PDA

View Full Version : Harold Reynolds fired by ESPN....

LexingtonRedsFan
07-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I found this on the internet....

July 25, 2006 -- ESPN yesterday fired analyst Harold Reynolds from Baseball Tonight, sources told The Post. The reason was not immediately known.
"We are not going to comment," ESPN VP Josh Krulewitz said.

When asked how they are going to explain that Reynolds will never be on the air again, Krulewitz still declined comment.

Reynolds did not return calls.

Reynolds, 45, had been with ESPN 11 years. He had been a fixture on the show, which is a gathering spot for baseball fans, players and team executives.

The program already is dealing with the loss of information man Peter Gammons. Gammons is recovering from a brain aneurysm that occurred at the end of last month. The show's main analysts had been Reynolds, Gammons and John Kruk.

In Gammons' absence, ex-Met GM Steve Phillips has played a bigger role on the show. The program uses several analysts, including Orel Hershiser, Tino Martinez and Jeff Brantley.

Last night, host Karl Ravech was joined by Kruk and Phillips. Reynolds usually is on Monday nights.

Reynolds was known for a smooth style that usually was player friendly. He never found himself in too much controversy for what he said on the air. In fact, ESPN was so high on him he was expected to stay with the network through its just signed eight-year deal with MLB.

Now, after yesterday, Reynolds is no longer welcome in Bristol

http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

RedsRock
07-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow....why would get rid of Reynolds and keep Kruk around?? Reynolds is one of the few analysts on ESPN that I can stand for more than 2 minutes.

smith288
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Reynolds was known for a smooth style that usually was player friendly. He never found himself in too much controversy for what he said on the air.

Perhaps he wasn't "outrageous" enough and it annoyed ESPN? Doubtful though. A shame, because there really isnt a whole bunch of Baseball tonight like shows for him to go to.

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 08:20 AM
That stinks... Reynolds will hook on somewhere. He's quality.

Heath
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I'll take Harold Reynolds every day and twice on Sunday.

ESPN's baseball tonight is a shell of what it once was. John Kruk is un-informed, un-intellegent, and looks absolutely hideous in a shirt and tie. He's an embarrassment to the what professional broadcasting is left.

My favorite Baseball Tonight memories involved Berman, Reynolds, and Soup Campbell. That was fun.

Hey Castellini - get rid of the Creeper and put in Rey-Rey.

Maybe they want Rob Dibble back. :bang:

Tony Cloninger
07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Dave Campbell was very good.... i agree.

Maybe HR got in trouble for something other than what he does/says on the show?

bucksfan
07-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Wow - too bad. I know he wasn't perfect, but he was far and away my favorite person on the show.

letsgojunior
07-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Harold Reynolds was great IMO - ESPN's loss (as they descend further and further into becoming the sports version of E!).

Strikes Out Looking
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM
IMHO, You don't get fired in the middle of a contract in the middle of the season unless it is non-on air related.

RFS62
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Harold Reynolds was great IMO - ESPN's loss (as they descend further and further into becoming the sports version of E!).

More like Tiger Beat.

GAC
07-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Harold must have dun sumpin' ;)

Roy Tucker
07-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I think Harold got caught with his hand in the cookie jar or something.

Chip R
07-25-2006, 09:01 AM
It must have been pretty serious cause they have still have guys there who have done some stuff that would usually get you fired in a heartbeat.

Krusty
07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
It must have been pretty serious cause they have still have guys there who have done some stuff that would usually get you fired in a heartbeat.

I have to agree.

RBA
07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Well we shouldn't be spreading gossip. But I'm dying to find out the real story.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
I quit watching since they decided to turn it into the Red Sox/Yankees show. I won't even know Harold is gone.

OldRightHander
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
It appears that I'm not the only person who liked him more than the others on that show. I thought he was one of the few sensible people left at ESPN. Maybe he's not sensational enough.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Harold was by far my favorite personality on that show. I'm really interested to hear what actually happened.

I really enjoyed watching the celebrity softball games during All Star week when he and Kenny Mayne coached. Guess that's a thing of the past.

:(

Unassisted
07-25-2006, 09:48 AM
IMHO, You don't get fired in the middle of a contract in the middle of the season unless it is non-on air related.I think Gary Miller's window-whizzing incident is making everyone assume the answer must be lurid.

It might also be that a new boss has taken over and wants to shake up the ratings.

