PDA

View Full Version : BP reporting that Wilson is officially done for '06

Marc D
07-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Its premium so no link but at the bottom of the "under the knife" Will Carroll mentions it. It appears something went wrong after his latest rehab assignment. Gotta think thats all she wrote for his career.

westofyou
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5333

Paul Wilson is done for the season after his latest rehab outing. The question now is if he’s just plain done… Kent Mercker hits the DL with an inflamed elbow. That alone makes the Majewski-Bray deal seem slightly better. Only slightly, though…

OldXOhio
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Shouldn't this say "Wilson is officially done for 06...and 07...and 08....and....."?

RedsManRick
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Paul Wilson is done for the season after his latest rehab outing. The question now is if he’s just plain done… Kent Mercker hits the DL with an inflamed elbow. That alone makes the Majewski-Bray deal seem slightly better. Only slightly, though…

Here you go.

redsfan30
07-24-2006, 01:18 PM
You have to feel bad for a guy like Wilson. He has put his entire being into getting back and playing the game he loves and he just hasn't been able to do it. I for one sure hope to see him on the mound at least once next season at Great American Ball Park, just so all his hard work and dedication can pay off.

flyer85
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
:shocked:

It was a fait accompli.

redsandrails
07-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah I'd give him a MLC in the offseason for the heck of it and invitation to ST. If he does very well in spring training then give him the 5th starter spot/ a long reliever spot. Who knows he could also be a decent reliever if he worked on it.

Jpup
07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'd give him a MLC in the offseason for the heck of it and invitation to ST. If he does very well in spring training then give him the 5th starter spot/ a long reliever spot. Who knows he could also be a decent reliever if he worked on it.

he would have to pitch left handed.

RBA
07-24-2006, 02:01 PM
You have to feel bad for a guy like Wilson. He has put his entire being into getting back and playing the game he loves and he just hasn't been able to do it. I for one sure hope to see him on the mound at least once next season at Great American Ball Park, just so all his hard work and dedication can pay off.

I hope he can make it back to the show. But I hope the Reds put the most deserving pitchers out there. If he doesn't perform ahead of his competition, than he has no business pitching for the Reds.

M2
07-24-2006, 02:04 PM

It's pretty much a guarantee that won't happen as the Reds won't be picking up his option. Contractully-speaking, he's going to have move on to another organization or an independent league.

cumberlandreds
07-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I hate to anyone's MLB career come to an end,especially someone who seems to love the game as much as Wilson does. It was/is a longshot for him to comeback. You have to admire his effort. If he can't comeback I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does.

4256 Hits
07-24-2006, 02:27 PM
He should thank DanO for his 8+ mil retirement package. Good luck w/ life after baseball Paul.

RBA
07-24-2006, 02:34 PM
He should thank DanO for his 8+ mil retirement package. Good luck w/ life after baseball Paul.

Does any type of insurance policy kick in? Or would an insurance company not take that risk?

TRF
07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I wonder if after a year or so off if he might turn to coaching. I think Wilson became a very smart pitcher, just never a healthy one.

Ltlabner
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I've gotten to the point in life where even if I am the one calling for a guy to get shipped out and he sucks royally, when it actually comes down, I do feal bad for the guy getting fired. Doesn't mean I don't want him fired (Mays for example), but still it sucks to see a guy lose his job, especially when you know it's the end of the rode for him.

Then Wilson, who seems like a standup guy is pretty much done and it really sucks. Doesn't mean he shouldn't hang it up, but I'm sure it's hard for him and it's hard to watch. Maybe he can stick around as a coach or consultant type.

KronoRed
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Not suprised to read this, nice he gave it a try though.

Hooligan
07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I was hoping to see Paulie just one more time.

Strikes Out Looking
07-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I met Paul before Spring Training last year, he was a stand up guy, autographing things for my kids when he didn't have to. If all the Reds worked as hard as he did, we wouldn't ever hear complaints about their work ethic. It's a shame his arm didn't hold up. I'll root for him, whatever he chooses to do next.

Gallen5862
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I am sure that their had to be some type of insurance policy. I also hope that Paul Wilson can work as some type pitching coach.

flyer85
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I am sure that their had to be some type of insurance policy. I seriously doubt it, the Reds knew there were shoulder issues and DanO signed him anyway.

Roy Tucker
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
IIRC, Lloyd's (or whoever did these player salary insurance policies) stopped doing them a couple years back. They were losing their proverbial shirt's on the deals.

KronoRed
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I seriously doubt it, the Reds knew there were shoulder issues and DanO signed him anyway.
Hail Dan O

LawFive
07-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Does any type of insurance policy kick in? Or would an insurance company not take that risk?

Since he had previous arm trouble, it's a pre-existing condition and no reasonable insurer would write a policy.