PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Safeco?

wolfboy
07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I am heading to Seattle at the beginning of August, and I was wondering if anyone on the board has been to Safeco. I was thinking of catching (along with a few friends) the 8/5 game against the A's. When I checked this evening, the $7 center field bleacher seats were still available. Has anyone sat in these seats? Are they decent seats? Also, if anyone has any other helpful information about the park/area it would be greatly appreciated!

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I was going to reference this thread, but it appears Safeco hasn't been reported on, although letsgojunior said that she'd do a write up on Safeco. You might want to send her a PM. She's very nice.:luvu:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47406

VR
07-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I am heading to Seattle at the beginning of August, and I was wondering if anyone on the board has been to Safeco. I was thinking of catching (along with a few friends) the 8/5 game against the A's. When I checked this evening, the $7 center field bleacher seats were still available. Has anyone sat in these seats? Are they decent seats? Also, if anyone has any other helpful information about the park/area it would be greatly appreciated!

Parking is brutal and expensive, depending on where you are staying you may want to take Amtrak, drops you off right near the park. Freeway accessibility is brutal before/ after the game as well.

There are a few fun restaurants/ bars in the area, and you're not too far off from downtown Seattle. (maybe a mile walk?)

I haven't sat in the bleacher seats, but I'm surprised the tix are that inexpensive. Just make sure you visit one of the Dixie's BBQ concessions.....good stuff. Overall, this stadium was the most expensive I've been to overall, but a great baseball experience none the less.

Have fun!

RBA
07-25-2006, 06:03 PM

I think those are the same seats I had last year for a Yankees/M's game. I went by myself. SAFECO is pretty impressive with the retractable roof and all. The trains make a lot of noise as the tracks are right next to the ball park. The seats are okay, but to see anything from there bring binoculars.
Parking costs a lot, so carpool or take mass transit to the game. You can get some great snacks, candy, hot dogs, sausages, etc as you walk towards SAFECO from the Seahawks stadium. Lots of people selling. Warning: I bought a bottled soda and couldn't bring it into SAFECO. My crackerjacks, candy, and hot dog/sausges were good to go however. A pretty pleasant experience.

jmcclain19
07-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Make sure you check the weather before you go. A "domed" stadium gives people the idea that the game is inside, but Safeco is more like an outside ballpark with a metal tarp.

I went in mid Sept during a storm and man it was cold. We were donning the winter coats. If any wind kicks up off the Puget Sound you'll be feeling it, that is for sure.

CF seats are pretty good in Safeco. No one will probably admit it, but that was supposed to be Junior's "section". When I saw the Ms in the Kingdom the year before Safeco opened, Junior had a fan club in CF that would scream his name during all the slow parts of the game. It was quite an amusing site. All he had to do was turn around once during the game to acknowledge them and it was like a home run was hit.

If you're a clams fan go to Ivar's - I'd had them before but they opened up a stand at Safeco - not sure where but it was somewhere on the first level. That easily takes the cake for the weirdest food I've ever eaten as a baseball game. The place is crawling with food vendors though. Many you've never heard of.

There are also some good mircobreweries right outside the park.

Mariners fans are also some of the best in baseball. Why they don't get the pub as so, I've never understood.

Enjoy your trip, I consider Safeco one of, if not the best ballpark I've ever been to.

The park is a ways down to the south of the main downtown area, but if you head up to that part of town - make sure to go down to Pike Place Market and get some fish thrown at you. It's not far from the Space Needle and you can walk down and get some seafood down on any of the piers.

westofyou
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Make sure you check the weather before you go.

Everybody from back east must adhere to the reality of the western weather patterns, be prepared, if you are wearing shorts somewhere have pants in your car, never go anywhere without a long sleeve shirt available, the weather can be one way here and another on the other side of a ridge or next to water.

This pretty much applies to the whole coast from San Luis Opisbo to the north.

I've seen a zillion tourists dieing in the freezing fog of San Francisco in shorts and t shirts in August, try not to be one of them.

RBA
07-26-2006, 11:11 AM
This pretty much applies to the whole coast from San Luis Opisbo to the north.

I would make it as far South as Lompoc. But few people don't know where it's located. SLO is close enough.

On a similiar note. When I lived in England, it can snow, hail, rain, warm up to the 60's and sunny in just a 2 hour period.

wolfboy
07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you everyone for the information. It's a great help. My hotel is on 4th Ave. near the library. Mapquest tells me it's about a mile and a 1/3 from there to the ballpark, so we'll probably walk. No driving/parking woes as I won't have a car while I'm there. I'll also be sure to prepare for widely varying weather.

I think we're going to go with the $7 center field bleacher seats. I'll try to give a report on the ballpark when I get back.

Thanks again for all the help!

VR
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Experiencing the Ichiro shrine on the west side is pretty interesting as well.

wolfboy
08-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought I would update this with a little review of my visit and some photographs.

First I should say that the weather was nothing short of perfect while I was there. The daytime temperature was consistently around 75 degrees, with a nice breeze. I don't think I saw a single cloud in the sky while I was in Seattle.

We decided to go to the Monday (8/7) game versus the D-Rays. The walk from our hotel (on 4th) to the ballpark was really nice. I really enjoyed Pioneer Square. It may have been the only "dingy" part of Seattle I saw all weekend. Lots of character in that neighborhood.

By the time we arrived at the ballpark, the game was already underway. We managed to get a mix of tickets for about $6 a person. A friend of ours was already at the park, and his seats were near the 3B line in LF. That's where we sat for the game as well. An usher was nice enough to let us stay in that section, even though our tickets weren't that nice. Apparently, the ushers at Safeco can be fairly uptight (according to the beer man).

I don't want to type too much here, but I'll give a rough summary. The park is gorgeous. I like the design, and it is incredibly clean. I didn't really sample any food (lots and lots of oysters before going to the game :D ) The prices were pretty steep for beer, but not unbearable. The other fans seemed polite and energetic. Overall, I had a really great time. It was definately worth the $6 or so dollars I spent on the ticket.

Here are some pictures from that night:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/100_0715.jpg
the view from across the street

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco1.jpg
another shot of the entrance

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco6.jpg
Our section

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco5.jpg
A view of the outfield

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/Safeco4.jpg
Another view of the field

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco7.jpg
In case you were wondering, Ichiro enjoys boiled rice

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco3.jpg
A group of thugs and miscreants. I'm on the right end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/S1ck130y/safeco8.jpg
Visit Safeco Field. I had fun and so will you!

pedro
08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice pics wolfboy. I'm haven't made it up to Safeco from Portland yet but may try before the season ends.

vaticanplum
08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Boy, they really turn out in groves to see the Devil Rays don't they. Looks like you guys made up about a quarter of the crowd.

wolfboy
08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, it wasn't a big crowd by any means. We tried to make the A's game on Fri or Sat but didn't have the time. I guess for a Monday night, playing the D-Rays, it's what you would expect. The fans that were there were pretty energetic.

vaticanplum
08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Boy, they really turn out in groves to see the Devil Rays don't they. Looks like you guys made up about a quarter of the crowd.

Yeah, that would be droves. It's my last day at my job and we'er celebraitng with alcohol by the way.

Doc. Scott
08-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Now that the Reds are going to Safeco in 2007, there will be no way a RedsZone contingent can avoid making it there.