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 09:48 AM
It appears that I'm not the only person who liked him more than the others on that show. I thought he was one of the few sensible people left at ESPN. Maybe he's not sensational enough.

It has to be something major because:

1) he was the best analyst on the show
2) Peter Gammons is still recovering and they aren't exactly overflowing with analysts to replace him or Reynolds.
3) The trade deadline is coming up and they're going to need "all hands on deck."

I hope that whatever it is, that Harold Reynolds, the person, is ok. I would hate to find out that he has "off field" issues going on. I really enjoy H.R.'s style, his information, and knowledge, and his general love for the game. He's pretty much the only one on that show that I enjoyed listening to with Gammons gone and I wish the best for him as a person.

cumberlandreds
07-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Had to be something off air to be canned so quickly and in the middle of the season. We will probably hear, in time, through some back channels on what happened.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 09:54 AM
It has to be something major because:

1) he was the best analyst on the show
2) Peter Gammons is still recovering and they aren't exactly overflowing with analysts to replace him or Reynolds.
3) The trade deadline is coming up and they're going to need "all hands on deck."

I hope that whatever it is, that Harold Reynolds, the person, is ok. I would hate to find out that he has "off field" issues going on. I really enjoy H.R.'s style, his information, and knowledge, and his general love for the game. He's pretty much the only one on that show that I enjoyed listening to with Gammons gone and I wish the best for him as a person.
Couldn't agree more.

savafan
07-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I wonder if he will be replaced by Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin...ooh...or Jay Mariotti!!!

Chip R
07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I wonder if he will be replaced by Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin...ooh...or Jay Mariotti!!!

I forgot about Irvin and his recent brush with the law. ESPN certainly stood by him.

NC Reds
07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I concur with the general sentiment on the board. Harold Reynolds was one of their top talents. This is disappointing. It won't be long before the backstory breaks out on why it happened.

kyred14
07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
More Jeff Brantley!! YES!! :rolleyes:

Strikes Out Looking
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
A few years ago, when Tony Kornheiser had a radio show on ESPN, his producer, Dennis Horgan was fired for sending e-mails (interoffice) that ESPN considered either dirty or lurid or something like that. Tony protested the firing and was suspended for about a month. ESPN claims they have a no tolerance policy and that is why they fired Dennis, it was not related to his job performance.

My guess is something like that happened here. I won't be surprised to see Harold show up on Fox or even TBS/TNT under it's new baseball package.

edabbs44
07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
A few years ago, when Tony Kornheiser had a radio show on ESPN, his producer, Dennis Horgan was fired for sending e-mails (interoffice) that ESPN considered either dirty or lurid or something like that. Tony protested the firing and was suspended for about a month. ESPN claims they have a no tolerance policy and that is why they fired Dennis, it was not related to his job performance.

My guess is something like that happened here. I won't be surprised to see Harold show up on Fox or even TBS/TNT under it's new baseball package.
Dirty emails = bad
Crack pipes and marijuana = good

Chip R
07-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Perhaps, but guys there have done things along a similar vein and they were not only fired but were promoted. Mike Tirico is a prime example.

Unassisted
07-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I won't be surprised to see Harold show up on Fox or even TBS/TNT under it's new baseball package.Here's an idea that's plausible. Maybe Harold got sacked because he signed on with the new networks carrying MLB?

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Perhaps, but guys there have done things along a similar vein and they were not only fired but were promoted. Mike Tirico is a prime example.
If Marv Albert can "recover," so can Reynolds.

Here's an idea that's plausible. Maybe Harold got sacked because he signed on with the new networks carrying MLB?
I sure hope that is the case.

RedsManRick
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Over the last 5 years or so, Baseball Tonight has become to baseball news what Geraldo Rivera is to political news. It's dumbed down, sensationalized, and more or less a waste of time -- particularly given other options such as MLB radio and XM.

That said, Reynolds was the one voice who at least presented things articulatley, if not always logically. I hope he was fired for professional concerns (such as breach of contract) and not personal ones, such that we may see him back with a different station.

lollipopcurve
07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
particularly given other options such as MLB radio and XM.

And this message board, for me. I don't think I've seen a total of an hour of BBTN all season.

WVRed
07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
IIRC, wasn't Rich Eisen fired by ESPN for blasting Mark Cuban then replaced by Dan Patrick?

Strikes Out Looking
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
IIRC, wasn't Rich Eisen fired by ESPN for blasting Mark Cuban then replaced by Dan Patrick?

