Ryan Shealy would be nice to combine with either Hatteberg or Votto. An OF, middle infielder or arm would be nice too.

Krivsky still has an opportunity to really put his stamp on this franchise and revitalize it for the foreseeable future, but he's gonna have to be very shrewd and very creative.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Starters: Arroyo, Harang, TED LILLY, Lizard, Bailey

Fixed :D

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Bailey should not be a starter next year.

Milton..for 10 mill ;)

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Fixed :D

You know Matt, I'm starting to side with you on Bailey. He still needs some seasoning, but if he can pitch the way he is pitching now come spring training then he gets my vote for the rotation. Here's my 2007 Reds:

C - Jason LaRue

1B - Scott Hatteberg
2B - Luis Castillo
SS - Brandon Phillips
3B - Edwin Encarnacion
RF - Ryan Freel
CF - Ken Griffey Jr
LF - Adam Dunn

C - David Ross
IF - Joey Votto
IF - Ray Olmedo
OF - Chris Denorfia
C/1B - Javy Valentin

Mike Mussina
Bronson Arroyo
Aaron Harang
Eric Milton
Kyle Lohse

Rheal Cormier
Brandon Claussen
Todd Coffey
Bill Bray
Gary Majewski
Matt Belisle
Brain Shackelford

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2006, 05:29 PM
No one else has a prediction what this team will look like come 2007...

...yes I cheated and revamped my 25 man squad...

vaticanplum
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Mark Beurhle

I love him (despite his recent bad stretch), but if I had to pick one free agent pitcher who's staying where he is, Buehrle would be the one. I think he'll be a lifetime White Sox.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Only problem there is they are both lefties. A righty would look better as a backup.
Aurilia, Rich

PuffyPig
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The Pale Hose have an option on Mark B. for next year.

edabbs44
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Aurilia, Rich
I forgot...he's due for a 5 year extension.

vaticanplum
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
The Pale Hose have an option on Mark B. for next year.

Oh well then I more than definitely don't think he is going anywhere.

Is anyone hopping on my Zito train? There's room, though the air is full of wishful thinking...

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh well then I more than definitely don't think he is going anywhere.

Is anyone hopping on my Zito train? There's room, though the air is full of wishful thinking...

Im for it.. but the Mets will be his new home. If i'm Krivs i'd see if I could get a bite on a 5 year 70-75 million dollar offer...

TC81190
08-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Aurilia, Rich

285/340/515, 14 HRs (270 ABs)

A real backup.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Nah, that train will end up in California and I don't want to visit ;)

flyer85
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
all I know is what was once a young nucleus now looks like a geriatric ward.

Falls City Beer
08-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm honestly surprised that Wayne didn't pick up David Bell when he had the chance.

RedLegSuperStar
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm honestly surprised that Wayne didn't pick up David Bell when he had the chance.

Nothing like a team of 30+ Vets with about 10 bullpen guys

osuceltic
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
all I know is what was once a young nucleus now looks like a geriatric ward.
Harang, Arroyo, Dunn, Phillips, Encarnacion, Ross, Freel, Denorfia, Coffey, Bray ... I'd say that's the young nucleus. And we haven't even mentioned Bailey, Votto, Bruce, Wood, etc.

All this hand-wringing over Aurilia, Hatteberg, etc. ... Every team in the league has stopgap veterans. This has to be the most over-*****ed-about subject in a season of over-*****ed-about subjects.

Spring~Fields
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have any insights as to how much of a budget Krivsky will have to work with in 2007 and how much of it is already committed?

RedLegSuperStar
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have any insights as to how much of a budget Krivsky will have to work with in 2007 and how much of it is already committed?

To add to that.. Is Milton signed through 2006, 2007? Club/Player option?

I would think payroll would be higher especially if the team makes the playoffs. Hopefully though the money is well spent.

BRM
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
To add to that.. Is Milton signed through 2006, 2007? Club/Player option?

I would think payroll would be higher especially if the team makes the playoffs. Hopefully though the money is well spent.

I believe Milton has a player option for 2007 that he is sure to exercise.

RedLegSuperStar
08-03-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks..

:( :cry: :bang: :thumbdown :help:

BRM
08-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not 100% positive on that though. I just remember hearing it or reading it somewhere.

RedLegSuperStar
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM

yeah.. unfortunatly I google'd it to find he has a option to pick up or decline with 9 Million being on the table. He'll most likly pick that up cause I doubt he'd find a job for more than that. Which COULD be a good thing.. he COULD pitch better knowing he is in the final year of his deal.

redsandrails
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Well barring a trade the salary will look like this:

Guys making over a million signed already:

Griffey- 12.5M
Dunn- 10.5M
Milton- 10M
LaRue- 5.2M
Arroyo- 3.8M
Aurilia- 2M (if option exercized)
Hatteburg- 1.5M
Castro- 1M (if option exercized)

Arbitration:
Lohse- likely 1M or less
Harang- likely 3.5-4.5 M
Freel- likely 2 M

500k on average:

Encarnacion
Donorfia
Ramirez
Bray
Coffey
Phillips
Ross
Majewski
Claussen
Belisle
Standridge
Watson
Votto?

23-24 players...

Commitments are already in the 58 million neighborhood... keep in mind out of these 500k or less guys probably 1-2 will not be on the roster very much. Some of the aribitration figures might have been a little high and a lot of the guys I said 500k on average will get closer to 300k.

Shopping probably includes as it stands:

-1-2 bullpen arms (ideally 1 LHP and 1 RHP). (about 1.5M on average per arm)
-One decent but moderately priced bench bat. (less than 1M)

-Starter depending on how much $ is left.

LaRue and Milton trades would leave about 20-22M for free agents, however if a 65M budget.

DJF33
08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Redsandrails,

You don't have Cormier listed. Remember they signed him for next year to get him to agree to the trade.