PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers acquire Dessens

BRM
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
for Odalis Perez.

Dodgers get Dessens for Perez, minor-league arms

The Los Angeles Dodgers have added some help by acquiring pitcher Elmer Dessens from Kansas City, CBS SportsLine.com has learned.

Dessens didn't come cheap: The Dodgers sent disgruntled lefty Odalis Perez to the Royals, along with some cash to offset part of what's left of Perez's $7.25 million contract this season and his $7.75 million salary in 2007.

The Dodgers also included two minor league pitchers in the deal, right-handers Blake Johnson and Julio Pimentel.

Dessens was 5-7 with a 4.50 ERA in 43 appearances for the Royals this season and is expected to pitch out of the bullpen in a return engagement with the Dodgers. He was employed by Los Angeles for part of the 2004 season and all of 2005 after previously pitching in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Arizona.

The combustible Perez opened the season in the Dodgers' rotation before pitching himself out of the club's plans with inconsistent performances and a couple of clubhouse outbursts that put him out of favor in the organization. Among other things, he had accused the Dodgers of treating him like "trash."

Sometimes, he has pitched that way -- he is 4-4 with a 6.83 ERA in 20 appearances this season, including eight starts.

The Dodgers, who have lost 12 of their past 13 games to fall into last place in the NL West, are looking for both pitching and hitting help.

General manager Ned Colletti said at midday Tuesday that he's beginning to see a bit of movement in what has been a stagnant market.

"Things are starting to open up a little today, just a touch," said Colletti, who is in Las Vegas on a scouting mission to watch the Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate. "But it's as slow as I remember it being.

"It's real slow."

LINK (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9571010)

Danny Serafini
07-25-2006, 03:32 PM
How far has Odalis Perez fallen that they have to throw in minor leaguers and cash just to get someone to take him for Elmer Dessens?

Joseph
07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Looks like he's fallen all the way to Kansas City. :)

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I wonder if this opens up the possibility of them trading Mark Redman? I could see them possibly not moving Redman before if they didn't have a replacement for him but now they have Odalis Perez and will have Zach Greinke back soon as well.

remdog
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
If Perez thought the Dodgers treated him like trash before he's got another 'think' comin'. So Odalis, how ya' liken bein' in the minors in Kansas City? :)

Rem

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Wow. Just, wow.

We've heard this is a sellers market, but Dessens for Odalis Perez?? Are you serious?? Maybe sticking with what you've got is the best option, Wayne.

redsmetz
07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Looks like he's fallen all the way to Kansas City. :)

Makes you wonder why LA didn't just retain Dessens after last season. I don't remember the particulars of why he left. Looks like he was a swing man for them last year.

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2006, 03:44 PM
How far has Odalis Perez fallen that they have to throw in minor leaguers and cash just to get someone to take him for Elmer Dessens?

Unreal!

So what value does Stormy have?

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
My Milton for Perez idea is dead.

If this is the market we should just be happy with what we have.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
If this is the market, maybe we should seriously consider selling despite the standings.

wolfboy
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM
If this is the market, maybe we should seriously consider selling despite the standings.

There's a tinge of guilt when I say it, but I almost agree. I would like to see what Wayne could net in an extreme seller's market. This would be the perfect market to unload Griffey or Milton's contract.

At the same time, it would really damage relations with the fanbase. Krivsky and BCast are fighting an uphill battle in trying to win the fans over. Moving to firesale mode when we lead in the wild card would be a public relations catastrophe.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
There's a tinge of guilt when I say it, but I almost agree. I would like to see what Wayne could net in an extreme seller's market. This would be the perfect market to unload Griffey or Milton's contract.

At the same time, it would really damage relations with the fanbase. Krivsky and BCast are fighting an uphill battle in trying to win the fans over. Moving to firesale mode when we lead in the wild card would be a public relations catastrophe.
Yeah, there's no way on earth they could do it. The casual fan (who still isn't coming to the ballpark by the way) would see the standings, then see a "firesale" and not come back for another 10 years.

kyred14
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM

If the fans were smart, they would understand the unloading Griffey's, and especially Milton's contract, would actually help the team. It will never happen, though.

Heath
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
My Milton for Perez idea is dead.

No its not.

It just sends Uncle Miltie to Kansas City.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm sure there are people in the front office who believe Milton is going to play an important role in the outcome of the Reds season. I agree with them.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
If the fans were smart, they would understand the unloading Griffey's, and especially Milton's contract, would actually help the team. It will never happen, though.
Dumping Milton wouldn't phase anybody, but dumping Junior would enduse riots.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm sure there are people in the front office who believe Milton is going to play an important role in the outcome of the Reds season. I agree with them.
I do too. If he can pitch 6 innings of 3 run ball more times than not, this team is going to stick around.

This in itself is not unthinkable. But in order for this to work, Mr. Narron has to realize he can't stretch Milton out for 8 innings.

wolfboy
07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I do too. If he can pitch 6 innings of 3 run ball more times than not, this team is going to stick around.

This in itself is not unthinkable. But in order for this to work, Mr. Narron has to realize he can't stretch Milton out for 8 innings.

Very good point. I just hope it catches on in the dugout.

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
No its not.

It just sends Uncle Miltie to Kansas City.
Do the deal now :D

edabbs44
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Totally agree. I'd like to keep Bray, but Maj might be able to bring back some decent value.

edabbs44
07-25-2006, 05:14 PM
So do I...but it's not the outcome we all want.

oregonred
07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
So many teams in contention, this is the ultimate sellers market for pitching.

A 4-way brew-ha-ha for the AL Wildcard -- slumping White Sox, sideward Yanks, red-hot Twins and Blue Jays. Three of those four teams will be sitting at home in October.

AL West -- Everyone is alive to win the division.
AL East -- Sox look to have the edge over the Yanks
AL Central -- Tigers year

AL Eliminated: Tribe, Royals, O's/D-Rays. 10/14 very much alive

NL West -- Everyone is alive to win the division
NL Central/WC -- Cards, Reds alive for both, Hou/Milw still in WC chase (borderline)
NL East -- Everyone but the Nats can say they are alive for the WC. Phils on borderline. Don't forget the Marlins who have posted one of the best NL records over the past two months.

NL Eliminated: Cubs :), Pirates, Nats. 13/16 still alive

Overall: 23/30 very much in postseason hunt. Only the Tigers and Mets appear secure for the postseason. Looks good for the Cards and Red Sox at this point.