I don't think he was fired, I thought he quit to go to the NFL Network.

ramp101
07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I bet HR ends up with TBS' baseball crew next year

backbencher
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
He said those four little words to the wrong person:

"You're with me, leather."

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
I like Harold Reynolds....

LincolnparkRed
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
This is from deadspin

It's very difficult to get fired from ESPN. It takes multiple offenses ... they're usually so worried about getting sued for unlawful termination that people are suspended multiple times for the same repeated behavior before it finally comes to getting fired. Within the walls of the campus, there are only a few on-air talent guys that had an honest reputation as being overly friendly with the ladies, and HR was one of them.

So anyway, that's what they're saying on the Bristol campus. But since ESPN doesn't have to say anything -- in-house or otherwise -- and neither does Reynolds, we might never know for sure. (No announcement, we're told, has been made to the staff.) That's what they're saying, though; we didn't receive a single email suggesting anything but that.

Heath
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
So basically Harold got his stick stuck in the wicket a little too much - or was denied more than he wanted.

Baseball players never die, do they?

StillFunkyB
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, IMHO, there goes the tiny bit of credibility the show had left.

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I quit watching since they decided to turn it into the Red Sox/Yankees show. I won't even know Harold is gone.
Agreed, I watched it for the allstar show and was sad to see how bad the show is now.

Cyclone792
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
What I'm hearing over at SOSH is that Reynolds' dismissal may be related to alleged sexual harrassment charges (and possibly even a civil lawsuit) against Reynolds by Bonnie Bernstein.

I have zero idea if this is true or not - I'm just relaying what I've read - but if true then that would probably be serious enough to justify canning the guy in the middle of the season.

There's also other speculations and rumors I'm hearing. One is Reynolds fighting with John Kruk behind the scenes and off the air over the ARod situation. The other has to do with comments Reynolds apparently made on an XM radio station regarding the differences in what they say backstage compared to what they say on camera.

At this point, though, I'm not sure anybody really knows what's going on.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I REALLY hope this has nothing to do with sexual crimes.

Joseph
07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I can see hitting on Bonnie Bernstein....wait did I just say that outloud?

Anyway, I hope Harold doesn't have any addictions [chemical or mental] he needs to handle and can return to some baseball show next season for Fox or TBS or where his dear friend Junior plays as a replacement TV guy.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I can see hitting on Bonnie Bernstein....wait did I just say that outloud?
If it's Erin Andrews, well then I can't get too upset.

;)

Cyclone792
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
If it's Erin Andrews, well then I can't get too upset.

;)

Erin Andrews > Bonnie Bernstein ;)

But hey, there's nothin' wrong with Bonnie, either!

Like you said above, I really hope the rumors and buzz about harrassment are not true. Unfortunately, that's the only rumor I've heard that'd seemingly be serious enough to justify firing him not only right in the middle of the season, but a week before the trading deadline when the baseball media is going ten thousand miles an hour.

StillFunkyB
07-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, if he did was involved in sexual harrasement, then a firing is indeed warranted.

If he was fired because he disagreed with the morons that are on that show, then that is sad. Then again, ESPN is garbage, so it wouldn't surprise me.

RBA
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Andrews_erin_i.jpg http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Links/Other/BBernstein1.jpg

Erin Andrews > Bonnie Bernstein ?? hmm are they both wearing the same necklace given to them by Harold Reynolds?

Joseph
07-25-2006, 04:48 PM
To paraphrase my father in laws favorite statement, 'I wouldn't kick Bonnie out of bed for eating crackers.'

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Wasn't several guys let go over there down through the years over $$$$? Olberman, Sharpe etc.? Something to ponder!

HotCorner
07-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Found this ...

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php

cReds1
07-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I think it is funny that shows like PTI, Around the Horn and the Sports Reporters can critcize everything under the sun, but when one of their own gets the axe especially if it is for sexual harassment then they are quiet as a mouse. Funny, if you really think about it or should I say what a bunch of hypocrites!

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm guessing as more information comes out, they'll say stuff about it. That's how the Michael Irvin situation was handled, if I remember right.

MWM
07-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Michael Irvin's was a matter of public record as he was arrested. Reynolds has not been arrested.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Michael Irvin's was a matter of public record as he was arrested. Reynolds has not been arrested.
True.

ramp101
07-25-2006, 10:34 PM
(UPDATE: Another reader, with "contacts on the inside," refutes the sexual harassment whispers: "Anyone who is saying sexual harassment either has been given bad third-hand info or is lying. Harold has had a couple of rather heated arguments with the producers at "Baseball Tonight," and some of the suits at ESPN over the program's coverage of Alex Rodriguez. At the last production meeting, when it was made clear they were going to really play up the A-Rod angle during coverage of the Yankees-Texas series, Harold had a colossal meltdown, which led to his dismissal. The sexual harassment allegations are even more laughable when you consider that he is being replaced by Steve Phillips -- a man who has never met a skirt he wouldn't chase and who was caught in one of the more embarrassing front office sexual harassment scandals in MLB history."
interesting to say the least

MWM
07-25-2006, 10:43 PM
If that's the case re: the ARod situation, I don't blame him and it's nice to see someone drawing the line somewhere. The way ESPN is treating the whole situation is pretty sad. But that's ESPN.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
If that's really the case, I'll have lost all respect for ESPN.

All of it.

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Was Harold still playing in Seattle when A-Rod joined the team?

I know he's the only one who stuck up for Jr (on ESPN) for a long long time. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he tried to do the same thing for Alex.

Harold knows baseball; he'll have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

What baffles me is the way ESPN is handling... or rather, the fact that they aren't. Just tonight they had a pat statement "Harold Reynolds has been fired and ESPN has no comment". That was it; they just went on to their next program piece.

Rojo
07-26-2006, 03:17 AM
Erin Andrews > Bonnie Bernstein ;)

Man, you need a new TV.

LexingtonRedsFan
07-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Heres todays (7/26) take on it...it appears that the "harrassment" angle is the reason....

July 26, 2006 -- After being accused of sexual harassment and fired by ESPN, former "Baseball Tonight" analyst Harold Reynolds said yesterday he doesn't think he did anything wrong and is still hoping to regain his job.
"This was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told The Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

Reynolds declined to give any more details. The woman who accused Reynolds of the sexual harassment is an ESPN co-worker, according to sources.

Yesterday, ESPN confirmed The Post's report that Reynolds had been fired, but they would not comment any further.

"He no longer works here," ESPN VP Josh Krulewitz said.

Still, Reynolds is hopeful ESPN executives will change their minds. Besides being with the network for 11 years, Reynolds had just signed a new six-year contract to remain in Bristol and he recently got married.

Reynolds limited his comments, because he didn't want to go into too many details for fear of saying something that could hurt his chances of reversing ESPN's decision.

Reynolds, 45, started with ESPN after a 12-year major league career.

ESPN has been vigilant about sexual harassment because it reportedly has been a problem in Bristol for years. In 2000, the book "ESPN: The Uncensored History" reported rampant cases of harassment of women. Most prominently mentioned was Mike Tirico, who was even suspended at one point.

Tirico, though, never was fired and now is one of the main faces of the network. This fall, he will be ESPN's new voice for "Monday Night Football." Since the book's release, ESPN has denied its validity.

ESPN is known for giving its top on-air employees warnings. There are many cases where ESPN executives have chosen to provide on-air personnel with second chances.

Last NFL season, Michael Irvin was charged with a misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. Despite Irvin's past problems, he was only suspended for a weekend and that was mostly because he did not immediately report the incident to ESPN executives.

Earlier this baseball season, Rick Sutcliffe conducted a rambling on-air interview while intoxicated. Sutcliffe was only suspended for one game.

Without Reynolds, "Baseball Tonight" will continue to have an unfamiliar look. The show was already dealing with the loss of its other fixture, Peter Gammons, who suffered a brain aneurysm last month. Gammons is recovering nicely, but is not scheduled to return soon.

Karl Ravech is still the show's main host. He will be joined by the other mainstay, John Kruk, on most nights. Ex-Mets GM Steve Phillips, who already was seeing more time in place of Gammons, figures to become an even more integral part of the program.

ESPN also can call on Orel Hershiser, Jeff Brantley, Tino Martinez, Orestes Destrades, Tim Kurkjian and Buster Olney as replacements for Reynolds.

"We'll get contributions from everybody from our deep commentator pool," Krulewitz said.

andrew.marchand@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/sports/accused_of_sexual_harassment_sports_andrew_marchan d.htm

RBA
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Harold Reynolds Update: Outback Steakhouse, an Inappropriate Hug, and a Termination (http://thebiglead.com/?p=714)

http://bryan-brown.com/sportsemmy05candids/images/_MG_5843_lr.jpg So after a few hours of digging, and kicking over a few rocks, here’s what we’re hearing about the termination of ESPN baseball analyst Harold Reynolds, who worked at the Worldwide Leader for 11 years until Monday: All the stories you’re reading over at Deadspin (http://thebiglead.com/go.php?http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php) are accurate: Reynolds was a skirt-chasing cad, and last weekend, says a source, he reached an unfortunate tipping point.
Over the weekend, Reynolds allegedly took a PA for a meal at Outback Steakhouse. Afterward, he hugged her in a way that may have been deemed inappropriate. Apparently, the PA felt weirded out, and decided to file a complaint.
When the complaint was lodged, it became evident to ESPN brass that Reynolds had a massive file full of complaints of this nature. Supposedly, he was terminated sometime Monday morning.
While we’re hearing plenty of swell stories about the former Mariners second baseman (http://thebiglead.com/go.php?http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,29819.60.html), the sexual harassment claims are quite serious, and extremely unfortunate, because as we said earlier, we enjoyed his work on Baseball Tonight.
EARLIER: Breaking: ESPN Fires Harold Reynolds (http://thebiglead.com/go.php?http://thebiglead.com/?p=708)
Posted by TheBigLead on Tuesday, July 25th, 2006 at 9:45 pm.

cumberlandreds
07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Who or what is a PA? Intern maybe?
IF this is true then we have another Kirby Puckett. That is someone who on the camera seems charming and nice but outside of the cameras is someone who can't keep their hands off any woman he's around.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Where's the Outside the Lines special dedicated to the investigation of ESPN and the apparent lack of control of the network?

Where's Tom Friend when you need him?

I say give the network the death penalty, but that's just me.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Sounds like "the hug" was the proverbial straw. Also sounds like Reynolds has a problem, which I hope he can resolve.

Hubba
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Are you my son-in-law?:)
To paraphrase my father in laws favorite statement, 'I wouldn't kick Bonnie out of bed for eating crackers.'

dabvu2498
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Who or what is a PA? Intern maybe?
PA = production assistant... usually an intern-type person

RBA
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
If this is the case, than Reynolds should be to blame. I'm sure after what has been going around the past few years and the publicity around it, ESPN had some mandatory Sexual Harrasment Awareness classes and that every employee had to attend and possibly even sign a statement that they receive the training and they understand the policy and directorative around it. Also, there most likely a directive in place about fraternizing with PA's.

Chip R
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
You have to think there was more to this than SH. You think if Dan Patrick or Chris Berman did that they would be sacked? Not very likely.

smith288
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
a weird hug? Pfff

My brother would ask chicks for a kiss on his cheek only to turn to face them right as they kissed him... What a casanova.

Perhaps he did the hug of eternity where you hug a chick only to hold on a little longer than they want? Usually done in jest but I guess could be construde as harassing.

Chip R
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
a weird hug? Pfff

My brother would ask chicks for a kiss on his cheek only to turn to face them right as they kissed him... What a casanova.

Perhaps he did the hug of eternity where you hug a chick only to hold on a little longer than they want? Usually done in jest but I guess could be construde as harassing.

Maybe he was very glad to see her. :eek:

KittyDuran
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
a weird hug? Pfff

Perhaps he did the hug of eternity where you hug a chick only to hold on a little longer than they want? Usually done in jest but I guess could be construde as harassing.I could be in BIG trouble - I'm a big and long hugger...:help:

Blimpie
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I could be in BIG trouble - I'm a big and long hugger...:help:Hey, shouldn't Tiger Woods be doing 20 to life???

http://www.wral.com/2006/0723/9561997.jpg

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
No wonder O'Brien traded Casey for Dave Williams.

It's starting to make sense now....

flyer85
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey, shouldn't Tiger Woods be doing 20 to life???

http://www.wral.com/2006/0723/9561997.jpgMan love is OK

cumberlandreds
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
PA = production assistant... usually an intern-type person

Thanks. I thought an intern. Isn't it always when this type of thing happens.

RedFanAlways1966
07-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Things always look nicer at my work when those summer interns come in for a few months. Look real nice... but no hugs from me!!

:evil:

realreds1
07-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Man, you need a new TV.

Trudat.

Blimpie
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Man love is OKNice to see you around again, Ricardo :thumbup:

Hubba
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I think that it it was because he was black. Could be wrong though.:D
You have to think there was more to this than SH. You think if Dan Patrick or Chris Berman did that they would be sacked? Not very likely.

KronoRed
07-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Man love is OK
Except in starting lineups

cReds1
07-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey, shouldn't Tiger Woods be doing 20 to life???

http://www.wral.com/2006/0723/9561997.jpg

Only problem is that is Tiger's Best Friend and Harold had no woman best friend or he would not be in this predicament.

deltachi8
07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
IF it was a hug that got him canned, HR was on a last warning type of situation. One complaint, unless a serious offense, usually (not always) will not get you fired. A pattern, documented incidents and being warned a few times can and will get you fired.

All of which tells me HR has no one to blame but himself.

Team Clark
07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Andrews_erin_i.jpg http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Links/Other/BBernstein1.jpg

Erin Andrews > Bonnie Bernstein ?? hmm are they both wearing the same necklace given to them by Harold Reynolds?

Can you say "Yummy"? Me purr like kitten. Meow Meow...

WMR
07-26-2006, 11:50 PM
I'd like to "hug" Bonnie Bernstein.

GAC
07-27-2006, 09:41 AM

I can hear the woman now saying to Berman......"BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK!" :lol:

flyer85
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I can hear the woman now saying to Berman......"BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK!" :lol:While Chris is yelling
"HE .... COULD .... GO ..... ALL ..... THE ..... WAY"

registerthis
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
While Chris is yelling
"HE .... COULD .... GO ..... ALL ..... THE ..... WAY"

While Kenny Mayne was blubbering on about something being "cooler than the other side of the pillow."

GAC
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I wish I could get groped and hugged more by the opposite sex.

Can I file a discrimination lawsuit? ;)

flyer85
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I wish I could get groped and hugged more by the opposite sex.
Calling Rosie O, Calling Rosie O

OldXOhio
07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
While Kenny Mayne was blubbering on about something being "cooler than the other side of the pillow."

Stuart Scott

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Is that Kenny Mayne doing progressive commercials now?

Sad ;)

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Speaking of Bonnie Bernstein....she's hosting "Rome is Burning" today on ESPN

:)

dabvu2498
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Speaking of Bonnie Bernstein....she's hosting "Rome is Burning" today on ESPN

Infinity imporvement over Romy. :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Infinity imporvement over Romy. :thumbup:

New name:

Bonnie is Hot

TeamBoone
07-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know why I keep coming into this thread... I guess I keep thinking there will be something new that refutes the sexual harassment thing.

I like Harold, and this makes me sad.

Chip R
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
New name:

Bonnie is Hot

I always thought she was rather fetching.

I saw an article in the Enquirer today by a Florida columnist about how ESPN is treating this.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/SPT0401/607280397/1072/SPT04

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I saw an article in the Enquirer today by a Florida columnist about how ESPN is treating this.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/SPT0401/607280397/1072/SPT04
Thanks for posting Chip. Someone in the media calls out ESPN... I likey!

I think I posted this once before, but ESPN's silence on the issue leads me to believe that there will be serious civil litigation on this matter and ESPN is keeping its head low in order to avoid having it chopped off. Good luck with that!

cincinnati chili
07-29-2006, 12:42 PM
ASSUMING that Harold deserved to be fired, then ESPN is handling this correctly. Yapping about it can only cause problems later.

The one story that ESPN posted on its website was an AP story. In other words, ESPN doesn't want any details about it to come directly from them. They are worried about a defamation suit. And given Harold's popularity, they probably should be.

Chip R
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Here's something from ESPN's Ombudsman about the Harold Reynolds situation and other things as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2536746

Viewers baffled by Reynolds, World Cup decisions
By George Solomon
ESPN Ombudsman

ESPN's viewers know a lot about sports, teams, players, games and strategy. Test them on such matters and you'd likely be impressed by their knowledge, expertise, passion and curiosity.

But what baffles many ESPN viewers is ESPN itself.

The network, with its many arms and affiliations, including ESPNEWS, ESPN Outdoors, ESPN Original Entertainment, ESPN.com, ESPN The Magazine, BASS, ESPN Radio, ESPN International, ESPNU and a chain of restaurants, is a mega-media company that sometimes operates out of view in a way that confuses and puzzles the public it serves.

Many viewers do not understand much of ESPN's decision making -- whether it's the choice of lead story on "SportsCenter," what games are chosen to be put on the air or who announces those games. Nor do many viewers understand the relationship between ESPN and ABC Sports -- under the umbrella of the parent Disney Co. -- or the growing impact of the business side (such as mobile phones and publicizing upcoming Disney movies) on the network.

July might not have been a typical month in the life of ESPN. But two controversies -- the firing of baseball analyst Harold Reynolds and response to ESPN and ABC's coverage of the World Cup -- left a number of viewers looking for answers.

The termination of Reynolds from his ESPN duties, including his role on the popular "Baseball Tonight" show, came to light July 25 and sparked hundreds of e-mails from disappointed viewers, stories from newspaper and wire service reporters, and blog supposition as to why he was fired. The news of the dismissal was reported by Mike Greenberg on the 6 p.m. "SportsCenter" that day, as well as on ESPN.com, but ESPN would make no additional comment other than spokesman Josh Krulewitz's statement that Reynolds "no longer works here."

However, Newsday and the New York Post reported that Reynolds had been fired after being accused by a female co-worker of sexual harassment. Reynolds, who had been with ESPN for 11 years, told the New York Post's Andrew Marchand, "This was a total misunderstanding. My goal is to sit down and get back [to work at ESPN]. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

The next day, Reynolds told USA Today's Bob Nightengale that he met with ESPN executives but that his status did not change.

"I don't understand all the factors that went into ESPN's decision," he told USA Today. "But management has always had the power to terminate, and they decided to exercise it. I respectfully disagree with their decision, but I'm not going to sacrifice my relationship with ESPN just to make a media point."

ESPN's policy -- as is the case with many other companies -- is not to comment on confidential personnel matters. My call to Reynolds was not returned.

E-mails from viewers expressed unhappiness with ESPN for not being more specific regarding the action it took against a popular commentator. Some noted that ESPN would be more aggressive in its reporting if ESPN weren't "involved" in the story. But ESPN's news reporters did seek additional comment from ESPN executives, with no success. Other viewers pointed to current ESPN employees who have had previous legal problems but kept their jobs.

I understand viewer frustration at not getting more information from ESPN about Reynolds, whose popularity and competence have increased steadily, the result of which was a recently signed six-year contract. I also agree that ESPN has a responsibility to the complaining party and the dismissed employee to maintain confidentiality.

That shouldn't -- and hasn't -- stopped the rest of the media from trying to report a story that has no winner.

The second-most controversial issue of the month involved FIFA's World Cup, a monthlong soccer event covered by ABC Sports and ESPN that captivated much of the world and generated the type of passion from viewers I've rarely seen in my 13 months of doing this job.

Although ratings for the event soared to record highs for soccer in this country, many viewers expressed disappointment and anger over the coverage. At the center of the storm was lead play-by-play announcer Dave O'Brien, whose soccer background coming into the tournament was minimal (his experience was primarily in baseball).

Jed Drake, senior vice president for remote production, was one of several ESPN executives who selected O'Brien for the job.

"We felt the need to create a non-soccer-centric audience, which is why we chose Dave over a conventional soccer announcer," Drake explained. "We wanted someone to tell a story and to create a broader picture than a soccer aficionado might expect."

Drake added: "Our criteria for choosing the announcer was we wanted a great broadcaster who would work hard to learn the game and grasp the scope of the event. In my view, we made the right choice. Soccer viewers are very critical and expect a clipped style. But Dave did everything we asked, and while he made some mistakes, he grew with each game."

I agree with Drake; O'Brien improved with every game. But I also agree with many viewers who felt the selection of someone with so little soccer experience to cover the world's biggest soccer event was a mistake.

"Would you have someone who had never seen an NFL game be assigned a Super Bowl?" one viewer asked.

The answer, of course, is no.

The joke is on whom?

The 14th annual ESPY Awards show, which aired July 16 and was hosted by retired cycling champion Lance Armstrong, generally went off well, at least until Armstrong's ill-fated anal-sex remark to "Brokeback Mountain" star Jake Gyllenhaal. Armstrong, who won the Tour de France seven times, was glib and mostly funny in his monologues -- until his attempt to tweak his friend.

What surprised me is that ESPN had a chance to edit Armstrong's inappropriate line out of the show, because the taping in Hollywood occurred several days before the show aired, yet failed to do so.

I asked John Walsh, ESPN's executive vice president and executive editor, how Armstrong's line survived.

"We asked ourselves would this be offensive to gay people, and the answer was no," Walsh said. "No one felt strongly enough to take out a line that was a joke between two good friends."

I received a number of e-mails from viewers who disagreed with Walsh, including some from parents uncomfortable that their children heard the joke and several other off-color remarks by Armstrong.

The show had some bright moments, though, including the award for best moment given to Jason McElwain, the autistic high school basketball manager who scored 20 points when he finally got a chance to play in a game. That was special.

Surfing

I still would like to see a decrease in the volume of commercial/news tie-ins on ESPN, including the Mobile ESPN Rumor Line and the hyping of Disney's latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" film under the flimsiest of excuses (such as a mention of the Pittsburgh Pirates.) To me, "rumors" are stories not nailed down by reporting. Who needs a "Rumor Line"?

On a positive note, moving Bob Ley's "Outside the Lines: First Report" to 3:30 p.m. from the after-midnight position is encouraging to fans of good broadcast journalism.

Not so positive: After all the attention paid to the New Jersey NHL gambling scandal in February that involves Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky's wife, Janet Jones, and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, not much in the way of follow-up reporting by ESPN has occurred. Fairness demands more.

The staff of Stephen A. Smith's "Quite Frankly" should have known better than to e-mail potential members of the studio audience and tell them it would be acceptable to boo Cubs manager Dusty Baker, a scheduled guest on the show. Baker withdrew from the show when he heard about the e-mail. Also, Smith complaining to the media that the show isn't getting sufficient support from ESPN sounds a little whiny to me.

Some viewers wondered whether ESPN might be exploiting those children appearing on Chris Connelly's 10-part "My Wish" series in conjunction with the "Make-A-Wish Foundation." I don't agree. The series was tasteful and moving.

Talented Dan Le Batard, in a replacement role on "Pardon the Interruption," makes a legitimate point when he says too much of the media coverage about steroids is focused on Barry Bonds. But he was unfair in comparing Detroit Tigers catcher Ivan Rodriguez to Bonds. Those closely following the story know Rodriguez in no way compares to Bonds in the scope of what investigators are seeking and what they know.

Coverage of the "Home Run Derby" on ESPN this year was more restrained and improved compared with last year. Can't say the same about eating champion Takeru Kobayashi cleaning his plate in the annual July Fourth hot dog eating contest.

Was that unpleasant exchange between Dan Patrick and NBA commissioner David Stern at the NBA draft necessary? Shouldn't a commissioner of a major sport be treated with more respect?

I like ESPN's coverage of Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro's fight to survive. ... But wonder whether putting six athletes together in a reality series called "Summer House" elevates the television business. ... Nor do I find much sense in ESPN.com's Scoop Jackson writing that it's easier for young black men to make the NBA than to become sports writers. Scoop is wrong.

Next time: We get into ESPN's selection of games.

RedsFan75
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Chip that one almost deserves a thread of it's own... ESPN Seriously looking at the critisim leveled at it???

ochre
08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
ombudsman means "make excuses for your corporate masters" in the ESPN definition?

Chip R
08-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Chip that one almost deserves a thread of it's own... ESPN Seriously looking at the critisim leveled at it???

I don't know how serious it is. Soloman can say - as he mentioned in a previous column - that ESPN should be less Sox-Yankees centric but they don't have to do anything about it.

VR
08-02-2006, 02:22 PM
"I don't understand all the factors that went into ESPN's decision," he told USA Today. "But management has always had the power to terminate, and they decided to exercise it. I respectfully disagree with their decision, but I'm not going to sacrifice my relationship with ESPN just to make a media point."

What relationship? You've been terminated?

If I was innocent, I'd have every law firm in the Northeast on this, as well as multiple PR companies. Unless he's got a huge lawsuit brewing, Harold has probably had more than one 'incident' and this was the final straw.

My guess is he got a sweet deal to 'go-away', with the promise not to discuss the details publicly, or he'd risk losing the settlement money.

Redsland
08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
What relationship? You've been terminated?
This one?

I understand viewer frustration at not getting more information from ESPN about Reynolds, whose popularity and competence have increased steadily, the result of which was a recently signed six-year contract.
Smells like a buy-out with a hush clause.

Unassisted
04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Harold just landed a TV gig with the Mets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/04/24/2008-04-24_harold_reynolds_joins_sny_as_mets_analys.html

Harold Reynolds joins SNY as Mets analyst — Harold Reynolds' comeback continues. — Reynolds, who was fired by ESPN in 2006, allegedly for sexual harassment, has been hired by SportsNet New York as a studio analyst on Mets telecasts. — “I've never worked on a ‘local’ broadcast,” Reynolds said.